homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Limbo moments in the Church Year's calendar?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Limbo moments in the Church Year's calendar?
Late Quartet

Irredeemably speciesist?
# 1207

- Posted      Profile for Late Quartet   Author's homepage   Email Late Quartet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are there any limbo moments in church calendars: I imagine there isn't really any limbo, more that it's that I've never found out?

I just found a kind-of 'limbo moment' in the CofE calendar; i.e. I didn't know about it before today, for CofE Common Worship at least: between Candlemas and the subsequent Sunday the Collect/s and Post Communion for the Fifth Sunday before Lent are to be used.

I started wondering about different moments, like the the 3 days between Ash Wednesday and the first Sunday of Lent, I don't know what happens, is it the Ash Wednesday Collect/s and Post Communion?

I also was wondering a few weeks back about the non-limbo of when the fourth Sunday of Advent is also Christmas Eve; at what point do you, ideally, switch from one Collect to the other, at sunset was my personal preference, but perhaps there's a tighter rule than that?

There's no limbo for 'Weekdays after Pentecost' that gets its own thing, but after Ascension in Common Worship it doesn't spell out whether to use that prayer for the following 3 days? I only know that the prayer for the 6th Sunday after Easter says 'not used after Ascension Day'.

[ 16. January 2018, 15:43: Message edited by: Late Quartet ]

--------------------
Late Quartet is cycling closer to Route 6 than Route 66 these days.

Posts: 899 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’m not sure what you mean by “limbo moments.” Can you flesh it out a little?

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably it means times that are between church seasons.

--------------------
arse

Late Quartet

Irredeemably speciesist?
# 1207

- Posted      Profile for Late Quartet   Author's homepage   Email Late Quartet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:

Yes, hard to explain, I'd describe it as a slightly ambiguous gap between one day in the calendar and the next:

e.g. between Candlemas and the next Sunday there's a rubric for a set of Collects that nearly fall off the end of the list—the fifth Sunday before Lent—even though those days after Candlemas are not in the week that is the fifth Sunday before Lent. If you are like me you have to go and look for the rubric for that week's Collect to find this out for the very first time, hence me describing it as a limbo moment in the Church Year calendar.

--------------------
Late Quartet is cycling closer to Route 6 than Route 66 these days.

Posts: 899 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's those special days when the congregation has to bend over backwards and dance under a horizontal pole.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May not be exactly a limbo moment and I was very conscious of Advent IV and Christmas Eve being two days rolled into one at the end of this past year.

But this year, with Candlemas on 2nd February, followed closely by Ash Wednesday on 14 February, has only a 12 day gap to change the 'mood' of the Church's seasons. Those of the traditionalists used to keeping up with the 'gesima Sundays' are experiencing quite an overlap!

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

It's those special days when the congregation has to bend over backwards and dance under a horizontal pole.
[Biased]

I believe in certain URCs then that is St Andrew's day.

We have certain churches called St Andrews where the current congregation is mainly of Carribean extraction. They kept the party but changed how it was celebrated.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

[Biased]

Ah, would that it were. That I might be able to help with. But being Presbyterian means having a somewhat simpler and more straightforward liturgical calendar—we did have to navigate Advent IV and Christmas Eve this year, but no Candlemas or gesimas to worry with—so the kind of “limbo moments” described by Late Quartet really aren’t an issue for us. We’re just in Ordinary Time until Ash Wednesday.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "gap" between Candlemas and the first Sunday in Lent are where you have Septuagesima, Sexagesima and Quinquagesima. If Easter is really late then you have Candlemas on the proper day but the sundays are still officially Sundays after the Epiphany.

Now I realise that some may not order their church year as in the BCP but for those of us who do, that is the schedule - so no gap.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Some may find the BCP not sufficiently varied for their liking, but in matters like this it is helpfully straightforward. I've never much cared for what I think of as the fiddly bits that later calendars seem to impose.

