homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Da Vinci Code   » Exploring Gnosticism (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Exploring Gnosticism
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This follows a brief exchange with Papio and a quick check with Callan about the appropriate board.

Gnosticism has been bubbling in and out of a number of the threads on DVC, and there are, very clearly, some wide variations in view. So I thought it might be good to have a thread devoted to exploring Gnosticism. Basically, anything goes. Its historical basis, key documents, significance in the early church, spiritual/ethical pros and cons, reasons for re-awakened interest today.

Two quite good online resources are this website and this one. Folks may know others.

A personal POV. After a fair bit of study, I'm not a fan. Unlike Papio for example, I find it hard to relate to its underlying cosmology and explanation of evil in the world - and rather like Moo I'm not at all keen on the idea of being in some way "saved" or "liberated" by knowledge. I detect, sort of, a certain relativism and elitism in it. But that is just a personal view.

Over to you

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent links.

I just don't get why Valentus, random example gnostic man, has more credibility that David Icke - random example new age man. Of course that leaves me with the problem of why I put such confidence in Mathew, Mark, Luke and John ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

- Posted      Profile for A Feminine Force   Author's homepage   Email A Feminine Force   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi,

For thoughtful commentary and background, try:

http://www.gnosis.org

Best site by far IMHO.

Cheers
FF

--------------------
C2C - The Cure for What Ails Ya?

Posts: 2115 | From: Kingdom of Heaven | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I just don't get why Valentus, random example gnostic man, has more credibility that David Icke - random example new age man. Of course that leaves me with the problem of why I put such confidence in Mathew, Mark, Luke and John ...

Whereas I don't get why he has less credibility than Aquinas - esp as he made more sense!!!
[Razz]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Siena

Ship's Bluestocking
# 5574

- Posted      Profile for Siena   Author's homepage   Email Siena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the issues I have with the early gnostics (and I haven't a clue about the modern ones) is that they are SO VERY misogynistic - by and large surpassing anything the ECFs had to say on the subject of women.

One of the biggest giggles/eyerolls I got from the DVC was its using the Gospel of Philip to bolster its "feminist" POV. The Gospel of Philip has Christ assuring us that Mary Magdalene will be saved "by making her male." Nice.

--------------------
The lives of Christ's poor people are starved and stunted; their wages are low; their houses often bad and insanitary and their minds full of darkness and despair. These are the real disorders of the Church. Charles Marson

Posts: 709 | From: San Diego, California, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sienna

I think that's saying 114 in the Gospel of Thomas. You can find it here. Just scroll down. But I think your general point bears study - one of the issues of Gnosticism in NT times for me is its understanding of women. More later - I'm a bit pushed for time.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

- Posted      Profile for A Feminine Force   Author's homepage   Email A Feminine Force   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Sienna,

Bart Ehrman explains the general worldview that supports early gnostic writing. From "Lost Christianities" :

quote:
...in the ancient world, the world of this text, people generally understood gender relations differently than we do. Today we tend to think of men and women as two kinds of the same thing. There are humans, and they are either male or female. In the ancient world, genders were not imagined like that. For ancient people, male and female were not two kinds of human, they were two degrees of human.

As we know from medical writers, philosophers, poets, and others, women in the Greek and Roman worlds were widely understood to be imperfect men. ...

...Lifeless things are less perfect than living;plants are less perfect than animals;animals less perfect than humans;women less perfect than men; men less perfect than gods. ... For a woman to be perfected, she must first pass along the continuum and become a man.

So it's not a misogynism unique to gnostics, it's a misogynism that permeated the marketplace of ideas in ancient Roman and Greek cultures.

It's not as if there wasn't plenty of patriarchalism in the proto-orthodox communities either. The entire early church can be said to be tarred with a similar brush.

The gnostics believed that the Christ logos was come to perfect both men and women so that they could attain to the kingdom, not as male or female, but as beings restored to their original unity.

FF

--------------------

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The modern label Gnosticism groups together a fairly broad range of ideas and beliefs which, in total, were likely not all shared by any one group of beleivers. Indeed, the Sethian forms of Gnosticism were not remotely Christian in any sense at all. Thus, some of the assertions in this thread are true for some forms of what we would call Gnosticism today, but certainly were not true of Gnosticism in general.

For instance, while there is little doubt that the above examples and analyses are accurate for the mysogyny they represent, the Nag Hamadi Library also contains The Gospel of Mary and The Thunder, Perfect Mind which are more feminist than virtually anything in the Christian cannon of that period or earlier.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Siena

Ship's Bluestocking
# 5574

- Posted      Profile for Siena   Author's homepage   Email Siena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barnabas - you're right (I can't ever keep them straight).

AFF, I'm a big Bart Ehrman fan (and his Da Vinci Code book is excellent), and I understand the point he's making - and it reinforces the point I made. The classical world as a general rule didn't hold women in high regard (whether they worshipped female deities or not), which is why Christianity's message is such a revolutionary one. I see much early gnosticism as a step backwards into the status quo from the liberating "in Christ there is no male or female..." I'm not launching a defense of the ECFs as feminists, or anything like that, believe me - I'm making the point that the gnostics were worse.

