homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » St Charles, King and Martyr

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: St Charles, King and Martyr
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone make it along to Banqueting House (or St Clement's Philly which hosted the US SCKM mass)?

I attempted the daily evening mass at a local Anglo Catholic place only to arrive to find the daily evening mass had been suspended some time ago (despite the church sign still advertising it).

So no Blessed Charles for me.

Do any of the (small) number of parishes in the UK dedicated to St Charles do anything particularly special?

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
King Charles, Tunbridge Wells, has in the past observed His Majesty's day on the nearest Sunday, with a full-on 1662 BCP Choral Evensong. They kept it this year last Sunday, according to their website, but there does not appear to have been a 'special' service.

Something of a 'niche interest', no?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not just the ACs.... Kidderminster, where I grew up was obviously the parish of Richard Baxter (his statue stands outside the parish church) but, by an unusual coincidence, it's also the only town to have received it's charter from Charles I. The high school, the former grammar, is King Charles I High School.

Anyway.... as a mark of penance post the Restoration, the rector of the parish, lineal successor to Baxter, has to lead prayers of penance for the martyrdom of Charles I in the town centre every January 30th. It's not a remotely AC parish. They do it because they have to, although I'm not sure what the legal position is or where the authority came from. Charles II I assume.

As a Kiddy boy, just down the road from Worcester (the "Faithful City"), I've always had a soft spot/blind spot for Charles I.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've long had trouble treating both Charles I and Laud (whom we remembered a few days ago) as martyrs for their faith. Executed for their political actions yes, but not for their faith.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
I've long had trouble treating both Charles I and Laud (whom we remembered a few days ago) as martyrs for their faith. Executed for their political actions yes, but not for their faith.

This precisely. His execution was not something most of us republicans could support now, and Cromwell's theocratic regime and brutal suppression of the Irish even less so, but if Charles I is to be judged "according to the standards of his time", as is so often said whenever the brutality of human history is addressed, then so must Cromwell. And on that basis I have to be relieved that Charles I lost the Civil Wars and so paved the way for a non-executive constitutional monarchy, which is the next best thing to no monarchy at all.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

This precisely. His execution was not something most of us republicans could support now, and Cromwell's theocratic regime and brutal suppression of the Irish even less so, but if Charles I is to be judged "according to the standards of his time", as is so often said whenever the brutality of human history is addressed, then so must Cromwell. And on that basis I have to be relieved that Charles I lost the Civil Wars and so paved the way for a non-executive constitutional monarchy, which is the next best thing to no monarchy at all.
OTOH I do see both Laud and Charles I as martyrs for/of the faith - but then if we started the Civil War/War of the 3 Kingdoms again tomorrow I'd join the Royalists against Parliament so I suppose I would say that.

But then the Society of King Charles the Martyr is smaller than Republic (and that's pretty small). So I think ultimately so long as we can have a beer together neither of us are likely to see our aims of either the abolition of the monarchy or January 30th's full restoration to the CofE Calendar any time soon!

Incidentally a further irony that's just struck me since my original post is to wonder what Baxter would have made of there being a statue of him? Never occurred to me in 36 years of knowing the town til now - can't think he'd be happy!

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
if Charles I is to be judged "according to the standards of his time", as is so often said whenever the brutality of human history is addressed

who was it that said Charles I was a good man and a bad king? I can stand squarely with that.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From memory, it was Hyde (Clarendon).

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tuesday 30th January 1649 - Monday 30th January 2017

Yes, I got there at Whitehall for the Solemn Eucharist, at which the preacher was Revd. Dr. Peter Anthony, parish priest of St. Benet Kentish Town. As in previous years, it was traditional rite.

Last year 2016, it was at Hampton Court, when I also got there; but this year, it was back at Whitehall.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are the propers for the feast online somewhere?

--------------------
My cooking blog: http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com/

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an aside to this discussion, This site has a pattern for the lacy vest supposedly worn by him on day of execution. Scroll past pattern for picture of vest. The pattern is well known as King Charles Brocade.

Just picking up needles and yarn and will get my coat on the way out.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by teddybear:
Are the propers for the feast online somewhere?

The feast was included in the 1662 BCP, but in a separate section toward the back. You should be able to find it online.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The propers are in my 1828 edition of the BCP, but I gather they were removed in 1859.

Here is a link to the 1662 and 1844 versions:

http://www.eskimo.com/~lhowell/bcp1662/state/index.html

Hardly surprising, perhaps, that the Merry Monarch chose thuswise to commemorate the plot of 1605, the death of his father, and his own return to the throne.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Just noticed that all these services were removed from the BCP in 1859 by order of Queen Victoria.

IJ

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe Common Worship uses the Common of Martyrs but has a particular collect for King Charles.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Proper propers: I have seen hard copy of an insert for the altar copy of the English Missal, with all the usual propers for that rite.
Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Just noticed that all these services were removed from the BCP in 1859 by order of Queen Victoria.

IJ

The Key aim of the devotional Society of King Charles the Martyr is to have them put back in!

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Can't see it happening whilst usurpers of the Hanoverian succession are still occupying the throne....

....I'll get me hat on the way out.

IJ

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can't see it happening whilst usurpers of the Hanoverian succession are still occupying the throne....

....I'll get me hat on the way out.

IJ

I hope that it's a tricorne.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

But of course - no good Jacobin would wear anything else on his heid!

IJ

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But of course - no good Jacobin would wear anything else on his heid!

IJ

Surely a tartan bonnet would also be acceptable?
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Och no - that's for the wild Hielanders!

IJ

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Och no - that's for the wild Hielanders!

IJ

Ah, I'm mixing up Jacobins and Jacobites.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I was confused. I read Jacobin as a party of the French Revolution! They often went bare headed. (Often ending up headless, much like our subject here.)

[ 03. February 2017, 21:30: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

You are quite right, of course - I meant Jacobite (but my point re hats still applies).

I blame my confusion on (a) the French part of my ancestry, and (b) a rather fine single malt from the Scottish part of my ancestry.

I'll close the door behind me - please don't get up...

IJ

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016