homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Whoever is without sin

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Whoever is without sin
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by Coaster:

Jesus came upon a small crowd who had surrounded a young woman they believed to be an adulteress. They were preparing to stone her to death.

To calm the situation, Jesus said: "Whoever is without sin among you, let them cast the first stone."

Suddenly, an old lady at the back of the crowd picked up a huge rock and lobbed it at the young woman, scoring a direct hit on her head. The unfortunate young lady collapsed dead on the spot.

Jesus looked over towards the old lady and said: "Do you know, Mother, sometimes you really piss me off."

[ 11. July 2005, 09:00: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 155 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love it! [Killing me]

Of course, this is a very paradoxical joke, because presumably the very desire to stone her to death was sinful in itself, thus Mary (for it was she) would, by virtue of being in the crowd to start with, not be without sin, thus couldn't throw a stone. But now I've confused myself...

It's also a neat jab at the doctrine of Mary's sinlessness as applied to Jesus' comment. It's saying that, had Mary been present when Jesus actually said those words, she would have been justified in lobbing a rock at the adultress. Because she was without sin. Even though Jesus' words are generally interpreted as meaning "none of you is without sin, so leave her alone".

Would Mary have been justified in throuwing a stone? I don't think so, but then I don't believe Mary was without sin. But the joke certainly forces those who do believe that to wonder what Jesus might have said had His mother been there at the time of the actual Biblical incident...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was mildly amusing the first time round, but some jokes wear thin with age.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the twist on the sinlessness of Mary - but I think I would have enjoyed it more without Jesus being so rude to his mother. (I know, I know, there's biblical precedent for that, too)

Somehow, "You know, mother, you're not helping" would have made the same point, but without the 'shock value' of Jesus being so vulgar and disrespectful to any old woman, let alone his mother. I suspect his vulgar and disrespectful comments were reserved for those abusers of power who least deserved respect.

That said, it's pretty darn funny.

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew the joke, and so started laughing when the stone was thrown and didn't read the punchline given. I prefer the version I know which is 'Mother, how could you?' which is punchier than the one given. Had I read it properly, I'd've said 2 not 4 I think.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time I heard that joke it went like this:

Jesus confronted the crowd out to stone a woman caught in adultery. He looked angrily and sorrowfully at the mob and told them:

"You who are without sin cast the first stone."

A rock went whizzing past his ear.

"Oh, Mother, stop it!"

I sort of like the fill in the dots approach.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved this one.
It's witty, rather than just raising a laugh by breaking taboos.
And it relies on a certain amount of religious knowledge, rather just trading on stereotypes.

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first of the 1,568 times that I heard this joke, the punchline was merely, "Mum!"

I agree with the other Ship mate who enjoyed the 'inside joke' quality - I'm sure I laughed the first time I heard this one.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it interesting that Jesus himself didn't cast the first stone.

Or perhaps that is a different version of the joke.....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark M
Shipmate
# 9500

- Posted      Profile for Mark M   Author's homepage   Email Mark M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've loved this one ever since a friend told me it... [Killing me]

--------------------
I only know three words of Latin: deus caritas est.

Posts: 139 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland UK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting

Please expand your post beyond the one or two sentences required to tell us how funny / offensive / bemusing this joke is. Please tell us about why you found it funny / offensive / bemusing and perhaps why your context impinges. You could try some theology. You can in write pretty much what you like about this joke or other peoples reactions to it except how funny / offensive / bemusing it is in one sentence.

Pyx_e

Hosting

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to think about this one and thanks to the people who supplied the elucidation above, without which it probably wouldn't have clicked for a bit.

Funny? Don't know. No, not really. It took me too long to work this one out, by which time the amusement value had dissipated.

Offensive? No, too far removed from religious imagery to be offensive in that context. The main character comes across as a fairly average, even blokey sort letting off steam at his mother. If you don't like swearing or disrespect to old ladies/mothers, it would be offensive in that regard.

Marquis
Apprentice
# 9750

- Posted      Profile for Marquis   Email Marquis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my all time favorites, although the punch line was "Mother, what have I told you about bothering me at work?", which I found to be more subtle.

The joke is funny because it takes a popular story and gives it a very human twist.

I wish more jokes were this human.

--------------------
"I believe that the words Favour", "Owe", and "Big" were used....."

Posts: 28 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked it. The surprise element (for Jesus) of having someone take him at his word in a way he can't rationally object to, but which pisses him off is the key for me. People who are always right, who you can't complain don't follow the rules, but manage to spin things to their advantage and are then innocently smug about it, do in fact piss most of us off from time to time, and its just funny to hear this being done to Jesus.