Other issues I have with early gnosticism is its negative view of flesh/the physical world, which I see in contradiction to the view put forth in Genesis that creation is good. It also seems to me, as others have commented, that this pursuit of esoteric knowledge as leading to salvation is a denial of grace - "knowledge salvation" as a subset of "works salvation" perhaps.

ETA Cross-posted with Mertseger, who made the point I forgot to, which is there wasn't exactly a unified gnostic theology....

[ 13. April 2006, 23:08: Message edited by: Sienna ]

--------------------
The lives of Christ's poor people are starved and stunted; their wages are low; their houses often bad and insanitary and their minds full of darkness and despair. These are the real disorders of the Church. Charles Marson

Posts: 709 | From: San Diego, California, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Thanks AFF. I know you're well into this stuff. What you say links directly into the Gnostic view of Genesis and the Fall - and also the Creator. That may be a lot to digest for folks unfamiliar with these ideas. So from the Gnostic website, here is a page which I've looked at a lot - and I guess you have as well.

The Gnostic World View

Its an oversimplification, but as a way of getting into some of the strangeness of this, the Gnostic world view sees the Fall as the Creator's fault, rather than an act of human rebellion. But that's because the Creator is a sort of flawed aspect of God (the God behind God). The Fall is a sort of punishment for human curiosity - I think the Creator is seen as some sort of half-aware semi-deity control freak, responsible for the entry of pain and suffering into the world. (Folks who understand the linked page more deeply, please feel free to comment.)

This fundamentally different way of looking at God is, I think, at the heart of ancient Gnostic thinking. And of course it does have a major impact on the way everything else is seen. Not just men and women.

AFF I think you are quite right to point to the patriarchal influences explicit in pre-Christian Jewish thought and early Christian thought. But I think the misogyny of the Gnostics is a different sort of misogyny. Culturally, women were property for millenia. I think it was some combination of this prevailing culture - plus the theological take on the Fall - that produced the different types of misogyny.

(I hope this hasn't become double dutch already - some of these notions are hard to get your head around if you're not used to them, but I think they are helpful in understanding why the ideas produced such battles in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th centuries).

--------------------

A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

Well, if you insist that gnostics were especially misogynistic, more so than any other religious group, then I think I have to disagree.

This idea that women are physically imperfect, inferior to men, etc. is one that stuck with us right up until the suffrage movement of the early 20th century.

I don't see anything inordinately hateful towards women in the gnostic worldview, no more so than, say, Freud's idea that I lack a penis and therefore I envy yours. It's peculiar, and mistaken, but it's a product of the understanding of its time, and we've simply outgrown these ideas since then.

The church is having its own outgrowing pains, witness the debate about the ordination of women.

Some ideas are great while they last, but as our understanding of our human condition grows, some will naturally find themselves on the dustheap. This doesn't mean the the whole gnostic canon needs to be rejected, any more than Pauls grousing about women means I should reject the orthodox canon.

FF

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

AFF

No, just different! In a way, its a classic illustration of some of the problems of these sorts of discussions. People tend to take sides too quickly without really looking at what was - and is - going on. For example, I really liked your analogy with Freudianism - that's another classical illustration of how a whole understanding of the way we think and feel carried into it (I suspect without Freud knowing it) some very unfortunate over(and under)tones of female inferiority - the idea that women "lack" something. And yet of course Freudian understandings do contain some very good insights into the pain of human existence, despite this.

Basically, I'm all for people coming to turns with these sorts of things - that in all sorts of human endeavours to understand, you get flashing insight coupled with "black hole" blindness. The wheat grows with the weeds. It's one of the reasons why I called this thread Exploring Gnosticism, not Criticising Gnosticism. My own wanderings through it have led me to some critical conclusions, but I've found it very illuminating nevertheless.

--------------------

SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have known charismatic Christians with extraordinarily elaborate demonologies. They can tell you - if you stand still for long enough - the names and roles of dozens of demons, how they operate and how they can be opposed.

Of course one wonders where all their informatin comes from, and doesn't get very satisfactory answers. But more annoying is their smug air of elitism, not only that they are cognoscenti, but that they are involved in an apocalyptic war of which the rest of us blithely ignorant.

Fairly or unfairly, I've always bunched gnostics together with them, since I first came across their occult cosmologies and elusive gnosis.

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Posted by me on the other thread:
Further on the Gospel of Thomas and women - surely it is a legimate interpretation of the possible addition to the end of that Gospel to say that women were frowned upon in that society, and so what it means by making themselves like men is that they can rise above the prejudices against them with the nobility of spirit that is part of Gnostic teaching? Indeed, to rise above those men who are not chosen. They become male not by ceasing to be female, but by becoming the chosen.

This is not really misogony, is it?

[ 14. April 2006, 08:50: Message edited by: Papio ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by SteveTom:
Of course one wonders where all their informatin comes from, and doesn't get very satisfactory answers. But more annoying is their smug air of elitism, not only that they are cognoscenti, but that they are involved in an apocalyptic war of which the rest of us blithely ignorant.

Fairly or unfairly, I've always bunched gnostics together with them, since I first came across their occult cosmologies and elusive gnosis.

Do you know what else doesn't seem to "get very satisfactory answers"?

