homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Things that ought to make a comeback. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Things that ought to make a comeback.
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you ever wish we still did some of the things we used to do? Or still wore some of the things we used to wear? Are there any things you miss from your childhood, or were popular when you were young and wish it was popular again? Anything from the past you think would make the present day more pleasant and less dull?

Capes! I want people to wear capes again. Why should they be just for superheroes and little boys who think they're Superman and jump off the garage roof? They're so practical, and stylish, why did we stop wearing them? I want capes to make a comeback.

What would would you like to make a comeback?

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Writing letters. Nobody does that any more - even emails seem to be dying out in favour of Facebook status reports or texts, and a fountain pen is some kind of novelty.
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still write letters, because I like them better than emails. I doodle in my letters and include cards and pressed flowers and things.

Having just bought a 1933 Singer crank-handle sewing machine, it's the best thing ever and we should all go back to them. It's almost cured my sore back, and I've only used it for a couple of days.

Also, can we revert to video tapes? They load immediately and don't lose their place.

Cattyish, 20th Cenntury Girl.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Writing letters. Nobody does that any more - even emails seem to be dying out in favour of Facebook status reports or texts, and a fountain pen is some kind of novelty.

I second that, and not only because I'm a postman.

Calling vicars "Parson"s, and not calling them "Rev. Smith" (or whatever their surname is), because, however common it is nowadays, it's wrong. If you want to be formal, it's "Rev. Mr (or Miss, Mrs or Ms, nowadays) Smith", but less formally, just "Mr (Mrs, Miss, Ms) Smith" is perfectly acceptable, as is "Parson Smith".

--------------------
Hold to Christ, and for the rest, be totally uncommitted.
Herbert Butterfield.

Posts: 439 | From: Hemel Hempstead, Herts | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still write letters, because I like them better than emails. I doodle in my letters and include cards and pressed flowers and things.

Having just bought a 1933 Singer crank-handle sewing machine, it's the best thing ever and we should all go back to them. It's almost cured my sore back, and I've only used it for a couple of days.

Also, can we revert to video tapes? They load immediately and don't lose their place.

Cattyish, 20th Cenntury Girl.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being able to smoke in at least some pubs, and other indoor public places. I don't object to some restrictions, but the blanket ban goes too far, and the latest nonsense of banning the display of tobacco products is just mean-spirited and stupid.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just one other thing: old-fashioned politeness and courtesy.

(That might be two actually, but never mind.)

[ 20. May 2012, 20:51: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

British Rail. Actually, everything that's been privatised since TBW's time should be re-nationalised, but most urgently, the railways, the most disastrous privatisation of all.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Proper swingparks, with all the uber-dangerous equipment like witches hats, swingboats, see-saws and 'cheese-cutters'. With concrete surfaces. How did so many of us survive? Were the weird park-keepers of our childhood the 'groomers' of today? I think some of them were, so we'll do without them.

The most dangerous things kids get in playgrounds now are needles and dog turds. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's actually not a bad thing that fountain pens have gone a bit by the wayside—it means that people like me who use them get noticed for it. Believe it or not, it's actually not hard to find places—and not just on the Internet!—where you can buy very, very good used and new fountain pens at a reasonable price.

That said, I would like proper men's hats to make a bit more of a comeback so I don't look quite so strange in my porkpie. Yes, I realize that fedoras and flat caps are a bit in vogue, but, let's be honest: most people, especially those under 40, who wear either look horrible in them. A good hat, one chosen because it works well with your face and head, and not just because every other hipster has one, is a Very Good Thing Indeed.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
Capes! I want people to wear capes again. Why should they be just for superheroes and little boys who think they're Superman and jump off the garage roof? They're so practical, and stylish, why did we stop wearing them? I want capes to make a comeback.

I love capes! I have several that I wear throughout the winter (or what passes for winter in central Arizona!).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trousers with cuffs...

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let us add showing respoect to seniors
addressing clegyfolk by title and not their Christian name , unless asled to
a sense of reverance in church , not the chat fest I see in many places
O.K. but I can hope can I not ? [Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hula hoops, snobs (that's what we called them in Nottingham I think they may have different names in other parts of England) street cricket, carts made from two sets of old pram wheels, whip and top, BBC radio Children's Hour, allotments freely available, Robin starch, Dandelion and Burdock....

