homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Da Vinci Code   » Why so many?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Why so many?
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this - but as DVC is part of my question, I thought I'd post it here, & it could be moved if Hosts prefer.

I have recently read three books which are based around the Grail/Templars etc. - "DVC", "Labyrinth" by Kate Mosse, & "The Last Templar" by someone else (The book is downstairs & I'm too lazy to go and get it!) They are all best sellers, and I was wondering why it seems that at this particular moment the public seem to have fixated on this idea...

Is it just the Fixation of the Year, and reading fashions will move on, to Faddy Diets, or Dinosaurs, or something, or is it indicative of a Deep Malaise in society, a searching for something? Or a chance to Get At the church?

Any thoughts?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cashing in? A sort of market has been created. I agree it's a bit hard to work out why. Maybe its a sort of Harry Potter spin off? Interest in magic, interest in things secret and hidden. Pomo influences? You know, my truth is as good as anybody elses. Lots of options I guess. The bandwagon will move on in due course.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, currently George Bush et al are making it very easy, fashionable and gratifying to hold a grudge against Christians, so books like these give people opportunities to stroke those grudges, telling themselves that they were right all along, the Christian faith is based on lies and coverups, and they're oh so much cleverer then those idiotic evangelical neocons. While doing this, people have discovered the joys of conspiracy theories; getting insider knowledge without putting in any effort.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016