homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Epiphany Calendar Question (TEC) (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Epiphany Calendar Question (TEC)
PentEcclesiastic
Shipmate
# 12098

- Posted      Profile for PentEcclesiastic   Email PentEcclesiastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello shippies! Its been a while since I was last on board, but I do appreciate this community, especially in times like these.

I was having a conversation about worship planning for January 8, 2017. Now this time last year (before I joined the staff) they used the propers for January 6, The Day of Epiphany. However, my reading of the prayer book and other sources do not indicate that this day is transferrable, so in that case January 8, it is appropriate to use the propers for the First Sunday after the Epiphany. The curate agreed with me, but the organist/choirmaster did not.

The question is this: What is the rationale for transferring Epiphany day readings to the closest Sunday?

Secondary question: the information about the calendar in the prayer book is not exactly clear. Are there other sources that explain it in a simpler way?

--------------------
We are called to be Holy.

Posts: 186 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not an Anglican, Catholic or Lutheran, so can't tell you what the "rules" might say.

FWIW my gut feeling would be to go for the Sunday after Epiphany material if you are celebrating Epiphany on its day, or to use the Epiphany material if you're not.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whether it is strictly to the rules or not it is common for midweek readings to be transferred to the Sunday.

It is all down to the diocesan bishop. If the diocesan says it it OK then it is OK, irrespective if any rules.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PentEcclesiastic:
The question is this: What is the rationale for transferring Epiphany day readings to the closest Sunday?

Because the Choirmaster wants to program the Cornelius, obvs...

In the Episcopal Church, your answer, I think, is found on page 15 of the BCP. There is a chart of Principal Feasts, and a note that All Saint's Day may always be observed on the Sunday following November 1. Because it does not say that Epiphany (also a Principal Feast) can be observed on the Sunday following January 6, I think it is treated differently, and not transferred. At least, as an attorney, that is how I would read it if it were a statute.

I suspect the reasoning is that All Saints Day and the First Sunday after the Epiphany are days when you can do baptisms. Moving All Saints Day to a Sunday prevents having to do mid-week baptisms, and not moving Epiphany leaves the following Sunday open every year. (I just made this up, but I would bet that I am right...)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Church of England lectionary, FWIW, has January 1st as 'The Naming and Circumcision of Jesus', with the option of transferring that Feast to the 2nd, and using instead the propers for the Second Sunday of Christmas.

Some parishes of the more Carflick persuasion will, I expect, use the Roman propers for 'Mary, Mother of God', though quite why they need yet another Marian day, I know not.

The Epiphany is celebrated on Friday 6th, though AFAIK the Cathedral is the only local church to have a full Sung Eucharist on that day. Our Place has a service at a sheltered flats development on the first Friday afternoon each month, so I expect the Epiphany will be duly celebrated there.

Sunday 8th January is, therefore, to be kept as The Baptism of Christ, which some believe to be an event of more importance (as marking the start of Our Lord's 3-year ministry) than the odd, dreamlike, and not-quite-credible tale of the Wise Men....YMMV. If, however, the parish decides to celebrate Epiphany on Sunday 8th, the propers for the Baptism of Christ are transferred to Monday 9th.

Simple, innit?

(BTW, I have heard it said that, if they had been Three Wise Women , the Epiphany would not have occurred. They would have asked directions, arrived in time for the birth, cleaned the stable, acted as midwives to Our Lady, made a casserole, and brought talcum powder and nappies.)

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ACC (and I think the TEC, certainly the Canadian RCC as well) rubrics apparently call for the Epiphany to be celebrated on 6 January or transferred to the previous Sunday, to allow the Baptism of the Lord to happen on the Sunday after the Epiphany. That's what we're doing, as there won't be a service on 6 January -- almost certainly no one would attend.

That may work if the Sunday before is the 4th or 5th, but IMO it reeks in any other circumstance. In a previous parish we ignored the rubrics, celebrated Epiphany on the Sunday following, did the Baptism on the Sunday after and just left out the readings for the first Sunday in ordinary time.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TBH, that seems a sensible way of doing things, if not quite as per the rubrics.

It is, alas, a sad fact of life that, for most churches, weekday attendance is likely to be small at any time of year, let alone the depths of winter. A cold coming we had of it etc.!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pity those poor souls who find themselves cast out with the goats on the last day because they were baptized on what was technically not the First Sunday after Epiphany...

