homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Da Vinci Code   » Your personal DVC counter-act

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Your personal DVC counter-act
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, given that DVC is being inflicted on us not only in book form now, but also as a movie - what are you personally going to do counter this crap?

I've read on some blogs the sensible suggestion to go to the movies - and see a different film! Unholywood respects the mighty voice of the customer dollar.

Me, I have decided to buy and read Doubleday's new edition of "The Way : The Essential Classic of Opus Dei's Founder" by Josemaria Escriva. It would not have occured to me to do so without the DVC hype. And it's about the price of a movie ticket.

What are you going to do? I don't necessarily mean something that explicitly has to do with DVC or its topic. Anything that restores the spiritual balance of the universe, really... [Biased]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I gave a talk on the DVC at the informal family type service on Sunday and managed somehow, to so upset the Brownie and Cub leaders, that they won't be coming back to the service.

Go me.

In terms of restoring the spiritual balance of the universe that is pretty good in my world as I hate juggling flags and egos at a service of praise and worship.

I am available on speaking tours, get the talk, loose the uniformed organisation......

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Me, I have decided to buy and read Doubleday's new edition of "The Way : The Essential Classic of Opus Dei's Founder" by Josemaria Escriva. It would not have occured to me to do so without the DVC hype.

Now there's a choice between two evils.

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about you just don't see the movie if you don't want to?

I don't see why people have a desire to "fight" a work of fiction - something that even the author claims is a work of fiction. Quite frankly, if people want to believe something that they bought off the fiction shelves of the bookstore, that's their lookout.

I don't remember people getting in this much of a tizzy when "Jurassic Park" was released, even with the spate of "could it ever happen?" TV shows and books it spawned.

[edit for spelling]

[ 12. May 2006, 23:52: Message edited by: Izzybee ]

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to not post on this thread.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW:

If someone wants to do a private counter-action, have at it!

But if you want to do something public, think twice. The more people protest the DVC, the more other people will think that Christianity has something to hide. "The lady doth protest too much."

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It reminds me a bit of one of my favourite episodes in the comedy series 'Father Ted': The Passion of St Tibulus. Ted and Father Dougal are sent by Bishop Brennan to protest a blasphemous film which has just opened in Craggy island. Our boys go to see it and they are shocked. Shocked, I tell you!

Ted: I know for a fact St. Tibulus wore more clothes then that. He was from Norway or somewhere, he'd have frozen to death!
Dougal: And do you remember that bit when St. Tibulus tried to take that banana off the other lad?
Ted: That wasn't a banana, Dougal.

Unfortunately, when they turn up in their dog collars, waving their signs "Down with this sort of thing!" and "Careful Now!" they ensure that it's the biggest box office hit in the island's history. Everyone on the island goes to see it.

Life imitates art!

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As my DVC counter-act, I have decided to write a long bestselling book about how I've discovered strange and arcane geometry in the work of Piet Mondrian.

Shouldn't be too difficult....

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Petaflop
Shipmate
# 9804

- Posted      Profile for Petaflop   Email Petaflop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a web page with a collection of pictures of effeminate St Johns, and more recently thanks to this forum, St Sebastians. It gets about 400 hits/month, which admittedly is only a drop in the ocean.

I think challenging the 'Last Supper' claim is easier than many of the others: It is very visual, doesn't involve making assertions about history, and it makes it immediately apparent that Brown is using people's ignorance against them.

Beyond that, I tell people to go and read wikipedia. IMO one reason DVC connects so well with people is that he doesn't give a picture of the Last Supper - readers have to go off and find one, and make the discovery for themselves. Using the same approach in rebutting it has milage.

If I had to do a talk on it, I guess I might also make a picture showing which documents Irenaeus quotes in the 2nd century AD against which got into the NT cannon.

The Expatriate Theolinguist
Shipmate
# 6064

- Posted      Profile for The Expatriate Theolinguist   Email The Expatriate Theolinguist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This interesting article is a very effective counter-act to DVC. It unashamedly mocks the more ridiculous aspects of the book, and gives the phenomenon, IMHO, the treatment it deserves.
Posts: 731 | From: Upstate New York | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<tangent>

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
work of Piet Mondrian.