This particular telling, where Mary strikes the woman dead, is less funny than some - you get the death before the punch-line, and it is an emotionally charged effect that distracts from what is actually funny. Someone just being hit on the head is often funny. Someone being killed is generally fairly serious.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:
The first of the 1,568 times that I heard this joke, the punchline was merely, "Mum!"

The first time I heard it, the punchline was "Mo-ther!" the way a petulant teenager might say it.

Funny because of the image of our Lord and Savior having a point he's trying to make get messed up by his mom as well as the inside knowledge about Mary. For best effect the joke proceeds in quasi-Biblical language--ideally, just quoting the KJV verses--right up till the rock-throwing bit and Jesus' response, which should be narrated in contemporary idiom as quickly as possible. At least, I get more laughs when I tell it that way than any other.

ETA: Agree with Eliab that it works better with just Mary heaving the rock--the death is too strong and therefore distracting from what works in this joke.

[ 08. July 2005, 18:57: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I first heard this joke delivered in the manner that Ruth mentioned - Jesus' words in classic KJV English, very dignified style, until the "Mum!" I, too, think it is more effective without the death - that is a distraction. I also think it is better without mentioning 'old lady' and 'young lady' - just hearing that a rock came hurling is enough.

Of course, both the incident in the Temple when he was aged 12 and the feast at Cana tell us that Jesus could be a bit rude and cheeky - his responding in the voice of an exasperated kid, after the elegant King James language, is quite effective.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once actually began a sermon on Mary with a variation on this joke, although she just lobbed a rock (no word on whether she even got a hit, let alone killed the woman) and the punchline was, "You know, Mother, sometimes you really bug me."

It worked because the Biblical language leading up to the punchline was in keeping with what one might expect in dignified Anglican worship. And after they laughed (and it's worth noting that even the normally understated 8 o'clockers laughed heartily) they listened to the message, which was about the way in which we look at Mary -- normally, only at Christmas -- and how we might look at her.

So even though I know the joke, and even though I didn't care for some elements of this version, I laughed.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul Mason
Shipmate
# 7562

- Posted      Profile for Paul Mason   Email Paul Mason       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back when I was a GLE I wouldn't have found it funny I would have been puzzled that anyone thought Mary was sinless. I would also have found that belief vaguely offensive - but not enough to challenge anyone about it.

Now it's neither offensive nor funny.

--------------------
Now posting as LatePaul

Posts: 452 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the joke is a pop at the belief that Mary is sinless? The idea seems to me to be that her sinlessness would have undermined Christ's redeeming powers in some way that is not really descibed by the joke?

It's averagely funny. Not offensive.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:
It was mildly amusing the first time round, but some jokes wear thin with age.

rather like my hair. But in the case of this joke, it is now bald.

When I first heard it, it was mildly funny, but because it is about a doctrine that I don't agree with ( the sinlessness of Mary ), not very.

I think it makes a very interesting theological point, and so ( in some form ) could be used in a sermon. As with most jokes that I feel could be used in sermons, it isn't really that good, and is inoffensive because it is not against me.

Addendum to add that I can see some people finding it offensive ( in the sermon-type context ) because it supports the sinlessness of Mary. But then some people don't get humour.

[ 09. July 2005, 15:11: Message edited by: Schroedinger's cat ]

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although it’s an old joke, I still find it funny, partly because it assumes a degree of intelligence of the reader (you have to know about the idea of Mary’s sinlessness).

It would have been more funny (and less offensive, not that it’s more than lightly offensive as is) with the briefer endings suggested, as it wouldn’t have involved putting some doubtful language on Jesus’ lips. It’s also funny because it attacks an idea that I find pretty amusing to begin with.

Is it offensive? I can understand some people being offended at a perceived slight to Mary, but then I would wonder if they actually taking the doctrine seriously enough.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul Mason
Shipmate
# 7562

- Posted      Profile for Paul Mason   Email Paul Mason       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Although it’s an old joke, I still find it funny, partly because it assumes a degree of intelligence of the reader (you have to know about the idea of Mary’s sinlessness).

It requires knowledge not intelligence.

--------------------
Now posting as LatePaul

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Mason:
quote:

Er, no, intelligence - you have to apply knowledge of the doctrine. But it hardly seem the thing to quibble over here.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go on, quibble.

P

--------------------

Paul Mason
Shipmate
# 7562

quote:
quote:
quote:

Er, no, intelligence - you have to apply knowledge of the doctrine. But it hardly seem the thing to quibble over here.
Without knowledge of the doctrine there's nothing to apply the intelligence to.

Let me spell it out for you. I'd never heard of this doctrine until recently. That doesn't make me stupid ok?

--------------------
Now posting as LatePaul

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Without knowledge of the doctrine there's nothing to apply the intelligence to.

