homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Calling Mere Nick to Hell (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Calling Mere Nick to Hell
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your last post in the 2012 election thread showed your absolute ignorance of Islam. There are different branches or "denominations" of Islam just as there are of Christianity and Judaism. Many Saudis practice Wahabi Islam, which is what we know/see as radical Islam. There other 2 main branches are Sunni and Shia. Most in the U.S. practice Suffi Islam, which is a very liberal branch and blends in well with the West. Radical Islam makes up a tiny percentage of Islam as a whole, but it gets all of the attention in the press. There are approx. 2 million Muslims in the world. If they were what you believe we'd be up to our chests in blood.

I question whether you've even read the Quran as a whole or know Muslims in your area. I am a Christian, but I've taken the considerable time to properly educate myself on other religions - especially before holding myself out as an expert. Your posts are nothing but ignorant, hate filled rants with nothing to back them up. Those of your ilk fail to realize that you stir up anger and hate, possibly helping a young Muslim onto the path of extremism when they are rejected in their own countries. Educate yourself and then make a positive effort to reach out to Muslims in your area.

BTW, much of the bloodshed in the Middle East has been in countries like Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya - which were ruled by brutal dictatorships, most of whom were secular. I'd compare the bloodshed that took place in the former Yugoslavia after the dictatorship of Tito and communism fell. In that case it was Christians slaughtering Muslims, but I certainly don't judge Christianity by that, just as I don't judge Islam by the tiny faction bent on bloodshed.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm already aware of what you have said and still maintain my opinion of Islam. If one could look the world over and find muslims only as pushy as the Amish then there wouldn't be a problem.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
If one could look the world over and find muslims only as pushy as the Amish then there wouldn't be a problem.

If one could look the world over and find Christians only as pushy as the Amish, then there would be a lot fewer problems as well.

Heck, there would be a lot fewer problems on the Ship if that were true.

Obviously, no one here is going to persuade you to change your mind--and you aren't going to change anyone else's. Still, if you want to make your case, this isn't it. If you don't, forget I brought it up...

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm already aware of what you have said and still maintain my opinion of Islam. If one could look the world over and find muslims only as pushy as the Amish then there wouldn't be a problem.

There are such Muslims here in the U.S. and Europe. You're too stupid to realize that it is a tiny minority of Islam that is responsible for the violence. It is willful ignorance like you are displaying that is responsible for violence against peaceful Muslims in this country. Please educate yourself and STFU with the hate before you do.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:

You certainly aren't like the Amish...

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
[QB] Your last post in the 2012 election thread showed your absolute ignorance of Islam. There are different branches or "denominations" of Islam just as there are of Christianity and Judaism. Many Saudis practice Wahabi Islam, which is what we know/see as radical Islam. There other 2 main branches are Sunni and Shia. Most in the U.S. practice Suffi Islam, which is a very liberal branch and blends in well with the West.

I already know that. You need to remember my problem is with Islam, not with muslims, unless they are are the pushy, militant kind.

quote:
Radical Islam makes up a tiny percentage of Islam as a whole, but it gets all of the attention in the press.
I believe a so-called "radical" muslim knows Islam better than you, though.

quote:
There are approx. 2 million Muslims in the world. If they were what you believe we'd be up to our chests in blood.
You might want to update that number.

quote:
I question whether you've even read the Quran as a whole or know Muslims in your area.
Read it and know Muslims. From what I read their Allah hates me.

quote:
I am a Christian, but I've taken the considerable time to properly educate myself on other religions - especially before holding myself out as an expert. Your posts are nothing but ignorant, hate filled rants with nothing to back them up.
If this was before I'd read the koran and learned what their Allah thinks of me, you might have a point.

quote:
Those of your ilk fail to realize that you stir up anger and hate, possibly helping a young Muslim onto the path of extremism when they are rejected in their own countries. Educate yourself and then make a positive effort to reach out to Muslims in your area.
When I read it I certainly see some big time hate stirred up against the both of us.

quote:
In that case it was Christians slaughtering Muslims, but I certainly don't judge Christianity by that, just as I don't judge Islam by the tiny faction bent on bloodshed.
That's just it, when I read the koran what I see is a vile hatred taught against the non-muslim. That's why I don't like Islam.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
STFU with the hate before you do.