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
Originally posted by Edith:
carts made from two sets of old pram wheels,

"Trashers", we called them in Stockport 50-odd years ago when I were nobbut a lad.
Never heard of "snobs". What were they?

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:

addressing clegyfolk by title and not their Christian name ,

Yes, but with the proviso that it should be the correct title - see my earlier post.

Revolting students. Modern students never seem to demonstrate about anything but their loans, the selfish little yuppy-puppies. Back in my day, they spent half their time demonstrating or holding sit-ins on issues that mattered, such as the Vietnam war. Where are the student demos and sit-ins against Iraq and Afghanistan?

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Calling clergy 'Parson', British Rail, some smoking pubs, properly revolting students- Steve H, you are a man after my own heart!

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snobs are a set of five clay cubes painted in different colours. It was played mostly by dextrous girls. There are many rounds with each player having to successfully complete the movements before progressing to next round. As far as I remember they were: onesys twosys, threesys foursys, laying eggs, Jack's tower, spider, and some more that I can't remember now. I haven't seen it played for years, it kept us happily occupied for hours.

--------------------
Edith

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

...never mind, please.

AtB, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve H:
British Rail.

Stuff that - bring back the Big Four [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rag & Bone men with a horse & cart and a bell!

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Childrens Hour on the wireless. The Home Service, not Radio 4.

We had TV as children, but when we came home from school, the first thing we did was turn the Radio on for Childrens Hour. If I had to choose, Jennings or William would be my favourites.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
British Rail.

Stuff that - bring back the Big Four [Big Grin]
The Big Four? Is post-1922 Geddesite heresy! Is outrage!

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Calling clergy 'Parson', British Rail, some smoking pubs, properly revolting students- Steve H, you are a man after my own heart!

I'm delighted to hear it! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
Snobs are a set of five clay cubes painted in different colours. It was played mostly by dextrous girls. There are many rounds with each player having to successfully complete the movements before progressing to next round. As far as I remember they were: onesys twosys, threesys foursys, laying eggs, Jack's tower, spider, and some more that I can't remember now. I haven't seen it played for years, it kept us happily occupied for hours.

Well, you learn summat new every day!

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

The proper spoken form of years. Until 1999, we said them as two two-digit numbers, e.g. "Nineteen ninety-nine", but since 2000, we've (well, you've - I never have) been saying them the same way as the ordinary number, e.g. "Two thousand and twelve", which is two syllables longer than "twenty-twelve", as well as inviting confusion with the number as opposed to the year. Why? It made sense in "two thousand", which is shorter than "twenty hundred", but we should've gone back to the usual system in twenty oh-one.

[ 21. May 2012, 10:49: Message edited by: Steve H ]

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:

...never mind, please.

AtB, Pyx_e

It's bad manners to correct a person's manners in public. (Yes, I know I'm doing it as well, but I'm an ill-mannered boor.)

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What to bring back? Proper crusty bread sold in ordinary shops instead of all this damp moist pap that's taken over. And decent wholemeal bread in ordinary shops. Actually we didn't have that when I was a kid either. It seemed to come in in the 1970s and go out oin the 1990s. I can buy lovely bread in shops now, but either I have to go to posh organcy places and pay four times as much, or else go to Greek and Turkish shops. Not that I have a problem with that, its yet another excuse to ignore Sainsbury's and Tesco's.

quote:
Being able to smoke in at least some pubs...

If you seek ye shall find.

quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:

m. A good hat, one chosen because it works well with your face and head...

If you are worried about what a hat looks like you aren't doing it right! They have three purposes, jkeeping the sun of your head, keeping the rain of your head, and keeping your head warm. Which is why they are good Things.

quote:
Where are the student demos and sit-ins against Iraq and Afghanistan?

We had quite a lot of them in London. Huge ones.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Banana seat bicycles.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The proper spoken form of years.

Round here, we've been using the proper spoken form since twenty ten.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Independent shops instead of mega-chain stores that are exactly the same wherever you go.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Banana seat bicycles.

Great if you have a banana seat arse. Saddles are personal things, not fashion accessories.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well, you learn summat new every day!
It is Jacks but played with bits of clay instead of Jacks. Although that article says snobs is another name for them. As someone who was not normally dextrous yet could play this pretty well, it seems to me require persistence as much as dexterity. I would play by myself for hours at this, the result being I was generally on par with my more dextrous friends who did not put in the extra time.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Banana seat bicycles.