It's the question of why we should just happily except the present canon, with a happy and completely uncynical smile on our faces because the Church, or God we are told by some, says it is right so it must be. It just a bit uncritical and passive.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

PerkyEars

slightly distracted
# 9577

- Posted      Profile for PerkyEars   Email PerkyEars   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's the question of why we should just happily except the present canon, with a happy and completely uncynical smile on our faces because the Church, or God we are told by some, says it is right so it must be. It just a bit uncritical and passive.

Its been a long time since I tried (and failed) to read the Gnostic gospels. Apart from Thunder, Perfect Mind, which I did read often when I was a Pagan, they've been sitting on my shelf for upwards of 10 years. The canonical ones I now read very, very often. And being the sort of person who can't wade through something that I'm getting nothing out of just because I'm suppose to like it, that sort of settles the issue for me.

Its a question of intuitively feeling what nourishes me and what doesn't. However, I don't think I infallibly know whats good for me, so the fact that there are books that are supposed to be taken more seriously than others is a guide - which draws on the feelings of lots of other people on the subject, and which in humility I will accept.

I think that humilty itself is the important thing, more so than the details - its about realising we can't figure it all out ourselves, and weakening our egos. This is an unfashionable perspective I know, which you might think was uncritical and passive, but I'm not sure I'd be taking it if in my own judgement I'd felt no difference between the canon and the others. Its a bit of both.

Posts: 532 | From: Bristol | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
The modern label Gnosticism groups together a fairly broad range of ideas and beliefs which, in total, were likely not all shared by any one group of beleivers. Indeed, the Sethian forms of Gnosticism were not remotely Christian in any sense at all. Thus, some of the assertions in this thread are true for some forms of what we would call Gnosticism today, but certainly were not true of Gnosticism in general.

For instance, while there is little doubt that the above examples and analyses are accurate for the mysogyny they represent, the Nag Hamadi Library also contains The Gospel of Mary and The Thunder, Perfect Mind which are more feminist than virtually anything in the Christian cannon of that period or earlier.

Just an aside, the Gospel of Mary was found earlier than the Nag Hammadi collection. Here's the history of the sources.

I know from background reading that your general point about the variability of Gnosticism is right. I think some of the basic ideas pre-date Christianity. As a Christian, what fascinates me is the interplay during the first 2 or 3 centuries of the faith of various understandings (which included at least some Gnostic Christians, or Christianised Gnostics) and what eventually emerged as orthodoxy. I don't know very much about what forms of Gnosticism pre-dated the battle - my reading hasn't taken me into that yet. Can you recommend a good source (as well as the gnosis website)?

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Apologies for the double post. I think Papio may be right in saying that we've sometimes been using misogyny wrongly in this thread. I've realised that what I meant was a sort of in-built, culturally conditioned, male superiority - which, although prejudiced, is a long way away from hatred or fear of women. (It does provide a breeding ground for the more extreme attitudes to emerge.)

In a footnote to "Beyond Belief", Elaine Pagels has the following observation about Saying 114 in Thomas.

"The words female and male are not to be taken literally (as if they referred to woman and man) but rather as characterising what is human and what is divine. See M Meyer (note on Saying 114 in the G of T)"

I think this is a rationalisation, but Papio has a point. It is not so much the language which matters as the underlying hopeful picture of a woman coming fully into her potential. What is put into to the mouth of Jesus stands in sharp contrast to the comment put into the mouth of Simon Peter.

quote:
From G of T saying 114(a)

Simon Peter said to them "Make Mary leave us, for women are not worthy of life"

Now that does read like misogyny. But it is not the whole story about the mysterious saying 114.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's actually been a bit of discussion about women having to aim towards being reincarnated as men by submitting to authoratative men in their lives, and the man at the top of this 20th century cult.
"School of Economic Science/Philosophy"

The "gospels" and Jesus and Mary Magdalene are mentioned, as are the Laws of Manu.

Gnosticism seems to be part of the teaching as well, as it is in the Jungian and Edward Edinger and alchemical spiritual studies I did linked in with transpersonal psychotherapy.

It definitely has so many variations that varying "beliefs" can link in with whatever they want to focus on and emphasise.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

Hi,

Think of the characetrs in GofT like the characters in a Platonic dialogue (after all, Platonism underpins most Christian gnosticism). In a Platonic dialogue, the main character expounds the main ideas at the prompting or questions of the minor characters.

So in the case of saying 114, Simon Peter says what's on the minds of most men of the period, who are steeped in the belief that women are a whole degee inferior to themselves. Also, any women listening would have had similar thoughts. "How can I attain salvation if I am less perfect than a man?"

And Jesus' answer is "I will atrract her so that she too might become a living spirit that resembles you males."

So the final result is in saying 108:

"Whoever drinks from my mouth will become like me; I, too, will become that person, and to that person hidden things will be shown forth."

The Christ Logos will be present in that person. This is not inconsistent with the orthodox idea that we are all members in the body of Christ. I don't think it's too much to say that when one invites Christ to dwell within, one sees the entire world differently, and one sees oneself in a whole new light.

FF

(clarity)

[ 14. April 2006, 11:59: Message edited by: A Feminine Force ]

--------------------

SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:

Was I suggesting that my contacts were the only ones who don't give satisfactory answers?