[Razz]

--------------------

PentEcclesiastic
Shipmate
# 12098

- Posted      Profile for PentEcclesiastic   Email PentEcclesiastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:

In the Episcopal Church, your answer, I think, is found on page 15 of the BCP. There is a chart of Principal Feasts, and a note that All Saint's Day may always be observed on the Sunday following November 1. Because it does not say that Epiphany (also a Principal Feast) can be observed on the Sunday following January 6, I think it is treated differently, and not transferred. At least, as an attorney, that is how I would read it if it were a statute.
That's what I thought too. Most of the Principal feasts would ordinarily fall on a Sunday anyway, so the ones with fixed dates, are exceptional. I just wanted to be sure that I was reading it right...

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to add to the confusion, the Church of England Common Worship Lectionary does allow Epiphany to be transferred - this year to Sunday 8th January, with the Baptism of Christ being transferred to the 9th.

The Lectionary states in the preamble that 'The Epiphany may, for pastoral reasons, be transferred....'. It adds that 'The Presentation of Christ in the Temple (Candlemas) is celebrated on either Thursday 2nd February or Sunday 29th January.'

Both the Epiphany and the Presentation are shown as Principal Feasts; the Baptism of Christ is just a festival.

Not that it helps anyone outside England!!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So that more people will hear them, as they would be more likely to be at church on Sunday.

The Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales, and in many other parts of the world, transfers the Epiphany wholesale to the Sunday. There is no option about it and 6 January is just a normal weekday, (unless it falls on Sunday.)

The arrangement is presumably to do with keeping holy days of obligation.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Things have come to a pretty pass when even the vast RCC has to transfer major Holydays to the nearest Sunday....

Ironically, when Our Place celebrates Epiphany on 6th January at the sheltered flats complex within the parish, it will be for a congregation that can't as a rule get to the church on Sundays!

IJ

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pity those poor souls who find themselves cast out with the goats on the last day because they were baptized on what was technically not the First Sunday after Epiphany...

[Razz]

Surely it isn't actually a requirement in the TEC that baptisms can only take place on certain days? Although they most often happen here on a Sunday, not even that is a technical requirement.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, I wondered about that. Surely, baptism can be administered at any time or on any day, according to need.

IJ

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

While not a strict requirement, it's at least preferred practice to do them on Easter, Pentecost, All Saints, First Sunday After the Epiphany, or when the Bishop visits.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We ( C of E ) had Christmas 2 this morning - bizarre but it's an option in our Kalendar.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Epiphany on 6th January is a major public holiday in many European countries.I think particularly of Spain and Portugal where three Kings make their appearance and bring presents for children and also Italy where an old woman called the Befana has presents for children who have been good.In these countries there are many popular customs associated with the feast day,much like Christmas when the day is celebrated both by those who are religious and those who pay little attention to what the Church has to say. In Germanic countries also Epiphany is a major holiday Germany,Austria and Switzerland.(The relics of the three wise men or the Three Holy Kings are said to be buried in the cathedral of Cologne.Epiphany is also a public holiday in some Nordic countries and one should not forget Greece which uses the Gregorian calendar and where Epiphany/Manifestation of Christ at his baptism is a major public holiday.

Where the 6th of Jan.is not a public holiday the RC church usually transfers the liturgical celebration to the nearest Sunday.

This does not affect,however,TEC

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

- Posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Author's homepage   Email Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Og has the right of it. Note in addition that the Feast of the Baptism of our Lord is not even mentioned in the rules of precedence, pages 15-18. It is listed on page 31, and again on page 312. As Og has pointed out, there is no rule for any day but Hallowmas (November 1), the feast of a church's dedication, and the feast of a church's patron or title, to be transferred to a Sunday. (These last two rules are on page 16.) In addition, The Lesser Feasts and Fasts, Fourth Edition considers the use of the Gospel narrating Christ's baptism in all years, and the Gospel narrating the wedding at Cana on the 2nd Sunday after Epiphany in year C, as features of "modern lectionary reform." This implies that transferring the Epiphany to Sunday and effectively skipping the Baptism of Christ by transferring it to a weekday would be a step backward, returning to an exaggerated emphasis on the Magi at the expense of the other two of the tria miracula by which the Epiphany is considered to be adorned.

--------------------
Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.