Hey! That's the cover of Old "Patterns for Worship"

But credited to one Julian Smith

[Smile]

</tangent>

Q.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to go and see Jerry Springer: The Opera. Counter productive? Still going as its a riot.
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_ricarno:
This interesting article is a very effective counter-act to DVC. It unashamedly mocks the more ridiculous aspects of the book, and gives the phenomenon, IMHO, the treatment it deserves.

Thanks mr_ricarno. Great job. Did you catch "Have I got news for you?" this week? (Ian Hislop in top demolition form.) Humour works every time.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
craigb
Shipmate
# 11318

- Posted      Profile for craigb   Author's homepage   Email craigb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While perhaps not quite on topic, I think the DVC has done the church a favor as it is now fashionable to talk about Christian issues and a lot of Chrismdom is learning the truth about many of these issues, whereas before much of the church were ignorant and many held to these type of views any way.

--------------------
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!I once was lost, but now am found; Was blind, but now I see... The Lord has promised good to me,His word my hope secures;He will my shield and portion be,As long as life endures.

Posts: 993 | From: Tahmoor | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Expatriate Theolinguist
Shipmate
# 6064

- Posted      Profile for The Expatriate Theolinguist   Email The Expatriate Theolinguist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:

Thanks mr_ricarno. Great job. Did you catch "Have I got news for you?" this week? (Ian Hislop in top demolition form.) Humour works every time.
'Fraid I didn't catch it, no. I don't have a TV in my college room [Frown]

--------------------
Je suis une petite pomme de terre.

Formerly mr_ricarno, many moons ago.

Posts: 731 | From: Upstate New York | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yeah, that guy rocks!

My deacon reported that there were a number of Christians at the showing she saw of TDVC (her daughter talked her into it) and there was MUCH laughter at places that weren't intended to be funny.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad to see my thread getting a new lease of life, but can I gently point to the OP as for its preferred topic? [Biased]

da_musicman is at least following the thread topic, in spite of throwing in his lot with the dark side... [Big Grin]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed with the dark side. Come and join us. Off to get my tickets now.
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Primarks and Spencer
Shipmate
# 10968

- Posted      Profile for Primarks and Spencer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Humour works every time.
Call me thick but I didn't find The Da Vinci Code to be nearly the page-turner that some are making it out to be. It's supposed to be "fast moving" storyline? I agree that it's all supposed to happen within 24 hours, but a book of that size? Come on now.

But I can recommend A.R.R.R. Roberts The Va Dinci Cod. Both compelling and hilarious. I've embarrassed myself several times by trying to stifle laughter while reading it in public.

At first I thought that it might help me understand the plot of the Da Vinci Code. But I'm still none the wiser.

--------------------
:)

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
I'm going to not post on this thread.

Split infinitive...
Is outrage!! [Two face]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to yawn. [Snore]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
musician

Ship's grin without a cat
# 4873

- Posted      Profile for musician   Email musician   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can't dent Dan Brown's a brilliant planner of a money spinner.
Every time there's a nother Outbreak of Outrage, up go the sales!

Bingo, I think you're response is waaaaaaaaaaay too much - like Steve Tom said [Razz]

I'm off to lend @Angels and Demons" to a pal!

musician

Ship's grin without a cat
# 4873

- Posted      Profile for musician   Email musician   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal] ...and learn to type
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My personal counter-actions to date:

1. Refused to buy the book. Finally read it when Miss Amanda kindly sent me her paperback copy.

2. Will refuse to see the movie (unless and until I stumble across someone with a DVD copy they're willing to share).

(While willing to see first-hand what all the fuss is about, I'm not going to add to the financial gain of the interested parties.)

3. Shake my head in sadness over the stupidity of the Roman Catholic Church for providing so much free publicity via its sudden spurt of Informative Talks aimed at the general public with as much advertising blitz as the local folks are able to muster.

4. Given #3, I try to point out to those people I know who are jumping on the RCC bandwagon and getting all upset, that it's simply a work of fiction and the Official Indignant Response from the RCC is probably only causing those who think DVC might have some truth in it to wonder "Why are they being so defensive if they have nothing to hide?".

5. Throwing up my hands and sighing a lot.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:

3. Shake my head in sadness over the stupidity of the Roman Catholic Church for providing so much free publicity via its sudden spurt of Informative Talks aimed at the general public with as much advertising blitz as the local folks are able to muster.

4. Given #3, I try to point out to those people I know who are jumping on the RCC bandwagon and getting all upset, that it's simply a work of fiction and the Official Indignant Response from the RCC is probably only causing those who think DVC might have some truth in it to wonder "Why are they being so defensive if they have nothing to hide?".

