homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Speaking the truth in love (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Speaking the truth in love
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne has done his bit for the gay marriage debate, by mailing 80,000 letters to parishioners.

I haven't seen the letters, but a newspaper report says the letter states that the church cannot ignore its responsibility "to speak the truth in love", and that "we all have a responsibility to follow that design" of sexuality given to humans by God.

Hmm.. excuse me? How is this loving? How is this even speaking the truth?

Because I can never understand, given that the church accepts that being homosexual is not a choice, that 'the truth' then becomes that the only sexuality given by God is heterosexuality. How can I have a responsibility to follow a design that I wasn't designed to follow?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've now found a link to the text of the letter (pdf format).

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably his way of trying to persuade people that he is still a nice guy.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what happens if homosexuals were given their design of sexuality by God also?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the letter:

"Such a re-definition will undermine rather than support marriage"

"If we do that, we deny our humanity."

"Much is at stake for the common good in this debate"

"Our Australian society will flourish only if the true meaning of marriage is preserved"

None of that is true. If Australia allows gay Australians to marry, there is absolutely no reason to think that their society will therefore cease to flourish, that the common good will suffer, that straight Australians will cease to marry or divorce more readily, or that they will cease to think of themselves or others as human (for fuck's sake!).

The bishop is not speaking the truth. He is, at best, speaking propaganda in love. He can claim no scriptural mandate for that.

Is he speaking ‘in love'? Possibly, he can, without dishonesty, claim to be loving in the sense of willing the good of gay people. He probably does genuinely thing that violating Catholic sexual ethics is personally harmful to those who do it, and that it would be better for them if they did not. He probably also thinks that breaking a sworn commitment is a bad thing, best avoided. He therefore thinks that it would be best if gay people did not ‘marry', and put themselves in a position where both keeping or breaking the commitment would harm them.

But I doubt very much that love motivated that letter. A bishop whose consuming passion was the welfare of the gay people in his diocese would craft a very different letter to this one. A letter written from love (as opposed to one that is arguable consistent with love), would be full of compassion and sensitivity, acknowledging the very onerous burden that Catholic morality places on non-straights, offering support and affirmation, and gently and humbly advising against marriage. It would certainly not see gay marriage as something to be stopped at all costs, with threatened dire consequences for any society that enacts it.

The bishop is concerned about the threat to Catholic moral authority. That doesn't make him an utter villain - I'm sure that he does honestly think that Catholic moral authority is a good thing - but it's a very different motivation to that of love. Love would never make him accuse the egalitarians of threatening society, the common good, and the essence of humanity. It is wounded pride that leads to that sort of thing, not love.

"Speak the truth in love" is a hard saying for those who love, and fear to offend. It is obeyed by those who speak up for someone else's benefit, when they would rather stay silent. Is there any level of charity which could read that letter and be persuaded to believe that this bishop would really rather not have said anything, and that silence would have been the easiest course for him to take, but that the depths of his compassion would not let him take it? Certainly not a level of charity that I possess. I'll believe that he felt enough compassion to temper what he wanted to say in what he thought was moderate language, but that is not speaking the truth in love.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canadian experience would indicate that he is wrong on fact, but that doesn't mean he can't express his (wrong) opinion. What that expression does to the reputation of his church is then out of his control.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shocking waste of trees. OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's not speaking the truth and he's certainly not speaking in love.

I hope every recipient of this letter writes back to let him know just how deep his folly and lack of love is.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
So what happens if homosexuals were given their design of sexuality by God also?

Exactly. That's the bit that doesn't make sense to me. The unstated premise that we weren't, despite the fact that the church appears to now accept that homosexual inclinations are innate and can't be changed. How do you marry that (pun intended) with talking about The Design as if there's only one of them?

It seems very much to me as if homosexuals are being ordered to break their design to follow another one. It's like declaring that VHS tapes are good and holy (because they work so superbly well in VHS players), so therefore all Betamax machines must promise only to play VHS tapes.

[ 03. April 2012, 00:37: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously, this chap is expressing the religious truth as he sees it; it's not an objective matter, since religion itself is hardly objective. Noone's is compelled to agree with him, and I suppose many Catholics don't. Some will already have left Catholicism behind due to issues like this.

One might (cynically?) say that the 'truth in love' argument disguises the church's more urgent concern. If gay marriage is seen as a sign of ongoing secularisation in Australia then the Catholic hierarchy is unlikely to be overjoyed about it. Their strategy is apparently to try to shield their members from this influence. As for other denominations that talk publicly of welcoming the change, in love, perhaps they privately take the view that there's no point in trying to stand against the inevitable, and that they would only lose favour and support by doing so.

In other words, while love may be involved, I'm sure that these institutions are taking more strategic factors into account!

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Interesting that you bring up secularisation, because the Bureau of Statistics published new data on marriages last week. Religious marriages were down to just 30% of the total in 2010. That means 70% of people are getting married by a civil celebrant. In 1990, twenty years earlier, religious marriages were still a majority at 58%.

It also indicated that the vast majority of people were living together before getting married - 79%. Also that people were getting married later, I would expect the two are connected.

I think the secularisation has already happened.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Obviously, this chap is expressing the religious truth as he sees it;

I doubt that he is.

Firstly, because in talking about ‘the common good' and society ‘flourishing' he is alluding to more than religious doctrine. It isn't good enough, that is, it isn't loving, to argue against someone's right to be married on the basis of fanciful social consequences. If you are going to campaign vigorously support a political position that directly impacts on someone's life in so fundamentally personal a way, because of what it might do to society, you owe it to them to take certain minimal steps to discover if what you imagine might be the case actually is. Having an ill-thought out and poorly evidenced opinion is one thing - legislating for someone else's family life on the basis of it is quite another.

Now I suspect that if the bishop had any real evidence of society suffering because of gay marriage, he'd have mentioned it. He doesn't. He makes no reference at all to any society that has tried the experiment.

I don't think he's consciously lying about Bad Things happening. I just don't think his research into what those bad things might be has extended any further than the pages of the Catechism. And I think that if he were really motivated by love, he would have put more effort into asking "just how bad are we talking here, really?" because he would not have wanted to restrict the freedom of gay people any more than a mature and well-informed conception of ‘the common good' might justify.

