homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » The Blessing of the Waters

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Blessing of the Waters
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're approaching the time of year when we perform the blessing of the waters in our various traditions.

At my old (Eastern Orthodox) parish, we started the custom of visiting the Mersey estuary after the Sunday Liturgy on the feast of Theophany. We performed a foreshortened version of the Great Blessing of the Waters (one OT reading instead of the usual three), and a blessing Cross was thrown into the water (attached to a rope, for easy retrieval).

This year I'll be visiting a different (Western Orthodox) parish. In our calendar, Epiphany and Theophany are separate feasts, and I'll be there for both. I expect that some form of blessing of the waters will take place at Theophany. I'm looking forward to see what that looks like, and ill be sure to have my bottle with me to bring some water home.

What is the custom at your church? Do you perform the Blessing of the Waters at Epiphany or Theophany? Is it a receptacle of water in church or do you go a body of water, such as a river, lake, or sea? Are you given some of the holy water to take away with you, and is the rite seen as part of a witness of the faith to the public?

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my Antiochian church in Sydney it was held within the parish, and the faithful were given blessed water to take home.

The Greeks make the news in locations across Australia (that story from Newcastle, where I lived for a short while) for blessing a public body of water and having young men dive into the water to retrieve a metallic cross.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It used be a staple item on the tv news when I was but a lad. Better in an Oz January/February than into the Mersey at the same time (or any other probably, the sort of river you walk on).

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
In my Antiochian church in Sydney it was held within the parish, and the faithful were given blessed water to take home.

The Greeks make the news in locations across Australia (that story from Newcastle, where I lived for a short while) for blessing a public body of water and having young men dive into the water to retrieve a metallic cross.

Do you have a body of water called the Bogey Hole? [Killing me] It sounds as though that place needs all the blessing it can get!

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
It used be a staple item on the tv news when I was but a lad. Better in an Oz January/February than into the Mersey at the same time (or any other probably, the sort of river you walk on).

Hehe. It truly wasn't that bad. It never gets really cold on the coast because of the sea, but we definitely had the Cross on a rope. There was no way anyone was going on after it.

Does anyone have experience of this in a non-Orthodox setting? The Epiphany blessing of waters is, after all, traditional in the Roman Rite. Does anywhere do a version of it still?

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a lovely pool, name not withstanding. [Smile]

I know the Maronites put lit charcoal in the water.

The Chaldeans/Assyrians distribute blessed water.

But I am yet to have experienced these. One day perhaps.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is in fact a good name. This will tell you about the construction and the derivation of the name. Bear in mind that anglicisations of indigenous words are usually very approximate.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Thank you Gee. Lived there for 3 years and thought Bogey was some British chap in charge of the area. I am informed.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

There used be a story that it was given that name because the original was a rock hole, sort of like a blowhole, and very dangerous. That sounded bogus to me. So years ago, I dug out the derivation. The site came from a quick search.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if anyone around here does that tradition, but I think they'll be blessing big slabs of ice this year!

(Well, the Detroit River's probably flowing [like I'm going to go down there and check in these temperatures!], and some of the Great Lakes won't be completely frozen over yet...)

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There have been some questions on this thread and on one in Purgatory about baptism and re-baptism and I thought that I might give some information from a Catholic point of view here on this thread which doesn't have so many posts.

We do know that Epiphany or Theophany is one of the oldest of church festivals, stemming perhaps, but only perhaps, from a water festival in the Nile which took place on the 6th January.
While the Eastern Church recalled the manifestation of Christ in his public baptism at the hands of John the Baptist,the Western church soon associated it with the manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles at the time of the visit of the 'Wise men//three Holy Kings' to the child Jesus.
As Scrumpmeister suggests the Western Church has two celebrations which he calls Epiphany and Theophany. The Western church generally calls this festival the Baptism of Christ. Traditionally it was celebrated on the Octave day of the Epiphany.
Since the Second Vatican Council it has been celebrated on the Sunday following the Epiphany which could be up to a week after the 6th January.
In countries where 6th January is not a public holiday the Roman rite generally puts the liturgical celebration of Epiphany on the Sunday following.(This year ,2018, the Baptism of Christ will be celebrated on 7th January. However where Epiphany is celebrated on that day, the Baptism of Christ will be celebrated liturgically the next day , Monday 8th)
By putting the Baptism of Christ on a Sunday the liturgical celebration has been given a higher profile than was earlier the case .Generally,FWIW, the pope conducts public baptisms in St Peter's on that day.

The blessing of the waters ,which I have seen in Orthodox churches both in Italy and in Estonia generally takes place in the Roman rite during the night of the Easter Vigil. It is the case that the faithful during the Vigil or indeed on Easter day are invited to renew their baptismal vows and are sprinkled as a reminder of their baptism with the Easter water. This is, however, most emphatically not a re-baptism.

