homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "Easter Sunday? Stay home, lie in, have sex, eat chocs" sez vicar (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "Easter Sunday? Stay home, lie in, have sex, eat chocs" sez vicar
cor ad cor loquitur
Shipmate
# 11816

- Posted      Profile for cor ad cor loquitur   Email cor ad cor loquitur   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A vicar from Hove has been widely quoted in the newspapers as saying, about Easter Sunday:
quote:
For Christians this is the most important day of the year. All life and all hope flows from it.

But there are plenty of ways to celebrate without coming to a draughty Victorian building. So why not stay at home, have a lie in, have sex and eat some chocolate.

According to this later article, his Easter Sunday congregation was about 300, 100 more than usual.

I think Easter Sunday is a good day to follow his advice ... though that's after a long vigil the previous night. After Lent and Holy Week, it seems a perfect time for some relaxation, and one more Mass seems superfluous.

I suspect many clergy feel the same way, but this one spoke up.

Do you agree?

Posts: 1332 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good reverse psychology - if people don't come to church when you tell them to, tell them not to! (Our congo was well up this Easter, too (380)- not quite as many as Christmas (500), but not that far short.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anyuta
Shipmate
# 14692

- Posted      Profile for Anyuta   Email Anyuta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well.. we usually don't HAVE a service on Pascha (Easter) day. we have a marathon of services the night before, which generally end around 2 or 3 am. including the Sunday LIturgy... so there is no need to have another later on in the day. instead, we PARTY!!!!

(but that's next week. there are quite a few services between now and then!)

Posts: 764 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He'd get a lot more than 300 people if he said they could come to church, have sex, and eat chocolate.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tom Paine's Bones
Apprentice
# 17027

- Posted      Profile for Tom Paine's Bones   Email Tom Paine's Bones   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cor ad cor loquitur:
So why not stay at home, have a lie in, have sex and eat some chocolate.

That's what the Easter bank holiday monday is for!

--------------------
This is the 'Age of Reason'.
These are the 'Rights of Man'.

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hove, actually?

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the reminder. I went to two churches today, but forgot about my chocolate rabbit! I just now ate half of him, due to this thread. (Eating the whole in one day would be tummy ache!)
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Vicar spoke much truth.

There is, I believe, a great danger of worshippers becoming service attending automatons. After a gruelling Lent - and it is meant to test us - the joy of the Resurrection comes as unimaginable. It was unimaginable over 2000 years ago when I believe it actually happened. Karl Barth said Christianity stood or fell by this glorious mystery.

There is, to me, no need to do anything more to 'celebrate' this momentous event than inwardly realise that the world has changed. Irrevocably.

If people want to go to church on Easter Sunday that's fine with me. But I'm not sure it's necessary.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
cor ad cor loquitur
Shipmate
# 11816

- Posted      Profile for cor ad cor loquitur   Email cor ad cor loquitur   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir P, I think you are right. St John Chrysostom, not known for laxity, would agree with you. Excerpts from his Easter sermon:
quote:
Are there any weary with fasting? Let them now receive their wages! If any have toiled from the first hour, let them receive their due reward; if any have come after the third hour, let him with gratitude join in the Feast! And he that arrived after the sixth hour, let him not doubt; for he too shall sustain no loss. And if any delayed until the ninth hour, let him not hesitate; but let him come too. And he who arrived only at the eleventh hour, let him not be afraid by reason of his delay.

Let us all enter into the joy of the Lord! First and last alike receive your reward; rich and poor, rejoice together! Sober and slothful, celebrate the day!

You that have kept the fast, and you that have not, rejoice today for the Table is richly laden! Feast royally on it, the calf is a fatted one. Let no one go away hungry. Partake, all, of the cup of faith. Enjoy all the riches of His goodness!

Let no one mourn that he has fallen again and again; for forgiveness has risen from the grave.

He is risen indeed!