If only you were around to tell Muhammed that.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
quote:
STFU with the hate before you do.

If only you were around to tell Muhammed that.
Thus far you have offered no proof of what you say. I have, however, seen a document signed by Muhammed granting immunity to Jews and Christians in his territory. It's on display in a Catholic monestary.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
quote:
[QB] Your last post in the 2012 election thread showed your absolute ignorance of Islam. There are different branches or "denominations" of Islam just as there are of Christianity and Judaism. Many Saudis practice Wahabi Islam, which is what we know/see as radical Islam. There other 2 main branches are Sunni and Shia. Most in the U.S. practice Suffi Islam, which is a very liberal branch and blends in well with the West.

I already know that. You need to remember my problem is with Islam, not with muslims, unless they are are the pushy, militant kind.

quote:
Radical Islam makes up a tiny percentage of Islam as a whole, but it gets all of the attention in the press.
I believe a so-called "radical" muslim knows Islam better than you, though.

quote:
There are approx. 2 million Muslims in the world. If they were what you believe we'd be up to our chests in blood.
You might want to update that number.

quote:
I question whether you've even read the Quran as a whole or know Muslims in your area.
Read it and know Muslims. From what I read their Allah hates me.

quote:
I am a Christian, but I've taken the considerable time to properly educate myself on other religions - especially before holding myself out as an expert. Your posts are nothing but ignorant, hate filled rants with nothing to back them up.
If this was before I'd read the koran and learned what their Allah thinks of me, you might have a point.

quote:
Those of your ilk fail to realize that you stir up anger and hate, possibly helping a young Muslim onto the path of extremism when they are rejected in their own countries. Educate yourself and then make a positive effort to reach out to Muslims in your area.
When I read it I certainly see some big time hate stirred up against the both of us.

quote:
In that case it was Christians slaughtering Muslims, but I certainly don't judge Christianity by that, just as I don't judge Islam by the tiny faction bent on bloodshed.
That's just it, when I read the koran what I see is a vile hatred taught against the non-muslim. That's why I don't like Islam.

It's obvious I know more about Islam than you do as I've taken the time to research it and don't judge the whole based on a minority. I've read the Quran and I see a lot of the Old Testament in it. Unless you're prepared to make the same statements against Judaism and Christianity you're a hypocrite. I've also seen bloodshed committed by radical Christians and Jews, but I don't judge the whole religion by it. You've fallen for a lot of propaganda, I could probably name your sources as I've seen them enough as well.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I never know…Are we supposed to count Ottoman atrocities as Islamic ones or Turkish ones? )

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
(I never know…Are we supposed to count Ottoman atrocities as Islamic ones or Turkish ones? )

That question goes for a lot of atrocities - is it tribal/nationalistic or Islam/Christianity/Judaism?

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Sine Nomine

# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well you're the expert. Which do you think? I'm trying to get some atrocity direction here.

--------------------

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

And Nick, I admit to not being like the Amish - but I pray to be. I really don't know how they forgave the man who slaughtered their children, but they did.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
Well you're the expert. Which do you think? I'm trying to get some atrocity direction here.

Not an expert on all atrocities, but I think all of the above fits for most I've seen in recent times. Some have been religious extremists and some really are just tribal or national blood letting. Considering Turkey's view of/denial of history, I'd say that one was a Turkish thing. Just my opinion, not fact.

[ 06. March 2012, 21:21: Message edited by: Niteowl2 ]

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad this made it to Hell. Because now I'm free to express how bloody ridiculous it is to look at the kind of radical Islam practised in, say, parts of Saudi Arabia and think it tells you anything at all about how Islam is practised in Morocco, Mali or Malaysia.

Any more than Christianity in the deep Baptist South of America tells you anything about how Christianity is practised in my neck of the woods.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:

I'll ask you your opinion on Northern Ireland - was it a religious war among Christians or was it nationalism or struggle for independence? Can you judge Christianity based on this tiny microcosm? Or on Bosnia? I'd say no just as you can't judge Islam based on a tiny faction that practices bloodshed.

With that I'm off to RL

[ 06. March 2012, 21:32: Message edited by: Niteowl2 ]

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Sine Nomine

# 66

quote:
Can you judge Christianity based on this tiny microcosm? Or on Bosnia?