Secondly, I doubt very much that the line about gay marriage "denying our humanity" is the truth as he sees it. It is so palpably nonsense that I would be astonished to hear anyone other than a frothing homophobe defend it in any terms that could conceivably bear the rhetorical and emotional weight of such an odious phrase.

I suspect that if called upon to justify this outrageous slur, he'd respond in measured terms about how we are only truly human when we live the life intended for us by our Creator, and that any sin which falls short of that perfection in a sense denies our full humanity. Which is, I suppose, just about enough to prevent the sentence being an out-and-out fib, but is ludicrously inadequate to make it appropriate to use such language against a historically persecuted minority in a political campaign directed against them. It is not any truer than gay sex denies humanity than it is that pride, envy, anger, sloth, avarice, gluttony, and lust do, so the use of this language of hostility against that specific sin is morally untrue, even if there is a pathetic justification for the words themselves. The words are not there to make a nuanced theological point - they are there as rhetoric to condemn.

It's propaganda. What I think reason and charity require, in this case, is to assume in the bishop's favour, that he thinks that is cause is right, that he judges his means to be lawful, and that he is not conscious of having deliberately lied or sought to offend.

This falls short of ‘speaking the truth in love'. Could anyone sensibly contend that the bishop wrote that letter with his heart on fire with compassion for gay people, and his mind set on saying nothing that was not scruplously true, was motivated only by love, and which went no further than was strictly necessary*? Can you imagine a man writing a letter in such a spirit, reading back to himself the ‘denial of humanity' line, asking himself "do I really need to say that?", and deciding that yes, actually, he did? Inconceivable.

(*before anyone makes the obvious point, I am not claiming to have composed this or any other post in such a saintly spirit, either, but if I did have the size-of-turnips brass balls necessary to try to justify an attack on people as being my duty to ‘speak the truth in love' I would make damned sure I'd at least made an effort to get there)

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eliab and orfeo

quote:

It's propaganda.

Well, I agree with you on that point! It's propaganda on behalf of his church, which he probably believes will be undermined by further sexual liberalisation. Sexual liberalisation undermines the church to the extent that it creates a dilemma for ordinary Christians: they either follow the drift of the wider society, or the dictates of their church teachings. Many have decided to balance their loyalties on the contraception issue, for example, while others leave the church entirely to avoid living in a state of loyal disobedience.

quote:

I think the secularisation has already happened.

To an extent. But one might see it as an ongoing process. As such, it's not correct to say that gay marriage is irrelevant to society; it's relevant by being part of a liberalising continuum, even though it only has a direct application to a tiny proportion of gay people. (I presume that the numbers involved will be fairly small in Australia, but I don't know what the precise issues are in that country.)

I suppose one might say that having accepted divorce, one might as well accept gay marriage. From a legal position, I would agree. But theologically, the RCC hasn't really accepted divorce, has it? As an institution, it's consistent with itself by disapproving of both of these changes, whereas some denominations have probably tried to tolerate one but remain unwilling as regards the other. This is inconsistent.

I don't think the RCC (clergy or laity) should demand that a secular society follow its theological dictates re gay marriage. That makes no sense. But I imagine that this letter, while making reference to decisions to be taken by the state, is really about focusing Catholic minds on the authority of their church. After all, the letter wasn't sent to everyone who might have a view on the matter, but only to Catholics.

Aelred of Rievaulx
Shipmate
# 16860

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Rievaulx   Email Aelred of Rievaulx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's simple.
He's a cunt.

--------------------
In friendship are joined honor and charm, truth and joy, sweetness and good-will, affection and action. And all these take their beginning from Christ, advance through Christ, and are perfected in Christ.

Posts: 136 | From: English Midlands | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
I suppose one might say that having accepted divorce, one might as well accept gay marriage. From a legal position, I would agree. But theologically, the RCC hasn't really accepted divorce, has it? As an institution, it's consistent with itself by disapproving of both of these changes, whereas some denominations have probably tried to tolerate one but remain unwilling as regards the other. This is inconsistent.

I don't think the RCC (clergy or laity) should demand that a secular society follow its theological dictates re gay marriage. That makes no sense. But I imagine that this letter, while making reference to decisions to be taken by the state, is really about focusing Catholic minds on the authority of their church. After all, the letter wasn't sent to everyone who might have a view on the matter, but only to Catholics. [/QB]

The problem with this is that he's not sending the letter to settle a theological argument within the RCC. He's sending it to mobilise the troops in the political, secular debate about amending the Marriage Act.

What you're 'imagining' the letter is doing has no basis in reality on the ground. What the letter is in fact doing is precisely what you've just said the church shouldn't do.

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aelred of Rievaulx:
It's simple.
He's a cunt.

Not so. He lacks depth and warmth.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
I suspect that if called upon to justify this outrageous slur, he'd respond in measured terms about how we are only truly human when we live the life intended for us by our Creator, and that any sin which falls short of that perfection in a sense denies our full humanity. Which is, I suppose, just about enough to prevent the sentence being an out-and-out fib, but is ludicrously inadequate to make it appropriate to use such language against a historically persecuted minority in a political campaign directed against them. It is not any truer than gay sex denies humanity than it is that pride, envy, anger, sloth, avarice, gluttony, and lust do, so the use of this language of hostility against that specific sin is morally untrue, even if there is a pathetic justification for the words themselves. The words are not there to make a nuanced theological point - they are there as rhetoric to condemn.

The language of something or other making us 'truly human' is one of my great hates with regard to the modern church. Our vicar, with all his liberal credentials, uses it a lot to back up various behaviours. I used to dislike it because it comes across as a bit sick-bucket sentimental, but now I see its implications as rather worse than that. 'Truly' is, in effect, being used as a synonym for 'fully' and if the Church is claiming that some behaviours make us truly/fully human it is by implication also making the statement that those people who are not displaying those favoured behaviours are not truly/fully human.

As far as I am concerned the only thing that makes us truly human is the fact that we are members of the species Homo sapiens. Within that there are no distinctions as to the degree that we are human. You would have hoped the history of the 20th century would have warned people off any idea of dividing the human race into those who are fully human and those who are not. [Mad]
quote:
What I think reason and charity require, in this case, is to assume in the bishop's favour, that he thinks that is cause is right, that he judges his means to be lawful, and that he is not conscious of having deliberately lied or sought to offend.
Alternatively we could just call him a bigot - 'speaking the truth in love', of course.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
quote:
Originally posted by Aelred of Rievaulx:
It's simple.
He's a cunt.