Great if you have a banana seat arse. Saddles are personal things, not fashion accessories.
Crickey.

Has someone had a bad day?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Banana seat bicycles.

Crickey.

Has someone had a bad day?

I spent Saturday lifting staging and erecting a recalcitrant gazebo (from the remains of three other gazebo's I think). Right now I appreciate comfort and I reckon it's especially valuable on a bike, where there are too many possibilities for discomfort.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That said, I would like proper men's hats to make a bit more of a comeback so I don't look quite so strange in my porkpie. Yes, I realize that fedoras and flat caps are a bit in vogue, but, let's be honest: most people, especially those under 40, who wear either look horrible in them. A good hat, one chosen because it works well with your face and head, and not just because every other hipster has one, is a Very Good Thing Indeed.

Yep! On both men and women. My newest is a diamond crown porkpie. Ignore ken's comment, he is obviously a philistine.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forming queues for buses and entering the bus in queue order.
I believe this used to be a legal requirement. Nowadays it's more often a rugby scrum and devil take the hindmost.

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

quote:

A good hat, one chosen because it works well with your face and head...

If you are worried about what a hat looks like you aren't doing it right! They have three purposes, jkeeping the sun of your head, keeping the rain of your head, and keeping your head warm. Which is why they are good Things.
I have hair for those three things. A hat is a Statement—it is hattitude. Plus, my silver straw porkpie is horrible at keeping my head warm—which, dare I say it, is why I got it. Anyone who would wear a headwarmer in 100º heat probably deserves what's coming to them.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Edith and Jengie, you are speaking of what we called fivestones, usually played with those coloured clay things but sometimes with pebbles.

Do children still play cat's cradle?

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:

It was a mythical, historical thing to learn when I was a child - and that was the 80s.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:

quote:

A good hat, one chosen because it works well with your face and head...

I have hair for those three things. A hat is a Statement—it is hattitude. Plus, my silver straw porkpie is horrible at keeping my head warm—which, dare I say it, is why I got it. Anyone who would wear a headwarmer in 100º heat probably deserves what's coming to them.
Lucky you. I don't have much hair on top so a means of keepng the sun off is as welcome as a means of keeping the heat in.

That's where a Panama does a good job, although you need to dress decently to do it credit, while you can wear a flat cap with almost anything.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:

It was a mythical, historical thing to learn when I was a child - and that was the 80s.
I loved cat's cradle as a child (I was a child of the 80's)

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

Avils, yes they do, and very skilful they are as well.

--------------------
Edith

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I wish they'd bring back the imperial measurement system and coinage. Never mind the euro, I'd like the shilling back, and I want it to be worth something.

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:

...never mind, please.

AtB, Pyx_e

I just wanted to thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
$2.50 per gallon gasoline. [Tear]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

quote:
quote:
Where are the student demos and sit-ins against Iraq and Afghanistan?

We had quite a lot of them in London. Huge ones.
Yes, but not particularly student-led, unlike the big demos of the 60s and 70s. I went on the huge anti-Iraq-war demo in February 2003 (that's twenty-oh-three), but it was mainly older people, and not obvious student types, nor the usual demo types.

--------------------
Herbert Butterfield.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who does or doesn't go on demos and whether or not they're in higher or further education is just a wee bittie tangential to this thread.

Firenze
Hosting in sheepdog mode

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wearing hats in church. (women)

They still do in a lot of the black churches in America, and I suppose the British royals wear hats to church, but I'm talking in general. In my Episcopal church there's not a hat to be seen, not even on Easter.

It's a shame, I love hats, they are pretty, feminine and a great fashion statement.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bathing suits that cover 100% of a woman's buttocks, rather than the string bikini which covers at most 10% of same.
Especially when lining up at the concession stand on the beach to buy an ice cream cone, and not all that anxious to see a sea of moon pies before my poor eyes.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cabooses on trains, Brach's Royals candy in the shiny wrappers, and Reynolds plastic wrap. (Well, looks like the candies are available on line, but that's not the same as from a glass fronted bin in a department store. And the wrappers are different.)
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016