Posts: 1443 | From: Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
(BTW, I have heard it said that, if they had been Three Wise Women , the Epiphany would not have occurred. They would have asked directions, arrived in time for the birth, cleaned the stable, acted as midwives to Our Lady, made a casserole, and brought talcum powder and nappies.)

But wasn't the whole problem (i.e., the slaughter of the innocents) that the wise men did stop and ask directions? [Biased]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems to me that they went to the obvious place (i.e. they believed that a new prince had been born, so they went to the palace).

No blame in that - it was in fact only after Herod had sent them on their journey to the right town that the star (allegedly) gave them more specific guidance.

So: do we blame God for not giving them a better aid to navigation? Hmmm ...

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had Brismas today...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Brismas? [Confused]

Re the Wise Women - no, they asked directions before they set off, so they didn't have to stop en route. They would also have had the good sense (having read up about Herod beforehand) not to arouse him to bloodthirsty fury by casually mentioning a possible usurper...

(Is this beginning to sound like a Terry Pratchett novel?)

IJ

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Brismas? [Confused]

Holy Name (a bris being a Jewish circomsicion ceremony).

Incidentally, while Holy Name is not a TEC Principal Feast, it may (but not must) take the place of the regular Sunday if it falls on a Sunday. Same deal with the Presentation.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thank you, Og!

IJ

--------------------

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lamb Chopped is in the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, which retains the dual Circumcision and Naming nomenclature, like Common Worship (but flipped).
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Brismas? [Confused]

Holy Name (a bris being a Jewish circomsicion ceremony).

Incidentally, while Holy Name is not a TEC Principal Feast, it may (but not must) take the place of the regular Sunday if it falls on a Sunday. Same deal with the Presentation.

Of course TEC used to call it (and some churches still do) the Feast of the Circumcision. By the way, although I know of churches called "Church of the Holy Name," I've never heard of a "Church of the Circumcision." Has anyone else?

[ 02. January 2017, 15:21: Message edited by: Al Eluia ]

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an idea that the Society of Jesus kept 1 January as their feast of title.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
your idea is a good one but not 100% right.
3rd January is the Titular Feast of the Jesuit Order - the Holy Name of Jesus.

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I seem to remember seeing a Jesuit liturgical calendar some years ago at a retreat house, before the 3 January Holy Name.

--------------------

gog
Shipmate
# 15615

- Posted      Profile for gog   Author's homepage   Email gog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
Epiphany on 6th January is a major public holiday in many European countries.

Also to do with the days lost when we moved from the Julian to the Gregorian calender, and the tradition of gifts been given through Christmas
Posts: 103 | From: somewhere over the border | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

No - in many ways Epiphany on 6th January is an older festival than Nativity on 25th December.
For those who follow the older Julian calendar Christmas Day is 7th January with its vigil celebration on the evening of 6th January and the Epiphany on 19th January.

Amongst the Orthodox communities Greece follows the Gregorian calendar, so Christmas and Epiphany are on the same dates as the Western church, while many Orthodox (and including Ukrainian Catholics )follow the Julian calendar for religious festivals (Greece,however, follows the Julian calendar for the moveable feast of Easter.)

Going back to another post it seems to me that the Bishop of Rome does have some jurisdiction in the realm of England,since the calendar is that which was issued by pope Gregory XIII in
the 1580s after the break with Rome.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Going back to another post it seems to me that the Bishop of Rome does have some jurisdiction in the realm of England,since the calendar is that which was issued by pope Gregory XIII in
the 1580s after the break with Rome.

But it wasn't adopted here until 1752. It's still the reason why the tax year runs 6th April-5th April.

Something I still don't think was ever answered on the previous thread about this, is whether before 1752, recusants celebrated Easter on the same day as their heretic neighbours or whether they followed the papal calendar used on the continent.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No - in many ways Epiphany on 6th January is an older festival than Nativity on 25th December.
For those who follow the older Julian calendar Christmas Day is 7th January with its vigil celebration on the evening of 6th January and the Epiphany on 19th January.

And the Armenians in Jerusalem still celebrate Christmas in one shot on January 19th.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The days lost were lost in September in England - so we jumped from September 2nd to September 14th in 1752. Because we converted relatively late, we had to lose 11 days, other countries lost more or less. This was apparently enacted in the Calendar Act of 1751 which is when the date that the New Year started changed from Lady Day to New Year's Day. But there is evidence this change may have been earlier - 1660 with the accession of Charles II who may have been following the Scottish Calendar, where 1 January was the start of of the year.