And I would be very interested to hear what I have said that suggests that I accept the present canon, with or without a happy and completely uncynical smile on my face.

--------------------
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Brother SteveTom, we need to cast out your demon of skepticism.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it very hard to get my head around gnosticism. It seems so complicated and the language makes my brain bleed at times e.g.

"God 'divides' himself into opposites in order to be revealed in our material world. These opposites are in no way to be seen as a breach of the origional unity, but rather as proceeding from the loving will of God to permeate creation and to dwell within his creatures. But this is only possible if the origional unity denounces itself to become a differentiating duality - only in this way can there be a visible prsence and colour ,which while proceeding from the unity, only takes form through the duality."

This is from an article about dance.

I read this and I wonder if I am just thick and that is why I can't understand it. Or maybe this is all just bollocks designed to keep the uninitiated out and make those in the inner circle feel powerful.

Dunno

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

Maybe it's simpler to understand like this:

The ALL-THAT-IS is a pool of pure awareness.

From that pool of awareness, the First Thought emerges. That Thought is conscious of itself as part of the ALL-THAT-IS.

Other Thought-Forms emerge from the First Thought in perfect pairs. This is the birth of identity, which can't exist without something to compare itself to. These first Thought-Forms are complimentary ideals like intelligence, loveliness, prudence, perception.

The Thought-Form "Sophia" gives birth to an imperfect Thought-Form, in a sort of twisted "immaculate conception", and from that birth, polar duality is born: good and evil and the polarity of the world of matter.

In a funny way, though they knew nothing about electromagnetism, the gnostics were on to something when they described the world as the product of continual tension between polar opposites. I think physicists would have to agree.

Cheers
FF

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although I've also met people fitting SteveTom's description of 'Charismatic with a well developed theory of demonology' I'm surprised to see them being compared with Gnostics. Gnosticism appears to me to be rather similar to much later New Age ideas, something which the demonically-challenged Charismatics would strongly wish to separate themselves from.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Was I suggesting that my contacts were the only ones who don't give satisfactory answers?

And I would be very interested to hear what I have said that suggests that I accept the present canon, with or without a happy and completely uncynical smile on my face.

My comments were a reaction to a position that I have heard a lot and of which I thought your post was reminiscent. However, they were not aimed specifically at you and I can see how it looked as though they were - so sorry.

That said, I really do think that words like "heresy", "unorthodox" and "extra-biblical" (none of which you used) can often be used as magic talismans to ward off the satanic forces of free thought and critical evaluation.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
I really do think that words like "heresy", "unorthodox" and "extra-biblical" (none of which you used) can often be used as magic talismans to ward off the satanic forces of free thought and critical evaluation.

Heretic! [Biased]

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the group knowledge-base here can help me resolve one aspect of Christian history as it relates to Gnosticism. One fairly common idea in the ancient documents that have been collected and labeled as Gnostic is the idea that matter is corrupt. In several Gnostic myths, for instance, the creator of the material world (often caled the Demiurge) is deluded that He is the One God and the world that He creates is a barrier preventing souls from re-uniting with God. I do not find the same level of distaste for the material world in the Older Testament or in the Gospels. We find a bit of it in Paul I think. But it seemed to flower to a certain extent in subsequent Christian theology, say, in the mediaeval idea of the mortification of the flesh.

My question for those of you who know the history better than I is, did this thread of Christianity come from Gnosticism or did it arise in parallel or did it, perhaps preceed both coming from, say, the Zoroastrians along with the Good/Evil dichotomy?

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,

Siena

Ship's Bluestocking
# 5574

Mertseger, I think it's due in large part influence of Neo-platonic school of philosophy - here's a link discussing it.

--------------------

A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

Hi,

Gnosticism is a way of looking at the world that precedes Christianity, and is most likely derived from Platonism. It's a template, if you will, that can be modified to accomodate different types of spiritual endeavour.

As far as I know, dualism as a worldview precedes Christian gnosticism. The Manichaean gnostics were even more throughly dualistic than the Christian. Their creation myth was adapted from the Zoroastrian myth, and they even go as far as to say there are two equally powerful gods who struggle for dominion over the earth. I think the Marcionites did something similar.

The Christian gnostics could not find the answer to the problem of evil without resorting to dualism. I think Christians have trouble with it as well, and resort to their own version of dualism with the story of the fall of Lucifer.

But in the gnostic myth, even the imperfect archictect of the universe, Ialdabaoth, does not exist on its own,. It sustains its being through its mother Sophia, who in turn derives her being from the First Thought, which is an expression of the I AM. So they are all, essentially, degrees of expression of the I AM. Behind the dualism of this planetary existence, there exists a consciousness united in the ground of all being.

Only Ialdabaoth is ignorant of this fact. Actually, it's not wholly ignorant, it's half aware, and it's afraid to learn the truth. How very human of it.

FF

[ 14. April 2006, 18:11: Message edited by: A Feminine Force ]

--------------------

Siena

Ship's Bluestocking
# 5574

Sorry for the double-post, but I wanted to respond to AFF's comment below:

quote:
Well, if you insist that gnostics were especially misogynistic, more so than any other religious group, then I think I have to disagree.

