homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Six Commandments (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Six Commandments
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An interesting suggestion from a church-state case in the U.S.

quote:
Could the Ten Commandments be reduced to six, a federal judge asked Monday.

Would that neutralize the religious overtones of a commandments display that has the Giles County School Board in legal hot water?

That unorthodox suggestion was made by Judge Michael Urbanski during oral arguments over whether the display amounts to a governmental endorsement of religion, as alleged in a lawsuit filed by a student at Narrows High School.

After raising many pointed questions about whether the commandments pass legal muster, the judge referred the case to mediation - with a suggestion:

Remove the first four commandments, which are clearly religious in nature, and leave the remaining six, which make more secular commands, such as do not kill or steal.

So, a Solomonic suggestion or just rank heresy? It certainly puts the scrutiny where it belongs in these cases; whether the commandments are an endorsement of specific religious principles (no other gods, no idols, don't take the Lord's name in vain, honor the Sabbath) or general ideas about socially acceptable behavior (honor your parents, no murdering, no adultery, no stealing, no false witnessing, no coveting).

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well you don't really need to honour your parents once you're grown up. And coveting hurts no one but yourself; so what about cutting it down to 4?

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
Well you don't really need to honour your parents once you're grown up. And coveting hurts no one but yourself; so what about cutting it down to 4?

As general suggestions those might or might not work. However, they're not really related to the kind of Establishment Clause argument being considered by Judged Urbanski. There's no clause of the U.S. Constitution that relates to coveting or parent-child relations.

--------------------

PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This would be hersey .IMHO

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
This would be hersey .IMHO

Heresy? How so?

If a number of these commandments are part of a common moral basis (even if interpretations vary), surely they will appear all over the place in different forms and arrangements. There are statutes against murder all over the world, for example, but not so much covetousness or worshipping the wrong god. I assume you wouldn't consider that to be heretical, any more than quoting one (but not all) of the Ten, so why is this heresy?

I'm not sure that displaying just six commandments is an ideal solution, but it's certainly going to cause problems for anyone who wants to push for the full set, as they would have to argue explicitly for religious claims to be included. I'd be interested to see how that will be achieved without making religious arguments.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about heresy, but "bowdlerized" comes to mind. As well as "gee, somebody must be powerfully scared of something, to treat a classic text that way."

Speaking for the moment not as a Christian but as an American, we'd do better to simply omit the whole thing rather than mutilate it in such a fashion. It suggests that a) we're scared of large chunks of our own heritage, b) we haven't learned the fine art of ignoring silent items of decor we don't agree with (it's not grabbing anybody by the lapels, is it?), and c) we are bloody nitpickers. All of which may be true, but we should have the decency to hide our own shame.

And yes, I would say this if someone decided to mutilate (say) a chunk of Thoreau, even the deist/transcendentalist bits I don't agree with.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely our entire economic system would collapse if everyone took 'Thou shalt not covet' seriously?

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Calls to mind the Mel Brooks "History of the World, Part I" routine...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Within the one Holy and Apostolic Church, to reduce the 10 commandments to 6 (or 4) would most definitely be heresy - for it diminishes God and changes the very nature of religion to mere humanism. In the secular world (and liberal churches)... well that's another story... in fact another religion altogether!

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
Within the one Holy and Apostolic Church, to reduce the 10 commandments to 6 (or 4) would most definitely be heresy - for it diminishes God and changes the very nature of religion to mere humanism.

And yet, within the ranks of the Holy and Apostolic Church members, there is probably not one in ten who could take the original text and parse it into 10 commandments...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recent convert to Orthodoxy, Mark? Just guessing...

I don't really see the point of reducing the Ten to the Three That Paranoid Secularists Won't Object To. If you're going to reject them on the grounds of religion then you have to also reject their religious history as bad too, and then what would you want any of them for? A guide to good behaviour? Write a summary of the modern law in that case.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Speaking for the moment not as a Christian but as an American, we'd do better to simply omit the whole thing rather than mutilate it in such a fashion. It suggests that a) we're scared of large chunks of our own heritage, b) we haven't learned the fine art of ignoring silent items of decor we don't agree with (it's not grabbing anybody by the lapels, is it?), and c) we are bloody nitpickers.