No, but we can always throw in the Crusades, the Inquisition and a bunch of other stuff.

quote:
I'd say no just as you can't judge Islam based on a tiny faction that practices bloodshed.

Would this be the same tiny fraction that rioted over those Danish cartoons a while back? Or another tiny fraction?

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I'm glad this made it to Hell. Because now I'm free to express how bloody ridiculous it is to look at the kind of radical Islam practised in, say, parts of Saudi Arabia and think it tells you anything at all about how Islam is practised in Morocco, Mali or Malaysia.

Any more than Christianity in the deep Baptist South of America tells you anything about how Christianity is practised in my neck of the woods.

Malaysia and Morocco? [Killing me]

There isn't a single shipmate living in the Southern United States who would continue living in the Southern United States if Southern Baptists had as much power in the Southern United States as Muslims have in Malaysia and Morocco. Southern Baptists wouldn't accept that much power even if it was offered to them. And you offer these two as examples of Muslim tolerance?

quote:
originally posted by Niteowl2:
Most in the U.S. practice Suffi Islam

Not even close

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:

Not even close
Beeswax Altar is correct.

There are currently 12 mosques in my middle Tennessee area. 9 are Sunni, 2 Shia, and 1 non denominational.

For a broader perspective, I checked NYC. Of the 56 mosques in Brooklyn, 53 are Sunni, 2 are Shia, and 1 is Sufi.

Source: http://www.salatomatic.com/

[ 06. March 2012, 22:09: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Similarly, when the US and its allies invaded Iraq, was it an attack on Islam, or an attack on secular Baathism?

If it was anti-Islamic(as some Muslim sympathizers try to argue), why does the US also back one of the least secularized Muslim regimes in the world, that being Saudi Arabia?

On the other hand, much of the pro-war propaganda around that time portrayed it as an attack on Islam. But I guess saying "We're gonna destroy the regime that's been protecting Iraqi Christians from sectarian violence" wouldn't have sold too well in the Bible Belt.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
quote:
quote:

Not even close
Beeswax Altar is correct.

There are currently 12 mosques in my middle Tennessee area. 9 are Sunni, 2 Shia, and 1 non denominational.

For a broader perspective, I checked NYC. Of the 56 mosques in Brooklyn, 53 are Sunni, 2 are Shia, and 1 is Sufi.

Source: http://www.salatomatic.com/

According to the same web site, both Metro Detroit (including Dearborn)and Minneapolis-St. Paul have only one Sufi mosque each.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Malaysia and Morocco? [Killing me]

There isn't a single shipmate living in the Southern United States who would continue living in the Southern United States if Southern Baptists had as much power in the Southern United States as Muslims have in Malaysia and Morocco. Southern Baptists wouldn't accept that much power even if it was offered to them. And you offer these two as examples of Muslim tolerance?

I most certainly cite them as an example of Muslim difference. Morocco actively discourages the importation of the Saudi brand of Islam.

As for tolerance, Malaysia quite deliberately distinguishes between its Muslim population and its non-Muslim population, which is nearly 40%, and does not require non-Muslims to behave as if they were Muslims.

And Morocco has considerable links with Europe, not least with tourism which happens in a way that would be utterly inconceivable in Saudi Arabia.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Would this be the same tiny fraction that rioted over those Danish cartoons a while back? Or another tiny fraction?

Well, I think if you look at the number of Muslims who actually rioted, it was a pretty miniscule faction of the Muslim world.

I guess you can throw in Muslims who thought it was okay to riot, but didn't riot themselves, and the number might get a little higher.

And probably significantly higher if you count Muslims who, while disapproving of violence, think that legal proceedings should be launched against anyone insulting the Prophet. Though I suspect that Christian attitudes were roughly the same earlier in the last century.

The last public prosecution for blaspemy in the UK was 1921, and the guy did six months hard labour(Mary Whitehouse's later case against Gay News was a private prosecution). I'm just guessing, but I'd imagine a lot of Britons at the time would've just accepted that that's what you get for insulting Jesus.

link

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

By the way Beeswax, you also managed to stuff up the analogy completely. Southern Baptists = radical Christians, so it's not a question of how much power 'Muslims' have in Malaysia or Morocco, it's a question of how much power 'radical Muslims' have in Malyasia or Morocco. Answer: not very much.