Please don't think that I'm defending the misogynistic elements in other religions, particularly Christianity. I do think, though, that when you couple the view that our bodies/matter form a barrier between us and God (as opposed to being part of a good creation that will ultimately be perfected) with the view that the female is the most corrupt embodiment of a corrupt species, you end up with something particularly toxic.

I'm not saying, by any means, that orthodox Christianity hasn't been influenced by this view - but that gnosticism, with its rejection of the goodness of the created world, is particularly prone to this mindset. (Again, I should clarify that I'm talking about early gnosticism, not whatever's going on currently.)

I think my objections to gnosticism boil down to one essential - I see it as incompatible with a religion that is centered on the incarnation of God - a God who loved his human creations so much that he joined us, ate and drank with us, and ultimately died for us - not to "free" us from an inherently evil creation, but to restore an inherently good creation.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I think Sienna is right about the distinctiveness and centrality of the Incarnation. I'm also very impressed by this piece of very early NT evidence, the first 5 verses from the letter to the Galatians.

quote:
1 Paul, an apostle—sent not from men nor by man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead— 2and all the brothers with me,
To the churches in Galatia:

3 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Can someone explain to me how these verses are compatible with the Gnostic view of the Divine, the evil in the world and the nature of salvation? Check out AFF's post and the link to the Gnostic World View on the website. The reason why I think its a good question is that the letter to the Galatians is normally dated about 50AD. Well before the codification of orthodoxy, the settling of the canon, church orders etc. It is primitive. And, so far as it goes, it is completely consistent with the the subsequently codified orthodoxy.

And, even stranger, these 5 verses are just an introduction - the main theme of the letter lies elsewhere. Incidental information in historical documents is powerful. It seems to me you either have to consign this document to the "fraudulent" category or concede that, before any structures were in place, there was a distinctive, clear and open expression of Christianity which was not compatible with the Gnostic world view - at least as expressed on the Gnostic website. And it came from someone who sat with the apostles when they were alive - and learned from them after previously opposing them. The Pauline link in Galatians takes us back into the AD30s. To the disciples.

To me this is pretty strong evidence that Irenaeus was right, that the faith once given was not compatible with the Gnostic world view. So tell me what I'm missing.

--------------------

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

quote:
Originally posted by Sienna:
Mertseger, I think it's due in large part influence of Neo-platonic school of philosophy - here's a link discussing it.

Well, at least your link got me searching a bit more. This Wikipdeia article does not seem to support that the idea came from the Platonists. Earlier forms of Platonism held the view that the Demiurge was beneficent, and the Neo-Platonist Plotinus argued against some local Gnostics' view that matter was corrupt as late as the early Third Century.

Certainly, Paul precedes Gnosticism, so did both Christianity and Gnosticism explore this avenue as an answer to the problem of evil in parallel or did one feed off the other? It would appear that the idea was already intrinsic in the pre-Christian Sethian forms of Gnosticism, but, of course, the Sethians had Jewish roots. And so I'm still left wondering if this anti-materialism was present in pre-Christian sects in and around Judea, and whether it worked its way into Christianity via these earlier sects, arose in parallel or came through latter exchange with Christian Gnostics.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,

A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

Christ was sent by the Father to liberate us from our present evil age. This seems to be a point both the orthodox and the gnostics can agree on. The point of distinction comes with the "how" and "from whom".

For me, it's not profitable to discuss who is right or who is wrong. Irenaeus made his decisions, and history has conferred upon them the dignity and respect that arises out of tradition. He was right, because that's the course the church eventually steered towards. His decisions were necessary, and there's no point in trying to imagine some other outcome. It was as it should have been, and the orthodox church is how we now experience Christianity.

I think a better question to ask is "If the orthodox church is so deeply satisfying to the spirit on every level, why are people so hungry for an alternative view of Christianity that they'll swallow any amount of codswallop Dan Brown and Bagent and Leigh care to promote?"

There's always going to be a segmant of humanity that leans toward a more gnostic/platonic worldview. Why do these ideas persist in the face of systematic attempts to discredit/eradicate them?

FF

[ 14. April 2006, 22:49: Message edited by: A Feminine Force ]

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just my imagination or does there seem to be more than a resemblance between Gnosticism and certain Eastern ideas eg Sankara's theology in Hinduism and some Buddhist ideas ? Would there be any sort of communication between the Indian religions and some Christians at the time of the early Church or is that a bit too fanciful?
I remember reading about Gnosticism in the late 1960s - I don't think it'd have made much impact at the time. However with the rise of New Age ideas it may seem to resonate perhaps with those who are interested in those ideas

[ 14. April 2006, 22:59: Message edited by: The Royal Spaniel ]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

AFF

You're right of course, in general. But this is da Vinci Code, where the emphasis has not been so much on the co-existence of different world views, but on the notion that the big bad Imperial church suppressed a world view which was right (whereas its own was wrong). As a matter of history, I don't think that argument stands. As a matter of theology, I find it difficult to see how Gnostic cosmology coheres with the Christian faith in its earliest recorded proclamations. So I think, essentially, that we are talking about different faiths here.

You know I'm an accommodating sort of person - comfortable with wide umbrellas and diversity. Well, that hasn't changed. I'm just saying, that on this issue, different faiths seems a more reasonable interpretation than variations within the same faith. Its only a POV. Somebody may come along in a minute and tell me how the Gnostics accommodated Galatians 1:1-5 into their world view. I mean they certainly knew about the letter. Its in Marcion's list.