(The date that really made a difference was Michaelmas, 29 September, the date that blackberries have the devil's coat is thrown over them. Blackberries are often good until 10 October.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
PentEcclesiastic
Shipmate
# 12098

This has been very helpful, and I'll bring this up during our planning meeting for next year. We're going to observe Epiphany on Sunday the 8th, and transfer the propers for the baptism to the following Sunday, on which we are having a baptism, just in case y'all were wondering. [Smile]

We'll definitely get it right next year.

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

Whether England waited till 1752 to adopt the new papal calendar is immaterial here.It still remains the calendar as issued by pope Gregory XIII in 1584 (I think)

The writ of the pope was ,of course not accepted uniformly all over Europe,even in the 'Catholic' countries and took a long time to be implemented.It didn't play such an important part in people's lives as few people travelled and not many people would have accurate timepieces either.

Scotland certainly accepted 1st January as the start of the New Year as early as 1600,but not the calendar as an entity. It meant for Presbyterians that Christmas celebrations could be transferred to a more secular occasion.Even as late as the 1960s 25th December was not a holiday in Scotland.New Year was the big holiday and many churches would have Watchnight services just like the Catholic midnight Mass a week before.

It is indeed difficult to know if recusants in England celebrated religious festivals according to the calendar in vogue in England or to that issued by that issued by the pope.Since they met in secret there would be no public celebrations.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Whether England waited till 1752 to adopt the new papal calendar is immaterial here. It still remains the calendar as issued by pope Gregory XIII in 1584 (I think)

It isn't immaterial, though, if you're standing by your phrase
quote:
it seems to me that the Bishop of Rome does have some jurisdiction in the realm of England.

He has jurisdiction if he issues commands and they are followed because he has commanded them. He doesn't have jurisdiction if the calendar isn't changed for over 150 years, and is then changed because it's recognised that his is a better calendar.
quote:
It is indeed difficult to know if recusants in England celebrated religious festivals according to the calendar in vogue in England or to that issued by that issued by the pope. Since they met in secret there would be no public celebrations.

I'm not sure, and would be quite interested to know, how true that was by the 1750s. It may be more part of the Catholic myth version of British history as presented in, say, 1950, the obverse of the Protestant wind and the Armada or Foxe's Book of Martyrs.

One gets the impression that for long periods of time, provided the Catholics kept a low profile, didn't plot with the French or Spanish and behaved themselves, they were usually left alone. And of course, from 1685-8, they would have been much more open.

[ 03. January 2017, 09:56: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------

BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This has been very helpful, and I'll bring this up during our planning meeting for next year. We're going to observe Epiphany on Sunday the 8th, and transfer the propers for the baptism to the following Sunday, on which we are having a baptism, just in case y'all were wondering. [Smile]

We'll definitely get it right next year.

Clearly you can (and will) do whatever you please, but this is 100% incorrect and not allowed by the prayer book. Transferring the propers for the first Sunday after the Epiphany to the second Sunday after the Epiphany really only compounds the mistake. In other words, when are you going to stop? There's little to no guesswork involved in the calendar, and that makes your decisions easy and blameless.

Does the idea to transfer it at all come from a notion that no one would bother to show up to an Epiphany mass? Perhaps my parish is a particular case, but the Epiphany mass is one of the more well attended services. I can't help but think if a service was reasonably well planned that at least <i>some</i> people would show up.

Posts: 197 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Because it does not say that Epiphany (also a Principal Feast) can be observed on the Sunday following January 6, I think it is treated differently, and not transferred. At least, as an attorney, that is how I would read it if it were a statute.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Transferring feasts to the nearest Sunday only reinforces the message that church is for Sundays, and why in the world would you want to go on any other day of the week?!

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I think so much depends on the particular parish. In a village where there are a lot of retired people around during the day, a daytime midweek service (timed to tie in with visits to the surgery, village shop of travelling library) might work well. In a busy estate with lots of young families, it might be impossible both during the day (everyone out at work) and the evening (cooking, washing, putting the kids to bed). In a city centre a short lunchtime service might well be attractive to Christian office workers, if well-publicised.

I agree though with doing all one can to show that our Faith is not just for Sundays.

