homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » 2018: 20 years of Mystery Worship

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 2018: 20 years of Mystery Worship
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do any shipmates have any ideas for how we might mark 20 years of the Mystery Worshipper reports?

According to the archives, the project started in 1998, with the Kensington Temple in London being the first to be blessed by a mysterious visitor. I had wondered whether the time might be ripe to revisit some of the churches visited in the early days and see how they have changed (or not, as the case may be).

Or perhaps there could be another day to descend on mass en masse as happened in London in April 2005? I suppose a fully paid trip to New York might be a bit beyond the Ship’s budget... [Two face]

I thought it might be worth kicking a few ideas around a little bit early.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On mass or for mass?

I think I'd say en masse.

[ 19. July 2017, 10:54: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
En Masse

A mystery worship big day as in April 2004 (or 2005?), with each participant sent to a particular church of any denomination, which I think is what Gee D means. That is how I started.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm all in favor of commemorating the 20th anniversary, but please have mercy on me as editor. If an en masse visitation is in the works, I would need a team of reliable, competent editors to help me.

Personally I would rather see one very special event, or one very special church, or one very special ecclesiastical occasion, visited and reported on.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm...2018...how about the Service To Welcome The Lord Of The World, Donald Trump, At Westminster Abbey, On The Occasion Of His Magnificence's Condescending To Visit A Minor Vassal State?

I'll get me hat, and shut the door on me way out.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
I suppose a fully paid trip to New York might be a bit beyond the Ship’s budget... [Two face]

All depends where you're starting from ...

Anyway, the Merhodist Chapel in New York has closed and been converted into a private house.

[ 19. July 2017, 15:20: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Hmm...2018...how about the Service To Welcome The Lord Of The World, Donald Trump, At Westminster Abbey, On The Occasion Of His Magnificence's Condescending To Visit A Minor Vassal State?

I think that might have to fall to one of our Episcopal Shipmates.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
On mass or for mass?

I think I'd say en masse.

It was meant to be a pun. Never mind. [brick wall]
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
I suppose a fully paid trip to New York might be a bit beyond the Ship’s budget... [Two face]

All depends where you're starting from ...
I can walk as far as London City Airport, if that helps...
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I would rather see one very special event, or one very special church, or one very special ecclesiastical occasion, visited and reported on.

So if there's arises a need for the British to witness a coronation...
[Snigger]

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

IJ

And I'll ram it down on your head so hard you'll think it was a chin strap.

I could not, in good conscience, associate my name with a report that would force me to acquiesce to referring to His Royal Fartletter as "The Hon. Donald J. Trump, President of the United States."

He is not the president in my eyes. So far as I am concerned, the White House is casa vacans* at the moment. But I digress.

* Latin, empty house

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
[Snigger]

Hey, I've been trying to get someone to report on the Royal Maundy for the longest time, unsuccessfully. I'd settle for that. But a coronation . . . . Well, now.

--------------------

Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have looked this up and I find that the year of the "big day" was in 2005 and it was one Sunday in April that year. At that time, the date of each mystery report was not recorded. I have found my archived report that I wrote on that occasion.

There was a predominance of London churches on that Sunday in April 2005.

Amanda, I do not know how all that editing was coped with in April 2005, but what I do know is, that is was, and I wonder whether it can be coped with again, by the same means, in 2018.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't see why there can't be a team of editors if there was a sudden influx of reports. I'm happy to help if there was fairly clear guidelines as to how it was to be done.

--------------------
arse

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did my first ever report Quakers in Cairo in 1999 and I don't think anyone edited it.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
I do not know how all that editing was coped with in April 2005, but what I do know is, that is was, and I wonder whether it can be coped with again, by the same means, in 2018.

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I can't see why there can't be a team of editors if there was a sudden influx of reports. I'm happy to help if there was fairly clear guidelines as to how it was to be done.

I don't know how it was done in 2005 either. That was before the time I took over the page as lead editor. I think Simon was in charge of it, and he had a team working for him, many of whom are no longer active Shipmates.

We do have very clear editing guidelines -- a style sheet and helpful advice -- so all we need are volunteers to edit.

I would also advocate providing the style sheet to potential reporters, at least in this instance. Ordinarily we don't want the reporters to have to worry about the details of style -- we just want them to get their thoughts down in writing and then we'll take care of the editing. But it would simplify matters greatly if the reporters knew what we are looking for style-wise.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
I would also advocate providing the style sheet to potential reporters, at least in this instance. Ordinarily we don't want the reporters to have to worry about the details of style -- we just want them to get their thoughts down in writing and then we'll take care of the editing. But it would simplify matters greatly if the reporters knew what we are looking for style-wise.

Couldn't you just ask them to read a sample of recent reports and tell them to write in a similar manner?

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Couldn't you just ask them to read a sample of recent reports and tell them to write in a similar manner?

I could -- but I wouldn't bet on the quality of the results.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
[Snigger]

Hey, I've been trying to get someone to report on the Royal Maundy for the longest time, unsuccessfully. I'd settle for that. But a coronation . . . . Well, now.
The funeral that would necessitate a coronation will be quite an occasion, but not a happy one.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know how it was done in 2005 either. That was before the time I took over the page as lead editor. I think Simon was in charge of it, and he had a team working for him, many of whom are no longer active Shipmates.

As someone who did three reports on that day (IIRC) ... in the days following, I also spent some time travelling around London taking photographs of a number of the churches because MW'ers were unable to provide them. I guess things have moved on since that time and more shipmates will have a suitable camera. But it's maybe something to bear in mind.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Photos continue to be problematic.

--------------------

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I had wondered whether the time might be ripe to revisit some of the churches visited in the early days and see how they have changed (or not, as the case may be).

That would be interesting. Here's one of the first reports where the church has changed radically: The Crystal Cathedral

Several years ago, after much turmoil and decline, the congregation sold its building to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange. It's now an actual cathedral and is being extensively remodeled.

I visited the Cathedral last year when I was in LA (just to see the place on a weekday afternoon). The building is still stunning. (And incidentally, Thurl Ravenscroft, the original voice of Tony the Tiger, is buried in the memorial garden).

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

IJ

Satanic worship.....no can do...!
[Two face]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016