5. Throwing up my hands and sighing a lot.

Yes. While I love the RCC in many ways...these are same folks who, years ago, had a day-long festival in Rome focusing on Satan--showing "The Exorcist", etc. What, like he needs more attention???
[Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
croshtique
Shipmate
# 4721

- Posted      Profile for croshtique   Email croshtique   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
2. Will refuse to see the movie (unless and until I stumble across someone with a DVD copy they're willing to share).

(While willing to see first-hand what all the fuss is about, I'm not going to add to the financial gain of the interested parties.)

Why not pirate a few copies and sell them instead - taking away from their financial gain and make a small profit out of it... [Devil]

(I am not advocating the cool crime of video piracy)

--------------------
"When man has finished he is just beginning, and when he stops he is still perplexed" - Sirach 18:7

Posts: 165 | From: Sarf Lahndon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Primarks and Spencer
Shipmate
# 10968

- Posted      Profile for Primarks and Spencer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Call me thick but I didn't find The Da Vinci Code to be nearly the page-turner that some are making it out to be. It's supposed to be "fast moving" storyline? I agree that it's all supposed to happen within 24 hours, but a book of that size? Come on now.
I have now changed my mind - and have read The Da Vinci Code all the way through! [Big Grin]

The plot doesn't really start to move until Chapter 9, when you start to realise that Robert Langdon has been caught in a trap, and needs to escape. But from then onwards, it's an absolutely gripping page-turner that you just can't put down.

Unfortunately, on my first attempt to read The Da Vinci Code, it had lost my interest by chapter 3. Nevertheless, I had read enough of it to appreciate the humour in its parody, The Va Dinci Cod. And my curiosity to compare the plot of the parody to the original was enough to drive me from chapter 3 to chapter 9. From chapter 9 onwards, The Da Vinci Code captured my interest on its own merit.

So I'm now starting to read the rebuttals. I have two so far - "The Da Vinci Code - Fact or Fiction?" by Hank Hanegraaff & Paul L Maier - and "Truth and Fiction in The Da Vinci Code" by Bart D Ehrman.

I'm not impressed by Hanegraaff and Maier. Their book starts off with a load of bollocks about how it's "politically incorrect" to satirise or lampoon other religions religions such as Buddhism and Islam, whereas Christianity is apparently fair game. I mean, even if this was true - so what? The fact that it's fashionable to criticise something, does not mean that the thing being criticised is true! It doesn't mean it's worthy of society's esteem either. But Hanegraaff and Maier seem to have a "reality bypass" on that point. Instead, they just bleat on in an air of hysterical self-righteousness. Honestly, I believe that Hanegraaff and Maier's book poses far more threat to Christianity's public image and its evangelistic missions than any book that Dan Brown has written.

By contrast, Ehrman's work is much more sober and scholarly. He starts off by dealing with the role of Constantine in early Christianity. Now I haven't read it yet - but the idea that Emperor Constantine was single-handedly responsible for removing any notion of "sacred feminine" from all ancient religion seems a bit far-fetched to me. I'll post again when I've read a bit more.

quote:
I've noticed that round where I live, the RC church isn't giving nearly as much publicity to the Da Vinci Code as other traditions.

However, perhaps the Protestant tradition is more flexible about how it defines "church" than the RC tradition, and is perhaps not quite so threatened. Indeed, the Protestant Revolution is more likely to benefit from the Da Vinci Code, if we're clever and we play our cards right.

--------------------
:)

Herbertus
Apprentice
# 4481

- Posted      Profile for Herbertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If only people would listen to passive protest!

There seems to be a lot of debate about is it true, is it not. I don't really care. What interests me with this and most other conspiracy theories is that if it ignites passion in people there must be a grain of truth in it. I think that grain in this instance is the subjugation of not only women in the Catholic church but lay people in general. If we could have a debate about that and link that to some sort of blood line of what the early church believed the role of the people to be then that would be a great outcome of DVC. Of course, we could have that debate without DB and the DVC but since they have happened lets use it as an excuse to get something happening.

[brick wall]

--------------------
"Get leave to work
In this world,­'tis the best you get at all;
For God, in cursing, gives us better gifts
Than men in benediction. "
Elizabeth Barret Browning

Posts: 14 | From: Tasmania, Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016