homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Café now testing (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Café now testing
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can try it out here using your Ship user name and password.

Note that you'll need a recent version of Sun java. If you get a message to the effect that your browser doesn't know what to do with jnlp files, you need to upgrade here.*

The first time you use the café, the software will install itself on your machine. After that it should start up much more quickly.

Tell us what you think on this thread - we plan to tweak the interface ahead of the official April 1st launch. The main thing we want to check at this point is that the server is stable.

* ... if you are running Windows or Linux. For Mac users it will either just work or just not work, and in the latter case you need to pay $$$ to Apple in order to be able to use the software that everyone else gets for free.

--------------------
French Whine

Posts: 4177 | From: Cavaillon, France | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's good. Nice clean simple interface. I'm not a huge fan of the speech bubbles thing but that's an aesthetic taste thing.

For the few minutes I was there it was stable. Quick too - the old digichat had a tendency to "pause" or be sluggish scrolling at times.

When I clicked on the Welcome button I got an empty square character instead of what I presume was supposed to be an accented e, in "Welcome to the Café", which is odd because the same character showed up fine in the chat window itself when Melon used it.

It's good to have the café back. Thanks to Melon, Gwaelod, Simon and everyone else involved.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Melon:
You can try it out here using your Ship user name and password.

Note that you'll need a recent version of Sun java. If you get a message to the effect that your browser doesn't know what to do with jnlp files, you need to upgrade here.*

The first time you use the café, the software will install itself on your machine. After that it should start up much more quickly.

Tell us what you think on this thread - we plan to tweak the interface ahead of the official April 1st launch. The main thing we want to check at this point is that the server is stable.

* ... if you are running Windows or Linux. For Mac users it will either just work or just not work, and in the latter case you need to pay $$$ to Apple in order to be able to use the software that everyone else gets for free.

Excellent - it works! Well done the team...

[ 15. March 2008, 09:56: Message edited by: amber32002 ]

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it didn't crash the whole time I was in there and the croc leather seats were very comfortable.

I like having our own avatars to take with us - that's the best feature.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come and join us now - holding up nicely.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's still up and running and working well.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Is this gonna be the case when the cafe goes live? 'cos if so...that sucks.

(The software, not Melon)

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - take it up with the leader of the Cult of Mac.

--------------------
French Whine

AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Frown] not working with Debian "iceweasel" or "iceape" versions of Firefox.

Downloaded, installed and verified Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_05-b13, but the jnlp file is still not recognised. Must be my bad somewhere.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very smooth sailing, I was subject to sudden streams of messages coming through all at once, but I presume that was just people "speaking" at the same time.

I think it is a bit much for my machine when I have everything else running in the background, mind. I will pop in again soon.

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid I'm getting nowhere too. When I register a box appears saying "Attempting connection to host" with a bar beneath it, but nothing happens after that - not even any green creeping up the bar. And on the original frame there is a little box that looks as though it wants me to tick it, but the instructions next to it are grey on blue, and I can't read them sadly.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have to load the new software on the link above first

I had to,

and then you download the cafe stuff

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sophs:
quote:

Is this gonna be the case when the cafe goes live? 'cos if so...that sucks.

(The software, not Melon)

Mine just worked, I never intentionally downloaded/bought it. I am running an old iBook G4 with Leopard.

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Working here - and lots of fun too!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine's working (Windows XP with Firefox). Love the layout. A job very well done.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

Old Mac hardware should work fine, but you need a fairly recent version of OS X - I think 10.4 is the earliest that has a recent-enough version of java. Just be glad Gwaelod didn't use any java 1.7 features, as Steve Jobs refused to ship that with Leopard...

Wanderer, that sounds like a port issue. You need to open port 25424 of your firewall for TCP traffic.

AdamPater, Firefox uses completely different file associations to the rest of Linux, for reasons that have never been clear to me. Note that our software doesn't run in the browser at all - the browser passes it over to Java Webstart, and, if you save the desktop shortcut, you can then run it without starting your browser at all.

--------------------
French Whine

AdamPater
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
AdamPater, ... if you save the desktop shortcut, you can then run it without starting your browser at all.

I don't understand. Do you mean to save the .jnlp file? I can read it with a text editor, and see that it is a lot of xml, but I have no idea what to do with it.

--------------------

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You have to load the new software on the link above first
Done that.
quote:
and then you download the cafe stuff
How?

quote:
Wanderer, that sounds like a port issue. You need to open port 25424 of your firewall for TCP traffic.
WHAT??? Can you put that more simply for a pc moron?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just been aboard the Café [Cool]

It seems really stable. I like the interface. The only thing I wasn't sure about was how to leave. Do you just quit the Café app?

I'm running a Mac G4 iBook, OS X 10.4.11 with Java version J2SE 1.5.0_13.

Brilliant work everybody. [Smile]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It appears to be working for me.

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DP to add that after I quit the Café app I relaunched Java Web Start which gave me the opportunity to create a desktop app. from the Café app 'Faverolle'. I think this option may have been offered when it first downloaded - but I didn't want to do it at that point. I have done now.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

Wanderer, the first thing to try is turning off your firewall and seeing if that makes a difference (and then turning it back on).

