homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Two thuribles

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Two thuribles
Incensed
Shipmate
# 2670

- Posted      Profile for Incensed     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
https://www.facebook.com/St-Marys-Bourne-Street-331825049877/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

Don't know if the above link to the Facebook Page of St Mary's Bourne Street will work, but there is a great video there showing two thuribles being swung together. I don't know whether many churches do this. I think I have seen it elsewhere but I cannot remember where!

Posts: 241 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
-Two- thurifers, very impressive! I have never seen but one. The one ordination I went to, however, had a thurifer who was able to swing the censer in a circle in midair over his head, right over the heads of the cringing congregation. That brought our attention fully to the fore.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there are certain cases where it has traditionally been considered appropriate - during a Solemn Te Deum and before a Procession of the Blessed Sacrament are the two which come to mind.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What DJ said. Thus, it is customary to have two thurifers on Maundy Thursday and Corpus Christi, as both involve a procession of the Blessed Sacrament as part of the liturgy of the day. I have seen two thurifers on a handful of other occasions, but that is not the norm.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
BabyWombat
Shipmate
# 18552

- Posted      Profile for BabyWombat   Email BabyWombat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago I saw two thuribles in use at St. Mary the Virgin in NYC during the singing of a Solemn Te Deum -- thurifers standing facing the altar, thuribles being swung left to right simultanesouly. Also during a Corpus Christi procession, each thurfier swinging a bit, then the other taking over while the first had more incense added.

--------------------
Let us, with a gladsome mind…..

Posts: 102 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
I think there are certain cases where it has traditionally been considered appropriate - during a Solemn Te Deum and before a Procession of the Blessed Sacrament are the two which come to mind.

Tangent - what makes a Solemn Te Deum different from an ordinary one and when is it done?
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
quote:

Tangent - what makes a Solemn Te Deum different from an ordinary one and when is it done?
Solemn in this case does not mean no grinning and laughhing!

A solemn service or act of devotion, including Te Deum basically means the full works as far as possible - incense; lights; a full team of servers; the musical department, to a greater or lesser degree. In its normal course, the Te Deum is said or sung as a cantical at Morning Prayer, when it is ordinary and not solemn. The Solemn Te Deum tends to be used on festive occasions and not as part of Morning Prayer.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ascension-ite
Shipmate
# 1985

- Posted      Profile for Ascension-ite   Email Ascension-ite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Double thuribles are common in TEC Anglo-Catholic circles during a solemn TeDeum. Here is the parish of my youth doing it for Trinity Sunday. Church of the Advent TeDeum
Posts: 318 | From: Old Dominion | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*Just sing a Te Deum when you see that ICBM.......* - Tom Lehrer.

[Help]

I'll get me coat...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, this is a slightly different instance, but for our ecumenical procession on Palm Sunday, we have a thurifer each for us and the Catholic Church - and then 2 crucifers.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
*Just sing a Te Deum when you see that ICBM.......* - Tom Lehrer.

[Help]

I'll get me coat...

IJ

....and don't forget the incense......
[Killing me]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
quote:

As others have said, the fact that the Te Deum is performed with 'the works', in order to celebrate any particularly important or auspicious occasion.

I think Shakespeare has Henry V call for 'Te Deum and Non Nobis' to be sung to celebrate Agincourt so I suppose a thanksgiving for victory might be one such.

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen Solemn Te Deum done after High Mass on Trinity Sunday, Christ the King, and Jubilees of the Reigning Monarch. The first two with doubled thuribles.

On the whole less fun than the censing of the altars, images, and everyone during the Magnificat of Solemn Evensong, I reckon. But fun, nevertheless.

As to twin thuribles, I used to see it regularly at the Maundy Thursday and Corpus Christi processions. But noble simplicity now seems to rule where I worship: despite the acquisition of a third thurible. [Biased]

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

Additional to this:

The Catholic Encyclopedia refers to the custom:

quote:
In addition to its use in the Divine Office, the Te Deum is occasionally sung in thanksgiving to God for some special blessing (e.g. the election of a pope, the consecration of a bishop, the canonization of a saint, the profession of a religious, the publication of a treaty of peace, a royal coronation, etc.), and then usually after Mass or Divine Office, or as a separate religious ceremony.
Full link here.

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We changed our altar of repose from a location round the corner from the high altar to the west end of the church. This meant a level of ceremony for the transfer of the blessed sacrament and we used two thuribles effectively.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember being one of 2 thurifers on one Maundy Thursday - walking backwards so as to face the MBS.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the reasons for having two thurifers is so that neither has to walk backwards. The Most Holy is always being incensed. Rubricists of the past (O'Connell, Fortescue, McManus, etc. ) and of the present (Elliott) remind us not to have the thurifer walk backwards.
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is indeed difficult to walk backwards without being undignified - whether that is by constantly looking over one's shoulder, or, worse, by tripping over or bumping into something. It's not impossible, though.