In Italy and possibly in some other countries there is a paraliturgical ceremony where the priest will come round the houses with the Easter water and bless them. This takes place during the Easter season.

Of course Holy water is regularly blessed throughout the year. Most people know of the Catholic custom of the Holy water stoup at the entrance to a church or sometimes in private houses where people will bless themselves as a reminder of their baptism. There is usually in a Catholic church a barrel of holy water and the faithful are invited to take it as they need it. It is not in a prominent place generally but those who want holy water can easily find it at any time of the year, except ,of course ,between Holy Thursday and Easter Sunday.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sacristan&Verger
Apprentice
# 17968

- Posted      Profile for Sacristan&Verger   Email Sacristan&Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here on the coast the Blessing of the Waters means actually blessing the sea and river. This is done on Sea Sunday in July and begins on the Town Quay where boats are blessed and liberally doused with Holy Water. There follows a Sung Evensong after which the whole crowd led by the Cross, Choir, Clergy and congo following process down to the ferry steps where the sea and river are thoroughly blessed and sprinkled. There follows a bit of a barbecue (and a bar in typical Anglican fashion). Sea Sunday is a wonderful public act of witness where the Lifeboat, Sea cadets and naval officers are always with us.
Of course we also celebrate the Baptism of Christ on the first Sunday after Epiphany (7th Jan this year) where we will all be liberally sprinkled.

--------------------
Did I do something wrong today or has the world always been like this and I've been to wrapped up in myself to notice?

Posts: 8 | From: Beside the sea | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gottschalk
Shipmate
# 13175

- Posted      Profile for Gottschalk   Email Gottschalk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Tridentine recension of the Roman Rite, there is the Blessing of Waters on the Vigil of Epiphany. The Rite of Blessing underwent significant changes under Leo XIII. Some churches still use the old form, which may be found in the Marquess of Bute's edition of the various rituals of the Blessing of Epiphany water in most uses of the Christian world (search archive.org). See this also: https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2010/01/blessing-of-epiphany-water.html?m=1

--------------------
Gottschalk
Ad bellum exit Ajax

Posts: 157 | From: The Kingdom of Fife | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
I don't know if anyone around here does that tradition, but I think they'll be blessing big slabs of ice this year!

(Well, the Detroit River's probably flowing [like I'm going to go down there and check in these temperatures!], and some of the Great Lakes won't be completely frozen over yet...)

Even if a body of water is frozen over, the Russians just cut a cross-shaped hole in the ice and perform the blessing anyway. [Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by Gottschalk:
In the Tridentine recension of the Roman Rite, there is the Blessing of Waters on the Vigil of Epiphany. The Rite of Blessing underwent significant changes under Leo XIII. Some churches still use the old form, which may be found in the Marquess of Bute's edition of the various rituals of the Blessing of Epiphany water in most uses of the Christian world (search archive.org). See this also: https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2010/01/blessing-of-epiphany-water.html?m=1

Thank you for this!

This is the Epiphany blessing of waters I was referring to in the Roman rite.

The discussion about its attempted suppression is interesting, as it the link to the 1901 book with the very long rite.

Here's an excerpt from our service, shortly after the Blessing of the Waters in the very deep (about 2 metres) font. The video says 2017 but this is a mistake - it was definitely only two days ago.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:
Originally posted by The Scrumpmeister:
The video says 2017 but this is a mistake - it was definitely only two days ago.

Verie Olde Kalendar, clearly.
[Razz]

I see you there. Looks, and sounds, wonderful. And good to know the reaction of smiling when one is splashed with Holy Water is universal.

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except in Byzantine rite churches I have not come across the Blessing of the waters on the Eve of Epiphany or on the day of Epiphany. I looked in an old Roman Missal(French) published in the 1850s with no mention of this rite - not surprising if it was not (re)introduced till the 1890s.
An old Missal published with imprimatur of Archbishop of Westminster in 1910 has no mention of this rite. Indeed for one week after Epiphany it only has Octave Day of the Epiphany although the Gospel passage is that of the Baptism of the Lord.The French missal of the 1850s calls the day Octave of the Epiphany and Baptism of the Lord.

I remember particularly the various pipes with taps every few metres around the walls of the large Russian Orthodox cathedral in Tallin,Estonia as the priest came round blessing everyone.

However my question would be is this the only time of the year when one can obtain'Holy Water' or is it blessed at other times of the year ?
The church was full with many standing outside

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

In Eastern Orthodoxy there is the Lesser Blessing of Waters performed at times as at the end of that linked section.

I honestly cannot recall attending or being given Holy Water to take home on those occassions. Someone else may be able to help there.

echosbones
Apprentice
# 18862

- Posted      Profile for echosbones   Email echosbones   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does anyone have experience of this in a non-Orthodox setting? The Epiphany blessing of waters is, after all, traditional in the Roman Rite. Does anywhere do a version of it still?

