homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Walk on water problem

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Walk on water problem
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by Thistle:

While cooking breakfast on the beach after his resurrection, Peter calls to Jesus from a boat far out on the water to come and fetch some more fish. As Jesus begins to walk on water over to the boat, he suddenly starts to sink, and an alarmed Peter has to rescue him.

"What's happened, Lord?" he asks, suddenly doubting.

"Well, I didn't have holes in my feet last time, did I?" replies Jesus.

[ 07. July 2005, 00:04: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 128 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe I'm just weird, but I loved it. Funny, new (to me, anyway), didn't seem to be a put down to the Lord in any way, and in fact reminded me of one of the things I love most about him.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there are so many theological holes in that joke that all the funny leaked out.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one beats the Mary joke hands down. It scored top on my giggleometer. [Killing me]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is the worst joke so far. Not funny (was there a punch line), and not offensive in the slightest.

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alicļa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicļa   Email Alicļa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it fascinating how humour is in the mind of the beholder. See I agree with Strath, not funny nor offensive, yet others above find it hilarious. It might have been interesting to do demographics along with the other votes to see where we are all coming from maybe?

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the first one that's made me laugh out loud - but then - this is also the first one I hadn't heard before.
Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Alicia of Scouseland:
I find it fascinating how humour is in the mind of the beholder. See I agree with Strath, not funny nor offensive, yet others above find it hilarious.

And then there's people like me who could only have found it unfunny by finding it offensive. This seems like an either/or joke. EITHER I understand the humour potential of someone with holes in their feet sinking because of the leakage problem while out for a stroll on Lake Galilee; OR I find it offensive that someone should poke fun at the wounds of Jesus and therefore find it unfunny.

For me, I can't see what the middle path is (Anglican that I am [Big Grin] !)

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
serena
Apprentice
# 7649

- Posted      Profile for serena   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that one was brilliant - coming from just an odd enough perspective to appeal to me, I think!

--------------------
S
xXx

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very lame! [Biased]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pānts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pānts*   Author's homepage   Email Pānts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
dumb. edgy, but dumb.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sprocket
Shipmate
# 2547

- Posted      Profile for Sprocket   Email Sprocket   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] I haven't heard this one before. Ok, so there are theological holes, so to speak, but I certainly don't find this offensive.

--------------------
In touch with my inner geek

Posts: 513 | From: close to the great glen | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Long-Johns Silver
Apprentice
# 1763

- Posted      Profile for Long-Johns Silver   Author's homepage   Email Long-Johns Silver   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] cracked me up
don't know why - maybe the idea that holes in the feet would make any difference to walking on water - just so silly!!! [Killing me]

--------------------
"Smile", they said "it could be worse".
So I did...
And it was.

Posts: 49 | From: "The Church" - Church Inn that is :-) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Exegesis Fairy
Shipmate
# 9588

- Posted      Profile for The Exegesis Fairy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MMmm....nah. I actually found this one a bit offensive. The Mary one I thought was brilliant, as with most of the ones with nuns in, but this one...didn't like it so much.

Meh.

--------------------
I can only please one person a day.
Today is not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Posts: 500 | From: the clear blue sky | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like this one. [Snigger]

I'm not offended by it, because I don't take offense at much, but I can see it offending people, so I'd be careful about who I retold it to. For me, the irreverence is part of what makes it funny. It's also just totally absurd on so many levels.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fauja

Lesser known misfit
# 2054

- Posted      Profile for Fauja   Email Fauja   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm... what about jokes about victims of a nail bomb attack? Would that be the same or does the resurrection and/or the passing of time since the incident make it different?
Posts: 829 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016