homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1499!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1499!
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes, you can't beat a bit of medieval music, can you?

Tunes like...

Stephanian Anarchy in the UK

What did your distant ancestors boogie to, in between avoiding marrying Henry VIII and not getting the Black Death? Extra kudos for appropriate bands to go with the songs...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hmm... Spain's Armada Da Vida, Baby!

doncha know that they'll always get through.....

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Henry VIII: Boleynian Rhapsody, appropriately enough by Queen.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A chart topper from Blondie...

Bubonic

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take a rest from the dance floor and feel nauseous to:

There's No One Quite Like Cranmer

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Sorry, couldn't resist...

All the way from Stratford-upon-Avon, it's...

Shakespeare's Sister and she'll be singing You're History

AG

--------------------

East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ever-popular:

Earls Just Wanna Have Fun

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by East Price Road:

There's No One Quite Like Cranmer

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Sticking with the Reformation:

Calvin, baby, light my fire

Sorry - that was in really bad taste ... [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fidei Defensor
Shipmate
# 17105

- Posted      Profile for Fidei Defensor   Email Fidei Defensor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Columbus' Big Band playing The Zwingli's the Thingli.

--------------------
Das ist gewisslich wahr!

Posts: 103 | From: -27.28985,152.838769 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To the tune of Rebel Yell...

When the hatchet fell,
There was no more More.

[ 09. May 2012, 23:34: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Fidei Defensor:
... The Zwingli's the Thingli.

Or a spot of Bach from the Zwingli Singers.

PS Welcome aboard, FD! [Smile]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Let' not forget the Long Parliament's backing band, the Crumhorny Crumhorns.

Stetson - respect for that one!

AG

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following on from the above, and presuming therefore that the 17th century isn't too recent for this thread, we have Oliver's Army, performed as a duet by New Model Army and The Levellers

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fidei Defensor
Shipmate
# 17105

- Posted      Profile for Fidei Defensor   Email Fidei Defensor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lady Gagaragon singing Bad Romance

--------------------
Das ist gewisslich wahr!

East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

I'm Henery the Eighth I Am and D.I.V.O.R.C.E by Eddie (Tenpole) Tudor.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

(Catherine) Howard Things in Glocca Morra

--------------------

Fidei Defensor
Shipmate
# 17105

Robert the Bruce Springsteen singing Love of the Common People

--------------------
Das ist gewisslich wahr!

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:

Or perhaps Actually, I AM Henry the Eighth, I am"?

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Fans of 1390s T-shirt bands will no doubt remember Kingmaker

AG
(massacring the chronology, but hey!)

--------------------

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Machiavelli Much – by The Scaffold

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While the saga of Elizabeth and Mary (and indeed the other Mary) gives us both Killer Queen and Killed Queen

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hands Up (Give Me Your Heartland) - by Ottoman

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
... Kingmaker ...

Presumably sung by Dionne Warwick ...

I'll get my coat.

[ 12. May 2012, 00:57: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:

Or perhaps Actually, I AM Henry the Eighth, I am"?

AG

Or the Number 1 hit of 1485, "I'm Henery the Seventh, I Am."

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve H
Shipmate
# 17102

- Posted      Profile for Steve H   Email Steve H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about the album 'Never mind the buboes' by the Sex Halberds?

--------------------
Hold to Christ, and for the rest, be totally uncommitted.
Herbert Butterfield.

Posts: 439 | From: Hemel Hempstead, Herts | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Who could forget the Australian hit Walsingham Matilda?

--------------------

Fidei Defensor
Shipmate
# 17105

Who indeed. Or the slightly later Tyburn Kangaroo down, Sport.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

The Empress Maud won't come into the garden

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

From the depths of my memory I've dredged the fact that Kingmaker really did release a song called Queen Jane. How apt that it was a 9-day wonder...

AG

[ 16. May 2012, 12:36: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016