homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » MW 3203: Duke University Chapel

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: MW 3203: Duke University Chapel
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed the report of the consecration of the Rt. Rev. Samuel Sewall Rodman as twelfth Bishop of North Carolina. (I do wish I could report on the new cathedral of the Catholic Diocese of Raleigh, but alas, being neither a major donor nor even a Catholic, I was left off of the ticket list.)

But there is one aspect of the report I think is worth expanding on. At the "Denomination" heading, the report says "Duke University was founded by Methodists and Quakers but is now nonsectarian." While probably technically accurate, this statement is misleading.

The original educational institution that would grow into Duke University was Brown's Schoolhouse, founded in 1838. it was in Randolph County, NC. In 1841, it was chartered as the Union Institute Academy, which was organized by the Union Institute Society, composed of Methodists and Quakers. (Quakers had a strong presence in central North Carolina from colonial times.)

In 1851 it became Normal College and in 1859, Trinity College. By that time, the college was firmly Methodist. The town that grew up around the college was named Trinity.

In 1892, the college moved to Durham, largely thanks to major gifts from the Duke family, a Methodist family that made its money in tobacco and electricity. The Dukes continued to support the school very generously, and in 1924 it was renamed Duke University.

While Union Institute Academy had some Quaker support, Duke has never been considered a Quaker school; rather it has long been firmly identified with the Methodist Church. It is technically nonsectarian now—a few years ago the by-laws were changed so that the North Carolina Conferences of the UMC no longer make appointments to Duke's Board of Trustees.

But Duke still acknowledges the historical connection to the Methodist Church, and the university's Divinity School is still formally related to the NC Conferences of the UMC. Likewise, while not technically having a Methodist congregation, the chapel is strongly identified with the Methodist Church.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK so why was an Episcopal bishop consecrated in a chapel of a non-sectarian college with Methodist roots? Do they have no buildings of their own?

--------------------
arse

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
OK so why was an Episcopal bishop consecrated in a chapel of a non-sectarian college with Methodist roots? Do they have no buildings of their own?

The Diocese of North Carolina has no cathedral, and the largest parish church is still significantly smaller than Duke Chapel in terms of capacity. (Of the 3 Episcopal dioceses in NC, only one has a cathedral, and it is a former parish church, not particularly large). There is no parish church in the diocese large enough to hold all the diocesan clergy, representatives of each parish, clergy and guests from the national church, choir, etc.

Prior to the building of the new Catholic cathedral (the current Catholic cathedral is the smallest in the lower 48), Duke Chapel was the largest church in the state. It has long been used by other denominations for services of this sort; I'm pretty sure that at least the last 2 or 3 Bishops of North Carolina were consecrated there. Meanwhile, the last consecration of a Catholic bishop here took place, if I remember right, in the local convention center.

[ 25. July 2017, 11:40: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found it interesting that apparently no Roman Catholic or Orthodox bishops were present at the ceremony.

[ 25. July 2017, 11:49: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I found it interesting that apparently no Roman Catholic or Orthodox bishops were present at the ceremony.

Yes. I don't know if that's because none were invited or none accepted. The Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina overlaps parts of the Catholic Dioceses of Raleigh and Charlotte. The Diocese of Raleigh is currently without a bishop—the new bishop was just named a few weeks ago. And there are relatively few Orthodox churches around here, and Orthodox bishops actually in NC, and the non-Anglican bishops listed as in attendance are all in NC. (The Southern Province of the Moravian Church is based in Winston-Salem.)

That said, the non-Anglican bishops listed are, I think, all from churches with which TEC is in full communion (ELCA and the Moravians) or churches with which dialogue has led to a proposal for full communion (UMC). My guess is that other clergy/denominational representatives were there, but the clergy listed actually participated in some sort of episcopal capacity.

BTW, the service can be watched at the diocesan website.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:

It's not unknown for major Episcopalian ceremonies to be held in other churches' facilities. There were several in RC cathedrals in the 1970s and 1980s (e.g. John Thompson, Coadjutor of Northern California in Sacramento) but I am not sure of any in recent years). Remember that TEC in the US is a relatively small church, with only 1.2% of the population claiming affiliation (3 million), and an even smaller number baptized (1.9 million)- as a relatively evenly dispersed church population, many of its congregations are fairly small and, as others noted, some dioceses do not have cathedrals. The use of Duke chapel would not be noticed.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
It's not unknown for major Episcopalian ceremonies to be held in other churches' facilities. There were several in RC cathedrals in the 1970s and 1980s (e.g. John Thompson, Coadjutor of Northern California in Sacramento) but I am not sure of any in recent years).

+Jeffrey Chicago was consecrated in the House of Hope, the 10,000-seat arena that is home to the Salem Baptist Church. The service was wonderful, and a great many people were there, but I'd say less than half the capacity of the House of Hope.
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here it's the other way round. One of our local universities regularly borrows our Cathedral for its degree ceremonies.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
It's not unknown for major Episcopalian ceremonies to be held in other churches' facilities. There were several in RC cathedrals in the 1970s and 1980s (e.g. John Thompson, Coadjutor of Northern California in Sacramento) but I am not sure of any in recent years).

+Jeffrey Chicago was consecrated in the House of Hope, the 10,000-seat arena that is home to the Salem Baptist Church. The service was wonderful, and a great many people were there, but I'd say less than half the capacity of the House of Hope.
Likewise, +Rob O'Neill here in Colorado was consecrated at a suburban megachurch campus. We have a fairly large cathedral, but it's still too small for this kind of event. Not to mention that parking in Capitol Hill is a nightmare even before half of the Episcopalians in the diocese show up.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
+Gene Robinson was consecrated at an indoor ice hockey rink.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the present Bishop of Arizona was consecrated in St. Francis Xavier Roman Catholic Church, the cathedral having been closed due to fire damage, and was seated in his cathedral after it reopened several months later.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
And the present Bishop of Arizona was consecrated in St. Francis Xavier Roman Catholic Church, the cathedral having been closed due to fire damage, and was seated in his cathedral after it reopened several months later.

The previous Bishop of Arizona was also consecrated in St. Francis Xavier (1992), but I believe it was because Trinity Cathedral is too small to accommodate the crowd. (In both cases the candidate was consecrated Bishop, then a few months later seated at the Cathedral when the outgoing Bishop retired and the new Bishop became the Ordinary.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016