homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Voice

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Voice
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought to post this in Heaven.

Then decided that Hell is more appropriate.

Eventually ended up here. BBC has been running The Voice programme. I suppose it is meant to choose someone whose Voice is outstanding.

It should be called The Scream or The Shout. Or, even better, The Noise.

Can any shipmate justify this exorbitant waste of money?

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No more easily than I could justify 90% of the stuff they spend my licence fee on.

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it bothers you so much, change the channel.

As to the expense, network TV exists to sell stuff, so the fact that enough people watch the show to make it worthwhile for advertisers to pay for commercials justifies the expense.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

As to the expense, network TV exists to sell stuff, so the fact that enough people watch the show to make it worthwhile for advertisers to pay for commercials justifies the expense.

[pedant mode] It's on the BBC, so there's no advertising. [/pedant mode]

I guess it's part of Lord Reith's "Inform, educate entertain" - this is one of the BBC's ways of trying to do the latter. It's not my cup of tea, either (and I hate the way on all these singing contests, most of the contenders insist on murdering songs by singing 15 notes in place of one, and shouting them all... but I'm getting all hellish). But I guess the BBC isn't there just to put on the programmes I'd like, which is probably just as well. The Voice has been doing well in the ratings and, while I accept ratings can't be everything for the BBC, I guess they're still a factor.

I once heard a good analogy of people's attitudes to the BBC (think it was Phil Jupitus, the DJ and comedian who said this). He said that most people see the BBC as being like a taxi, something that's there just for their needs and wants, solely to take them where they want to go; so when it puts on programmes they don't like, they feel entitled to complain. In fact, he reckoned, the BBC is more like a bus, in that it has to go to a whole range of destinations and take people to a whole bunch of different places. These will often be wildly contradictory: there'll be some people who only want to see the "inform" and "educate" stuff; there'll be others who just want to be entertained and want that to come from the BBC. The Beeb has, somehow, to find ways to meet all their needs, get them all where they want to go.

I actually think it does this quite well - not perfectly, but as well as it probably could given the incredibly competing demands and resources it has.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
If it bothers you so much, change the channel.

This particular show is on the BBC, so is paid for via the license fee, and there is no advertising, or product placement permitted on the BBC. The BBC comes in for a lot of stick as to what it spends the license fee on.....

Possibly x-posted with lots of other people...

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How disappointing. I thought the thread would be about this Voice.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile over on commercial carrying ITV1, a dancing dog has just won half a million pounds....

--------------------

Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:
Meanwhile over on commercial carrying ITV1, a dancing dog has just won half a million pounds....

yes, I was going to start a thread on that. All the talent we have in Britain, and the country votes a dancing dog to perform before the Queen. This country's full of crap.

[ 12. May 2012, 21:03: Message edited by: Hairy Biker ]

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah. "The Voice" is on network TV in the U.S.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ruth W might be interested to know that everyone is forced to pay for a BBC license fee in this country.

And we pay for such unadulterated rubbish.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just another x-factor/BGT/pop idol type show; I watch telly so rarely, I have to RTFM to figger out how to turn the damn thing on - I was persuaded by a friend to watch some of this - there was someone called Ruth Brown (I think) who, by herself, had a very impressive lung-capacity. The head-to-head duet things seemed a ridiculous shouting match, as the OP opines. And the only *judge* I could recognise was Tom Jones.

Oh! for the days of genuine manufactured bands

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Saturday night. Why are you watching this trash?

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
It's Saturday night. Why are you watching this trash?

I'm not - I am levelling up my heroes/avatars on War of Legends [Razz]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a fan of the voice, I think it has identified more talent that some of the Cowell rivals. Yes it is a bit gimmicky, but a lot of the contestants can actually sing, and it is pleasurable to hear them. Most of the time.

Personally, I am all for identifying new real talent. And I think the talent is way above the freak show norm.

If you don't like it, go to the pub for the evening, and challenge your friends on the Karaoke machine.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can most of the contestants sing? Probably. Do they actually sing? Not so sure. I think it's so ironic that, in a supposed attempt to inject passion into their performances, they completely sever any emotional link to the audience with these absurd and self-indulgent screeching vocal gymnastics. It might be clever, but it's not communication.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is this thread intended to be about?

Is it:
  • Is the License Fee the best way to fund the BBC? (possibly not but please demonstrate the alternative is better before dismantling the current system)
  • I don't like that my taxes are spent on things I personally wouldn't choose to spend money on? (welcome to the modern world. Make sure you pass on your feelings to your MP and vote accordingly)
  • Given that the BBC is state-funded shouldn't it provide only programming that commercial channels won't? (definitely worth discussing, especially when brand loyalty to channels is arguably a thing of the past)
  • I personally don't like The Voice and therefore I don't understand how anyone else can. (should've gone with your second thought and posted in Hell)

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by shamwari:

quote:
Ruth W might be interested to know that everyone is forced to pay for a BBC license fee in this country.
Funny, I don't recall anyone being forced to have a tv. You only need a licence (note, in UK at least, 'c' in the noun, 's' in the verb) if you have a tv.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's true, but if you don't have a TV, you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to prove it. The TV Licensing authorities refuse to believe that anyone can possibly live without one. A friend of mine felt as though he was being treated like a criminal with the number of threatening letters he received.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I've heard that too, Spike.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This.

