homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Invitation to Baptism (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Invitation to Baptism
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had the Bishop's visit this Sunday. As part of the whole shindig, we had 5 baptisms (2 infants, 2 children, and one adult who was converting).

After he had completed that, he stopped and asked if anyone else wanted to be baptized, and that he would go through with it then and there. No one took him up on that, and we proceeded to go forward to the confirmations. (Where he didn't ask if anyone else wanted to be confirmed...)

I have to say that this is the first time I've ever been in an Episcopal church and had someone ask if anyone wanted to be baptized at that precise moment. I've been in Baptist churches with altar calls, but they don't say that they will baptize right then.

It was refreshing, but odd. Is it odd to anyone else?

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't known many Episcopal priests that think baptism is the sort of thing to do on a lark. Really, this is why we have a script in the Episcopal Church- to limit the participants' opportunities to say or do something stupid.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But how do you tell the Bishop to stick to the script??

He did seem to be having a good time though...

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a data point, I heard such an open invitation once at a baptism that was at the 8:15 service at Grace Cathedral (not by the bishop).

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erm, that seems a little off the wall to me. I would have though that it would have been better, and more in accord with the praxis of the Early Church to ask if there were any there who felt called to be Baptized; wanted to be blessed as catechumens, and then receive instruction so that they could be ready for baptism at the Bishop's next visit.

However, that is just me...

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not just you, PD.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too......most irregular and unseemly of the said Bishop (unless he was inspired at that particular moment by the Holy Spirit Herself......but given the lack of response, presumably not).

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's very odd, to my mind. I'm all for infant baptism and against any receptionist view of the sacraments, but this is just reducing the sacraments to smarties.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We went through a spell at our church when our pastor would, during a scheduled "baptism Sunday," offer an invitation to anyone else who desired baptism to come forward. This didn't go over well, for a number of reasons (not the least of which was the fact that the spontaneous candidates tended to then disappear into the ether, never to be seen again in church). Now the church m.o. is to schedule baptism Sundays well in advance, remind people about them frequently in morning announcements and newsletters and online, and when doing so invite the unbaptized to meet with the pastor beforehand so they understand our understanding of Holy Baptism and basically know what's going on both theologically and ritually that Sunday.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would definitely be regarded as inappropriate here. Except for emergency baptism under fear of imminent death, I think everyone assumes baptism is preceded by some sort of preparation or a session to check people understand what they are doing.

Would your bishop be happy if the rest of the clergy followed his lead? Unless he really would, he shouldn't have done it.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Would your bishop be happy if the rest of the clergy followed his lead? Unless he really would, he shouldn't have done it.

Considering his commitment to evangelism, he might not have had a problem with it.

Our priest does assume that anyone wanting baptism is going to require instruction. If it is an infant or young child, that the parents and godparents will need instruction.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PataLeBon:
quote:

Considering his commitment to evangelism, he might not have had a problem with it.
That's surprising. Round here, it's the people who are more committed to evangelism who tend to be more insistent on some sort of preparation first, rather than indiscriminate baptism.
quote:
Our priest does assume that anyone wanting baptism is going to require instruction. If it is an infant or young child, that the parents and godparents will need instruction.

That's what seems to be usual round here.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been in (a pretty motr Anglican) church once before where a call was made, and one person did respond and was baptised. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I can understand all the argument about preparation and whatever else, but in my experience even when parents and Godparents are prepared they tend not to be seen in church very much. I'm more inclined to trust that if someone responds to the call to baptism then the Holy Spirit is at work, in whatever way, and go from there.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The words of the eunuch here seem particularly apposite.

I think that I would be somewhat wary of this sort of thing done generally, and would certainly wish to ensure that proper catechesis and formation followed any such baptism. There were reasons that the Church developed the catechumenate after all, and we have seen unfortunate cases of hasty and dramatic receptions of people with little follow-up, resulting in them lapsing very quickly.

Yet I don't think there's anything wrong here provided that any who came forward understood what they were doing and received proper formation afterwards.