Not so. He lacks depth and warmth.
[Killing me]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
[The Bishop is] not sending the letter to settle a theological argument within the RCC. He's sending it to mobilise the troops in the political, secular debate about amending the Marriage Act.

What you're 'imagining' the letter is doing has no basis in reality on the ground. What the letter is in fact doing is precisely what you've just said the church shouldn't do.

I suppose the issue here is whether religious people in a secular society should express their views on legal matters that also have a bearing on their theological position. The problem is that, in people's mind, there is occasionally a connection between the two.

Some denominations completely withdraw from political participation, and their members don't even vote. They fully accept the division between their own beliefs and the aims and goals of secular power. With their history of political power and influence, it can't be easy for Catholics to take that line.

Still, according to that letter, the authorities are inviting all people, presumably including religious people, to make their views known on a website, so it's not as if Catholics are pushing their views onto a government that has absolutely no interest in them.

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I suppose the issue here is whether religious people in a secular society should express their views on legal matters that also have a bearing on their theological position. The problem is that, in people's mind, there is occasionally a connection between the two.

Some denominations completely withdraw from political participation, and their members don't even vote. They fully accept the division between their own beliefs and the aims and goals of secular power. With their history of political power and influence, it can't be easy for Catholics to take that line.

Still, according to that letter, the authorities are inviting all people, presumably including religious people, to make their views known on a website, so it's not as if Catholics are pushing their views onto a government that has absolutely no interest in them.

No. The problem isn't that the Bishop is speaking his mind based on his ethical beliefs and his reasoning. I speak mine based on my ethical beliefs and my reasoning. The problem is the content of those beliefs and the complete lack of reasoning. He's perverting the meaning of the word love, claiming what he claims is loving. He's lying, claiming that orfeo (and others) was designed to follow a model he literally wasn't.

The problem isn't that he's a bishop. Bishops are allowed to speak, the same as everyone else. And not everyone reasons the same way. The problem is that he's a homophobe, a liar, and more full of shit than a used colostomy bag.

Religious people are free to say what they want. He's allowed to call gay people objectively disordered. And I'm allowed to call him a homophobic bigot with a perverted definition of love because that is what he has shown himself to be.

It is precisely the same freedom that allows him to speak that allows me to. Or do you think that the religious should be exempt from criticism when their beliefs are objectively wrong, unloving, and hateful simply because those are their beliefs? In which case what you want isn't free speech for the religious - it's free speech only for the religious and their beliefs.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Justinian

I'm not offended by people speaking their mind. I wouldn't be having the discussion if I were!

Catholicism has a certain authoritarian approach to the church, and is particularly demanding when it comes to sexual morality (unless certain priests choose to turn a blind eye). For these two reasons, perhaps it's not the best kind of church to be part of if one prefers an inclusive approach.

As for a lack reasoning, as I said in another post, if sexual liberation goes hand in hand with secularisation, then from the perspective of the RCC, it's probably better to stand against it, if possible. But if the church ever decides that this stance is hopeless then it'll probably become more accepting.

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sexual liberation only goes hand in hand with secularisation because the Church thinks it does. I invite you to think of all the supposedly celibate priests over the last 1000 years who have happily (or maybe not, I dunno) had it off with their housekeeper or each other.

They weren't married, they frequently cast off the women and offspring into destitution, and they usually found another substitute pretty quickly. Spectacular family values...

So if the church can live with that, albeit surreptitiously, why hasn't it had a more pastoral and inclusive response to the increasing liberalisation of our attitudes to sex?

Would you like a cup of hypocrisy, Father?

I would love to live in a world where the Church had made a loving and inclusive response to change instead of battening down the hatches. EM Forster's comment in Maurice that when one lives with a big secret one loses a sense of proportion about the importance of that secret seems apt to apply to the Church in general.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
if sexual liberation goes hand in hand with secularisation, then from the perspective of the RCC, it's probably better to stand against it, if possible. But if the church ever decides that this stance is hopeless then it'll probably become more accepting.

But that can get a bit circular:

Church says if you do X, then very bad things will happen.
People do X and bad things don't happen.
Church refuses to revisit claims on X despite evidence.
Sky continues not to fall when more people do X.
Therefore people conclude that church was wrong on X and frame laws accordingly.
'Behold!' says Church, 'How X leads to secularisation!'

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
... Church says if you do X, then very bad things will happen.
People do X and bad things don't happen.
Church refuses to revisit claims on X despite evidence.
Sky continues not to fall when more people do X.
Therefore people conclude that church was wrong on X and frame laws accordingly.
'Behold!' says Church, 'How X leads to secularisation!'

But it goes on:
People notice the same thing also happened with Y and Z, e.g. Sunday shopping and birth control.
People start to think that Church probably hasn't a clue about the rest of the alphabet either.
People abandon Church in droves. SECULARIZATION!!!
OliviaG

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Louise and Olivia

Serious sociologists and historians have made connections bewteen sexual liberalisation and secularisation, so it's not merely a case of silly evangelicals putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. The best known proponent in the British case is perhaps Callum Brown, 'The Death of Christian Britain: Understanding Secularisation, 1800-2000.

Now, I realise that things may work differently in the USA (which has a very different religious culture) and in Australia.

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know Callum Brown's work - it relates to women voting with their feet when the kind of sexual freedom and work opportunities men historically were able to take forgranted became available to them, but his model depends on the core membership of churches having become heavily-dependent on women, due to a feminisation of piety, raising the question 'where were the men?' and 'when did they vote with their feet?'

You can't pin the recession of male involvement in institutional religion on sexual liberation, as options for that were always there, and catered to by the large number of prostitutes (proportionally much larger than today) which existed in Britain in times when lower class women had few options in the way of work. And the stigma and danger for men wasn't anything like that which existed for women. Men (certainly in urban settings) had easy access to extramarital sex, yet this doesn't seem to have impacted on religious attendance. So it won't wash to just point at sex without thinking about authority.

Equally if you're going to hop from women's sexual liberation to gay liberation, then you can't just cite Callum Brown. If women taking the pill and getting out of the kitchen pulled the rug out from under a church still thinking in terms of a woman's duty to be the civilising 'angel in the house' of Victorian piety, then how does gay liberation have the same effect on a predominantly-heterosexual exodus?