Like most bits of "American heritage", the Ten Commandments are borrowed from someone else. On the other hand, the idea that governments shouldn't be in the business of decreeing who the One True God™ is or the proper ways to worship Him is very American.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
I don't really see the point of reducing the Ten to the Three That Paranoid Secularists Won't Object To. If you're going to reject them on the grounds of religion then you have to also reject their religious history as bad too, and then what would you want any of them for? A guide to good behaviour? Write a summary of the modern law in that case.

Uh? Paranoid Secularists? Are they also Militant, by any chance?

The point, as I see it, is that in general, people who want to justify the display of the 10Cs in public buildings (especially courtrooms) tend to claim that they're important because they're a founding moral code, or a common moral understanding, but not divisive or controversial. 1-4 pose a tricky problem in this context, as they're not reflected in legislation, and are explicitly and divisively religious. So why not drop them, if it's about a common, inclusive code?

I'm not sure that this is a particularly helpful way of approaching the question, but it forces the issue, and a lot of disingenuous arguments will be sidelined as a result. Once the issue at hand isn't the entire Decalogue but just the first four, how do you justify their place without recourse to religious arguments? I don't think you can.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
Recent convert to Orthodoxy, Mark? Just guessing...

Yes - how did you guess?

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
The point, as I see it, is that in general, people who want to justify the display of the 10Cs in public buildings (especially courtrooms) tend to claim that they're important because they're a founding moral code, or a common moral understanding, but not divisive or controversial. 1-4 pose a tricky problem in this context, as they're not reflected in legislation, and are explicitly and divisively religious. So why not drop them, if it's about a common, inclusive code?

It isn't just that they're "not reflected in legislation", enacting them as law would be blatantly contrary to the U.S. Constitution.

--------------------

PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK shipmates I withdraw heresey for how I would term a rewrite of the 10 commandments . However I would state that such a rewrite is an very bad idea . It would be a case of if I don't like what Scripture says I will ignore or omit it . That is is an error. [Votive] [Angel]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
OK shipmates I withdraw heresey for how I would term a rewrite of the 10 commandments . However I would state that such a rewrite is an very bad idea . It would be a case of if I don't like what Scripture says I will ignore or omit it . That is is an error.

Under the U.S. Constitutional system the government is more or less obligated to ignore what scripture says, isn't it?

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The following paragraph appeared in 'The War Cry', (Salvation Army newspaper) 5 January 1901, p7, col.2:

DANGERS OF THE CENTURY.

One of America's leading newspapers recently addressed the following question to many notable persons in Great Britain: "What in your opinion is the chief danger, social or political, that confronts the coming century?" The General, who was invited among others to reply to the question, sent the following:

"In answer to your enquiry, I consider that the chief dangers which confront the coming century will be religion without the Holy Ghost; Christianity without Christ; forgiveness without repentance; salvation without regeneration; politics without God; and Heaven without Hell."

The fool has said in his heart, 'there is no God.'

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is part of a "Commandments display", yes?

Then there's no need to omit anything. Simply extend the display to include pithy ethical summaries from other world faiths, or other civilisations, or whatever. Go for inclusion, not exclusion.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Adeodatus, which world faiths would you include? How do they qualify? Who decides? I like the idea (although I think it would still be unconstitutional), but the practicalities look horrendous.

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:

It isn't just that they're "not reflected in legislation", enacting them as law would be blatantly contrary to the U.S. Constitution.
Oh, indeed. But it's not unknown for people to attempt to muddy the waters when the legal position stands against them, as you know, and I've heard it said that it's important because it's the moral basis for the US legal system. Just observing that they can't claim it's even remotely uncontroversial and commonly understood while 1-4 are in place.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Urbanski is wasting his time. The Supreme Court will decide the display is constitutional. The 10 commandments, including the first four, had an impact on federal and state law. Would Judge Urbanski also like the phrase "endowed by their Creator" removed from the Declaration of Independence? I suspect he wouldn't mind the 10th Amendment being removed from the US Constitution.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Urbanski is wasting his time. The Supreme Court will decide the display is constitutional. The 10 commandments, including the first four, had an impact on federal and state law. Would Judge Urbanski also like the phrase "endowed by their Creator" removed from the Declaration of Independence? I suspect he wouldn't mind the 10th Amendment being removed from the US Constitution.