--------------------
Quam vos veritatem interpretationis, hanc eruditi κακοζηλίαν nuncupant … si ad verbum interpretor, absurde resonant. (St Jerome, Ep. 57 to Pammachius)

Posts: 1332 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, cor ad cor loquitor, for the quote from St John Chrysostom, a real Doctor of the Church. I have always had the greatest admiration for him. He sums up what I believe far, far better than I could.

Christ indeed is risen!

--------------------
Well...

gorpo
Shipmate
# 17025

- Posted      Profile for gorpo   Email gorpo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do people actually fast during Lent, or even on Good Friday these days? It seems to me that even among regular church goers, not many people follow these rules. Of course a person who spent the whole saturday night on a vigil must be too tired to go to church on easter Sunday, but those are a tiny minority of all christians - let alone the whole population!

Easter and Christmas are those rare ocasions when people who usually don´t go to church will atend - so why miss this oportunity? For example, this morning my brother and his girlfriend went to church with us for the first time in almost 2 years, and he said the music was fine and much better then he expected, and he might consider going to church a little more often from now on.

So a vicar telling people that going to church on Easter sunday is not really important is really not the most wise thing to say. Dates like Christmas and Easter already have very little to do with christianity these days - so it isn´t necessary that clergymen make an effort to de-christianize those dates even more!

Posts: 247 | From: Brazil | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Vicar from Hove: But there are plenty of ways to celebrate without coming to a draughty Victorian building. So why not stay at home, have a lie in, have sex and eat some chocolate.
Darn! I forgot about the sex.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

You must be very lonely, Le Roc, as, I suspect gorpo is, but in a quite different way. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Well...

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going to church can be entertaining - and instead of the usual Bank Holiday Monday drag to a National Trust property, why not go to church on the Sunday and kill two birds with one stone?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today is a normal working day were I am.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anybody worship God anymore? Find God worth worshiping, even? On the one day in the year that is dedicated to the greatest event in our faith, isn't it worth worshiping God?

What a sad thing we are become.

Yes, gorpo, there are people who fast for Lent. They're called Orthodox.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
[QBthere are people who fast for Lent. They're called Orthodox. [/QB]

I think you'll find that not only the Orthodox fast for Lent - formally and informally.

Hence the sodding indigestion when the Easter feasting begins... [Eek!]

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gorpo:
Do people actually fast during Lent, or even on Good Friday these days?

Yes, and I'm Anglican.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gorpo:
Easter and Christmas are those rare occasions when people who usually don´t go to church will attend - so why miss this opportunity? For example, this morning my brother and his girlfriend went to church with us for the first time in almost 2 years, and he said the music was fine and much better then he expected, and he might consider going to church a little more often from now on.

So a vicar telling people that going to church on Easter Sunday is not really important is really not the most wise thing to say. Dates like Christmas and Easter already have very little to do with christianity these days - so it isn´t necessary that clergymen make an effort to de-christianize those dates even more!

I agree with you about us all going to church on Easter Sunday - to celebrate and honour God very much, in having the Bible reading and the rejoicing/celebrating/honouring hymns. And it must feel happy for us, as we may many of us feel painful and sad about Jesus being very painfully killed.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twangist
Shipmate
# 16208

- Posted      Profile for Twangist   Author's homepage   Email Twangist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to vaugely remember that the no of Easter Sunday Communicants was one of the factors taken into account when calculating the Parish Quota ..... it's a cunning ruse to keep the no of jumble sales to a minimum surely [Biased]

I'm with Coq and Sir P on the St John C front - If only we had an ecclesiastical time machine to hear him preach!!

--------------------
JJ
SDG
blog

Posts: 604 | From: Devon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
JJSchmidt
Shipmate
# 16864

- Posted      Profile for JJSchmidt   Email JJSchmidt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is quite a right-on church. Hosted Peter Tatchell, that well-known Christian (shome mishtake shurely?), on 'Equal Love' a couple of weeks ago.

sermons

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AberVicar:
quote:
there are people who fast for Lent. They're called Orthodox.