--------------------

A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

I think it's important to distinguish between faith and belief.

They are two separate and very distinct belief systems.

They share a faith that Christ is our salvation.

FF

--------------------

Siena

Ship's Bluestocking
# 5574

Mertseger, here's a better link discussing Neoplatonism and St. Augustine which tangentially Neoplatonism versus gnostic worldviews. I think the Christian strain of "anti-physicality" is more aligned the Neoplatonic variety than the gnostic, but your mileage may vary - and there's enough overlap that I don't know that there is a definitive answer. At any rate, St. Augustine is the Colosssus of theologians in the early and medieval church,** and I think he and his neoplatonism probably have more to do with the orthodox Christian suspicion of the physical world than gnosticism - since Augustine comes to completely reject the Manichean version.

[I'm given to understand that Augustine doesn't have nearly the stature in the capital O Orthodox Church as he does in the West (which probably explains my love for Orthodox theology, but I disgress), so perhaps one of the Plot shipmates will weigh in with a different POV.]

At any rate, what I read in the NT canon seems more compatible with the influence the neoplatonic worldview - Paul's metaphor that we see through a glass darkly, the references in Hebrews to earthly shadows that are perfect in Heaven - creation is fallen and short of the mark, but still contains hints and traces pointing the way to the coming Kingdom. In early gnosticism, creation is portrayed as a barrier, not a preview.

All that being said, in terms of the gnostic/orthodox Christian interaction, so much has been lost (often at the hands of of orthodox Christians) that I don't know that we'll ever be able to be sure.

**and fairness dictates that I mention that he is quite the misogynist himself....

[ 15. April 2006, 04:10: Message edited by: Sienna ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by A Feminine Force:
I think it's important to distinguish between faith and belief.

They are two separate and very distinct belief systems.

They share a faith that Christ is our salvation.

FF

That is a very good point - and it brings me at least to a personal crux point; the issue of community. I'm not sure how well this crosses the Atlantic but the use of the term "faith community" has become commonplace in the UK. The notions of the peaceful co-existence of, and possibilities of co-operation between, different faith communties is a recognition that there are boundaries of association. The reason why there are different faith communities is because we see those boundaries and associate with one community, rather than another. It does not mean that there isn't a fair measure of common ground. Nor does it mean that there are no sharp differences.

In that context, in our 21st century world, we can seek the common ground. And the sentence "Christ is our salvation" can be said by folks with different belief systems. We can get along with our differences. We have, mostly, the freedom, and the luxury of that freedom.

Two recorded saying of Jesus are

"He who is not for us is against us" and

"He who is not against us is for us".

Open and closed seasons! Regardless of ones views about the rights and wrongs of gnosticism, I think there is broad historical agreement that "Against Heresies", written at the end of the 2nd century by Bishop Irenaeus, is a crux document. And personally, I go along with Pagels' implication that the key factors in all of this were

a) the huge impact on Irenaeus of the persecution, torture and martyrdom of many Christians in his own community.

b) the opinion of some Christian Gnostics that the martyrdoms were neither necessary nor wise.

And this goes deeper than the notion that those who did this lacked community spirit, or solidarity, or sympathy. They were certainly insensitive. They thought they knew better. It caused a questioning of what it was in their underlying belief system made them go that way. It was certainly a major departure from the 1st century apostolic experience, for many of them were martyred. It was a sort of acid test of both community and continuity. I think Irenaeus said, these people have placed themselves outside. Not just the faith community but the continuity with the first century apostles - and their attitude to martyrdom demonstrates it. Then, by looking at the distinctive belief systems he found the reasons for that lack of attachment. And a whole lot of strange stuff. And said, in effect, "Whatever it is, it aint Christian. We are members, one of another. These guys are members of themselves, but they are not members with us". And out of that arose Tradition, orthodoxy, boundaries, definition. In the sentence "Christ is our salvation" the key word became "our". Who are we?

Well, we have the luxury of debating the pros and cons of that. But looking back to those times, it sure seems understandable to me. Here is Pagels again (I've quoted it before on these threads, because it seems to me to be such a perceptive observation).
quote:
In her commentary on these times and the Irenaeus critique (in her book "Beyond Belief") Pagels makes the following observation.

"..we can see that Irenaeus' characterization, however hostile, is right. Those who wrote and treasured innovative works ... were implicitly criticising, intentionally or not, the faith of most believers". (Chapter 4)

Maybe a key point is "so where do we go from here?"

--------------------

A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

Hi Barnabas,

We can debate the rightness or wrongness of third century gnostics for disagreeing with martydom as a means to promulgate the faith, and base our present day relationship on an old grudge that has nothing to do with you and me personally in the present. Or we can acknowledge that our understanding of both sides of that story is incomplete at best, and try to find the common ground that exists in the present.

The stakes are not life-and-death now. Christians are not being thrown to the lions, and are not likely to become a persecuted minority anytime soon. Gnostics are not being hunted and exterminated as heretics any longer.

I think that it might profit both kinds of Christianity to acknowledge that the genie is out of the bottle. The old way of exterminating disagreeable ideas was to kill the messenger and burn his books. This is no longer acceptable, nor do I think it's even possible. So gnostic ideas are in the world marketplace now, and there are buyers.

