homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Coffee shop (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Coffee shop
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, here you are in a coffee shop where you can sit and have a cup of something, and buy some beans or blends to take home. Assuming you've entered voluntarily and are looking forward to this, what are you going to have? And it's fine if you like instant. The only criterion is that it should be some form of coffee you particularly like.

I usually tend to go for a rich, dark Continental roast (decaff), full of flavour and aroma, strong and black. But recently have discovered the pleasure of Mocha. So far the best has been one with liquid chocolate mixed into it.

crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have a flat white, please.

I don't particularly care about the bean or grind, as long as it's not too bitter. There is an art to steaming the milk (one I've never mastered - despite owning a coffee shop for years!), so the milk is as important as the coffee. That's why I like the flat white so much, it is made with warmed milk, but it is not a milky drink like the caffe latte / cafe au lait.

I'd also like a bong of your best - oops! We're not in Amsterdam, and even if we were, I'm not Dutch so I can't come in ...

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mocha, please. With lots of whipped cream on top [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have a latte please. Strongish. I like the continental blends but I'm happy with whatever's served up as long as it's not decaff. I want coffee that does it's job.

I could cope with one of those warm almond croissants too.

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Espresso please. The problem with black coffee is that it is only enjoyable with decent coffee, although at times of caffiene deficiency I'll use any darned thing, but it must be black.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Mocha, please. With lots of whipped cream on top [Big Grin]

I'll do coffee with you any time, Marv! [Cool]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Black, Large, filter or americano.

If I want a coffee flavoured beverage I will ask for one, otherwise I want coffee.

AtB, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The largest available Tim Horton's mocha latte, topped with whipped cream and chocolate swirls, to drink slowly as I munch on half a dozen Tim Horton's donuts.
I would do my regular 20K bike ride twice a day for the next two weeks to make up for the sinful over-consumption.
Honestly, I would!
[Angel]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cappuccino (perhaps with honey, but probably not), or, if it's a local place that roasts its own beans, Yirgacheffe in a French press. I'll probably also take a pound of Yirg beans home with me, if you don't mind.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite coffee place is closing [Waterworks]

Continental dark, with a slug of milk. Perhaps one of their delectable muffins.

Did I mention they were closing? [Waterworks]

My other choice will be chain store coffee.

Second Cup - bitter and expensive
Treats - bitter and cheap
Tim Hortons - bitter and very cheap.

No choice at all really. [Disappointed]

Oh well, I guess I'll save money.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Decaffeinated instant with cold milk please- only coffee I really like, though its harder and harder to find it in any coffee shop. [Frown]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends what mood I am in. I like different coffees on different days. Sometimes I like a cappuccino with the chocolate sprinkles, other times a mocha (but liquid chocolate is much nicer than powder chocolate) with cream, or maybe just an americano with cream.

--------------------
I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am going

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's before 11 o'clock, I'll have a decaff cappucino with sugar please, or after 11 a decaff cafetiere coffee, black with sugar.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Noteven
Apprentice
# 17073

- Posted      Profile for Noteven   Email Noteven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmmm... grande Turkish latte (cardamom and honey) for me, please.
Posts: 6 | From: not so deserted desert | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Black,no sugar. I don't like it bitter or strong.
My preferred type is Colombian.

I ask for an Americano when out; in Australia I eventually learnt that what I like is a weak long black.

The only instant I enjoy is Milicano. Expensive but worth it.

Oh, and in France I go for a noisette. Yum.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a sucker for peabody beans lately, particularly from Maui. crazy expensive but lovely. I also love the dark roasted arabica beans from Molokai. otherwise I'm generally a fan of a strong yirgacheffe from ethiopia. I like my roasts dark - french or espresso - so long as the roaster didn't burn them. (some french roasts go a little too far).

as for drinks - I go for black, often americano, when I'm away from my french press. sometimes I'll have a latte or macchiato if I need to get some calories in me. I can't stand sweetness in coffee - no sugar or syrups. they give a cloying aftertaste. the exception is turkish coffee.

the only way I'll have crappy drip-from-canned-coffee is if it's mixed with whiskey.