I think you'll find that not only the Orthodox fast for Lent - formally and informally.

Hence the sodding indigestion when the Easter feasting begins... [Eek!]

Well said; I overspoke. And the indigestion is as nothing to the constipation.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JJSchmidt:
It is quite a right-on church. Hosted Peter Tatchell, that well-known Christian (shome mishtake shurely?), on 'Equal Love' a couple of weeks ago.

And if they get regular congregations of 200 they must be pretty nearly the largest Anglican church in Brighton. Or in Hove, actually.

Best comment was on one of those links above. Bloke wrote, more or less:

"I took the vicar's advice and stayed at home and had chocolate and sex. My wife was furious when she got home from church and found out".

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
"I took the vicar's advice and stayed at home and had chocolate and sex. My wife was furious when she got home from church and found out".

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stay at home Easter morning and have sex instead of going to church ? Hmmmm.
He is risen.......err, no he hasn't, better go to church after all.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My, if you've wearied yourself so much with Lent that you can't go celebrate the hell-shattering glory of the Resurrection, well, I just don't know...

For me, I can think of no better way to celebrate than to get with the family of God, consider deeply the wonder, draw in the biggest chestful of air I can manage, and with full voice sing "Christ the Lord is risen today! Hallelujah!"

If I'm not one vocal chord from completely hoarse when we're done, or if the guy if front of me is still wearing his toupee, I haven't done it right!

Sex & chocolates are good and right, and our enjoyment thereof pleasing to God in their place, but for me, it's time to celebrate and worship the wonderful God we serve.

The Lord is Risen indeed! Hallelujah!

Blessings,

Tom

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read the comments as the vicar trying to combat the idea that going to church on Easter was a dry, stuffy, once-a-year duty, something you rolled the kidlets into their confining dresses and suits, waded the gauntlet of relatives and cheek-pinching old ladies for, then suffered through the same routine you went through last year, all for the sake of That's What You Must Do. If you're going to be miserable about it, why bother?

Now, the fact that said preacher told his congregants to spend the day sleeping and fucking if they wanted—and got a congregation of 300—tells us something. I'm going with that "something" being that there are 300 people who think, perhaps rightly, going to church on Easter morning is better than getting it on, but you may draw your own conclusions.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
Now, the fact that said preacher told his congregants to spend the day sleeping and fucking if they wanted—and got a congregation of 300—tells us something. I'm going with that "something" being that there are 300 people who think, perhaps rightly, going to church on Easter morning is better than getting it on, but you may draw your own conclusions.

I'd say it shows they know the value of worship better than he does.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:

I'm going with that "something" being that there are 300 people who think, perhaps rightly, going to church on Easter morning is better than getting it on, but you may draw your own conclusions.

Is this where we insert a "Frozen Chosen" joke and imply they showed up hoping for instructions on precisely one went about having this sex they keep hearing about?

(p.s. Gorpo, Jesus did say a little something about not running around telling everyone you're fasting [cf. Mateus 6:16-18], so even if you don't see people fasting, don't mean they aren't.)

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Today is a normal working day were I am.

I think you are perfectly normal Le Roc.

Where-ever you are on any normal working day.
[Smile]

--------------------
Well...

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does anybody worship God anymore? Find God worth worshiping, even? On the one day in the year that is dedicated to the greatest event in our faith, isn't it worth worshiping God?

What a sad thing we are become.

Often reading some of these threads the answer seems to be clearly 'no' - even for many Christians. We go if it's worth our while, if we're going to be entertained and engaged and not having our precious time wasted by listening to sermons that don't personally 'do' anything for us, singing hymns that don't suit our needs, and speaking liturgy that's full of other people's prayers - so obviously not up to our standard - though communion is sometimes worth the hassle of getting out of bed for apparently. If it's the kind of bread, wine, style, language, timing, etc that we would prefer. Obviously. In perfect accordance with Jesus' instructions to his disciples when he said, 'do this in remembrance of me... but only if you feel like it and it doesn't put you out too much.'