--------------------
French Whine

AdamPater
# 4431

There.. discovered what javaws is, and found that I can come in directly using it, or by explicitly associating .jnlp with javaws in firefox/iceweasel.

Unless I've done something silly in doing so [Help]

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
went in, but lost it.
will talk to computer nerd friend asap.
looked good though.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know what kind of Java I should download for Ubuntu Feisty Fawn?
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got in OK but no-one said hello - I don't suppose I can blame the software for that though. [Biased]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone's talking to me now. [Smile]

--------------------
i-church

Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woooohooooo! It's working fine for me. Thank you for the hard work everyone. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. [Overused]
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

Whatever you are running, the answer is "Sun Java", because none of the other versions do Java Webstart properly. I'm using Ubuntu myself, although I think I installed java manually from the Sun website rather than via adept/synaptic.

--------------------
French Whine

Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

Arrietty is talking to me. Can I blame that on the software?

--------------------
French Whine

Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

I can't see what I'm typing in your private room so it looks like the anti-Arrietty feature has kicked in.

The log says

quote:
Chat rect 4835 4835
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<speech from="a495">yeah</speech>'
Consuming speech
Bubble not null
Chat rect 4832 4832
Buffer position = 0
<speak>well a private room allows a private convo between more than two people</speak>

<speak>oh</speak>

<speak>I can't see what I'm typing now</speak>

ETA - I can't move rooms either so it looks as if I've been frozen out.

Not for the first time. [Snigger]

[ 15. March 2008, 12:45: Message edited by: Arrietty ]

--------------------
i-church

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is very cool!
I love keeping my avatar with me.
If comments are wanted: The small text is, at least on my screen, too small to read happily, even if you have quite good eyes.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
# 4431

One annoying feature is that the private conversation windows snatch focus. This interrupts one's typing very inconveniently. Some conversations need to be separated!

Otherwise great... seemed very robust and fun. It's nice to 'see' friends again.

--------------------

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Whatever you are running, the answer is "Sun Java", because none of the other versions do Java Webstart properly. I'm using Ubuntu myself, although I think I installed java manually from the Sun website rather than via adept/synaptic.

Thanks Melon. The instructions on the Sun website looked a bit complicated for me - so I went to the Ubuntu pages. Seems to be working fine so far.
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got in when I did the java download thingie
Very nicely arranged! Looks like people were doing the quick tour--or else only my avatar showed up in any rooms except the bridge!

Not being a computer geek, i can't even imagine the amount of work this took, but thank you, thank you!

[Overused]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

If you put up the list of rooms you can see the number of people in each room, and double click on the name to join them.

We've created a room and are all in there atm. [Smile]

--------------------

Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
User Acceptance Testing seems to be Looking Foolish and ready for April 1!

If there's an option for any Requests for Change - the small type option comes up too small to read on screen.

Otherwise, the window came up OK on Ubuntu with Firefox.

Well done!

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

Please do post your feedback here. I can't promise that we'll make any changes you suggest, but I can pretty much guarantee that we won't make any changes you don't suggest...

--------------------
French Whine

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Late Paul:
It's good. Nice clean simple interface. I'm not a huge fan of the speech bubbles thing but that's an aesthetic taste thing.

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Late Paul:

It's more than that - the bubbles take up so much space. I think it'll be awkward to follow a conversation if there's more that three or four people in a room at once.

Edited to add - If others like the speech bubbles, then how about an option to turn them off (like the decaff option)?

[ 15. March 2008, 14:20: Message edited by: davelarge ]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

To switch the bubbles off or change them so you can see more of the conversation, you can:
  • expand the page - it makes the script run across the page and most things only take a line
  • change to decaff option
  • change the script size to impossibly small

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK dumb question, how do I find out what my password is? I'm permanently logged on here and I have no idea what it is!! I must have had it sent to me in an email sometime, but I can't find it.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Has the answer

The cafe doesn't let you post url links

--------------------

Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not dumb! Log out of the Boards, then try to log in again. Follow the 'Lost Password' link & the lovely Erin or one of her minions will email it to you. [Smile]

(X-posted!)

[ 15. March 2008, 14:42: Message edited by: Ags ]

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
that's rather scary though, having to log out ... I mean what if I can't get back in again!!?!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

- Posted      Profile for Gwaelod   Email Gwaelod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just be glad Gwaelod didn't use any java 1.7 features, as Steve Jobs refused to ship that with Leopard...

Leopard comes with 1.5. 1.6 is what most people will be running on other systems. 1.7 isn't quite out yet for anybody. 1.6 is still in testing by Apple.

The software won't work with Mac OS 10.3 and lower. For all other Mac users it should just work. It's because Apple manage Java for the OS, and not Sun.

Posts: 230 | From: Cardiff | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

If you follow the link, it says anywhere you have to sign in will allow you to click on the lost password link.

and how to change your password to one you remember

--------------------

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When people change rooms, it says they've left. Any chance of a different message to show they've swapped rather than abandoned chat altogether?
Many thanks [Smile]

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

quote:
Originally posted by Gwaelod:
1.6 is what most people will be running on other systems.

Well, yes, because otherwise they'd have to develop one version of the code for Macs and another version for everyone else. Full story here.

--------------------
French Whine

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
To switch the bubbles off... you can:
  • change to decaff option

I thought that I tried that and the bubbles persisted. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll have to go and check...

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016