[Roll Eyes]

So you agree that it requires intelligence to apply the knowledge? Then your assertion that it doesn't require intelligence was wrong.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It should be obvious that you need both. You need the knowledge that Mary was supposed to be without sin, and you need to have enough intelligence to see the connection in the joke. It is my opinion that you don't need a lot of either, though I think intelligence holds the edge. Remember, if you were Roman Catholic you would probably have known this from an early age, but unless you could apply one situation to the other, you still wouldn't understand the joke.

I think it is a very funny joke, but I agree that it is unnecessary to have anything but just a rock flying out from the crowd. Having the woman get killed is too much and takes away from the humor for me.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
angelfish
Shipmate
# 8884

- Posted      Profile for angelfish   Email angelfish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
V funny, because it pokes fun at what I believe is a false doctrine.

Offensive because of the swearing Jesus.

The neat thing about this joke is that it would still be funny (or perhaps funnier) tome without the element I find offensive.

--------------------
"As God is my witness, I WILL kick Bishop Brennan up the arse!"

Posts: 1017 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
only offensive because of the sinless Mary - but then, that's kind of why it's there - making fun of the doctrine of Mary being sinless - as others have already said.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
inquisitiveunbeliever
Apprentice
# 9803

- Posted      Profile for inquisitiveunbeliever   Email inquisitiveunbeliever   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’ve never heard this joke before and it had me in stitches.

I don’t think this joke is meant to be an attack on anyone. I suspect that it is actually a catholic or anglo-catholic joke – the joke is that Mary gets one over on her son. It is also a warning against taking biblical sayings too literally. Moreover, the fact that it needs specific knowledge (or intelligence, I’m not getting into it!) tends to reinforce a group identity – it made me think of my catholic and anglo-catholic friends and have quite a warm feeling!

Of course, a lot of the humour does come from the bathos so to a certain extent it is making fun of Jesus, but really we are on Jesus’ side in this one – we’ve all been there! And jokes that make fun of holy figures tend to reinforce their holiness. After all, it wouldn’t be funny if this was how we expected Mary and Jesus to behave.

I am surprised though at how many people are offended by Jesus using the word ‘piss’. I think ‘you really bug me’ is equally good, but I’d be interested to know why people are particularly put off by this line. After all, what is wrong with showing Jesus being human and, indeed, angry? He wouldn't have gone around overturning tables and healing on the sabbath if he didn’t like to put people’s backs up!

PS I’ve just been told another version of this joke (he called it the ‘Protestant’ version) – instead of Mary throwing the stone, a huge rock falls from the sky and flattens the poor woman. Jesus says “Keep out of it, Dad!” This is a much darker and potentially more critical joke – after all, they are stoning the woman in accordance with the apparent wishes of the God of the Old Testament. Perhaps a lot of Christians would like Him to keep out of it!

--------------------
"It is a misfortune of mine and a fate by which I am plagued that I cannot steal away from history and use my time more profitably." Pius II

Posts: 2 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always liked this one. [Cool]

Even back in my fundamentalist days--the bit about Mary's sinlessness gave it a frisson of taboo. I don't think it's really making mockery of any doctrines. It's just putting pieces together--"if any of you are without sin", Mary was (according to some) without sin, so if you put the two together...

I think the ending I originally heard was "Mother! You've got to stop doing this!". It's been a while since I've told it, but IIRC I have the rock hit the woman, but don't really get into whether she was killed or not. I could just say the rock missed her by a mile, instead. Hmmm.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
corvette
Shipmate
# 9436

- Posted      Profile for corvette     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked this joke - in Carys's version, "Oh Mother!" mostly because the first time i heard ot was from one of the most catholic of catholics i know, in supportive respose to the news i had to put round our largely catholic cohort of friends, that i was no longer part of a couple. It was thus his was of saying, I [and on behalf of this community, we] do not condemn you, how can we help; and i have never forgotten that. Thanks Nat. [Axe murder]

i think the swearing is wrong, doesn't meet with my concepts of what Jesus would do, and i certainly find the stone from heaven version unacceptable.

Posts: 494 | From: ecclesia sans frontiers | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Warm welcome to inquisitiveunbeliever! Hope you like it here.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
tej
Shipmate
# 7913

- Posted      Profile for tej   Email tej   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
the first time I heard this joke the punch line was "Mother put down that stone".
I like that version best.
Mary does not get to throw the stone.

--------------------
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 80 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Glimmer

Ship's Lantern
# 4540

- Posted      Profile for Glimmer   Author's homepage   Email Glimmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fairly funny - requires a by-pass of the 'was Mary sinless' question. Therefore it is more suitable for the vast majority of non-Christian people who have only vague ideas of theology and doctrine.
Two improvements I agree with - the thrown stone does not kill; and Jesus' response is along the lines of 'Oh Mother' with no swearing.
To add the 'I'm at work' tag introduces a parallel joke, that of reducing Jesus' ministry to a sort of day job. But that's still funny, too.