We're screwed and the world should end.

AtB, Pyx_e.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure about justifying the expense, since if we start that argument, where will it end up? Can we justifying the money spent on Homeland? I don't know, I just enjoy it.

Ditto with the Voice. I enjoy it a lot, and there are some good voices on it actually, although I think some of the coaching actually is a hindrance at times!

Miles better than the X-factor, since it has got rid of the humiliation factor, and the hopeless cases.

As others have said, change channel, go for a walk, read a book, write a book, etc.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:

This.

AtB, Pyx_e.

Has either of you actually seen the act?
Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
quote:
quote:

This.

AtB, Pyx_e.

Yes - I saw all the acts.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a clip in case you are interested.

Re: The Voice. It's certainly a better constructed show than X factor. But I think the choice of songs is too 'shouty' like you say.

Too many tears from the 'coaches' for my liking!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife called me in to watch the Welsh Male Voice Choir, they were beaten by a dog.

The Parousia will not be televised.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

However, on BBC there is the Young Musician of the Year. Three young people who really do have talent played 30 minutes of classical music. The winner got ... £2,000 and a trophy. (And you didn't have to wait through a commercial break to find out who had won.)

--------------------
Damien Hirst

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Around 8 million people are watching the Voice - so probably, for money spent per viewer it does a reasonably good job. Probably more than some of the stuff on BBC 4 or BBC 2 that is educational.

As has been said, the Beeb is there for everyone. If you don't like something, don't watch it. I reckon that over the year I get my moneys worth from them. Their website, Radio coverage on their own are almost worth it I'd say...

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
quote:
quote:

This.

AtB, Pyx_e.

Yes - I saw all the acts.
So what is screwed up about this?
I thought it was quite an achievement; training a dog like that is a lot of work, and it wasn't only the dog that danced.
This was genuinely different and deserved to win just as much as the 2 singing acts that made it into the final three.

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful. Another "Get off my lawn, ya d@#$ kids!" thread.
Oh right, I don't have to read this.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
quote:

Around 8 million people are watching the Voice - so probably, for money spent per viewer it does a reasonably good job. Probably more than some of the stuff on BBC 4 or BBC 2 that is educational.

As has been said, the Beeb is there for everyone. If you don't like something, don't watch it. I reckon that over the year I get my moneys worth from them. Their website, Radio coverage on their own are almost worth it I'd say...

Tom

You'll get a similar argument from me here in Australia with the ABC. The only difference is that the ABC is funded by taxes rather than a license fee which covers some of their services and not others, so content other than broadcast media has not had to go down the commercial track like the BBC.

The ABC costs every taxpayer in Australia 10.6¢ per day, which gets you a can of an Atlanta-based beverage about once every two weeks.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
That's true, but if you don't have a TV, you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to prove it. The TV Licensing authorities refuse to believe that anyone can possibly live without one. A friend of mine felt as though he was being treated like a criminal with the number of threatening letters he received.

As someone who has never had a TV license, this isn't my experience. The TVLA send you a note after you tell them you don't have a TV thanking you for informing them and saying that they may try to send an agent round to check. I've absolutely no evidence that they ever do send agents round.

On the other hand I know someone who decided the best policy was not to talk to the TVLA. Now they got quite a lot of letters. And most of the websites that give examples of the TVLA being snotty are suggesting being discourteous to them whenever they send letters.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, another thought here.

I don't know the exact specifics of how the UK version of The Voice works in terms of IP ownership, so this is all speculation. I wonder whether the BBC made a calculated decision to buy the rights for a UK version of The Voice based on the cost being offset by revenue they could bring in from selling it to other networks around the world for broadcast, and even possible royalties from CD and download sales as well.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
On the other hand I know someone who decided the best policy was not to talk to the TVLA. Now they got quite a lot of letters. And most of the websites that give examples of the TVLA being snotty are suggesting being discourteous to them whenever they send letters.

I don't have a licence and I don't talk to the TVLA. The letters they send aren't just snotty, they are written in a deliberately misleading way to suggest court proceedings are imminent when they are not.

The last one I got included the line 'we want to make sure you have all the information you need before a court appearance is set. You may take this into court with you.' Now in fact if you read down towards the bottom of the page it becomes obvious that no court proceedings have been initiated and this is just another boilerplate bluff. It is this deceptiveness I find despicable.

Now I could stop these letters by telling them I don't have a licence, but I don't see why I should invite some stranger into my home to go poking round to see if I've got a telly or not - regardless of whether they're actually likely to come. Any more than I would want Aldi coming round to make sure I've got receipts for all my groceries.

ETA: the other issue is that the TVLA don't seem to have any mechanism for checking whether a home is occupied or not. When they sent the mock 'court summons' letter, for all they knew I could have just moved in.

[ 14. May 2012, 14:17: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016