[ 03. January 2017, 16:27: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

PentEcclesiastic
Shipmate
# 12098

quote:
Originally posted by BulldogSacristan:
Clearly you can (and will) do whatever you please, but this is 100% incorrect and not allowed by the prayer book. Transferring the propers for the first Sunday after the Epiphany to the second Sunday after the Epiphany really only compounds the mistake. In other words, when are you going to stop? There's little to no guesswork involved in the calendar, and that makes your decisions easy and blameless.

Does the idea to transfer it at all come from a notion that no one would bother to show up to an Epiphany mass? Perhaps my parish is a particular case, but the Epiphany mass is one of the more well attended services. I can't help but think if a service was reasonably well planned that at least <i>some</i> people would show up.

I don't know that the reason is that no one would come or not. I do know that it was a pastoral decision in light of all of the moving parts that would have to do an about face to pull it off (mine is a large parish). I'm not saying that it's right, but we've already decided to think through this more critically next cycle.

Someone mentioned that January 6 is a holiday in Europe, and a priest who lived in Europe confirmed that it was a huge day there, so I wonder if if the insistence on this fixed date as principal feast is one of the vestiges of our TEC's history with the CofE.

And "Fr Weber" and "Baptist Trainfan" (see above) have suggested another problem with transferring it to Sunday, and that is that the Church then becomes a Sunday-only place. I can't help but agree. I think with good thoughtful planning around the feast cycles in the calendar, we might be more successful in the TEC (at least) at reclaiming some of this way of marking time.

[ 04. January 2017, 05:02: Message edited by: PentEcclesiastic ]

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
... Someone mentioned that January 6 is a holiday in Europe, and a priest who lived in Europe confirmed that it was a huge day there, so I wonder if if the insistence on this fixed date as principal feast is one of the vestiges of our TEC's history with the CofE. ...

Pent, a few odd thoughts. I don't know whether these are helpful. First of all, Europe is not a single place. It stretches over a huge area. It includes lots of different countries and cultures. The UK, Scandinavia and much of Northern Europe are culturally Protestant. South, South-Western, much of Central and the Irish Republic are culturally Catholic. Most of Eastern and South-Eastern Europe are culturally Orthodox. European Turkey and Bosnia are culturally Moslem. Some parts were Communist for part of the C20 and others weren't. Epiphany is more marked civilly in some countries than others.

Epiphany was more marked here in the past, but was one of the official holidays that ceased to be in 1833. Since then, it has been an act of bankruptcy for a bank to be closed on any day other than Christmas Day, Good Friday or one of the bank holidays introduced by law from 1871. So after 1833, particularly in the Gradgrind commercial climate of the time, the other holidays steadily ceased to be.

Epiphany remains on the 6th January in the CofE but Common Worship now allows the alternative of celebrating on an adjoining Sunday. I think this is a fairly recent concession.

I don't think this should be interpreted as meaning it has been, or can be, transferred. I think it is correct to regard it as an optional alternative to make sure it doesn't get left out.

Twelfth Night isn't significant in the way it was in Shakespeare's time, but is still when you are supposed to take all your Christmas decorations, cards etc down. On that assumption, our local authority designates refuse collections shortly after when they will take your Christmas tree away.

Every year, people have arguments as to whether Twelfth Night is the evening of the 5th or 6th January. I've always been told it is the evening of the 5th, because the first night is the evening of Christmas Eve and the Twelfth one is the last night in the Christmas season.

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Every year, people have arguments as to whether Twelfth Night is the evening of the 5th or 6th January. I've always been told it is the evening of the 5th, because the first night is the evening of Christmas Eve and the Twelfth one is the last night in the Christmas season.

I'm hopeless about this and always have to count the nights on my fingers:
24/12 - Eve of Christmas - but still Advent (and if a Sunday will be fourth Sunday of Advent)
25/12 - first night of Christmas
26/12 - second night of Christmas
27/12 - third night of Christmas
28/12 - fourth night of Christmas
29/12 - fifth night of Christmas
30/12 - sixth night of Christmas
31/12 - seventh night of Christmas
1/1 - eighth night of Christmas
2/1 - ninth night of Christmas
3/1 - tenth night of Christmas
4/1 - eleventh night of Christmas
5/1 - twelfth night of Christmas
6/1 - first night of Epiphany

[ 04. January 2017, 13:09: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
when they will take your Christmas tree away.