--------------------
The original, unchanged 4540.
The Temple area, Ankh Morpork

Posts: 1749 | From: Ankh Morpork, Dorset | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tej:
the first time I heard this joke the punch line was "Mother put down that stone".
I like that version best.
Mary does not get to throw the stone.

But why should Mary not throw the stone, is she is truly sinless?

And since the whole point of stoning was to kill the accused person, why should a stone thrown legitimately not then kill the victim?

The more people try to change the joke so that Mary doesn't throw the stone, or the stone once thrown doesn't kill, the more I love the original version presented here.

My reason for that is this: if Mary truly was sinless she had every right, according to Jesus' own words, to kill the woman. So she did [Big Grin] .

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Oh, and addition that missed the edit window: Jesus' exasperation is a great punchline, because we all know He was really trying to get the mob to leave the woman alone. But according to the doctrine of Mary's sinlessness He chose his words very badly indeed [Razz]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

The Lady of the Lake
Shipmate
# 4347

- Posted      Profile for The Lady of the Lake   Email The Lady of the Lake   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time I heard this joke I found it funny and still find it funny, but not because I was thinking of Mary's sinlessness (in which as a good protestant I disbelieve). I found it funny (and alarming) because I felt that it was making fun of the matriarchal undertow that often sees itself as the moral lynchpin of patriarchal groups. In other words, after hearing the joke, I imagined the original Biblical story with the men preparing to cast stones, but their motives were partly in order to honour the old matriarch by confirming her sense of not-being-an-adulteress and therefore of being the right sort of woman.

--------------------
If I had a coat, I would get it.

Posts: 1272 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marquis
Apprentice
# 9750

- Posted      Profile for Marquis   Email Marquis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first heard this joke the punchline was "Mother, how many times have I asked you not to bother me while I'm at work"?, which I find more funny than Christ being pissed off. It makes the joke more human (?) and highlights the relationship between Christ as man in conjuction with Christ as devine.

--------------------
"I believe that the words Favour", "Owe", and "Big" were used....."

Posts: 28 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

- Posted      Profile for Basket Case   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the image of a little old lady picking up a boulder & heaving it at the adultress.

I also love what Jesus says in this version, it sounds like a petulant teenager whose mother has just made him look silly.

Posts: 1157 | From: Pomo (basket) country | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raspberry Rabbit

Will preach for food
# 3080

- Posted      Profile for Raspberry Rabbit   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My goodness these jokes are all so old. It's like nobody has come up with a decent religious joke later than about 1982.

--------------------
...naked pirates not respecting boundaries...
(((BLOG)))

Posts: 2215 | From: In the middle of France | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Deon
Shipmate
# 609

- Posted      Profile for Deon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fool of a Took:
I like the twist on the sinlessness of Mary - but I think I would have enjoyed it more without Jesus being so rude to his mother. (I know, I know, there's biblical precedent for that, too)

I agree.

The best version I know has the following punchline:

"And Jesus, quite exasperated, turned to the woman and said: "That wasn't an ORDER, Mother!"

Also solves the problem of Mary's "sin", I think...

Cheers

Posts: 392 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
DaveF
Apprentice
# 10538

- Posted      Profile for DaveF     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually like the "piss me off" - adds a second and third layer to the joke albeit not especially good ones.

a) Mary is without sin - a nice joke on that issue. It does work well with that insiders "think about it..." aspect. Also raises theological issues about it.

b) Jesus is rude, wow shock value! Not clever but has humour of itself.

c) Mothers show us up. Even at our most public and respected moments a mother can do that to you. Jesus had a "human" relationship with his mother - hmm more interesting theology. I don't think this point is as well made with "Oh mother" or "Stop it mum". The true frustration comes with "you really piss me off" . Maybe "Why Do you always have have to ruin everything mother?" would do as well? But you need to get the pacing right - ideally "Mother" should come not as the last or first word.

--------------------
DaveF

-lucy-
Shipmate
# 10465

- Posted      Profile for -lucy-   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I actually like the "piss me off" - adds a second and third layer to the joke
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]
I agree. I love this joke! It never fails to amuse me!
I love it, I love it, I love it! [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Posts: 592 | From: East Yorkshire | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by (gracia):
I love the image of a little old lady picking up a boulder & heaving it at the adultress.

Except that she would have been no older than 50 - hardly a little old lady.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A peasant woman of 50 in that day and age would probably have looked like a little old lady, don't you think?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

I suppose so. I've just been reminded of when I used to work at Claire's Accessories and had to dress up for some promotion. Apparenty, I looked like a "Balkan village woman". [Confused]

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

Tease.

P

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016