The clue to how Callum Brown's arguments fit in can be seen his 2007 paper Gendering Secularisation

Firstly - drawing on the work of P Summerfield, he shows that first came the sense that the religious ideology of how women should live was wrong and oppressive and only then came sexual experimentation as THE way, par excellence, to rebel against the whole package:

quote:
‘The contradiction’, Summerfield continues, ‘between this representation and the idea that the war had liberated women was resolved by the suggestion that, later in the post-war years, women would turn their backs on the domestic “cage” and demand the freedoms made available by the war.’ In this way, Summerfield has argued (with others) that there was a deferment to women’s liberation in the late 1940s and 1950s ― apparent in the fervency with which media circulated the traditional discourse on domestic ideology through all manners of outlets in the 1950s.
This deferment was critical to understanding the reaction of younger women, growing up in the 1950s and reaching their late teens and twenties in the 1960s. Whether directly or indirectly, there is a sense in which mothers thwarted one way or another in ambition in the 1940s and 1950s passed to their daughters a sense of the liberation they should now grab for themselves.

Liberation in the war was first and foremost the ability to get out of the house and to take on what were regarded as 'male jobs', (though there was also to some extent a freer sexual climate). Similarly the experience of a wider working world for women in WW1, led to advances in women's rights, but first comes the experience 'the Church is wrong on this' gained from working outside the home and seeing that the sky doesn't fall in.

British women gave the churches' ideas of things a second chance in the 50s, and many found that it stank. They then voted with their feet.

But though the underlying change was not only or all about sex - crucially it was sex that the churches singled out and decided to stake their authority on.

quote:
The battlelines were drawn by the British Christian churches over the female body in the 1950s and 1960s, making sexual liberation of women the key issue... The Church of Scotland in 1970 identified the key to the sexual revolution and the alienation of the young from the churches: ‘It is the promiscuous girl who is the real problem here.’ The Church actually understood that the ‘moral turn’ was in female permissiveness, not in men’s, and that the churches were losing their central paradigm of Christian behaviour ― the respectable and sexually-abstinent single woman.
[Italics mine - note that it's not sexual liberation per se but women's sexual liberation which Callum Brown bases his argument on, you are arguing that sexual liberation per se is the problem, so Brown doesn't help you here, those arguments do not work for GLBT issues as they don't work with his notion of feminised piety]

When you stake your authority as a teaching institution on something and it turns out to go wholly against the lived experience of the people you are trying to appeal to, it ends up convincing them that you are wrong. Hence you begin to lose your authority and start haemorrhaging membership.

Similar things happened to the Catholic Church in large swathes of Europe when it bet the farm in terms of authority against, for example, vernacular scripture and a culture of lay Bible reading. The print revolution and rise in literacy helped people to get their hands on the Bible and read it for themselves - the strand of the Reformation sometimes characterised as 'slow Reformation from below', as opposed to having it imposed on you by princely authority whether you liked it or not, but still an important factor in changes in piety.

In the case of female empowerment, expressed sexually and also in the workplace, the churches dragged their feet, which led to people finding experientially that they could do quite well without the churches, hence later reforms did not tempt large swathes of people back in.

But the key to it is the matter of authority: church tradition and scripture versus lived experience and the non-doctrinal investigation of that lived-experience by research and journalism.

Sex just happens to be one of the areas where the churches have most consistently blundered and most consistently brazened it out, thus ending up accelerating the process by which differing experience can undermine belief, but the same process works in other areas, eg. the wider role of women, demonising other religious groups, and matters of science when churches back the wrong horse eg. on creationism or medicine.

So there is no contradiction between Brown's research and the view that it is lived and scrutinised experience contradicting doctrinal claims which has undermined the church's hold on society. Olivia and I are just pointing to the abstract underlying process behind the data that Callum Brown examines.

You'd have to get the wrong end of the stick on Brown's research, to think that 'more of the same' drawing up battle-lines on issues where your claims can be falsified by lived experience in the community would be a good policy. It can produce small increases (Brown thinks it can lead to small improvements in male attendance) but ultimately it's subject to the perils of lived-experience and research not tallying with what is preached from the pulpit, and the tendency for the pulpit to lose out.

quote:
if sexual liberation goes hand in hand with secularisation, then from the perspective of the RCC, it's probably better to stand against it, if possible.

Brown's research would seem to indicate that this is a serious misdiagnosis on the part of the RCC because it was opposing sexual liberation which ended up undermining the churches authority and really caused the problem.

L.

[ 06. April 2012, 16:54: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Obviously, this chap is expressing the religious truth as he sees it; it's not an objective matter, since religion itself is hardly objective. Noone's is compelled to agree with him, and I suppose many Catholics don't. Some will already have left Catholicism behind due to issues like this.

Well, that's the problem, isn't it? He's lobbying to give his opinions the force of law in his country, which means he's arguing that people should be compelled to agree with him, under penalty of law.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

I appreciate your close knowledge of this topic! Despite our likely disagreements, it's always good to find someone who has read the same things. That's quite rare for me.

Looking at the link you included, but particularly in reading your post, the point seems to be that the churches (and here we’re talking about the RCC) lost out because they failed to incorporate women's liberation, in terms of both status and sexual behaviour:

quote:
It was opposing sexual liberation which ended up undermining the churches authority and really caused the problem.

I suppose you could say that once women had already tasted liberation society was already firmly on the secular path, and the RCC's job at that point was merely to play catch-up. This isn't a role that the RCC plays happily - it wants to be in a position of authority. But if they would have admitted the subordinacy of their new position, and thereby made themselves less relevant and less important in any case. They were consequently left between a rock and a hard place.

quote:

Equally if you're going to hop from women's sexual liberation to gay liberation, then you can't just cite Callum Brown. If women taking the pill and getting out of the kitchen pulled the rug out from under a church still thinking in terms of a woman's duty to be the civilising 'angel in the house' of Victorian piety, then how does gay liberation have the same effect on a predominantly-heterosexual exodus?