As a member of a very tiny gnostic minority, the solution for me has been to find a Christian community that tolerates different beliefs while acknowledging a common faith journey. I still need a sense of common Christian purpose. When it comes right down to it, it doesn't matter one bit to me that I don't agree with someone's theology. That's not the basis of my relationship with them.

Christianity in any form is not easy. It is not a comfortable stroll. The scripture is full of baffling, challenging and shattering truths that are designed to break apart our hardnesses and expose our sweetness and vulnerability.

I think if we proceed in a spirit of kindness and acknowledgement of the importance of each of our faith journeys, then what we believe will not make the difference in the end. The destination is the same, what does it matter if we arrive by this belief or that belief? No more than if you arrive by train and I by car.

FF

[ 15. April 2006, 12:13: Message edited by: A Feminine Force ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

AFF

You're a star! I've got visitors round at present and want to think about what you say, but my intuition is that there is a very great deal right with what you say. More later.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Feminine Force:

The stakes are not life-and-death now. Christians are not being thrown to the lions, and are not likely to become a persecuted minority anytime soon. Gnostics are not being hunted and exterminated as heretics any longer.
FF

Not a grumble at your post, but a bit of information, up-to-date persecution , which is still happening in many parts of the world, not always by Islamicists.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

A personal response

Laying myself open to all manners of misunderstanding here, I am in agreement with a very large amount of your previous post. The little bit which is different comes out like this. Yes, it is our following, not the correctness of our theology, which is the most important. In the end this is not a gospel of works, but of grace and obedience. I do think, however, that what we believe impacts on our following, so I think the truth of what we believe is important. In the end, on that issue, I'm not pomo.

I've never been in any doubt about the communion of the saints. In the end we're all going to be surprised by the final membership of that community. Understanding these old battles helps me to understand, to some extent, the reasons for them. Some of that adds to my understanding of all battles - their perceived necessity and the damage they do.

AFF, I've often thought it would be great fun to be in the same home group as you in my local church. There is of course a sort of understanding in my group that we're all "sound"! But you should hear some of the stuff ... I suspect that if I was to join your small gnostic group, I might have the same effect on them as you might have on the home group I currently belong to. This notion of affectionate sticks of dynamite comes to mind! (What the heck is an affectionate stick of dynamite?)

Although I know this can come across as patronising I'm being honest when I put it this way. I reckon you and I could both cope fine - its the others I worry about ...... Maybe that is an unworthy, over-protective thought? I'm not sure. In the end it is our working assumptions and our ability to cope with one another in the present which determine the longevity of association.

God bless you. These boards would be the poorer without your contribution.

Back on the main discussion ....

I am pretty convinced, currently, as a matter of history, that some of the pre-Christian gnostics were attracted into the very early faith communities by Jesus, for this reason.

quote:
From the Gnostic World View

Gnostics do not look to salvation from sin (original or other), but rather from the ignorance of which sin is a consequence. Ignorance -- whereby is meant ignorance of spiritual realities -- is dispelled only by Gnosis, and the decisive revelation of Gnosis is brought by the Messengers of Light, especially by Christ, the Logos of the True God. It is not by His suffering and death but by His life of teaching and His establishing of mysteries that Christ has performed His work of salvation.

Attracted to him by what they heard, and because of pre-existing understandings, they were likely to see Jesus' role and mission in those terms. They are not the same as the Messianic expectation - and its Suffering Servant development - which have very great significance in orthodox Christianity. Seeing the Logos differently is not a small thing. But we can talk about it. And some of us will always be willing to. Jaw, jaw, jaw is better than war, war, war.

[ 16. April 2006, 07:27: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Blow - late editing cut a vital bit out. Although its probably very obvious, let me clarify that the first part of my post was response to some dialogue with AFF.

--------------------

A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

Hi Barnabas,

quote:
Jaw, jaw, jaw is better than war, war, war.

Amen, amen and amen.

Just a quick note now and more later...

The best thing about gnosticism, IMHO, is that it relies entirely on individual spiritual revelation. Gnosis is a process of discovery that has no prescription other than the willingness of a person to undertake it. There is no roadmap to my interior landscape, only signposts erected by those who have gone before me into their own unknown. Those signposts are the messages in the gospels that resonate in me as divinely inspired.

Because gnosis is an individual process, its message is not static, but fluid and dynamic. We didn't get a chance to see how Christian gnosticism might have evolved into the present. We can only see snapshots of it frozen in time. So there's almost as much about ancient Christian gnosticism that I disagree with as I do with orthodox dogma.

Notwithstanding this, I am overjoyed to be joining my orthodox Christians friends everywhere this morning with my praise and gratitude and awe for His resurrection.

Hallelujah HE IS RISEN INDEED!

Talk to you later.

FF

--------------------

SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

quote:
Originally posted by The Royal Spaniel:
Is it just my imagination or does there seem to be more than a resemblance between Gnosticism and certain Eastern ideas eg Sankara's theology in Hinduism and some Buddhist ideas ? Would there be any sort of communication between the Indian religions and some Christians at the time of the early Church or is that a bit too fanciful?