Because all these things are about us and how we feel and whether it's worthy of us as consumers, having paid for the product with the currency of our valuable attention and time. Worship as God's worthiness of our effort to share fellowship and publicly witness to him?

Don't be silly, Mousethief! [Biased]

Ref: OP, nothing much wrong with it, in one sense. But I don't see why we can't worship at church and do all those other interesting things as well*. (Well, the things that actually are an option!)

(*When I say 'as well', I don't mean actually go to church and do all those other things, at the same time!)

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mary Marriott
Apprentice
# 16938

- Posted      Profile for Mary Marriott   Email Mary Marriott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'But there are plenty of ways to celebrate without coming to a draughty Victorian building. So why not stay at home, have a lie in, have sex and eat some chocolate.'

NOW he tells us ! [Biased]

--------------------
'We have to be ready to move forward' she said. 'Maybe this is not how we are meant to be for ever.' (Mina in Skellig)

Posts: 32 | From: the half way house | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Ref: OP, nothing much wrong with it, in one sense. But I don't see why we can't worship at church and do all those other interesting things as well*. (Well, the things that actually are an option!)

(*When I say 'as well', I don't mean actually go to church and do all those other things, at the same time!)

Whew. Glad you cleared that up.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Worship as God's worthiness of our effort to share fellowship and publicly witness to him?

I think I agree with what Anselmina is saying. I haven't read the link, but what struck me was the
individualism implied for thanksgiving: we go to church to be with other people, and this was totally ignored.

And there's lots of people who do not have the possibility of a sexual partner. Now that's exclusive of him.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But there are plenty of ways to celebrate without coming to a draughty Victorian building. So why not stay at home, have a lie in, have sex and eat some chocolate.
I love the assumption that EVERYONE has someone to have sex with, or even the ability to have sex. Or thinks a lie in is a novelty because they actually have something to do Monday to Friday. Or has a home they enjoy spending time in. Or a home at all. I could be being unfair, but the vicar comes across as a bit of a twat to be honest.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uh-huh. And how would said vicar feel if his friends and family took to the same attitude to a significant event in HIS life story? Yeah, we know it's your birthday, graduation, wedding, retirement, heck, funeral - but we decided we'd rather have a lie in.

[ 10. April 2012, 10:30: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
savedbyhim01
Apprentice
# 17035

- Posted      Profile for savedbyhim01   Author's homepage   Email savedbyhim01   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is just a weird thing to say. I suspect he said that to try to get attention and maybe get more people to come to his congregation. But if I was a normal goer there, I would choose a different church after hearing him say that. No that any of those things are wrong (provided you are married), but it seems to represent a very casual attitude towards Christ's resurrection.

--------------------
Matthew 28:18-20
My Inductive Bible Study Notes

Posts: 31 | From: China | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by savedbyhim01:
That is just a weird thing to say. I suspect he said that to try to get attention and maybe get more people to come to his congregation. But if I was a normal goer there, I would choose a different church after hearing him say that. No that any of those things are wrong (provided you are married), but it seems to represent a very casual attitude towards Christ's resurrection.

[Paranoid] So, I'm only allowed to stay home, have a lie-in and eat chocolate if I'm married?

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That is just a weird thing to say. I suspect he said that to try to get attention and maybe get more people to come to his congregation.

In one of the articles I read, the vicar said it was just a throwaway comment amongst lots of other things he said, but of the course the press (being the press) chose that one thing to pick up on.

At least it gave everyone a laugh this Easter.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
In one of the articles I read, the vicar said it was just a throwaway comment amongst lots of other things he said, but of the course the press (being the press) chose that one thing to pick up on.