Actually, it would be interesting to know if there was also a homosexual exodus. In an earlier age of greater church authority, one would assume that a higher percentage of gay people would have been in the church. The number may have declined, not because gay people wanted to reject a Victorian stereotype that only applied to straight women, of course, but because church authority was now coming under attack more generally. Maybe there were gay people who were inspired by women's liberation, not only socially but in terms of the rejection of church control and values. You'd know more about this than I do, but different groups of oppressed people do benefit from seeing other oppressed people rise up and challenge the status quo. It doesn't matter if their grievances are different. I'm aware that this kind of cross-over has happened in other contexts.

quote:
[T]he experience of a wider working world for women in WW1, led to advances in women's rights, but first comes the experience 'the Church is wrong on this' gained from working outside the home and seeing that the sky doesn't fall in.

I wonder if all churches universally taught that women were to be confined to the home. I imagine that this must be a particularly middle class phenomenon, not applicable to churches that catered to the working classes, where women were obliged to go out to work. So perhaps it’s a problem born out of the gentrification of the churches, rather than being intrinsic to all church culture.

quote:
When you stake your authority as a teaching institution on something and it turns out to go wholly against the lived experience of the people you are trying to appeal to, it ends up convincing them that you are wrong. Hence you begin to lose your authority and start haemorrhaging membership.

In the case of female empowerment, expressed sexually and also in the workplace, the churches dragged their feet, which led to people finding experientially that they could do quite well without the churches, hence later reforms did not tempt large swathes of people back in.
[...]

Sex just happens to be one of the areas where the churches have most consistently blundered and most consistently brazened it out, thus ending up accelerating the process by which differing experience can undermine belief, but the same process works in other areas, eg. the wider role of women, demonising other religious groups, and matters of science when churches back the wrong horse eg. on creationism or medicine.

The interesting here is that you're depicting the church as intrinscally against progress. If that's how things are, then there's not much point in complaining about what the RCC might say or do about gay marriage or anything else: the RCC is inevitably behind the times, on a downward slope to extinction. Might as well let them get on with it, and the sooner the better.

One problem with this argument is that, in terms of church development in the West, it frequently seems as though the most liberal, tolerant and culturally acclimatised churches are the ones with the least ability to attract and retain members. People leave restrictive churches, but don't necessarily try to find less restrictive churches to attend (although some do, of course). The RCC has notably lost fewer members, and lost them later, than more inclusive denominations. (I see that it has also become the largest denomination in Australia.) While fewer people go to church overall, the percentage of those who attend more conservative churches increases, because they don't lose members so quickly. This undermines the argument that if only the churches are more accepting of sexual licence (be it gay or straight) then they'll begin to flourish again.

I suspect that in any case, there's little that the mainstream historical churches can do to attract the large numbers of people who simply want to make their own moral decisions without the interference of institutions or religions. Becoming more tolerant will give the churches a more friendly image, but won't make them any more attractive as centres of moral guidance. And if they lose that role, what future is there for them? I suppose they can exist as a cultural remnant, guardians of a certain heritage. This is a role that requires very few actual believers, and it certainly doesn’t require bishops who write controversial letters, about gay marriage or anything else!

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

Our Anglican bishops recently wrote a letter too. Although it's on a completely different subject, it's interesting to compare the language. (PDF)

They're not asking for a particular outcome. They're not predicting the end of civilization. They don't make outrageous claims. They don't challenge the government's authority to make the decision. They are asking that people of all faiths inform themselves, and that our government give citizens every opportunity to be heard and listened to.

To me, this letter is an example of a valuable and respectful way for the (Anglican) church to contribute to the broader democratic discourse. OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
... I suspect that in any case, there's little that the mainstream historical churches can do to attract the large numbers of people who simply want to make their own moral decisions without the interference of institutions or religions. Becoming more tolerant will give the churches a more friendly image, but won't make them any more attractive as centres of moral guidance. And if they lose that role, what future is there for them? I suppose they can exist as a cultural remnant, guardians of a certain heritage. This is a role that requires very few actual believers, and it certainly doesn’t require bishops who write controversial letters, about gay marriage or anything else!

Church isn't just a club with a particular set of rules, however; it's supposed to be a community. In addition, these days people are generally much less inclined to be "joiners". When they do, they are more likely to join a group that caters particularly to their interests, needs, age group, whatever. I also think the over-emphasis on conversions by some evangelical folk has overshadowed the on-going communal nature of Christianity. Come to the rally, say the Jesus prayer and you're set.

Church used to provide everything for a community from ice cream socials to counselling. Now people are more likely to go to a special event to meet people and to a support group for help. An analogy might be the period when US TV was dominated by the three networks, compared to today's 500-channels-plus-YouTube world.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

[Hot and Hormonal] Oops. I'd actually decided NOT to post that, thinking it too tangential. Must have hit something by accident and missed the edit time. Sorry. OliviaG

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The interesting here is that you're depicting the church as intrinscally against progress. If that's how things are, then there's not much point in complaining about what the RCC might say or do about gay marriage or anything else: the RCC is inevitably behind the times, on a downward slope to extinction. Might as well let them get on with it, and the sooner the better.

Not so much against progress as against any change at all, regardless of whether it's regarded as "progress". The basic model of the Christian tradition as I understand it is of a set of teachings/rules set out by an omniscient, omnipotent authority. Given this assumption, a church following these teachings is, by definition, right and any change is, also by definition, a bad thing. It doesn't really matter whether the new teaching is heliocentrism, women's suffrage, or gay rights. New is bad, because if it's really a change then God Himself would surely have mentioned something about it.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
... New is bad, because if it's really a change then God Himself would surely have mentioned something about it.

Or the Church had it wrong and is finally getting it right. Equally embarrassing. OliviaG
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Svitlana

I suspect that in any case, there's little that the mainstream historical churches can do to attract the large numbers of people who simply want to make their own moral decisions without the interference of institutions or religions. Becoming more tolerant will give the churches a more friendly image, but won't make them any more attractive as centres of moral guidance.

The RCC can be a centre of moral guidance for its faithful by declaring that the RCC's sacrament of marriage will continue to be a sacrament between a man and a woman. They could support that civil marriages be legalised between homosexual couples because this is a matter of social justice.

Also I'm not convinced that the RCC's moral stand is why they are holding their ground in church attendance, it's largely a result of immigration patterns, with people from eg, Poland South America and Vietnam warming the pews-at least for the 1st or 2nd generations.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually find mself taking the position that the Christian Marriage has a particular definition, including that it should be a life long indissoluable union between one man and one woman, whilst recognizing that marriages can and do fall apart. However, I do not have a problem with the State recognizing gay "civil unions" - for want of a better term - provided they grant the churches complete liberty of conscience.