I don't think that's so far-fetched. The Roman empire shared a border with the Persian empire, which went as far as what is now Pakistan, so communications with India were better than one might assume.

The 3rd-century religious movement of Mani, for example, popular in the Roman empire, venerated both Jesus and Buddha.

--------------------
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

Hi Barnabas,

I wanted to address this specifically:

quote:
I do think, however, that what we believe impacts on our following, so I think the truth of what we believe is important.

I think many would agree with you, but I'm not certain that ritual, dogma, cosmology, or soteriology has anything to do with how "Christian" I am. I think the measure of my Christianity is summed up in how well I live the Great Commandment. What's interesting about the Great Commandment is that Jesus paraphrased the rabbi Hillel, but the Gospel writer omitted Hillel's concluding admonishment "Now go and learn". I like to include it, because the nature of the commandment gives rise to many questions.

• Love the Lord my God with all my heart, mind, strength and spirit. (I think I do, but I'm willing to bet I'm in denial at some level of my being).
    Can I love my fellow before I love myself? (my answer: no)
    Do I love myself? (my answer: undecided)
    Do I love myself perfectly and completely or imperfectly and incompletely? (my answer: imperfectly)
    Do I know myself well enough to love myself? (my answer: no)
    Is it possible to love an unknown? (my answer: no)

So what kind of a Christian does this make me?

• I think I love God as much as I am commanded to, but it's easy to lie to myself, and my actions are inconsistent with someone whose love is perfect, whole and complete.
    I doubt I can love my fellow more than, or before, I love myself.
    I am not certain I love myself, and if I do it's imperfectly and incompletely, so that's the best my poor neighbour can expect from me right now.
    I don't think I know myself well, and not well enough to love myself unreservedly.
    I am afraid of the unkown, and so therefore it's impossible for me to love it in myself or my fellow.

On the whole, I think this makes me about as good, bad or indifferent as any orthodox Christian. Cosmology, dogma and belief are powerless to fix these problems of mine because they have nothing to do with it. "The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in our stars, but in ourselves."

I think a Christien gnostic seeks knowledge of self, and searches for the hidden barriers within that prevent him/her from perfecting his/her obedience to the Great Commandment. The proof of the perfection or imperfection of his/her gnosis is shown in the manner of words and deeds. This should not be mistaken for a works-based salvation. It springs from a deep and urgent desire to be in full acquaintance with God through obedience to God.

The saving grace that is ours through Jesus Christ is the Logos that dwells within every human as a result of His coming. This is the Lamp of Love that lights the interior, and shines into the dark recesses of our unkown, unloved and unforgiven corners so that they may be shown forth and reconciled.

If we are reconciled within, so we can be reconciled with one another, and God's shalom will be known on earth as it is in heaven.

FF

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

AFF

Thanks for that. I suppose one of the things which needs to be said is that our dialogue on this thread may illuminate some differences between Gnosticism and orthodox (Nicene) Christianity, but it's probably more accurate to say that it illustrates our individual "take" on these things. That, however, reminds me of a brilliant observation by Solzhenitsin. "To taste the sea only takes one gulp". So maybe this will help not just you and me to "taste the sea".

Your post is very interesting and reminds me of something I said earlier about the value of home groups. Membership of of the same home group often enables people to get under the surface differences and find much common ground. For example your description of the work of the Logos within us seems to me to be remarkably similar to the orthodox understanding (mostly gained from John's gospel) of the work of the Holy Spirit. I suppose if there is a difference, it is that the impulses to follow the great commandment are seen in orthodox understanding to come from the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, rather than a "gnosis". It may be that these are simply descriptions of the same divine effect. (I realise I don't know enough about gnosticism to confirm that.)

Another immediate thought that occurs to me is that I tend to see (I suppose because this is what I've discovered) a very great value in discipleship measured against orthodox norms of belief. "We" seems more important than "I". Being a pretty rugged individualist with a penchant for minority views, I think most of my appreciation of the corporate, "we are one body", aspects of Christian faith has been hard won - often against my natural individualism. On the whole this seems to me to have done me good. I'm gentler now, finding many positive values in obedience. I have been fortunate to make the journey in the company of some very lovely people. So my positive take on corporate orthodox Nicene understandings was probably pretty embryonic in the beginning. I think it grew on me, and grew in me. It hasn't made me blind to the risks of spiritual abuse or over-controlling church governance. I've seen some of that on the way. But I have definitely become more "corporate". Again, I'm up against a limit, because I do have a limited understanding of the place of corporate life in gnosticism.

"The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in the stars but in ourselves". Yes, that's very good. Reminds me of a well known story in the UK. The author G K Chesterton, replying ot a discussion in the letter columns of the Times about what was wrong with the church, sent a reply saying "I am". That is a pretty good place to start, or resume, the journey into life. And a pretty good thing to keep in mind on the way.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Chorister:

quote:
Although I've also met people fitting SteveTom's description of 'Charismatic with a well developed theory of demonology' I'm surprised to see them being compared with Gnostics. Gnosticism appears to me to be rather similar to much later New Age ideas, something which the demonically-challenged Charismatics would strongly wish to separate themselves from.
I have always thought that the Charismatic movement and the New Age movement have much more in common than either side would care to admit to.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016