homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Oops... Service booklet errors (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oops... Service booklet errors
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas, and Easter, are probably the times I most see these...no doubt as custom service books are often needed.

For instance, at tonight's Lessons and Carols at Newcastle Cathedral While Shepherds Watched had the angels more concerned for themselves than humanity:
quote:
"All glory be to God on high
and on earth be peace;
good will henceforth from heaven to me
begin and never cease."

Which have you seen? Not just typos, but those which can change the meaning of a passage.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago at the University Carol Service in Southampton, the baby Jesus was "all meanly wrapped in Swaythling bands" - Swaythling being a part of the city where many students live.

And of course "Angles" make repeated appearances: Saxons should beware!

[ 24. December 2017, 10:29: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once attended a special service at a local breakaway Anglican church where the service concluded with a Te Deum. It was listed as "The Tedium" in the service leaflet.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a booklet error per se, but on the website for St James Cathedral for Nine Lessons, and for the Christmas Choral Eucharist, the banner-thingy at the top of the web page identifies them as the Funeral Liturgy. [Eek!]

Bah, humbug, indeed.

[ 24. December 2017, 11:42: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't want to know about any errors - I rushed the booklets to the printers before they closed on Friday and I'm going to pretend they're perfect.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are these service booklets of which you speak?

There are no Errors, Typographical or Doctrinal, in the Book of Common Prayer.

Harumph.

IJ (Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells)

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And do you know of any church which follows EXACTLY a liturgy as printed in BCP without adding, subtracting or changing something? Very confusing for visitors!

(Same is true for use of CW, of course).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No.

[Razz]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
And do you know of any church which follows EXACTLY a liturgy as printed in BCP without adding, subtracting or changing something? Very confusing for visitors!

(Same is true for use of CW, of course).

I've heard that doing BCP exactly as written is the quickest way to put off it's fans.
(I've not yet had the courage to tell them they're not meant to join in)

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love that in many English-speaking RC parishes, they still have little leaflets to help the congregation with the words of the new translation, but so many priests go on improvising their own prayers in all sorts of places, much as they did with the old translation.
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
What are these service booklets of which you speak?

There are no Errors, Typographical or Doctrinal, in the Book of Common Prayer.

Harumph.

IJ (Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells)

If you can convince the Church of Scotland of the merits of the BCP you're a better man than me. Or, as they say: you go first, we'll see who gets a stool thrown at them.
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bulletin at our place last night had the words to "Silent Night" printed out as we'd be moving during the singing to get in place for the candles, so hymnals wouldn’t be practical. (After communion, we move into a large circle around the pews for the candles/last hymns—always “Silent Night" and “Joy to the World.”) Apparently, all was clam, all was bright.

Then there was the year in the church of my youth when the minister, presumably thinking of straw, recalled how they laid the baby Jesus in the slaw. The look on his wife’s face was priceless.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our missalette for yesterday morning's mass proclaimed that Mary was the 'handmade' of the Lord.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never discovered if it was a typo or a statement of heresy, but a church i attended some years ago had this line in 'Adeste fideles'

'Word of the Father, now in faith appearing,' thereby implicitly denying the Incarnation.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

And yes, my service booklet was full of typos, odd versions of carols that I'd missed when I copied and pasted and, worst of all, AMERICANISMS! [Two face]
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the many reasons I almost never attend a service at the church where I work is that I really don't want to be sitting there on a Sunday morning and see a typo in the bulletin and feel every eye in the place on me!

I'm wondering, Arethosemyfeet: how on earth did you manage to get AMERICANISMS in your service booklet?!?

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
One of the many reasons I almost never attend a service at the church where I work is that I really don't want to be sitting there on a Sunday morning and see a typo in the bulletin and feel every eye in the place on me!

I did attend services at the church where I worked and had the same problem!
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm wondering, Arethosemyfeet: how on earth did you manage to get AMERICANISMS in your service booklet?!?

Apart from things like "color" I wonder if any managed the quote on one of my most loved tee-shirts, emblazoned on the front, "and also with y'all."

Fortunately at the pad that I attend these days the liturgy was in Māori, and while I have some Māori I'm sure as 'eck not up to finding errors.