[ 28. April 2012, 20:22: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once had Ethiopean coffee. Frankincense in the cup before coffee went in, and, apparently, myrrh in the coffee. Very Wise Men. And it made me high.

But it was good.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Black, Colombian, with a decent crema. As others have said, drinking it black means the coffee must be good, and I very rarely fancy coffee with milk. If it's burnt, forget it, and please, please, please don't give me an Americano.

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
The only instant I enjoy is Milicano. Expensive but worth it.

Me too. [Big Grin] It was a beautiful day when I discovered it and realised that I could have a reasonable instant coffee when camping. Has to be strong though - two heaped spoons.

I do like good hot chocolate, and one day I will try a mocha, but I suspect it will remain separate from my coffee consumption!

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For black, I like Sumatran or Ethiopian. Real Jamaican Blue Mountain is lovely, when it can be found. And I enjoy a good Kona. A lot less picky when it is in a mocha, provided the chocolate is decent.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advantage of NZ over OZ - in the latter you cannnot get a latte bowl. Only small or sometimes tall glasses (too hot to hold) - three sips and its gone. Mwahahah.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I once had Ethiopean coffee. Frankincense in the cup before coffee went in, and, apparently, myrrh in the coffee. Very Wise Men. And it made me high.

But it was good.

You are all making me very envious. Stop it right now. I love the smell of coffee, the taste. I love how flippin cool it is. I loved the film Coffee and Cigarettes. I watched Twin Peaks and wanted some damn fine coffee with my cherry pie.

If I drink coffee, I feel like a god. For fifteen minutes, and then I get a headache that would blind a moose.

Dammit.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First choice (*waits for hoots of derision and indignation*)...... instant. Fairly traded instant. Third of a cup of hot milk, not-too-heaped spoonful of coffee, topped off with boiling water. You can see why everyone hesitates before offering to make me a coffee at work!

Second choice - a one-shot latte, please. Preferably in a proper mug rather than a glass one, but a glass one'll do fine. Not two shots, though. Honestly, where has that crept in? If I wanted my coffee to taste of coffee that much, I'd order an espresso!

I'm with Marvin on the whipped cream (I don't think I meant to say that quite the way it sounds!) .... and none of those horrible biscotti things which taste like hardboard - give me a scrummy cinnamon biscuit, preferably two.

Or better still, take me back to my favourite Austrian cafe where a cup of coffee was accompanied by a glass of water (to quench the thirst first so you can savour the coffee after it) and a little jug made of chcoolate containing the cream - less washing up!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Earwig, you can get decaff now that tastes and smells as good as regular. I don't enjoy the side-effects of caffeine either. Decaffeinated isn't always completely caffeine free, but is a lot easier to handle.

When I first asked for decaffeinated in a coffee shop some years ago I was told I could only have an Americano. It wasn't really what I wanted, as there's usually too much water in it, but it seemed to be the only option so I went with it. It was only earlier this month one of the people behind a counter somewhere else made it clear a range of different things was available in decaffeinated.

As for blends, I used to really like the Viennese with fig in the days when I bought the uncaffeinated sort. It doesn't seem to be available as any other kind, though.

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tall, non-fat, no-whip raspberry mocha.*

I actually don't like coffee that much, I just like things that are vaguely coffee flavoured and give me a reason to be in a coffee shop.

*iced if it's between April and September. Decaf if it's after 7 p.m.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a coffee flavoured beverage, latte with vanilla syrup.

For coffee flavour, espresso doppio macchiato.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No idea of the blend, but:
Freshly made filter coffee, good flavour, hot, served with a smile and with real milk (not UHT) by the cheerful ladies in the League of Friends Tea Bar at Watford General Hospital, at just 70 pence a cup.