He's a judge, they're not supposed to have opinions (yes, yes, stop laughing). I think it is a novel approach to stopping the lawsuit process, though, and I approve of sending it off to mediation instead of up to the Supreme Court (who I trust about as far as I can throw 'em collectively these days, as their actions seem to imply they haven't read the Constitution in a while).

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'd hope that is not true. I can't really imagine someone like William Penn endorsing this view.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
This is part of a "Commandments display", yes?

Then there's no need to omit anything. Simply extend the display to include pithy ethical summaries from other world faiths, or other civilisations, or whatever. Go for inclusion, not exclusion.

According to the article, the Ten Commandments display was taken down, and then re-installed using your suggested multi-document strategy after a public outcry. That kind of tactic has had a mixed success in the courts, with some displays allowed and others subject to removal. It mostly hinges on the court's interpretation of the motives at work (much like distinguishing between murder, manslaughter, and accidental homicide).

From the article:

quote:
At the time, no one was clamoring for more historical documents in the schools. They were furious about the removal of the Ten Commandments, the ACLU argues, and the school board appeased the masses and violated the First Amendment with the same vote.

Urbanski noted how one board member thanked the crowd for turning out to support the commandments.

That's what usually bites these efforts in the ass; the fact that those involved are usually fairly open about their intention to use their positions within the government to promote their particular religious views.

quote:
The 10 commandments, including the first four, had an impact on federal and state law.

Could you clarify this a bit? I'm unaware of any federal law ever being passed legally mandating the worship of the One True God* or applying criminal penalties for improper worship practices.

--------------------
*Identity of One True God may vary depending on location. Offer void in Virginia and Vermont.

[ 11. May 2012, 17:51: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then, you haven't actually read what Penn wrote.

quote:
XXXV. That all persons living in this province, who confess and acknowledge the one Almighty and eternal God, to be the Creator, Upholder and Ruler of the world; and that hold themselves obliged in conscience to live peaceably and justly in civil society, shall, in no ways, be molested or prejudiced for their religious persuasion, or practice, in matters of faith and worship, nor shall they be compelled, at any time, to frequent or maintain any religious worship, place or ministry whatever.

XXXVI. That, according to the good example of the primitive Christians, and the case of the creation, every first day of the week, called the Lord's day, people shall abstain from their common daily labour, that they may the better dispose themselves to worship God according to their understandings.

XXXVII. That as a careless and corrupt administration of justice draws the wrath of God upon magistrates, so the wildness and looseness of the people provoke the indignation of God against a country: therefore, that all such offences against God, as swearing, cursing, lying, prophane talking, drunkenness, drinking of healths, obscene words, incest, sodomy, rapes, whoredom, fornication, and other uncleanness (not to be repeated) all treasons, misprisions, murders, duels, felony, seditions, maims, forcible entries, and other violences, to the persons and estates of the inhabitants within this province; all prizes, stage-plays, cards, dice, May-games, gamesters, masques, revels, bull-battings, cock-fightings, bear-battings, and the like, which excite the people to rudeness, cruelty, looseness, and irreligion, shall be respectively discouraged, and severely punished, according to the appointment of the Governor and freemen in provincial Council and General Assembly; as also all proceedings contrary to these laws, that are not here made expressly penal.

Take a look at the whole Frame of Government of Pennsylvania written by William Penn. Does it sound like the work of a man who embraced the ACLU's understanding of separation of church and state? Penn didn't believe in an established church. He also didn't believe in a secular state void of all religious influence.