Conversely, how much power do Christians have in the southern United States? A heck of a bloody lot. And in the whole United States in fact. One only has to look at the amount of attention you pay to the religious affiliation of your leaders. You might have official separation of church and state, but just look at the hoo-ha over the idea that Obama is secretly a Muslim not a Christian. Or the discomfort with Romney being a Mormon. Or just the fact that your politicians have to talk about God on a regular basis.

Meanwhile we've got an avowedly atheist Prime Minister over here (and a woman to boot! living in sin with her boyfriend!) and hardly anyone gives a shit.

[ 06. March 2012, 23:16: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
originally posted by orfeo:
I most certainly cite them as an example of Muslim difference. Morocco actively discourages the importation of the Saudi brand of Islam.

Morocco discriminates against all other religions.

quote:
As for tolerance, Malaysia quite deliberately distinguishes between its Muslim population and its non-Muslim population, which is nearly 40%, and does not require non-Muslims to behave as if they were Muslims.

Yes, and if you are an ethnic Malay, national law mandates you be Muslim. Any Muslim (even those who aren't Malays) converting to another religion can be fined or imprisoned. Practioners of other religions are free to convert to Islam.

quote:
And Morocco has considerable links with Europe, not least with tourism which happens in a way that would be utterly inconceivable in Saudi Arabia.

Oh, you meant moderate compared to Saudi Arabia. I was comparing them to Southern Baptists in the Southern United States. If Southern Baptists had as much power in Southern United States as Muslims have in Malaysia and Morocco, nobody would seriously claim Southern Baptists in the United States were tolerant or that those other than Southern Baptists had religious freedom.

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
quote:
Can you judge Christianity based on this tiny microcosm? Or on Bosnia?

No, but we can always throw in the Crusades, the Inquisition and a bunch of other stuff.

quote:
I'd say no just as you can't judge Islam based on a tiny faction that practices bloodshed.

Just about the same fraction of sports fans that riot every time their team wins or lose and those that riot for lack of jobs or out of racism. Personally, I think there are those who just love to riot.

Frankly, blaming religions for all the bloodshed is just another form of prejudice depending on which side you're on - but that point passed right over your head.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

Let's see, a lot of other posts stating that some countries legally mandate Islam. Note the government, not the people. I view this about the same way I did when the communists mandated atheism - it's about consolidation of power over the populace, not about religion. You see what happens when people challenge that power. ETA you see the same reaction the communists had even when the populace are majority Muslim. It's about power not religion.

[ 06. March 2012, 23:52: Message edited by: Niteowl2 ]

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

And Orfeo is right. Anyone watching the current elections here can see Evangelical Christianity holds most of the power here. There was the same vitriol and spite dour predictions when a Muslim was actually elected to Congress. Everyone's Christian credentials are challenged in just about every election.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

orfeo

# 13878

I do find it funny that people get worked up about a legal mandate for Islam, when a very large proportion of the Ship come from a country where the head of State is also the head of the church.

The law on the books is only one element of what happens as a practical reality.

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It wasn't all that long ago that the good ole Christians of the Southeast sustained a society that lynched black people, killed gay people, forbade interracial marriage and enforced prohibition and segregation. The Southern Baptists would probably have had the same power as Sunni Muslims if Christianity wasn't so factionalized through denominationalism dating back to the establishment of the U.S. As the saying goes "The Methodists said there was no hell and the Southern Baptists said 'The Hell there ain't'". There hasn't been same the kind of institutional cohesion in fundamentalist Christianity that there has been in fundamentalist Islam where 90% of the faith follows Sunnism, so it was never as effective an instrument of social control.

No doubt the Islam is far stricter and more all-encompassing than Christianity throughout Asia and Africa today, but observant Muslim women were burning their headscarves and agitating for equality in Cairo, Tehran and Kabul in the 1920s. The history of Islam of the late 19th and early 20th Century saw a parallel movement toward greater secularism, tolerance and gender equality that Christianity had traced. Unfortunately that came to an abrupt end at the end of WWII.

Also, historically, the treatment of religious minorities (Christians and Jews) in Muslim-dominated societies was far better than in Christian Europe over the past millennium too. Islam allows for the salvation of non-Muslims in a way that Christianity doesn't allow for non-Christians. Jews and Christians are "people of the book" whose notables are celebrated in Islam as well. This had a huge impact on social attitudes in Muslim socieities. They may have been second class citizens who were forced to pay a tax for protection, but many Christians were leaders in government an academia during a time when Jews were being expelled from whole countries and forced to live in ghettos.