Though even without advanced linguistic skills, I'd have to say that in any other context I would find singing this as a hymn to be somewhat errant. But singing it in Māori surrounded by people who have, in the past 18 months, given me a whole new lease of faith-life, meant that typos, theological glitches, and a myriad liturgico-theological dubiousities paled into insignificance, because love was there.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Not a service book typo but a Powerpoint one last week ... I got the chorus of "Ding dong merrily" muddled and changed "Hosanna in excelsis" into "In excelsis Deo" which doesn't quite scan [Hot and Hormonal] . We managed to get through OK after v.1!
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

It was pointed out to me (after the Crib Service) that the leaflet - which we have used for several successive Christmases - contains the classic While Shepherds Watched typo, to wit, the line 'Goodwill henceforth from heaven to me'.....

Now, I'd produced the leaflet, and I'd never noticed it, so presumably everyone who did was too afraid of my Wrath to mention it.... [Ultra confused]

The person who spotted it was our visiting organist, a lady whose first language is not English.

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

And who therefore has a better awareness of grammar and syntax than Native Speakers of the language.
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

There were a number of "Savior"s. [Frown]
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

BT said:
quote:
And who therefore has a better awareness of grammar and syntax than Native Speakers of the language.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

[Razz]

IJ

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One silly, one kind of amazing...

This summer, we had an update from the Episcopal Public Policy Network. Unfortunately, an "l" was left out in a way that spellcheck would not catch, and thus we had an update from the Episcopal Pubic Policy Network. (My brain is not wired to catch that kind of thing, so I can't claim credit for spotting it.)

Now the amazing one. When we got married, the Queen of Bashan and I thought, for various reasons both biological and personal, that kids were not in the cards. So we asked the church to leave out the optional prayer to bless the couple with children. It slipped in anyway, which was a bit embarrassing for everyone there, who were all in the know about our future plans, but it wasn't a big deal. Three years later, we were in front of the congregation for a blessing of our adopted child. So be careful what you pray for.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At a diocesan 'bash' a few years ago we found ourselves singing: 'will you kiss the leopard clean if you but call my name?' It sounded even more risky than the original...
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not just service sheets. There is a plaque in one of my churches with a lovely typo, or engraving error, I suppose. The gentleman commemorated fought in the Peninsular wars of the early 19th century, but in the word "Peninsular" the engraver missed out the second n. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The highly organized and accurate lady who prepared the service sheets at our shack has recently retired. Her replacement isn't yet quite up to the same standard. We were recently offered instructions for those who wished to receive communion by intuition.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Josquin
Apprentice
# 8834

- Posted      Profile for Josquin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The worst one I ever heard of - and in a manner laid.
Posts: 18 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have seen crucifixion written as crucifiction in a home-published hymnbook.

I don't think it represented a latter-day resurgence of Docetism.

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josquin:
The worst one I ever heard of - and in a manner laid.

In our old carols booklet (littered with typos) Jesus was often laid in a manager - which caused some regular hilarity. Fortunately the whole thing has been updated and rewritten, with some new carols added. I produced it, and was careful to get rid of every typo I could find...there remains one mistake (not a typo) but I haven't told anyone what it is, and nobody's complained yet...

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
In our old carols booklet (littered with typos) Jesus was often laid in a manager - which caused some regular hilarity. Fortunately the whole thing has been updated and rewritten, with some new carols added. I produced it, and was careful to get rid of every typo I could find...there remains one mistake (not a typo) but I haven't told anyone what it is, and nobody's complained yet...

Oh, please tell us -- we won't breathe a word to anyone else.

[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Ultra confused] [Biased] [Cool]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
I have seen crucifixion written as crucifiction in a home-published hymnbook.

I don't think it represented a latter-day resurgence of Docetism.

Funnily enough, although until Bill Gates came along I was an outstanding (and outstandingly modest [Roll Eyes] ) speller, it was one word I often got wrong. I didn't move in religious circles pre-adulthood so it rarely came up.