I don't think I've seen it done in the western rite, but I have seen it done, and done well, in a Melkite church, the thurifer walking backwards at the Great Entrance and continuously censing the (not even yet consecrated) Gifts. When I first saw it as a boy I found it quite striking - much more impressive than anything done at my own parish. (It probably helps that they do it every Sunday - one would come to know the route without looking.)

I would say, though, that it's something better not done unless it can be done really well.

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double-post.

I've noticed that my last post reads as if I am arguing with Ceremoniar - who in fact didn't say anything at all about walking backwards being undignified. I can't think of any other reason, though, why walking backwards would have been discouraged or forbidden.

As a point of interest, is there actually a rubric forbidding it? Or did Fortescue et al. just dislike it?

[ 20. April 2017, 06:36: Message edited by: Tobias ]

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tobias:
I've noticed that my last post reads as if I am arguing with Ceremoniar - who in fact didn't say anything at all about walking backwards being undignified. I can't think of any other reason, though, why walking backwards would have been discouraged or forbidden.

Because it's dangerous? You're carrying burning coals and you can't see where you're going.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

No offense taken, Tobias. I can check Fortescue when I get home tonight. I don't think that there is a rubric, but there may have been a dubium submitted to the Sacred Congregation of Rites back in the day, and the reply resulted in a discouragement of the practice. Like posters here, Fortescue does say that the practice is unedifying and dangerous, as does now-Bishop Peter Elliott in his ritual books of recent years.
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I kept expecting to see the three triple full circular swings in that video. If I'd been there I'd be demanding my collection back.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As a point of interest, is there actually a rubric forbidding it? Or did Fortescue et al. just dislike it?

Probably no rubric; the authors just dislike it and in general are against walking backward in liturgy. Don't back up down the steps, but turn around and go forward. Even a priest at Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament doesn't go fully backward but sideways (the "crabwalk") to avoid turning his back to the Sacrament.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
One of the reasons for having two thurifers is so that neither has to walk backwards. The Most Holy is always being incensed. Rubricists of the past (O'Connell, Fortescue, McManus, etc. ) and of the present (Elliott) remind us not to have the thurifer walk backwards.

As I now remember it, we walked sideways.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a Mass at the Cathedral in Montreal with two thuribles - not a Te Deum or procession, but one each on either side of the celebrant during the Eucharistic Prayer. i seem to recall that Dix notes this as a custom in some parts of France.

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Utrecht Catholic
Shipmate
# 14285

- Posted      Profile for Utrecht Catholic   Email Utrecht Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember having seen two thuribles during the Easter Solemn Eucharist at the Cathedral of St.John the Divine,New-York.
The two thurifers did an excellen job,they had the perfect liturgical skills.

--------------------
Robert Kennedy

Posts: 220 | From: Dordrecht | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
I can't think of any other reason, though, why walking backwards would have been discouraged or forbidden.
Because it's dangerous? You're carrying burning coals and you can't see where you're going.
That's what boatboys are for, surely?

Tewkesbury Abbey and StMBS are the two places I know that regularly use two thuribles.

[Edit ... random, but I couldn't stand the UBB-fluggle before my third coffee]

[ 18. May 2017, 18:51: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Also, if I saw two thurifers walking backwards, I'd have a hard time tearing my eyes away and focusing on the Sacrament, and I can't help but believe I'm not alone in that. To me, that's the biggest argument for not having anybody walk backwards.
Posts: 197 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Cleric scores a Critical Fumble - roll a d100 on the followign chart for effect"

https://saveversus.wordpress.com/2014/09/15/fumble-charts-dd-5th-edition/

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sacerdote
Apprentice
# 11627

- Posted      Profile for Sacerdote   Email Sacerdote   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In recent years the Vatican has introduced two thuribles at papal vespers. The Pope no longer incenses the altar but puts incense into two thuribles, presented by two deacons, who then divide the incensation between them. I've no idea of the reason for this, nor if there's any precedent for it.
Utrecht Catholic
Shipmate
# 14285

- Posted      Profile for Utrecht Catholic   Email Utrecht Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that this tradition comes from the Diocese of Milan,Ambrosian Rite.
I noticed it myself a few years ago, when attending Solemn Vespers in the magnificent cathedral in Milan.
Furthermore, have never seen it in any other western church.

--------------------
Robert Kennedy

Posts: 220 | From: Dordrecht | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And presumably the Pope can do as he pleases at his own Vespers. Maybe he just likes big clouds of incense?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016