The current trend towards more aggressivism, conservatism and intolerance in Islam is largely in response to western political (and more importantly) cultural imperialism. Western products, music, TV, fashion, government and economic systems and western-chosen dictators have disrupted both culture and communities in a way that no foreign power has ever accomplished in the west. It's human nature to become more rigid and intolerant when one perceives that their identity is being eroded by outsiders.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
Let's see, a lot of other posts stating that some countries legally mandate Islam. Note the government, not the people. I view this about the same way I did when the communists mandated atheism - it's about consolidation of power over the populace, not about religion. You see what happens when people challenge that power. ETA you see the same reaction the communists had even when the populace are majority Muslim. It's about power not religion.

Well, if you notice that in nearly every predominantly Muslim nation, Islam is the official religion and in most of those nations adherents of other religion are persecuted to varying degrees, then it's probably the religion and not just the governments. Claiming that most Muslims are more tolerant than their government is simply absurd. Name the last time a Muslim popular movement brought more freedom for non Muslims. I can think of one period and I'm defining Muslim popular movement loosely.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
And Orfeo is right. Anyone watching the current elections here can see Evangelical Christianity holds most of the power here. There was the same vitriol and spite dour predictions when a Muslim was actually elected to Congress. Everyone's Christian credentials are challenged in just about every election.

And that's just stupid. Let's see. The Democrats will run an incumbent president who was a member of the UCC and a Roman Catholic VP. The Republicans will likely run a Mormon as their candidate. Most Evangelicals don't even consider Mormons to be Christians. The guy in second place is Roman Catholic. Roman Catholics aren't Evangelicals. Evangelical Christians can't even get the Republicans to nominate an Evangelical Christian. Damn...those Evangelicals are powerful... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Beeswax, you are correct. And that is precisely the most remarkable thing about the 2012 election. Because that is a marked difference to the past.

Within living memory, a substantial proportion of the populace was up in arms at the prospect of a Catholic President. I don't believe you've had another one since that one got shot. So such tolerance and progress as there is in America is not something of long standing.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

OK...let's see.

George W. Bush was United Methodist. He is the only Republican president that could be considered an Evangelical and he was a member of a mainline denomination. Bill Clinton was Southern Baptist but the Evangelicals mostly voted for the United Methodist, Bob Dole, and Episcopalian, George H.W. Bush. George H.W. Bush was Episcopalian. Ronald Reagan was Disciples of Christ though he didn't attend church much. Jimmy Carter was Southern Baptist but progressives love him. Richard Nixon was Quaker. Lyndon Johnson was Southern Baptist and progressives sure like a lot of the things he did as well. Every single president from an Evangelical denomination has been a Democrat. With the exception of Bill Clinton, Evangelicals haven't had much electoral success. Truman barely won a full term and would have lost a second term. Johnson decided not to seek reelection. Carter lost his campaign for reelection. The Republicans have never even nominated an Evangelical for president.

You can't seriously compare that to Muslim power in Morocco? Forget about Malaysia. Remember those are the tolerant and moderate Muslim countries.

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
OK...let's see.

George W. Bush was United Methodist. He is the only Republican president that could be considered an Evangelical and he was a member of a mainline denomination. Bill Clinton was Southern Baptist but the Evangelicals mostly voted for the United Methodist, Bob Dole, and Episcopalian, George H.W. Bush. George H.W. Bush was Episcopalian. Ronald Reagan was Disciples of Christ though he didn't attend church much. Jimmy Carter was Southern Baptist but progressives love him. Richard Nixon was Quaker. Lyndon Johnson was Southern Baptist and progressives sure like a lot of the things he did as well. Every single president from an Evangelical denomination has been a Democrat. With the exception of Bill Clinton, Evangelicals haven't had much electoral success. Truman barely won a full term and would have lost a second term. Johnson decided not to seek reelection. Carter lost his campaign for reelection. The Republicans have never even nominated an Evangelical for president.

You can't seriously compare that to Muslim power in Morocco? Forget about Malaysia. Remember those are the tolerant and moderate Muslim countries.