They ain't taking mine away. I've planted it (in a myriad different houses) almost every year since about the late 1960s). The years I've missed I haven't had one.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

Enoch asked if recusant Catholics before England joined the rest of Western Europe (apart from Sweden) in adopting the calendar as issued by pope Gregory XIII,if the Catholics celebrated religious festivals according to the new Gregorian calendar or the older Julian calendar followed by England.

I don't know what recusants did but if we look at today we can say that there are different time zones.Catholics throughout the world will generally follow the calendar and the hours as they are in their country e.g. 12 noon in Rome is not 12 noon in UK and certainly not 12 noon in Adelaide,Australia nor in Los Angeles,California.

Within the Catholic church,where the pope has universal jurisdiction, there are several rites which follow different calendars.At this time of Epiphany we are aware that Byzantine rite Catholics celebrate Christmas on 7th January and Epiphany on 19th January - these being the equivalent of 25th Dec. and 6th Jan in the old calendar.

I would think then that recusant Catholics would follow the calendar as it was in England at the time.In spite of the fact that hanging,disembowelling and quartering of priests ordained abroad more or less came to an end in 1679 it was still not safe in the 1700sto advertise that one was a Catholic.Catholicism tended to be contemplative rather than activists. Doors would have been locked when prayers (code word for Mass) were said. External solemnity of feasts would have been unknown.In Georgian England,however, there would be more sense of accommodation on both sides of the religious divide.Only then would some Catholics have begun to bother abouyt following the intricacies of the Roman calendar at the 'right' time.

american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with most of what Forthview has said.

But there were times when there were Roman Catholic queens consort who were allowed under their marriage contract to have a private chapel. I guess that their chaplains used whatever Portuguese or French calendar that they'd brought from home: but I'd like to know for sure. Was it all as in pre-Synod of Whitby days, the King celebrating Easter, the Queen still deep in Lent? What did they do about Christmas?

I also imagine that whatever the Queen's chapel was doing "spilled out" as it were, and that recusants, at least in London, kept in step with what was going on in the officially tolerated royal chapel.

Too many guesses and imaginings, I must ask some historians.

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

Indeed the Chapels royal of the Catholic queens were places where Catholics could go to experience full Tridentine rites. However after the Glorious Revolution handicaps came again - exclusion from the legal profession, exclusion from inheriting or buying land, prohibition from keeping arms or serviceable horses. Needless to say these handicaps could be circumvented if one had high enough status. Those who longed for Tridentine ceremonial within an English context would go to the many English convents and monasteries in the Low Countries or France.

Most English Catholics in the 1700s avoided too much contact with Jacobitism. Particularly in London urban Catholicism started to stabilise in the first half of the 18th century showing social features of nonconformity with a pattern of worship based on weeks rather than seasons and Sunday sometimes called the Sabbath. A devotional writer called John Gother provided vernacular commentaries and translations of collects, epistles and gospel passages in conjunction with the celebration of Mass. I would imagine that this would be within the framework of the English calendar . Mass was usually celebrated in taverns or alehouses. Others of the approximately 20 000 Catholics in London in the 18th could attend Tridentine rites with full ceremonial at the various Embassy chapels. These may have followed the Gregorian calendar before the English calendar changes.

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

We managed almost 30 at last night's Epiphany Eve procession (not counting the choir of 24), despite frigid temperatures (about 0 on the F scale) and six inches of snow. Although the kids who were supposed to portray the Magi dropped out.

Thursday is our normal Evensong night, so unless Epiphany falls nearer a Sunday, we do our procession on the nearest Thursday. So that helps attendance. Lessons and Carols type format, with readings from Luke (the Shepherds arriving at the manger and the Circumcision) Matthew (the Wise Guys appear through the Holy Innocents, broken up into four parts), TS Eliot, Rumi, and Isiah (Arise Shine). Good music, including some chestnuts like Mendelssohn's "There Shall a Star" and the Peter Cornelius I linked to at the top of the thread, a few interesting modern-ish pieces including Eric Whitacre's haunting Lux Aurumque, and the only chance you get to sing We Three Kings

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... frigid temperatures (about 0 on the F scale) and six inches of snow ... the kids who were supposed to portray the Magi dropped out

Smart magi. Would bugger up a few "Christmas" cards though. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016