homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Judas, Judas

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Judas, Judas
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This joke submitted by Ariel:

Jesus is on the cross, and he calls out: "Judas! Judas!"

Judas rushes up to him, but before he can get there is intercepted by the soldiers, who break both his arms and push him down the hill.

Once more, Jesus calls out: "Judas! Judas!"

"I’m coming, Lord!" says Judas and struggles up the hill, but as before is intercepted by the soldiers, who break both his legs and throw him back down the hill.

A third time, Jesus calls out: "Judas! Judas!"

"Yes Lord," Judas replies faintly, and he has himself towed up the hill on a little trolley. This time the soldiers don't stop him and he gets there OK. "What is it Lord?"

"Judas," says Jesus, "I can see your house from here."

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 140 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first heard this one it had Peter as the fall guy of the joke. In that version it was a good skit on people taking "The Word Of God" far too seriously all the time, viz. Peter's willingness to get to the foot of the cross despite losing all his limbs, when all he was getting there for was "I can see your house from here".

With Judas as the fall guy, though, there's a very different dynamic to the gag. It becomes ambiguous - why would Jesus' betrayer be so desperate to hear His Word? Is he hoping for forgiveness for his betrayal before Jesus dies? - if so the joke takes on a melancholy feel when the absolution isn't forthcoming.

In summary, the funniness of the anticlimatic payoff depends greatly on the established relationship between the players. IMO, that funniness is far greater when the fall guy is a devoted disciple looking for one more word of Divine Teaching (Peter) than when he is (presumably) seeking only absolution (Judas).

Just my £0.02.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the best one so far! [Killing me]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
With Judas as the fall guy, though, there's a very different dynamic to the gag. It becomes ambiguous - why would Jesus' betrayer be so desperate to hear His Word? Is he hoping for forgiveness for his betrayal before Jesus dies? - if so the joke takes on a melancholy feel when the absolution isn't forthcoming.

I'd heard it with Peter too. I think it's a bit more amusing with Judas, though, because I read it as Jesus getting his sadistic revenge by putting Judas through the wringer for no good reason. And I'm nasty enough to find this funny.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find this sick, blasphemous and not even funny. I don't generally like Jesus jokes unless they're made by him.

The exception is the one about the black man excluded from a white South African church, who is joined on the doorstep by Jesus saying 'Don't worry, son, I haven't been able to get in there myself for years'. This is both funny and accurate about the character of Jesus.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that is funny.

C

--------------------
arse

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Esmeralda's joke was good.

Unfortunately this joke kind of lost me at the beginning. I thought, "Hadn't Judas hanged himself by the time Christ was on the cross?" Perhaps not. But I got confused.

Oh, that I was not so uptight!
[Help]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark M
Shipmate
# 9500

- Posted      Profile for Mark M   Author's homepage   Email Mark M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Unfortunately this joke kind of lost me at the beginning. I thought, "Hadn't Judas hanged himself by the time Christ was on the cross?" Perhaps not. But I got confused.

I kind of thought that too, but really, you could substitute anyone's name, couldn't you?

--------------------
I only know three words of Latin: deus caritas est.

Posts: 139 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland UK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could also view it as Jesus getting his own back on Judas for betraying him. Not very scriptural, but makes us mere humans feel better as some sort of rough justice is seen to be done.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly Jesters hat on

Welcome to the new board everyone!

Please don't forget if you have a new joke to send it to the link at the top of this board so that it can be included in the competition.

Hostly Jesters hat off

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Iggy
Shipmate
# 8833

- Posted      Profile for Iggy   Email Iggy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do remember this very ancient joke from the school playground, so I'm afraid my main reaction was a yawn, through sheer familiarity. I think I remember finding it quite funny when I was about twelve.

I wonder how old the joke actually is ? Do you think it was around in 1st Century Palestine ?

--------------------
ig

Posts: 127 | From: Brighton | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CRAP!

This was the one I was gonna submit. [Frown] Phooey.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Glimmer

Ship's Lantern
# 4540

- Posted      Profile for Glimmer   Author's homepage   Email Glimmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snore] Heard it in school. And it was Peter, although John would have been more apposite.

--------------------
The original, unchanged 4540.
The Temple area, Ankh Morpork

Posts: 1749 | From: Ankh Morpork, Dorset | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LupinPooter
Apprentice
# 9690

- Posted      Profile for LupinPooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Along with Ian Climacus I thought Judas was dead by that point.

It did still make me laugh till coffee came out of my nose. Possibly because it's mean and vindictive and that amuses me - oh dear!

--------------------
"he had read and absorbed more than he could understand so he lived by pastiche and pretence"

Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't grasp it -- I'm with Ian C on this one. For jokes about "real" stuff to be really funny, they at least need to work with the accepted facts. Also, along with Esmeralda, I found it rather sick.

ETA that this character Jesus is nothing like Jesus as I understand him.

[ 05. July 2005, 15:36: Message edited by: Foolhearty ]

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foolhearty:
Also, along with Esmeralda, I found it rather sick.

FWIW I agree. I was told this joke many years ago and didn't care much for it. It stuck in my mind, though, and looking on the internet I see it's fairly well established now with variants - the Peter one seems more common but this was as it was told to me.

Odd how some things linger. I never could quite forget this joke, probably because the imagery involved is vicious, and for that reason I don't find it funny (any more than I ever found the crucifixion scene in "The Life of Brian" funny). I can see how people could find this joke funny, though, and I think using "Judas" instead of "Peter" adds an extra twist to it. But I don't like it myself.