--------------------

the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hehehehe I love it when people google things and randomly pick out things that back up their position without understanding them.

As you were, Beeswax Altar, I can't and won't argue with a sofa historian.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

You won't because you can't. You can't because you don't know what you are talking about. If you did, you would argue with me. You don't. So, you won't argue with me. Calling me a sofa historian is just your way of trying to save face. By the way, your attempt at saving face failed miserably.

[ 11. May 2012, 18:30: Message edited by: Beeswax Altar ]

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the ten commandments are to be posted as an historical document, shouldn't the Jewish numbering be used, which I read somewhere differs from the Protestant numbering which differs from the Catholic numbering? There being no clear distinction in the scripture with items are separate and which are two thoughts on one topic, one might best justify "it's not sectarian" by using the most historical version of the document.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, for crying out loud, just take them down already. Lamb Chopped is exactly right.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
If the ten commandments are to be posted as an historical document, shouldn't the Jewish numbering be used, which I read somewhere differs from the Protestant numbering which differs from the Catholic numbering? There being no clear distinction in the scripture with items are separate and which are two thoughts on one topic, one might best justify "it's not sectarian" by using the most historical version of the document.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the "let's be non-sectarian by favoring one sect over the rest" argument has a pretty gaping flaw in it.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the "let's be non-sectarian by favoring one sect over the rest" argument has a pretty gaping flaw in it.
Like the fact it blatantly violates the Lemon Test?

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a retarded suggestion.

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Speaking for the moment not as a Christian but as an American, we'd do better to simply omit the whole thing rather than mutilate it in such a fashion. It suggests that a) we're scared of large chunks of our own heritage, b) we haven't learned the fine art of ignoring silent items of decor we don't agree with (it's not grabbing anybody by the lapels, is it?), and c) we are bloody nitpickers.

Like most bits of "American heritage", the Ten Commandments are borrowed from someone else. On the other hand, the idea that governments shouldn't be in the business of decreeing who the One True God™ is or the proper ways to worship Him is very American.
Uh, DUH?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cutting the 10 Commandments down to 6 kind of misses the point I think. Either keep all 10 as part of a multicultural historical display or eliminate them entirely.

Personally I think since the article does seem to show that there was a religious purpose behind posting them in the first place, getting rid of the entire display is the best idea.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTM that a particular person about 2000 years ago stated that those ten commandments (along with the other 603 or whatever number) could be summed up in just TWO statements, one of which is just the basis for belief in just about every theistic religious group/sect/cult/denomination/... and the other is the basic statement of belief of every religious group/yada, yada, and of just about every nontheistic and atheistic statement of how to live in a scoiety of more than one person.

Maybe that latter statement should be put up on ALL public buildings, since it would be hard for anyone to deny it's desirability.

Of course, that would destroy the hate-monger, fear-monger, money-grubber and political classes, but even that might be desirable. The only thing left to fight over would be whether God had a part in it or not.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
If the ten commandments are to be posted as an historical document, shouldn't the Jewish numbering be used?...one might best justify "it's not sectarian" by using the most historical version of the document.

Tee hee, some local friends want ten commandments posted in government buildings and schols, but when I ask whether the Protestant, Catholic, or Jewish numbering of the commandments should be used, they look confused and change the subject. [Smile]
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
ISTM that a particular person about 2000 years ago stated that those ten commandments (along with the other 603 or whatever number) could be summed up in just TWO statements, one of which is just the basis for belief in just about every theistic religious group/sect/cult/denomination/... and the other is the basic statement of belief of every religious group/yada, yada, and of just about every nontheistic and atheistic statement of how to live in a scoiety of more than one person.

Maybe that latter statement should be put up on ALL public buildings, since it would be hard for anyone to deny it's desirability.

Of course, that would destroy the hate-monger, fear-monger, money-grubber and political classes, but even that might be desirable. The only thing left to fight over would be whether God had a part in it or not.

So, it would then be 'The One Commandment' then.

[ 12. May 2012, 08:40: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
And yet, within the ranks of the Holy and Apostolic Church members, there is probably not one in ten who could take the original text and parse it into 10 commandments...

