homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » MW 3252: Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Notre Dame

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: MW 3252: Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Notre Dame
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed reading Paterfamilias's report on the “Common Prayer of Reconciliation & Remembrance in Commemoration of the Reformations” at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart at Notre Dame University. It made wish I could have been there.

In answer to the question about making the visited church one’s regular church, Paterfamilias answered: “After this one unique service, I really have little idea of what their Sunday morning mass is like. As the site of a university's campus ministry, it's unlikely to be the sort of place to which Materfamilias and I would gravitate.” I thought some flavor of Sunday morning mass at the Basilica might be found by checking out the University of Notre Dame Folk Choir, which provides music for the 11:45 mass, and which also tours.

Quite a few videos of their music can be found on YouTube. I can't say whether they’d be to the tastes of Paterfamilias and Materfamilias, but I love listening to them and would go to hear them as often as possible if I lived any where Notre Dame. This one is one of my favorites, partially because I like this hymn*, partially because I think they sing it well, and partially because I find the joy with which they sing infectious: We Are Called—The Notre Dame Folk Choir.

* At our place, this hymn, based on Micah's “What does the Lord require of you...,” was sung the Sunday following Trump’s election and again the Sunday after his inauguration.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Link to report. The Basilica was also MWd in connection with the ordination of Shipmate Adam, formerly known as Hart.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Miss Amanda, and sorry for not including the link to the report. I knew I was forgetting something.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
In answer to the question about making the visited church one’s regular church, Paterfamilias answered: “After this one unique service, I really have little idea of what their Sunday morning mass is like. As the site of a university's campus ministry, it's unlikely to be the sort of place to which Materfamilias and I would gravitate.” I thought some flavor of Sunday morning mass at the Basilica might be found by checking out the University of Notre Dame Folk Choir, which provides music for the 11:45 mass, and which also tours.

I don't know if it has continued but Sunday Mass from the Basilica of the Sacred Heart used to be broadcast nationally on television. I forget if it was on the Hallmark Channel or if it was syndicated on local stations. I know it wasn't on EWTN and it must've been a different mass than the one with the folk choir because the music was more traditional. It may be worth checking online or in local listings to see if its still being broadcast.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paterfamilias here - thank you Nick Tamen for the link to "We Are Called" - I have mixed reactions to a lot of the newer Catholic hymnody, but this is one I love - it was wonderful hearing a full church sing this enthusiastically on the Sunday a "Mass Mob" visited St. Aloysius in Detroit. I went to YouTube, and after hearing several of the Folk Choir's selections, suspect I need to take Materfamilias to hear this group at a Sunday morning Mass, once the Michigan snow season is over - one rarely hears this repertoire sung so well. Their enthusiasm is genuinely infectious. Interesting that their ensemble includes pipe organ rather than piano or keyboard - but obviously there's no room for a piano in that balcony with so many singers.

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pleased to note that they refer to 'Modern Catholic hymnody' as 'Folk' or as I was accustomed to in my youth 'Christian Folk'. It took me a while to realise what we sang at my local URC that was not standard URC fair came from the Roman Catholic tradition.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016