If only someone had pointed out to me that "fiction" etymologises (yeah, okay, my neologism and why not ... it's a free world) from fingere (to form, mold, shape, devise, feign) and beyond that fictio, whereas "crucifixion" derives from the verb "crucifigere" ... which derives from figo which is more closely related to fix (as in nail, glue etc)

Now if only I'd known that when I was doing my English lessons aged ten ... my school master hated me enough as it was (I was useless at cricket) but still ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the carols we sang over Christmas was "Once in Royal Davis's city". Most people never noticed at all.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We once had the following printed in our bulletin as our offertory hymn:

All people that on earth do swell,
Sing to the Lord with cheerful voice...

Which suggests either 1) those who are doing swell or 2) those who are swelling.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once sang rather loudly the verse of "All things Bright and Beautiful" that is the subject of this Telegraph article. The reason being that while I did not endorse that line, what was actually printed was worse as "grave" had been substituted for "gate".

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ST
Shipmate
# 14600

- Posted      Profile for ST     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago, I was at a pilgrimage Mass where the Mass Setting was to the tune of "Holy, holy, holy, holy, holy, holy, Lord God almighty".

Sadly, one line had us snickering a bit: "And we lift our hards before you as a token of our love. Holy, holy, holy, holy."

Posts: 114 | From: No longer in the South-west of the UK! | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a bulletin misprint per se, but one time I sent out a bunch of publicity alerting people to our upcoming "Service of Lessons and Carlos". Carlos never showed up, but it was a fine service just the same.
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years down the track, I still remember the wedding service where everyone sang FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT WITH ALL THY MIGHT. Why anyone would choose such a song at a wedding remains a mystery, but this error by the printer caused much mirth. Every time those words occurred, they were in upper case.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Error by the printer my codlings...

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago I played for a wedding with a wonderful typo. Most of the guests having been to the sort of school that had compulsory chapel they sang the hymns lustily as printed in the order of service, including Immoral, invisible, God only wise [Killing me]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A legendary (Powerpoint) typo in my church years ago resulted in the whole congregation being exhorted to sing praises to the Sod of God. [Snigger]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Not a typo but ... We sang the hymn "Thou didst leave thy throne" on Sunday, in its original version which includes the line "Thy couch was the sod, O Thou Son of God". No-one giggled, which is unusual!

Modern hymnbooks often recast this line.

Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago we had a typed carol sheet including
"Sing, choirs of angels,
Sin in exultation"

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Man with a Stick
Shipmate
# 12664

- Posted      Profile for The Man with a Stick   Email The Man with a Stick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The scariest one I ever saw was:

"Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now at the hour of our death. Amen"

Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Man with a Stick:
The scariest one I ever saw was:

"Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now at the hour of our death. Amen"

Is that what you call a zero-tolerance approach to sin? [Eek!]

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
they sang the hymns lustily as printed in the order of service, including Immoral, invisible, God only wise

The typist may have been thinking of this.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I have a coworker who (un)helpfully points them all out to me the next work day. But at least I avoid the stares in church!

At my church, a couple of years ago, a rubric in the bulletin invited the congregation to "All sin heartily."

...I mean, we're in full communion now with the ELCA, but we're not going to just quote Luther directly!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyonesse
Apprentice
# 2567

- Posted      Profile for Lyonesse   Email Lyonesse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite error dates from a theological college around the turn of the millennium, where the Collect for Purity was rendered thus:

Almighty God, to whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from whom all secrets are hidden . . .

Posts: 29 | From: Merseyside | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Though this was not a typo, I once sang something completely wrong that completely changed a hymn. The hymn is called "Ren og rettferdig" ("pure and justified") and is a standard Norwegian revival type hymn, written in 1895. See more here, unfortunately in Norwegian: http://salmebloggen.no/2016/09/17/ren-og-rettferdig/

One of the lines says, "Å, jeg er frelst og salig fordi SØNNEN har gjort meg virkelig fri," which translated roughly as "Oh, I am saved and blessed because THE SON has really set me free."

But I sang, "Å, jeg er frelst og salig fordi SYNDEN har gjort meg virkelig fri," which translated roughly as "Oh, I am saved and blessed because THE SIN has really set me free." Yeah………

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016