The fur usually begins to fly on the fuzzy edge between a legal arrangement conveying spousal benefits between individuals, and what characterizes marriage as the church has traditionally understood it. As a church historian I have to say that the history of Church marriage is more complicated than one might suppose, and that historically speaking an awful lot of people lived in non-canonical relationships. It was only with the various Marriage Acts of the eighteenth century, the bringing together of marriage and romantic love, and various moral crusades that the modern definition of "traditional marriage" was arrived at.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by PD:
The fur usually begins to fly on the fuzzy edge between a legal arrangement conveying spousal benefits between individuals, and what characterizes marriage as the church has traditionally understood it. As a church historian I have to say that the history of Church marriage is more complicated than one might suppose, and that historically speaking an awful lot of people lived in non-canonical relationships. It was only with the various Marriage Acts of the eighteenth century, the bringing together of marriage and romantic love, and various moral crusades that the modern definition of "traditional marriage" was arrived at.

It should be noted that in the UK disagreements between the state and the church over "marriage as the church has traditionally understood it" is more or less the basis for the the entire Chruch of England, including its understanding of marriage. In short, it seems a fairly well established fact that, at least as far as England goes, having the state dictate what marriage means to the church is neither new nor some obscure, unknown bit of historical trivia.

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

quote:
Actually, it would be interesting to know if there was also a homosexual exodus. In an earlier age of greater church authority, one would assume that a higher percentage of gay people would have been in the church. The number may have declined, not because gay people wanted to reject a Victorian stereotype that only applied to straight women, of course, but because church authority was now coming under attack more generally. Maybe there were gay people who were inspired by women's liberation, not only socially but in terms of the rejection of church control and values. You'd know more about this than I do, but different groups of oppressed people do benefit from seeing other oppressed people rise up and challenge the status quo. It doesn't matter if their grievances are different. I'm aware that this kind of cross-over has happened in other contexts.

Sorry to take so long! I don't know if any historian has looked into that question, so I wouldn't be able to answer it. There were moves about decriminalisation in the 1950s and it sounds plausible that more gay people would leave as the women left and adopt similar arguments (it's interesting how many anti-gay arguments suddenly start proof-texting from Genesis using the same verses which are used against equality for women) but I haven't seen a detailed analysis.

quote:

I wonder if all churches universally taught that women were to be confined to the home. I imagine that this must be a particularly middle class phenomenon, not applicable to churches that catered to the working classes, where women were obliged to go out to work. So perhaps it’s a problem born out of the gentrification of the churches, rather than being intrinsic to all church culture.

A very interesting point, perhaps part of the answer has to do with the role of churches in upward mobility - lots of women in the pews perhaps aspired to that life, even if it was out of reach for them or at one time perhaps aspired to it for their daughters? Again I don't know enough about this subject, so this is speculation.

quote:
The interesting here is that you're depicting the church as intrinsically against progress. If that's how things are, then there's not much point in complaining about what the RCC might say or do about gay marriage or anything else: the RCC is inevitably behind the times, on a downward slope to extinction. Might as well let them get on with it, and the sooner the better.

I would argue that in churches which have a high view of scripture and tradition, that it's much harder for them not to be institutionally sexist, especially because of the way Genesis (and certain other key texts) tend to be interpreted, but there is a point in taking issue with them, even if the authorities resist change, because it helps to prevent these attitudes making gains again and encourages people who are suffering because of those attitudes to reject them.

I don't believe there's an always downward trend, I think there will always be people to whom hard-line stances on authority appeal and that those numbers can fluctuate, though it wouldn't be easy for them to command general acceptance here again. Also it's strange how official positions which seem core and unchallengeable actually do change over time - for instance the Church of Scotland's once strident anti-Catholicism as enshrined in the Westminster standards.

quote:

One problem with this argument is that, in terms of church development in the West, it frequently seems as though the most liberal, tolerant and culturally acclimatised churches are the ones with the least ability to attract and retain members. People leave restrictive churches, but don't necessarily try to find less restrictive churches to attend (although some do, of course). The RCC has notably lost fewer members, and lost them later, than more inclusive denominations. (I see that it has also become the largest denomination in Australia.) While fewer people go to church overall, the percentage of those who attend more conservative churches increases, because they don't lose members so quickly. This undermines the argument that if only the churches are more accepting of sexual licence (be it gay or straight) then they'll begin to flourish again.

I don't support that argument though. I think when authority really crumbles over an issue, back-tracking on the presenting issue doesn't usually undo the effects of a crisis of authority. The Catholic embrace of vernacular bible reading, for example, didn't suddenly roll back Protestantism in a big way. The problem with what are called liberal churches is that they are liberal only by comparison with conservative churches. They would be better described as conservative-lite because they still use the traditional forms of authority that are being rejected: scriptural interpretation and church tradition guaranteed by apostolic succession. This means that in some key issues they lag behind the wider society which has rejected those authorities.

So you often get a double-whammy effect- you have to respect authorities you mostly reject and have to compromise on deeply held beliefs because your church is dragging its heels on an authority-related issue. An attraction to certain sorts of worship and worship experience can overcome this but I don't think that niche is as easy to pitch to people as offering them certainty - accept the authority and buy the package and everything will be guaranteed to turn out well in the end.

I think there will always be a demand of some sort for this kind of authority, although ironically the goal posts will continue almost imperceptibly to move as they have done over the centuries - much of what's considered hard-line conservative today would be thought impossibly liberal, if not heretical, if you went back a few hundred years.

quote:
I suspect that in any case, there's little that the mainstream historical churches can do to attract the large numbers of people who simply want to make their own moral decisions without the interference of institutions or religions. Becoming more tolerant will give the churches a more friendly image, but won't make them any more attractive as centres of moral guidance. And if they lose that role, what future is there for them? I suppose they can exist as a cultural remnant, guardians of a certain heritage. This is a role that requires very few actual believers, and it certainly doesn’t require bishops who write controversial letters, about gay marriage or anything else!

It's hard to tell. Politics can certainly promote some kinds of religion, especially when they're tied to nationalist/anti-imperialist ideologies/matters of regional identity.