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Black, decaf, Fair Trade if at all possible, shade-grown a bonus, not too roasty. (I'll probably spell this incorrectly, but I used to be able to buy a varietal called Yrgicheffe, from Ethiopia, that was really good -- had a bright, light taste.)

I am not all that fond of flavored coffees...if I do get a fancy coffee it will usually be a vanilla latte'. Back during the heyday of syrup-and-whipped-cream-laden coffees my fave coffeehouse used to make a delicious coffee drink called a Rocky Road mocha, in homage to the ice cream flavor; it included Ghiradelli chocolate, toasted walnut syrup and mini-marshmallows, and came topped with whipped cream and more chocolate. I'm not sure how much actual coffee was in the stuff, but it was very good. (Especially in a community where blizzards were a twice-a-week expectation during the winter months, and the winter temps rarely cracked 25 degrees Fahrenheit.)

At home, lately we've alternated between splurging on an occasional pound of spendy regional-roasted or coop coffee (Leelanau Coffee Roasting Company; Higher Grounds; Just Coffee, which I think is located in Wisconsin) and buying multiple bags of coffee at the local Amish discount grocery, which re-sells remaindered items from supermarkets. We've gotten some quite good, non-stale coffee for less than half the retail price this way -- Starbucks, Newman's Own and other premium brands.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Advantage of NZ over OZ - in the latter you cannnot get a latte bowl. Only small or sometimes tall glasses (too hot to hold) - three sips and its gone. Mwahahah.

You drank in all the wrong places Zappa. Lots of places here will do bowls.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To drink, fair trade (if possible) cappuccino made with soya milk - a real treat, and more places seem to be offering this without charging extra for either fair trade or soya milk.

To take away, Peruvian dark roast, ready ground if possible, definitely fair trade. One of decaf and one of the stuff with a punch, please.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone tried Vietnamese weasel coffee?

http://www.vietnamtravelguide.org/weasel-coffee.html

I had the opportunity of trying it a couple of years ago when I was there, but chickened out when they told me how it comes to get that name!

[Ultra confused]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't tried it, but had a memorable visit with a Vietnamese family describing it. They meant to say "fox coffee," but couldn't pronounce the S sound OR the O properly, and you can guess how it came out.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Americano with a dash of cold milk. Unless I want a change, when it's Chai Latte.

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Café Direct Medium Roast. Black, no sugar. (Just slightly more than 1 level tbsp of coffee to a 3 cup/350 ml/12 fl oz cafetière.)
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Latte macchiato please [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No coffee for me thanks - gives me severe migraine. I'll have a pot of tea, English or Irish breakfast for preference thanks.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Has anyone tried Vietnamese weasel coffee?

http://www.vietnamtravelguide.org/weasel-coffee.html

I had the opportunity of trying it a couple of years ago when I was there, but chickened out when they told me how it comes to get that name!

[Ultra confused]

Strange, I always thought Kopi Luwak was Indonesian. At any rate, it's the Indonesian restaurant in a suburban strip mall that occasionally serves the stuff when they can get their hands on it—and yes, they do know to e-mail me the instant they do. I really want to try it.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Earwig, you can get decaff now that tastes and smells as good as regular. I don't enjoy the side-effects of caffeine either. Decaffeinated isn't always completely caffeine free, but is a lot easier to handle.

Ariel, you're very kind, but let's be honest. Decaff isn't cool. [Disappointed] [Biased]
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strong, hot, freshly brewed, black, unflavored. Beyond that I don't care exactly where the beans may have come from.

And please don't call the size of the cup by some cute word such as "tall" or a non-English word such as "grande" or "veinte". If you can't understand "small", "medium" and "large" then I'll take my business elsewhere.

I'll also take my business elsewhere if I ask for a black coffee and you reply with "Cream and sugar?"

[ 01. May 2012, 16:54: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the cup is large enough to have a name its too large!

And what's the point of decaff? The drug is the thing!