Just pointing out the power that evangelicals have built up. Take a look at the current presidential election. Even Obama is sucking up to the evangelicals. My other problem with this is that the voters fall for it - take all of the nice "family values" good evangelicals in Congress that have been caught in affairs - both straight and gay.

As to government run religion - remember it's about power, not really religion. Just like the communists - and the same thing happens to the majority Muslim populations when they protest: the government turns on them.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
quote:

Well, if you notice that in nearly every predominantly Muslim nation, Islam is the official religion and in most of those nations adherents of other religion are persecuted to varying degrees, then it's probably the religion and not just the governments. Claiming that most Muslims are more tolerant than their government is simply absurd. Name the last time a Muslim popular movement brought more freedom for non Muslims. I can think of one period and I'm defining Muslim popular movement loosely.
If you'll note, I didn't claim they were more tolerant, I pointed out they were a lot like their atheist dictatorship counterparts. It's not about religion, really, it's about maintaining power over the people. When the majority Muslim people protest, the government turns on them.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Actually, when I think of the tolerant and moderate Muslim countries they are Bosnia, Albania, Kosovo, Turkey, Sénégal, and Guinea and perhaps Bangladesh, Lebanon and Indonesia.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
Just pointing out the power that evangelicals have built up. Take a look at the current presidential election. Even Obama is sucking up to the evangelicals. My other problem with this is that the voters fall for it - take all of the nice "family values" good evangelicals in Congress that have been caught in affairs - both straight and gay.

As to government run religion - remember it's about power, not really religion. Just like the communists - and the same thing happens to the majority Muslim populations when they protest: the government turns on them.

What would become Evangelicalism in the United States had its genesis in the Second Great Awakening. Theologically conservative Christians had much more political power in the 19th and early 20th centuries than now. Evangelicals were actually able to get constitutional amendments passed. What have Evangelicals got for all their participation in politics? Next to nothing

Governments use Islam. However, they give lip service to Islam in order to pacify more conservative Muslims. Ask the Coptic Christians in Egypt. Ask the Assyrian Christians of Iraq (what's left of them). Ask the Christians of Syria. Popular Muslim uprisings do not produce more tolerant governments. George W. Bush based his entire foreign policy on the exact same assumption you are making. He was wrong and so are you.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
... It's human nature to become more rigid and intolerant when one perceives that their identity is being eroded by outsiders.

I don't get my identity from outside influences -- I am what I am. Is it logical that I should buck and balk and fuss and fight to hammer Society into seeing/describing... labeling... me the way I want them to? Do I get my identity from Them?

quote:
... we've got an avowedly atheist Prime Minister over here (and a woman to boot! living in sin with her boyfriend!) and hardly anyone gives a shit.

Horribly degenerate bunch over there, y'all, aintcha. [Razz]

Anything more to say, Mere Nick, or is the Purgatory-like commentary too good to interrupt?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
OK...let's see.

Why do you persist in comparing various individual Christian denominations with a single group of Muslims?

Either compare Christian denominations with different Muslim schools/sects, or compare all Christians with all Muslims. It's not rocket science, for God's sake.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

I mean, it's like talking about terriers, spaniels, daschunds, german shepherds, bulldogs, dalmatians, golden retrievers, labradors, bloodhounds, collies and chihuahuas and then constantly comparing them with "cats".

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do find it funny that people get worked up about a legal mandate for Islam, when a very large proportion of the Ship come from a country where the head of State is also the head of the church.

Yeah, and we have to watch all these beheadings of adulterers and apostates from the C of E. [Roll Eyes]

You're a nice chap, orfeo, but you need to keep a tighter rein on your Inner Dickhead.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:

Yeah, and we have to watch all these beheadings of adulterers and apostates from the C of E. [Roll Eyes]

You're a nice chap, orfeo, but you need to keep a tighter rein on your Inner Dickhead.

Which bit of 'the law is only one part of what happens in practice' did you not understand?

And are you not aware of what happened in the initial period of the Church of England establishing itself with the monarch as head? Don't kid yourself that these things can't happen with a Christian church.

You're a nice chap, QLib, but you need to gain a bit of reading comprehension and knowledge of history.