When misogynist religions are allowed to censor and to have control of schooling and sex-education/birth control, then under those conditions they can make scary demographic come-backs. Have lots of children, get them while they're young enough, isolate them from other sources of ideas, subsidise the ultra-religious and tax others to pay for them because they vote as a bloc and can hold the balance of power...

Who can tell?

cheers,
L

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:

The problem with what are called liberal churches is that they are liberal only by comparison with conservative churches. They would be better described as conservative-lite because they still use the traditional forms of authority that are being rejected: scriptural interpretation and church tradition guaranteed by apostolic succession. This means that in some key issues they lag behind the wider society which has rejected those authorities.
[...]
An attraction to certain sorts of worship and worship experience can overcome this but I don't think that niche is as easy to pitch to people as offering them certainty - accept the authority and buy the package and everything will be guaranteed to turn out well in the end.

Some people want certainties, but those who don't see rather less reason to go to church. Which makes sense, really!

The (British) Unitarians have moved to a position of extreme liberalism, but they have disappeared from public consciousness; they haven't benefitted in terms of public awareness. In fact, although the Quakers and Unitarians are the ones who have requested the right to perform religious gay marriages in the UK, I've been fascinated by their absence from the public debate! Everyone else is pitching in: gay atheists, conservative Anglican and Catholic bishops, etc. etc., but the very people who could be using this issue to gain some presumably good PR for their ultra-liberal churches are nowhere to be seen! It’s very strange.

quote:

I think there will always be a demand of some sort for this kind of authority, although ironically the goal posts will continue almost imperceptibly to move as they have done over the centuries - much of what's considered hard-line conservative today would be thought impossibly liberal, if not heretical, if you went back a few hundred years.

Theology doesn't stand still, and churches aren't isolated from the cultures that surround them. I don't see this as ironic. But a certain pragmatism will naturally be employed. Feminists once said that 'the personal is political'. Christians could say that 'the personal is theological', because how people maintain their families, nurture their marriages, raise their children, etc. all impacts on the transmission of the faith. This is one serious reason why churches are unlikely to welcome sudden radical change in this area. They will change, gradually, if the cost of not doing so seems greater than the cost of staying the same. But where society’s changing attitudes to sexual behavior seems unlikely to serve the purposes of the church, such change will probably not be happily embraced by the church. And for some people, the church may be an escape for them. Not everyone benefits from sexual liberation, and the church might become a place of refuge for such people.

quote:

When misogynist religions are allowed to censor and to have control of schooling and sex-education/birth control, then under those conditions they can make scary demographic come-backs. Have lots of children, get them while they're young enough, isolate them from other sources of ideas, subsidise the ultra-religious and tax others to pay for them because they vote as a bloc and can hold the balance of power...

Is this happening in western Christianity? Maybe in parts of the USA, but I don't see much sign of it in the UK. Non-religious parents in British culture like church schools because they appreciate the quality of the education, and perhaps because such schools are imagined to be good at instilling discipline. But these schools don't make converts, and parents don't expect their children to become devout as a result of their attendance. Children are sometimes baptised merely to gain access to a ‘good school'! And unless attendance at Sunday school is obligatory to gain access to prestigious day school children are unlikely to attend, because their parents don't see religious education as valuable in its own right. None of this implies to me that we have a religious take-over in the offing!

Large families to the ultra-religious? This works where there’s already a critical mass of ultra-religious people in a country, but in the UK and France, for example, evangelical women (and other Christian woman who’d just like a husband who shares their faith) find it harder to marry and have children than non-religious women, because there are so few suitable men for them to choose from.

(I should add that where I live, the most conservative forms of religion are most publicly represented by Muslims. I imagine that Muslim schools are far more serious about transmitting faith than the Christian ones.)

Australian Catholic bishops might be urging the laity to vote against gay marriage, but this subject wouldn't even be an issue if practising Catholics made up anywhere near the majority of the population. It's because Catholic sexual morality is becoming ever more marginal that these letters were sent. In fact, some commentators probably see the reaction of the RCC as a sign of advanced secularisation.

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

I should have said that in the latter part I was mostly musing on my reading of Israeli newspapers and the surprising extent to which Ultra Orthodox Judaism has foregrounded issues of misogyny in public life in Israel and led to a separate Haredi school system which mostly doesn't teach science (or much of anything else) and there's even been a new scandal involving the mis-use of psychiatric drugs to try and drug troubled believers into conformity. Conservative strands of Islam have gained in popularity in some countries because resistance or anti-corruption movements have coalesced around them.

Thank goodness, we're a long way from it here but I don't want to be complacent and say it could never happen - I never thought a democracy like Israel could regress in the way it has been doing because of the importance of the UltraOrthodox voting bloc, it's been an eye opener. Hence my wondering aloud about how religion can combine negatively with politics to turn back the clock. The original compromises which paved the way for the Haredi problem in Israel seemed innocuous at the time but turned out to be anything but.

I find the way things change ironic, simply because I've often had it argued to me by defenders of church tradition as an authority, that things haven't changed and their church has always taught essentially the same thing and therefore it cannot change. I basically agree with you that they will change slowly on some issues. I don't think it's predictable what churches will change on or not though, I don't think any 17th century person could have foreseen the extent to which anti-Catholicism woud be ditched by the Church of Scotland for example.

Going back to why this doesn't benefit Unitarians, I think it might also have something to do with experience of worship. I find if something wakes up and alerts the critical parts of my brain it pops me right out of any satisfying experience of worship. I can't go along with the popular conservative worship styles because they switch on too many alarm bells for me - it's like somebody suddenly pulling a trap door open under me and dumping me outside. One moment I'm caught up in the service the next moment the celebrant is giving a crass version of substitutionary atonement or we're being expected to pray or sing something offensive or ridiculous and suddenly the whole thing just seems like a nonsensical charade to me. On the other hand, the kind of scholarly questioning stuff which I find fascinating is nothing to do with worship - I might as well be at a seminar or at home reading a challenging book or conversing with a friend. So why go to church for that?

I'm very much a minority in that some traditional worship styles do still work for me, though I can't explicitly explain why. But why would people go sit in a church to be intellectually challenged these days? So even if I feel sympathetic to them, Unitarianism wouldn't attract me to a Sunday service. This is anecdotal I know, but I haven't seen this side of things well worked out or studied anywhere. What does worship do for people who no longer feel a church is where they're going to find authoritative answers as to how to live, how things are, and how things should be?