Buying coffee is easy. In Greece and Turkey you just buy a coffee. Everywhere else you ask for a double espresso - and if they don't know what you mean you know to try another shop next time. [Razz]

Starbucks and the like don't sell coffee, they sell coffee-flavoured milkshakes. Perhaps that's OK for a country where adult men think it no shame to drink fizzy pop in public, but it doesn't export well. [Snigger]

[ 01. May 2012, 16:59: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
.... Decaff isn't cool. [Disappointed] [Biased]

True.

I can understand having decaff for medical reasons, and feel sorry for those afflicted. But otherwise decaff just seems pointless. If I can't have properly functioning coffee I'd rather have tea.

[ 01. May 2012, 17:05: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am generally a caffeine person, but have decaf in the evening, because I like the coffee taste, but I also need to sleep at night.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My doctor has forbidden me from drinking things with caffeine in them. But I still need that morning coffee boost, even if it's only psychological.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
My doctor has forbidden me from drinking things with caffeine in them. But I still need that morning coffee boost, even if it's only psychological.

If your psychologist says so, then do so. If they want to throw patient records at each other, it's their fight. Don't let 'em spill your medicine.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
.... Decaff isn't cool. [Disappointed] [Biased]

None of my friends have ever made me feel out of it for opting for decaff, and these days I buy mine from an independent coffee merchants, who grind the beans to your liking. This isn't a mild, mellow, girly kind of drink. This is an intense rich dark kind of coffee, best drunk strong and black and first thing in the morning to give that kickstart to the day (with this, you do get one). It's not a lot like the supermarket's own economy brand in a glass jar. The flavour and aroma are seriously good.

Most decaffeinated brands contain some element of caffeine, though much less than you find in regular coffee. I'm sufficiently caffeine-sensitive to pick it up from this, as I do from chocolate, but the doses are more manageable. I'd be quite happy if they found a way of completely decaffeinating it so I could consume more.

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would walk into a coffee shop and ask for hot chocolate. (I get nauseated just smelling coffee for some reason).

Now, JB just loves his coffee (mostly black with a touch of cream.) He is partial to Sumatran and if I find free trade I always buy it. There is a coffee shop in Los Alamos that he loves that will blend for customers and he gets adventurous with blends on occasion. (the coffee shop has great food, too!) YUM

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dont have a problem with people drinking decaf. I don't - but only because I rarely get any effect off caffeine and rarely can find any decaf that tastes okay. if there was good quality decaf, Id be happy to drink it. the drug is not the thing for me, its the flavor.

I've had good decaf that I used even for my morning cup and it was lovely. coffee wakes me up by being hot and strong.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Purest Kona coffee would be my favourite. Usually, we have hazelnut. I drink it black.

When at Starbuck's, I get espresso venti topped off with regular coffee.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rule 1 - No Starbucks, it always tastes burnt to me.

Rule 2 - Dark Roast, no wuss coffee please

Rule 3 - It has to be strong enough to levitate a hibernating Confessional Lutheran the morning after a bucket of beer night.

Other than that I am not too fussy.

PD

[ 02. May 2012, 00:45: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am finicky. Like PD, I dislike Starbucks--roast so dark it's burnt, and then not made strong enough (beans to water ratio). I will drink Peet's, though I'm not in love with it.

Luckily, here by the Bay there are a number of fantastic roasters and brewers of coffee. When I'm in the mood for something dark, I can get it, and when a lighter roast (Kenya, say) is what I want, it's easy to find. Beans from Indonesia usually hit the spot, if the roast is right.

I don't drink Americano; it's an espresso-machine kludge in the absence of brewed coffee. Blech.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to get all kinds of crap from my ex for drinking coffee wimp-style, with cream and two teaspoons of sugar. Then we saw Pulp Fiction together, and I was vindicated by The Wolf. I dare you to challenge his badassery.

(Go to 1:24)

Nowadays I like a dash of hazelnut Torani in my house drip coffee, thank you.

(Oh and if maple syrup is available, I will take that in place of sugar. Ex thought this was freakish.)

[ 02. May 2012, 03:09: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016