ISTM that there are two ways to read the vicar's remark -- that every time he opens his moouth, idiocy comes out, and the press just happened to latch on to this random bit of inanity; or that he said a lot of boring crap and one thing that was of any interest whatsoever, and those silly reporters chose to print the thing that had some chance of being read. Either way, the "explanation" seems to be a bit dodgy...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:

ISTM that there are two ways to read the vicar's remark -- that every time he opens his moouth, idiocy comes out, and the press just happened to latch on to this random bit of inanity; or that he said a lot of boring crap and one thing that was of any interest whatsoever, and those silly reporters chose to print the thing that had some chance of being read. Either way, the "explanation" seems to be a bit dodgy...
Or alternatively, he said many thoughtful, considered things about faith in the modern world, but they don't sell papers. If you could turn it into a "mad vicar" story, on the other hand...

Not saying that this is what happened, but it's disturbingly common in general, so I find it odd that you wouldn't even consider the possibility.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just seen the link was from The Daily Mail well known for its considered and rounded commentary. Gumby may possibly be right.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I won't pry and ask Mousethief to confirm, but I've heard that some Orthodox couples fast from sex during Lent. Which means that after the marathon Paschal vigil and the partying that follows, are they then going to go and get it on?

They'd certainly need stamina, even after they've managed to exercise the necessary consensual self-control during the fasting period.

@Twangist - you want to hear St John Chryostom? Attend an Orthodox Easter Vigil and you'll hear the famous Easter homily. They read it every time. I'm not sure if they tire of hiring it. I've heard it a few times at Orthodox Vigils and I don't ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And that, kids, is why the Bible cautions you about throwing pearls amongst swine.

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
@Twangist - you want to hear St John Chryostom? Attend an Orthodox Easter Vigil and you'll hear the famous Easter homily.

Or you could wander over to my Episcopalian shack of choice in Oregon, we get it every Easter Vigil, also.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool ... I can't think of many Anglican churches where you'd get it over here ... but I might be wrong.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I won't pry and ask Mousethief to confirm, but I've heard that some Orthodox couples fast from sex during Lent.

Some do.

quote:
Which means that after the marathon Paschal vigil and the partying that follows, are they then going to go and get it on?
Probably not right away. By the time Pascha is over, you're totally exhausted and in no mood to do anything but sleep.

quote:
@Twangist - you want to hear St John Chryostom? Attend an Orthodox Easter Vigil and you'll hear the famous Easter homily. They read it every time. I'm not sure if they tire of hiring it. I've heard it a few times at Orthodox Vigils and I don't ...
Nor of hearing it. But hey we only hear it once a year. Because of its structure with repetition and parallelism, I have made a handy flowchart of the sermon, which is poised to roll Pascha morning at 1:01 a.m. Seattle time. I would love to hear someone who is adept in the traditional preaching style of black American churches (similar to the phrasing of Martin Luther King's speeches) do it with gusto. Man.

--------------------

Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No that any of those things are wrong (provided you are married)...

and that the chocolate's Fairtrade, I think he should have qualified that too...

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
quote:
No that any of those things are wrong (provided you are married)...

and that the chocolate's Fairtrade, I think he should have qualified that too...
And the bed you are lying in has been ethically sourced.

quote:
Not saying that this is what happened, but it's disturbingly common in general, so I find it odd that you wouldn't even consider the possibility.

The fact that its disturbingly common suggests that he should have engaged his brain before speaking.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

@Mousethief. I'd love to hear that too. I expect it's been done. I'm surprised one of these guys hasn't recorded it and issued it on a CD. I'd buy it.

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

quote:
Originally posted by Mary Marriott:
'But there are plenty of ways to celebrate without coming to a draughty Victorian building. So why not stay at home, have a lie in, have sex and eat some chocolate.'

NOW he tells us ! [Biased]

Some of us do appear to be a bit slower than others in fully taking up this 'New Theology'.
[Killing me]

Perhaps we should all metaphorically join hands and together send out a silent prayer for those physically impeded from doing either?

--------------------
Well...

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016