homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Pulpit Canopy

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Pulpit Canopy
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I had occasion to attend a Presbyterian church and over the pulpit, there was one of those canopies overhead. I was a bit surprised to see this in a Presbyterian church, as I've only seen them in Episcopalian churches, but my curiosity was piqued. What is the significance of the canopy over the pulpit? It's always, at least for visual purposes, to be securely suspended by a type of metal or chain cord. (to this low-on-the-candle Methodist, I can't help myself from jokingly thinking that its purpose is to clomp down on a preacher when they go on too long!) But what is the significance of that canopy that, in my defense, really does look like if someone cut the cord, the top would encapsulate the speaker - the canopies even match the dimensions of the pulpit.

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was it one of these?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes.

--------------------
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Was it one of these?

A sounding board? Well, that's boring. But at least there's the answer - and an insight into the use of the term, "sounding board."

--------------------
(unknown)

John3000
Apprentice
# 18786

- Posted      Profile for John3000   Email John3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's my new thing learned for today [Smile]
Posts: 29 | From: England | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the subject of pulpit furniture (and I had never heard of the sounding board either -- thanks!) what is the significance/meaning/origin of the crucifix that is above most pulpits in catholic churches?
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you'll find a cross or crucifix above the pulpit in most CofE churches too.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In many, certainly - and serving as a reminder of Him in whose Name the preacher is speaking, I guess.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I think you'll find a cross or crucifix above the pulpit in most CofE churches too.

Indeed -- I think I was asking a lower-case C to bear more weight than could reasonably be expected.
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never thought of it before. After all, churches usually contain crosses. But I suspect it might be a visual representation that "we preach Christ crucified" 1 Cor 1:23.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to the OP - I guess the reason for this piece of woodwork is to indeed act as a 'sounding board', and to bounce the preacher's words back to the assembled faithful.

At Our Place, we have a 'tester' over the altar in our Lady Chapel, rather like this one from Downside Abbey.

The effect of this is to throw the voice of the eastward-facing priest at the altar back towards the congregation.

When we daringly put the Lady Chapel altar at Our Place back against the wall, resuming the eastward position, a devout old gentleman, Uncle Harold, told us how much better he could hear the words of the Eucharistic Prayer.

IOW, don't interfere with what Sir Ninian Comper, Our Lord, and His Blessed Mother, intended...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounding boards are certainly prettier than clip-on microphones or -- even worse -- the head-phone type as worn by order takers at McDonalds.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another explanation I have heard is that it began when churches often had no glass in the windows, and the canopy lessened the risk of birds crapping on the preacher's head (also the reason for the big hats they used to wear).

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Indeed -- I think I was asking a lower-case C to bear more weight than could reasonably be expected.
Interesting. Maybe I just haven’t been in the right places, but I’ve only very rarely seen a cross or crucifix over the pulpit/ambo in a Catholic church in the U.S., and I don't think I’ve ever seen one in an Episcopal church. A pond difference, maybe?

quote:
Sounding boards are certainly prettier than clip-on microphones or -- even worse -- the head-phone type as worn by order takers at McDonalds.

Not nearly as mobile, though.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Maybe prettier - but doesn;t interface quite as well with an inductive loop as does a loop amp on an aux send from the FOH sound desk...
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have a rack of ear trumpets for congregational use, next to the hymn books,

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thomas Hardy wrote a bitter-sweet short story about a helpful young curate, and an elderly parishioner who didn't come to church, because she couldn't hear the sermon.

Here's a somewhat abridged version:

Old Mrs. Chundle

IJ

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
Interesting. Maybe I just haven’t been in the right places, but I’ve only very rarely seen a cross or crucifix over the pulpit/ambo in a Catholic church in the U.S., and I don't think I’ve ever seen one in an Episcopal church. A pond difference, maybe?

Grace Cathedral in San Francisco has one.

As for the OP, my church, the Cathedral Church of St. Paul, Detroit, has one of these sounding boards over the pulpit, but it also has a purple velvet drape behind the preacher. You can kinda see it in this photo, which appears to have been taken from the choir/chancel (so you're getting a side view); and in this photo, way in the back (this is an outgoing procession).

I've always wondered about this. Is that drape very common? It seems like, if anything, it would absorb sound.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I've never seen such a drape in an English church, though, of course, that's not to say that they don't exist over here!

IJ

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BTW, the cross behind the pulpit at Grace Cathedral can sort of be seen here: An Easter service when the Keiskamma Altarpiece was visiting and Alan Jones was still dean. Look on the RH side of the photo.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Oops - missed edit window... [Paranoid]

Here's a rather gorgeous Lutheran pulpit in Sweden:

Uppsala Cathedral

No drape, but a painting behind the preacher..

IJ

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

Oh, that is beautiful.

I've often assumed that the drape at my church - which may not have been original to the sounding board, I'll have to look at old photos - might be for visual effect. If it is sound-deadening or neutral, it doesn't really matter in the age of microphones. Our cathedral was built in 1908-1911.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

churchgeek, I suspect it was for visual effect (but it seems to work).

If the architect intended to install a sounding-board, tester, baldaccino, or whatever, it was probably for a good purpose.

Those who faff about, and tinker with, 'original' architectural features do so at their own Peril. Far better to do a Richard Giles, and start from scratch....

Wot e did at Philly Cathedral

Marmite!

IJ

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Richard Giles is a friend of our bishop, and was the consultant for a re-ordering scheme in a parish not far from me and where I occasionally worship. It is uncanny to see this video because it is almost exactly like the layout and liturgy of that church.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
churchgeek, I suspect it was for visual effect (but it seems to work).

If the architect intended to install a sounding-board, tester, baldaccino, or whatever, it was probably for a good purpose.

Those who faff about, and tinker with, 'original' architectural features do so at their own Peril. Far better to do a Richard Giles, and start from scratch....

Wot e did at Philly Cathedral

Marmite!

IJ

Our cathedral was designed by Ralph Adams Cram. John Kirchmayer did the woodwork (reredos, pulpit, cathedra, dean's stall, etc.)

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

At Philadelphia (and at the church Angloid mentions, if it's the one I'm thinking of), Richard Giles pretty well took everything out, and started with a blank canvas.

This might not, of course, be at all appropriate in every church, especially one with particularly fine fittings and woodwork.

IJ

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

I've checked, and the drape was original. It's in one of the historic photos accompanying Cram's piece called "The Cathedral: A Sermon in Stone" which can be found here.

Anyone interested in church architecture (esp. in the US), and church fixtures (e.g., our beautiful Pewabic tile floor) might want to check that link out! (And then plan your visit to Detroit! [Big Grin] )

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another reason for such a canopy is to protect the preacher from bird doo doo. Remember, many cathedrals were known to have birds in the sanctuaries. Also, one of the reasons the baptistries are covered when not in use.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Another reason for such a canopy is to protect the preacher from bird doo doo. Remember, many cathedrals were known to have birds in the sanctuaries. Also, one of the reasons the baptistries are covered when not in use.

Bats as well, I imagine.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, but the way to get rid of bats is simply to baptise them.

You'll never see them again...

IJ

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

I blame Psalm 84:3.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016