Advent
(Christmas)
Sundays after Christmas
(Epiphany)
Sundays after Epiphany
Septua-, Sexa-, and Quinquagesima
Sundays in Lent
Easter
Sundays after Easter
(Ascension Day)
Sunday after Ascension Day
Whitsunday
Trinity Sunday
Then lots of Sundays after Trinity until you start Advent again.

Simples!

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Green Time.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not really limbo, but there is an oddity in the BCP in that if the person leading Evensong is not a priest, then, instead of the long absolution ('who desireth not the death of a sinner, but rather that he should turn from his wickedness and live' etc), that person is directed to read the Collect for the 21st Sunday after Trinity. Presumably if it actually is the 21st Sunday after Trinity, then you get that same Collect twice.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Not really limbo, but there is an oddity in the BCP in that if the person leading Evensong is not a priest, then, instead of the long absolution ('who desireth not the death of a sinner, but rather that he should turn from his wickedness and live' etc), that person is directed to read the Collect for the 21st Sunday after Trinity. Presumably if it actually is the 21st Sunday after Trinity, then you get that same Collect twice.

Should it occur, there is always the collect for Ash Wednesday to fall back upon. Many years ago, I rember an instance when said collect was used by a lay officiant in place of the absolution at Morning or Evening Prayer.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:

I can see the oddity should it involve duplication, but there's no oddity at all about why the collect should be used rather than the normal absolution.

[ 17. January 2018, 18:35: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - it's the oddity of the duplication that I was getting at, but I didn't express it very well.

That said, I have heard lay readers read the absolution - more out of a failure to spot the rubric (which confusingly is given afterwards rather than deliberate disobedience - and I'm still not sure how 'naughty' that is; as far as I can see the absolution does not actually declare at any point that the speaker is absolving anyone.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

- Posted      Profile for keibat   Email keibat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shame on Readers who don't realize they are not authorized to pronounce absolution.

*Is outrage!* – Well, no, not really, is unprofessional.

Ŕ propos limbos, interstitials, etc, my wife and I have both the C of E Daily Office app and the Lectionary app, and use them regularly. The Lectionary app frequently offers you choices, usually dependent on whether you've kept the Festival of the Epiphany, for example, on 6 Jan or shifted it to the following Sunday.
The Daily Prayer app, on the other hand, makes those choices for you, so perhaps reflects the prevailing expectation among ... well, I'm not sure: perhaps just among the software geeks who wrote the app.

--------------------
keibat from the finnish north and the lincs east rim

Posts: 93 | From: Alford, Lincs + Turku, Finland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although the App is excellent, personally I'd recommend also splashing out the money each autumn to buy the maroon coloured lectionary for the forthcoming year.

Although it has its irritants (see Leo's recent gripe), if you're CofE, once you have it, you never need to agonise about any of these vexations again. You are entitled to follow it. Where it gives you a choice, you are entitled to exercise that choice. And that's it. Problem solved.

Likewise whatever ecclesial community you belong to. If it publishes a lectionary, buy it, follow it. It's your discipline. Don't be looking over your shoulder worrying whether you should be doing something else. You shouldn't.

[ 17. January 2018, 21:42: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by keibat:
The Daily Prayer app, on the other hand, makes those choices for you, so perhaps reflects the prevailing expectation among ... well, I'm not sure: perhaps just among the software geeks who wrote the app.

I can tell you the difference. The daily prayer is partially aimed at private devotion. While if you are leading a regular act of worship you might well want to make changes, when I pick up an app for my daily prayer I am relying on it to lead me rather than wanting to fuss precisely over what I should read.

This is especially true as I use it on the dates when I do not have time to use my own personal office which is lot more involved. What time I want to spend time talking with God rather than deciding what to say.

Jengie

[ 18. January 2018, 07:37: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by keibat:

Actually I am reasonably confident that some of those involved were liturgy geeks as well.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016