homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » When I grow up...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: When I grow up...
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by Ian Climacus:

Sister Brigid was teaching her young students one day and she asked each of them what they would like to be when they grew up. She came to a little girl who responded, "When I grow up I want to be a prostitute."

Shocked, good Sister Brigid fainted on the spot. Her students rushed to revive her. When she came around, Sister asked the little girl, "What did you say you wanted to be when you grew up?"

The little girl replied, "A prostitute."

"Oh thank goodness," the relieved nun replied. "I thought you said a Protestant."

[ 07. July 2005, 00:04: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 127 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

- Posted      Profile for Xavierite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] every time...
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's absolutely brilliant!
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard about four versions of that joke, but it's just as funny every time.

In the version that I have heard most often, it was the Monsignor who had been to the graduation ceremony at a Catholic girls' school, and afterwards he was speaking with each of the girls about their future plans.

Catherine told him that she was going to be the bride of Christ, and enter the convent, and he was filled with joy, then Maria said that she was going to go away and train to be a teacher, then whe would return to the school to teach young girls to be good Caholics, and he was filled with joy. Then he got to Bernadette, who said that she wanted to be a prostitute, and the joke follows from there.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Roll Eyes] Heard this one before, it didn't do anything for me then either. [Snore]

[ 06. July 2005, 05:28: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe I would have found it funnier if I hadn't known who was telling the joke. Because of the teller, the joke was just predictable.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. Please don't tell me anyone thought that was funny.

C

--------------------
arse

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a red rag to my bull(sh*t). I found it funny.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]
A former girlfriend became Episcopalian while we were dating. She went home one time and told her Irish Catholic mother "I have something to tell you."

Her mother instantly said "You're pregnant".

"No Mom, I've become an Epsicopalian."

Her mother said "Why couldn't you be pregnant?"
[/tangent]

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Basso, why not send your joke in rather than posting it to the threads?

--------------------------------------

I like this joke. It's an amusing play on the separation between Catholic and Protestant (open and closed tables and all that).

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

molitva
Shipmate
# 7859

- Posted      Profile for molitva     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Sarkycow. It pokes gentle fun by caricaturing the ordering of priorities among some religious.

More generally, it's fascinating reading this board to see the range of reactions to the jokes, and even the degrees of comprehension (some shipmates freely admit to not even "getting" them, never mind being offended).

Posts: 80 | From: Astana | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like it very much. Pokes fun at our sectarianism. It works because we know it is better for the girl to be a Protestant than a prostitute and- uh. Well... let's just say we do, even if we don't... and so the sectarianism is held up for mild ridicule.

When I first heard this joke (many years ago) it was very refreshing for me having come from the other side of the issue (ie. Catholic -ve, non-C. +ve).

[ 07. July 2005, 11:32: Message edited by: The Coot ]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did find this one quite funny. It reminds me of what actually could have been said by some of the good Sisters (from Cork) who educated me.

Perhaps it has more humour for me because I am older than some other Ship mates. I can well remember when we prayed daily for the 'return of heretics to the throne of Peter,' and when association with Protesh-tants was thought to put the faith in danger and so forth. A prostitute could be saved (look at Magdalene, after all) - but one who became Protestant (or married one in the registry office) was condemned to eternal fire.

Your C of E apostate,

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Long-Johns Silver
Apprentice
# 1763

- Posted      Profile for Long-Johns Silver   Author's homepage   Email Long-Johns Silver   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No. Please don't tell me anyone thought that was funny.
Ok Look away now.....

I thought it was Brilliant!!

Now you can look again....

[Snigger]

--------------------
"Smile", they said "it could be worse".
So I did...
And it was.

Posts: 49 | From: "The Church" - Church Inn that is :-) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016