--Tom Clune

[Killing me] I was thinking the same thing. I can list all the content of the 10Cs but can never remember where the divisions lie for Jews and Christians.

The suggestion in the OP is ludicrous. The 10Cs begin with God as the subject of all the commands. If we cut out the first 4 then we have a one actor play where we have just shot the only character.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps we ought to take atheistic humanism more seriously and look to these people as the moral authority they so unsubtly claim to be.

So let's scrap religion (as per their wise recommendation) and replace all "religious" moral codes with just one positive commandment (along the lines of "Where's Wally?"):

Thou shalt take a good long hard look at nature and see if you can spot the "ought".

I think that will do it.

No more debate needed.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remind me again: how many of the original 13 colonies were founded by people trying to get away from the established church? OliviaG
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
Remind me again: how many of the original 13 colonies were founded by people trying to get away from the established church? OliviaG

Taking a rhetorical question seriously, five out of thirteen [Razz]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The suggestion in the OP just seems silly to me. Once you pare down the Ten Commandments, they become uninteresting from any perspective, as they're just random selections from basically any law code. Why not pick out some random laws and post them?

That gets to the next silly bit. Why not just pick out random laws and post them? Because for the people who want the Ten Commandments posted, the source of those ten is what matters.

Another silly bit is that not all the "shalt not"s in the Ten Commandments are actually illegal in the US. Maybe adultery is illegal in some state or other, but in most states it's certainly not; coveting probably isn't illegal anywhere for the simple reason that it's pretty much impossible to enforce. Once someone acts on their coveting, they've generally committed another crime, such as theft. (Or adultery, which isn't a crime.)

So you get right back to the whole point of the Ten Commandments being their divine origin - and that's precisely why people who want them displayed in courts want them displayed in courts. They want to put the (presumably Christian) divine imprimatur on the civil court, and that should not be. For two reasons: First of all, that would conflate church and state, which our Constitution says we don't do. Second, it's probably heretical to put God's seal on human courts - our courts fall far short of divine justice in SO many ways. What the hell, let's go for three reasons. Our laws are created, upheld, and/or shot down in a representative consensus involving ordinary citizens, legislators, and judges. They are not handed down by divine decree. Apples and oranges, really. And if you're selling a bag of ten apples, you wouldn't put a picture of six oranges on the bag, would you.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Simply extend the display to include pithy ethical summaries from other world faiths, or other civilisations, or whatever. Go for inclusion, not exclusion.

And the last one would be attributed "21st century IT corporation - "Don't be evil" "? [Smile]

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I doubt that the judge is expressing his own opinion. Much more likely, he's throwing out a thought to refine the submissions being put to him. It's a common procedure.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

As a quick update, the Giles County School Board has voted to (once again) remove the Ten Commandments from their display.

quote:
The board voted unanimously to replace the commandments with a copy of a page from a history textbook that mentions the Ten Commandments in conjunction with American government and morality. The commandments themselves do not appear on the page; they are represented by a drawing of two tablets.

The move could prove controversial among Giles County residents who have shown up en masse at earlier meetings in support of the commandments display.

A motion approved today by the board reads: “In light of the recent controversy, and legal proceedings, and the substitution of this Roots of Democracy document in the place of the text of the Ten Commandments, this board will not approve the posting of the text of the Ten Commandments in our schools unless and until the courts provide further clarification of the law in this area.”

The dynamic at work seems to be along the lines of:

• Put up a Ten Commandments display to please fundamentalist voters
  • Take down Ten Commandments display after conference with lawyers along the lines of "you will get sued and you will lose, very expensively"
  • Re-install slightly altered Ten Commandments display after a whole bunch of angry fundies show up at school board meetings to protest removal of display
  • Lather
  • Rinse
  • Repeat

The board's actions are oscillating like this because they seem to be trapped between two contrary interests. They want to be re-elected, for which the Ten Commandments display is useful, and they want to not lose a potentially very expensive lawsuit, for which the display is a detriment.