This coming Sunday, Epiphany II, the congregations of Southwark Cathedral and St Magnus the Martyr will each process from their respective sides of the Thames to meet in the middle of London Bridge for a Blessing of the River. As I understand the two parishes have done so since 2004 and it was instituted at the encouragement of the Cardinal Rector at St Magnus.

I couldn't tell you what liturgy is used but perhaps I can report back.

There is a photo gallery of last year's blessing on the St Magnus website.

[ 10. January 2018, 09:55: Message edited by: echosbones ]

Posts: 3 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged
Swick
Shipmate
# 8773

- Posted      Profile for Swick   Email Swick       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of a special time to bless water-it sounds like a charming idea. At my church the only time I've seen water blessed is at the baptismal font before a baptism.

At my old church at Epiphany we would bless colored chalk and incense, the chalk being used to write the names of the magi plus the new year on the lintel of a door.

[ 10. January 2018, 14:47: Message edited by: Swick ]

Posts: 197 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by echosbones:
quote:

This coming Sunday, Epiphany II, the congregations of Southwark Cathedral and St Magnus the Martyr will each process from their respective sides of the Thames to meet in the middle of London Bridge for a Blessing of the River. As I understand the two parishes have done so since 2004 and it was instituted at the encouragement of the Cardinal Rector at St Magnus.

I couldn't tell you what liturgy is used but perhaps I can report back.

There is a photo gallery of last year's blessing on the St Magnus website.

The Cathedral team in that video are a lot better dressed. [Two face]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

What are those 4 men in photos 1 and 2 wearing?

[ 10. January 2018, 20:09: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:

I think they're wardens' gowns. They appear to be carrying wardens' wands, so I assume so, anyway. Even under their gowns, they're very well turned out, I must say.

echosbones, please do share once you've been. I have a fiend who used to be heavily involved at that parish, which is how I know of the custom in the Roman tradition.

Forthview, perhaps it just wasn't around long enough to settle into common practice. In that respect, it sounds as though it might be like the blessing of candles at Candlemass, which is a late addition to Byzantine practice and bears very clear marks of having been imported from the Roman rite and inserted (quite insensitively) into the Byzantine rite. Despite being in the liturgical books the practice is very nearly unknown. I understand it's done in parts of Ukraine but I'm guessing that's due to Uniate influence.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'd rather assumed they were a team representing in some way the City of London. My implied criticism wasn't of them but of the fussy little ladies' handkerchief style surplices.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
echosbones
Apprentice
# 18862

- Posted      Profile for echosbones   Email echosbones   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit late, but I wanted to report back from the Blessing of the River Thames. It was great to be present for the service, though unfortunately the noise of traffic and the quality of the PA meant that one was often going with a best guess as to where exactly in the liturgy we were at any given moment. Thankfully the service sheets provided were clearly presented and followed closely, so the odd word caught amidst the noise largely sufficed.

There is a video of the service on Southwark Cathedral's Facebook page (apologies for the Facebook link, but it is publicly available without an account).

I failed to mention in my original post that this year's blessing held an extra significance following the terror attack in the London Bridge area last June. The service therefore began with an act of memorial for those who died.

A series of readings followed and then the actual Blessing portion of the liturgy. As far as I can tell that portion of the service was taken from the Church of England's Common Worship liturgy for 'A Service for the Festival of the Baptism of Christ', specifically the 'Christ is Revealed in the Waters of Baptism' section. Where appropriate 'these waters' was swapped out for 'this river'.

Google Books tells me that the above is cited in Nicholas E. Denysenko's
The Blessing of Waters and Epiphany: The Eastern Liturgical Tradition in a section on the Rite in the West, though unfortunately the relevant text is not available online.

Do any of you have thoughts on how this liturgy compares to other traditions?

[ 19. January 2018, 12:02: Message edited by: echosbones ]

Posts: 3 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Thank you for this!

The discussion about its attempted suppression is interesting, as it the link to the 1901 book with the very long rite.

Here's an excerpt from our service, shortly after the Blessing of the Waters in the very deep (about 2 metres) font. The video says 2017 but this is a mistake - it was definitely only two days ago.

That is rather, erm, long-winded, especially for use as late as after Compline, but one can only imagine it in a magnificent setting such as S. Andrea delle Valle.

Is this also the only official church liturgy to mention vampires? [Eek!]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gottschalk
Shipmate
# 13175

- Posted      Profile for Gottschalk   Email Gottschalk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:
quote:

Thank you for this!

That is rather, erm, long-winded, especially for use as late as after Compline, but one can only imagine it in a magnificent setting such as S. Andrea delle Valle.

Is this also the only official church liturgy to mention vampires? [Eek!]

It is pretty cool, innit? "Biothanatorum" - the living dead, or undead basically, a category that encompasses more than just vampires, I believe.

--------------------
Gottschalk
Ad bellum exit Ajax

Posts: 157 | From: The Kingdom of Fife | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016