There are a lot of areas where I feel I don't have answers and can only speculate.

cheers,
L

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
I only know about the Victorian churches in Scotland. The short answer is no, the churches didn't teach that women were to be confined to the home. However, the situation was highly nuanced. From the 1840s on, in Scotland, the churches ran teacher training colleges, the first form of tertiary education available to women. Women from my own area, Aberdeenshire, who travelled down to Edinburgh to train for two years clearly weren't confined to the home. However, teaching involved children, usually young children, and so teachers operated within societal expectations of women. Most (not all!) of the female teachers employed by the Church of Scotland and Free Church of Scotland were unmarried or widowed, but the Scottish Episcopalian church preferred women who had had children themselves and employed married women. Clearly, those women weren't confined to the home.

One interesting example - when St Andrews Episcopal school needed a new head in the 1870s, it head-hunted Mrs Annie Singer, teacher at a small rural school, who was married with three children. Her husband gave up his job so that the family could all move into Aberdeen. She worked full time as her family increased to eight. Clearly, her church did not think she should be confined to her home; but she was working for the church, with children, and the classroom could have been seen as an extension of the home.

Much the same happened later when nursing became professionalised; the rhetoric was of womanly caring, even if the lived experience was of travel, independence and responsibility.

After the Disruption of 1843, the Free Church of Scotland attempted to replicate the national church status of the Church of Scotland. It was all hands to the deck; it could not have done what it did if half its members were confined to the home! Instead it expanded the boundaries for women whilst continuing to cast their role within the rhetoric of nurturing womanhood.

The question is: how did women see their role? When the first women campaigned for university admission and for the right to study medicine, some (not all!) used the argument that they were motivated by a womanly concern for the sick and needy, as befitted a good Christian woman.

Middle class women in Scotland did a huge amount outwith the home, but if they could describe it as "helping their husband" well, that's what a good wife did. Victorian church ministers wives were emphatically not confined to the home but were expected to be out and about, visiting the sick, organising committees, running bazaars, fund-raising; but so long as it fell within the ambit of "wifely support" they were effectively invisible.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

North East Quine

That's interesting. Obviously, no one would suggest that married, middle class Victorian women were expected to prioritise personal fulfilment through their careers, or to disregard the feelings of their husbands.

Today, most churches simply leave these issues for women (and their husbands) to decide for themselves. However, it could be said that the professionalisation of the middle class woman has had a difficult practical outcome for church life. A modern professional woman has to combine a stressful job with looking after the home, which means she has less time to devote to the church. And because she now receives respect and status from her paid work the status that used to come from serving the church in a responsible role may be less attractive to her.

The reduction of patriarchal attitudies in the church can't really assist with these particular issues.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To try to move back towards the OP a bit, Scottish Victorian churches didn't have an issue with lesbianism either, seeing it as an "immaturity" rather than as a "sin." Amongst the middle classes, and especially at some schools, there was a culture of teenage girls having a "pash" on another girl, or a teacher, and lesbianism was often regarded as a continuation of schoolgirl behaviour into adulthood. Most women ended up married; very few could support themselves financially. So long as a woman dressed and behaved in a suitably feminine manner, two unmarried women could enjoy what was termed a "romantic friendship" without the churches worrying unduly.

Here's an excerpt of a poem, published in 1888, in which one woman hopes that, when her friend marries, her wedding-night thoughts will not be of her husband, but of her lost female love.

..you would take with dainty finger-tips
The flowers I gave you, and for my poor sake,
Even in your bridal hour, would still heart-ache
In me for ever, with the touch of lips...

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent several years studying, discussing and reporting on the role of homosexual people in the church, and my personal conclusion was that I must be a fundamentalist: Genesis 1:31. God took a look at everything he'd made, and saw that it was good.

After I figured that out and we submitted our report, I retired from the fray and let others stir it. I haven't changed my mind, and when our younger daughter married her girlfriend last year, in a happy ceremony, attended by four generations of two very contented families, and conducted by a Presbyterian minister, I was able to look on what God had done, and saw that it was good. It's great to be a simple minded non-theologian.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stercus - that sounds brilliant! I'm glad everything worked out so well for your daughter, your family and your church.

I'm afraid I haven't run across you before, so may I offer a tardy Welcome to the Ship?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every time I hear someone say, "I'm just speaking the truth in Christian love" my brain translates the statement to "Douchebaggery for Jesus!"

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
Every time I hear someone say, "I'm just speaking the truth in Christian love" my brain translates the statement to "Douchebaggery for Jesus!"

[Overused] Am I allowed to get away with that, because I'm right out of deep and meaningful comments?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:

It's kind of the way you know that "I'm not a racist, but . . . " will inevitably be followed by something incredibly racist, or "I don't mean to offend, but . . . " is always followed by something calculated to give offense.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crœsos, it's worse than those usages, because the tag end is supposed to prevent any sensible response. Someone says "No offense, but" you can politely say "well, actually, it is offensive". But in this particular quote, which ought ot have a proper use, it can too easily mean "I'm going to say something incredibly offensive, but you can't argue because I'm speaking for God...Nya nya nya"

I'm not entirely comfortable with Spiffy's expression, but completely with the spirit behind it.

Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few times I found myself in a prayer meeting led by a retired Anglican vicar who would go through a list of prayers and then pause, sigh, and say, 'Now, in closing, let us bow our heads and pray for the gay and lesbian folk out there.'

Knowing quite well that we were in there, sitting right in front of him. What was he praying about as regards us? Why were we to pray for ourselves? What were we praying for as regards gays and lesbians?

Very hard to heckle or protest because he had a wide-eyed look of perpetual innocence that I associate with passive-aggression of the vicarly type.

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mary LA:
Very hard to heckle or protest because he had a wide-eyed look of perpetual innocence that I associate with passive-aggression of the vicarly type.

Only one way to strike back at such passive aggression-- as soon as he hits his hay-men, offer up ex tempore prayer for the plight of the poor heterosexuals in our midst.

Of course, anyone who knows me knows that I think the best way to respect the clergy is to remind them the position of savior and judge of the world is already taken, so they can get down off their cross now, we need the wood.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016