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
quote:

What would become Evangelicalism in the United States had its genesis in the Second Great Awakening. Theologically conservative Christians had much more political power in the 19th and early 20th centuries than now. Evangelicals were actually able to get constitutional amendments passed. What have Evangelicals got for all their participation in politics? Next to nothing

Governments use Islam. However, they give lip service to Islam in order to pacify more conservative Muslims. Ask the Coptic Christians in Egypt. Ask the Assyrian Christians of Iraq (what's left of them). Ask the Christians of Syria. Popular Muslim uprisings do not produce more tolerant governments. George W. Bush based his entire foreign policy on the exact same assumption you are making. He was wrong and so are you.

I'd prefer to ask the Muslims in Egypt that threw out Mubarak and are poised to toss the military because they, too, are using Islam for their own power. What don't you get about dictatorships that use Islam don't represent Islam? That's what Arab spring has been about - governments that abuse Islam to abuse the populace. They don't represent Islam.

That's also what's sad about the wave of Evangelical voting power at present - it's not gotten the Evangelicals much. In fact, I'd say the politicians here use Christianity for their own power much the way governments in the ME use Islam for their own power. Imagine that.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Governments use Islam. However, they give lip service to Islam in order to pacify more conservative Muslims.

Yep. In the same way that many US Presidents give lip service to Christianity in order to pacify more conservative Christians.

But if that doesn't mean that the conservative Christians actually have power in the US, it cannot be said to mean that the conservative Muslims actually have power in Islamic countries.

Sauce for the goose, and all that...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The law on the books is only one element of what happens as a practical reality.

She is the Head of the State, yes. But she doesn't rule the State. If Her Maj wanted to legally impose her own convictions on religion on her subjects she wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell, and indeed no monarch has had that kind of influence since - what? George IV? Or even before that?

I don't think Islam is necessarily the complete bogey-man it's often made out to be, but I have to confess to feeling extremely discouraged by the rate at which governments (Saudi Arabia, Iran and most recently Afghanistan) are insisting on strict-form Sharia Islam to control the freedom of women. Apparently, the Afghanistan government are legisltatively adopting Muslim clerics instructions to segregate women at school and at work, and with regard to not being permitted to travel without a man.

I know that in the past - and currently - many forms of Christianity are not shining examples of equality or humanity, but it's no reason to ignore other abuses within other systems, religious or otherwise, when they are blatant.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

That's 3 countries - and in one of them (Afghanistan) it tends to be more a wild patchwork of different attitudes than a coherent philosophy. Line that up against the list of moderate or avowedly secular states.

The thing that bothers me is that usually the difference between extreme Christian states and extreme Islamic states is simply one of timing. The worst Christian ones are in the past. Some of the worst Islamic ones happen to be in the present. But there is nothing inherently 'Islamic' about any of it. Rewind back in time and there are periods where there are moderate, forward-thinking Islamic states that looked askance at their nutty Christian neighbours. It is largely an accident of history as to which religion has the more influential or noticeable fanatics.

[ 07. March 2012, 10:48: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

When all the stuff like this is no longer in the quran than my opinion of Islam could change. Until then, nope.

quote:

[9.29] Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.
[9.30] And the Jews say: Uzair is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!
[9.31] They have taken their doctors of law and their monks for lords besides Allah, and (also) the Messiah son of Marium and they were enjoined that they should serve one God only, there is no god but He; far from His glory be what they set up (with Him).

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, because there's absolutely no passages whatsoever within the Bible that refer to smiting the unbeliever or condemning heretics to hell. [Roll Eyes]

Get that plank out of your eye, fuckwit.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

But there is also this:

quote:
And there are, certainly, among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), those who believe in God and in that which has been revealed to you, and in that which has been revealed to them, humbling themselves before God. They do not sell the Verses of God for a little price, for them is a reward with their Lord. Surely, God is Swift in account. [Quran 3:199]

And do not dispute with the followers of the Book except by what is best, except those of them who act unjustly, and say: We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you, and our God and your God is One, and to Him do we submit. [Quran 29:46]

Verily! Those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians, whoever believes in God and the Last Day and do righteous good deeds shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve . [Quran 2:62]

Say (O Muhammad ): "O people of the Scripture : Come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but God, and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides God. [Quran 3:64]

I usually roll my eyes when atheists quote Scripture out of context and apart from the overall context, I do the same when Christians do the same with the Quran.

[ 07. March 2012, 13:01: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016