--------------------

Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:

As general suggestions those might or might not work. However, they're not really related to the kind of Establishment Clause argument being considered by Judged Urbanski. There's no clause of the U.S. Constitution that relates to coveting or parent-child relations.
Nor does the Constitution speak to murder (unless you count the clause on burdens of proof for treason), adultery, theft or perjury.
Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As a quick update, the Giles County School Board has voted to (once again) remove the Ten Commandments from their display.

quote:
The board voted unanimously to replace the commandments with a copy of a page from a history textbook that mentions the Ten Commandments in conjunction with American government and morality. The commandments themselves do not appear on the page; they are represented by a drawing of two tablets.

The move could prove controversial among Giles County residents who have shown up en masse at earlier meetings in support of the commandments display.

A motion approved today by the board reads: “In light of the recent controversy, and legal proceedings, and the substitution of this Roots of Democracy document in the place of the text of the Ten Commandments, this board will not approve the posting of the text of the Ten Commandments in our schools unless and until the courts provide further clarification of the law in this area.”

The dynamic at work seems to be along the lines of:

• Put up a Ten Commandments display to please fundamentalist voters
  • Take down Ten Commandments display after conference with lawyers along the lines of "you will get sued and you will lose, very expensively"
  • Re-install slightly altered Ten Commandments display after a whole bunch of angry fundies show up at school board meetings to protest removal of display
  • Lather
  • Rinse
  • Repeat

The board's actions are oscillating like this because they seem to be trapped between two contrary interests. They want to be re-elected, for which the Ten Commandments display is useful, and they want to not lose a potentially very expensive lawsuit, for which the display is a detriment.

The thing that gets me about this case is that they aren't putting up the text of the Commandments, presumably - just a mock-up of two tablets with I - X on it and a page which says that the Commandments are "the basis of American law." (snort) So it's not teaching the kids what the Commandments actually say - just that they're important for some reason related to American law.

So their point is that American law is tied up with the Christian and Jewish religions in some vague *abstract* way? The entire purpose of the display is to make a big deal out of the idea, championed by politicians and area know-nothings that being Christian (or maybe Jewish) is part of being a real American.

If the school wanted to compare and contrast ancient Hebrew legal codes with modern American law, I'd have no problem with that. For instance, kids could explore that coveting is built into our economic system. But a naked appeal to religion as a patriotic duty is more problematic.

Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are even more problems with selection and translation than numbering. Maybe (I'm not sure) to someone well-versed in theology, they are non-issues. But they can have practical implications for ordinary citizens on the way to the jury box.

One translation reads "thou shalt not kill" while another reads "thou shalt do no murder." The first looks for all the world like a prohibition of capital punishment, while the second does not. It can make a difference.

What about God's extending his wrath down to the third and fourth generation? Sometimes this clause is left out or put in small print, but on whose authority? It's in there. However, a judge or juror who takes that to heart could be prejudiced against a defendant who happens to live on the wrong side of the tracks or whose parents have also been in trouble.

One of my learned friends made a convincing case (to me, anyway) that, properly understood, the Ten Commandments (originating as they did with a people fleeing tyranny and slavery) actually place valuable limits on the role of civil government. Trouble is, I doubt that many readers without the benefit of his erudition are likely to see them that way when posted in a court house.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
One of my learned friends made a convincing case (to me, anyway) that, properly understood, the Ten Commandments (originating as they did with a people fleeing tyranny and slavery) actually place valuable limits on the role of civil government. Trouble is, I doubt that many readers without the benefit of his erudition are likely to see them that way when posted in a court house.

Even if that's the case, those limits are decidedly different than (and contrary to) the limits put in place by the U.S. Constitution.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really trying to understand what sort of magick the ueber-Christians expect will happen when the Commandments are posted on public property. Because they do seem to imbue them with a kind of talismanic power.

Luther said it wasn't the job of the State to turn people into Christians. Too bad some of the children of the Reformation can't get that through their heads.

[ 06. June 2012, 01:09: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016