homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » The Trinity's holiday

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Trinity's holiday
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by alienfromzog and Sacristy Rate:

The Trinity were planning a holiday. The Spirit, manifesting the creative part of the divine nature, was coming up with the ideas. "Let's go to New York," he suggested.

"No, no, no," said the Father, "They're all so liberated, they'll spend the whole time calling me 'Mother' and it will just do my head in."

So the Spirit sat back and thought. "I know, what about Jerusalem?" he said. "It's beautiful and then there's the history and everything."

"No way!" the Son declared. "After what happened the last time, I'm never going there again!"

At this point, the Spirit got annoyed and went off in a huff. Sometime later he returned and found that the Father and Son had had a idea they both thought was excellent:

"Why don't we go to Rome?" said the Son.

"Perfect!" cried the Holy Spirit. "I've never been there before!"

[ 16. July 2005, 18:13: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 94 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really like this one, though the concept is an old one. It would be funnier in Italian, I believe, because no one in Italy has any illusions about the hierarchy's being the sum of perfection. No one thinks that the voice of the superior is the voice of God - but all would know, in a sly and wry mode, that those in authority can hide behind that they are speaking on the Spirit's behalf.

At one time, not so many years ago, cars registered in Vatican City all had "SCV" as the first three letters on their vehicle identifications. The letters stand for the Italia words for 'Holy Vatican City,' but the inside joke was that it meant 'If Christ could see.'

However, this is a joke which I believe could only be effective and inoffensive if told by a Catholic. Were it told by anyone who is a latter-day version of those who drew caricatures for Edward VI, it could be highly offensive. I've heard similar jokes many times, and the joke is about the hierarchy, not the faith. Were it told to show "Rome is in error - Catholics are going to hell," the humour would be lost.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Less funny than it could have been because it's really the same joke as the one about the three Marys. Obviously, the butt of the joke is something different but it's exactly the same formula.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Superslug
Shipmate
# 7024

- Posted      Profile for Superslug   Email Superslug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was funnier a few years back ( but after certain well reported activities) when the place in question was Toronto.

--------------------
I was 'educated' in the UK in the 70s and early 80s. Therefore, please feel free to correct my grammar and punctuation. I need to know!

Posts: 464 | From: Hessle, East Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not offensive because it's not directed against God but against a bit of the Church.

And I'm starting to wonder if it's always like this. Can a joke be directed against God? Many make fun of beliefs, priests, religious practices. Some make fun of Jesus, which is getting closer. Some mock our ideas of God, but even that is not the same as mocking God.

The question then is whether we can detach our trust in God from all the accretions of church, piety and language. If we can, then nothing is offensive.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that it's funnier told by a Catholic.

The good friend who told it to me was, unlike me a Catholic.

I like it because it has three punchlines.

A friend of mine who is Anglican always tells it with Canterbury instead of Rome

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Australia the punchline refers to a certain large city in New South Wales.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Coyote
Apprentice
# 9234

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Coyote   Email Uncle Coyote       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps this would have been funnier if San Francisco were used; I don't know about the rest of the US, but New York isn't judged the epicenter of liberalism in my neck of the woods.
Posts: 5 | From: Political Fallout Shelter, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did find this joke offensive, but only because the punchline seemed to allude to the "all Catholics are bound for Hell and the Catholic Church is the Great Whore of Babylon" idea.

If another Catholic were to tell me this joke, I would probably just wince and chuckle!!

And no, New York City is not considered the "Sin City" of the United States or the capital of liberalism. We're a pretty mixed lot here.

Pax Romana

[ 05. September 2005, 16:02: Message edited by: Pax Romana ]

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
jakecarm
Apprentice
# 10372

- Posted      Profile for jakecarm   Email jakecarm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that this was the funniest of all.

--------------------
Be joyful

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aj:
In Australia the punchline refers to a certain large city in New South Wales.

Wollongong? Newcastle?

[ 27. September 2005, 02:53: Message edited by: anglicanrascal ]

Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016