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the joke that I have found to be the funniest, because I find it to be so deliciously wicked and from someone who's not expected to be evil. It's like the little old ladies at church telling dirty jokes ... delightfully unexpected.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Flausa, I found it funny because it's so unexpected.
I also found it moderately offensive - I would not want to tell this joke to anyone else.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this joke before, with Peter as the subject. Slightly offensive I thought, as in I wouldn't tell it myself out of respect, but I don't think I would be offended by hearing it.
Only mildly funny for me, maybe because as soon as I started reading it I thought, this is supposed to be Peter. odd.

[ 05. July 2005, 18:55: Message edited by: Lady Alicia of Scouseland ]

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In summary, the funniness of the anticlimatic payoff depends greatly on the established relationship between the players. IMO, that funniness is far greater when the fall guy is a devoted disciple looking for one more word of Divine Teaching (Peter) than when he is (presumably) seeking only absolution (Judas).

I find it works the other way: with Judas, you're expecting a deep and moving scene of reconciliation, and so the bathos is much greater when all you get is "I can see your house from up here."

quote:
Originally posted by Foolhearty:
ETA that this character Jesus is nothing like Jesus as I understand him.

I find that rather nullifies the offensiveness - the joke Jesus has so little to do with the real Jesus that as a slur on his character it misses utterly.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

I find it works the other way: with Judas, you're expecting a deep and moving scene of reconciliation, and so the bathos is much greater when all you get is "I can see your house from up here."
Undoubtedly. I just find it less funny that way, probably because the idea that Jesus would turn someone seeking forgiveness away like that disturbs me.

Whereas the idea of Jesus doing it to an over-zealous worshipper has me in stitches...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one did nothing for me. In fact, I could not figure out whether Jesus was supposed to be delirious or vindictive.

There are too many images in this joke that do not seem to have a coherent connection. The soldiers' breaking Judas' bones is puzzling - one knows they did that to the thieves to be sure they were dead, so it's a distraction. In the Peter version (not that I especially liked that one, either), Jesus's calling out to Peter somehow made more sense - it did not seem to be revenge, and hearkened back to when Jesus was doing the earlier healing at Peter's house. I had the impression of one calling out to forgive Peter, then having the delirium of the crucifixion make him come out with a confused statement. (Moments leading up to death are so difficult for those watching that I think I'm not alone in having found some comic relief in the odd things people say towards the end.)

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blank incomprehension here. I just can't see how it is supposed to be funny. Not offended though. Just bemused.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting

Please expand your post beyond the one or two sentences required to tell us how funny / offensive / bemusing this joke is. Please tell us about why you found it funny / offensive / bemusing and perhaps why your context impinges. You could try some theology. You can in write pretty much what you like about this joke or other peoples reactions to it except how funny / offensive / bemusing it is in one sentence.

Pyx_e

Hosting

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Marvin:
I just find it less funny that way, probably because the idea that Jesus would turn someone seeking forgiveness away like that disturbs me.

Yer. Agree with this. I could enjoy it more if it was Peter. It's a bit cruel with Judas as the fall guy. Am still struggling to be offended though.

Saying something outrageous as a joke works best when there is no chance of it being true. eg. I might say to a friend: 'So, did you pull at the Mardi Gras?' when I know that he is unwaveringly straight and was actually in a nearby church holding a prayer meeting asking God to open the eyes of the participants to their unchaste behaviour...

With Peter we know he has fullness of life in Jesus. With Judas... dunno.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came across the version with Peter in it for the first time when I was checking that I'd remembered this one correctly, and it surprised me. I hadn't heard it before and didn't think it worked half as well. It left me a bit nonplussed.

Judas is generally recognizable whether you come from a Christian background or not, after all the name even passed into the language as a synonym for traitor, and the theme of vindictiveness/looking for forgiveness in this version works I think, but Peter seemed to me like pretty much a random choice. It could just as well have been Matthew, John or any of the other apostles and consequently for me it had a lot less impact. Mostly you come across Peter in jokes as the Heavenly Gatekeeper, and if you aren't particularly Christian that's probably more or less what you associate with him.

I think you have to know more about Christianity to get the Peter version. Yes, it's a joke and you can still find it funny as it is without knowing about Christianity, but if there is any significance in having Peter as the other character that isn't as obvious. Especially in the light of above remarks about his having fullness of life or thinking back to the healing at his house. That's not the sort of thing that's going to occur to your average person in the street. I found the Judas version more accessible.

Long-Johns Silver
Apprentice
# 1763

- Posted      Profile for Long-Johns Silver   Author's homepage   Email Long-Johns Silver   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For jokes about "real" stuff to be really funny, they at least need to work with the accepted facts.
couldn't agree less!! [Ultra confused]
many jokes are funny STORIES!!!! they couldn't really happen [brick wall]

--------------------
"Smile", they said "it could be worse".
So I did...
And it was.

Posts: 49 | From: "The Church" - Church Inn that is :-) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This joke portrays Jesus as a total asshat and that is putting it mildly.

How offensive you find that depends on your beliefs.

1 for humour. 2 for offence.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like the Peter version better, too. In that version, Christ isn't malicious, just daft - even to the point of not getting that he's being tortured, and amusing himself with the view. I don't care for the Judas version because it does cast Christ as a sadistic avenger, and it also makes the punchline less funny to me. For the revenge on Judas to work, Christ could equally say, "Gotcha!" or anything else.

I think I like Peter better than John, too, since with Peter we have the whole back story of the disciple who was devoted to Christ but also kept making mistakes and being stupid. This joke seems to fit Peter's character best, IMO.

[eta: This is another where a distinction between "religiously" and "morally" offensive would help. The small bit of offense I took was in making sadistic revenge a punch-line, not in the setting or that it's about Jesus on the cross. FWIW, I think the Life of Brian scene (and the whole movie) is hilarious.]

[ 22. August 2005, 21:48: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016