[ 05. June 2012, 08:45: Message edited by: Michael Astley ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my home church, at one Easter vigil, something similar happened - only it wasn't an open invitation; it was someone - actually I think there were 2 or 3, but I don't remember - who presented themselves and asked to be baptized. We baptized them. I think they might have been some regulars at either the service that mostly homeless people came to, or from the breakfast Bible study, but I'm not sure. In any case, I believe the dean knew who they were.

I don't like the idea of an indiscriminate invitation, but it might depend on the context. For example, few people attend an Easter vigil who aren't really interested in the Church.

If it did happen, I would hope that the church would follow up with the person(s) who responded, and make sure they received training and support in their new Christian life.

These days, I'm not sure people would be inclined to receive baptism on the spot like that without a serious interest - unless at the invitation, their mom or someone was really poking and prodding them so that they caved to the pressure.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An invitation along the lines of "the pool is open, why don't you come forward?" used to be quite common at Baptist baptismal services - remember that they are pretty infrequent and involve much more organisation than Anglican services as the floor panels over the baptistry have to removed and (often) a hose got out to fill it.

This seems to be less common nowadays, possibly due to declining knowledge of Christianity in society in general, and the rise of pre-baptism "discipleship classes" in many churches.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
the floor panels over the baptistry have to removed and (often) a hose got out to fill it.

Selective dyslexia: I read that as 'a horse'. And dreaded to think of the poor baptismal candidates.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True, but you might need a (clothes) horse to dry the towels afterwards ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to a holiday camp many years ago, organised by an Ecumenical youth group I used to go to. The baptisms were held in the swimming pool and I remember a call for anyone else who wished to be baptised to come forward. I'd like to hope that some sort of follow-up happened afterwards, if they didn't have time to attend classes beforehand.

Are such events accepted by established churches as being kosher baptisms? I've heard, for example, about ordination candidates having to be baptised again because they couldn't produce a certificate or parish records to prove they'd been 'done' already....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I went to a holiday camp many years ago, organised by an Ecumenical youth group I used to go to. The baptisms were held in the swimming pool and I remember a call for anyone else who wished to be baptised to come forward. I'd like to hope that some sort of follow-up happened afterwards, if they didn't have time to attend classes beforehand.

Are such events accepted by established churches as being kosher baptisms? I've heard, for example, about ordination candidates having to be baptised again because they couldn't produce a certificate or parish records to prove they'd been 'done' already....

I imagine that if they were provided with a baptismal certificate, preferably indicating which form was used, there would be no trouble. It would be irresponsible of the ministers of baptism not to provide certificates, but that doesn't mean that it'll happen.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

Perhaps those ordination candidates were baptized in a different church that didn't give certificates, or their certificate from when they were a baby had gotten misplaced. They would be given a "provisional" baptism, which is basically, "If you haven't been baptized already, I baptize you..."

I would imagine in the case of someone coming forward on the spot to be baptized, if they weren't well known in the church, someone would get their information down and prepare a certificate ASAP for them to pick up at the church office.

The baptismal candles we use come in individual boxes with a "certificate" printed on them. Perhaps that would do. [Two face]

[ 08. June 2012, 00:30: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't heard an open invitation, but I heard of a quietly offered spontaneous invitation. There was a longtime member of the church whose husband started joining her at church more and more often. After a baptismal service one Sunday, he and the rector were talking about baptism, and he admitted that he wasn't baptized. The priest quietly asked him if he would like to be, even right then if he liked. The gentleman agreed and he was baptized about an hour after church with his wife and the rector's wife attending. His wife shared this with me.

Come to find out later, the gentleman was diagnosed with a terminal disease, which might have had something to do with it. But his new church family was a great comfort to him in the end.

May light perpetual shine upon him. [Votive]

[ 08. June 2012, 01:52: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PataLeBon:
I have to say that this is the first time I've ever been in an Episcopal church and had someone ask if anyone wanted to be baptized at that precise moment. I've been in Baptist churches with altar calls, but they don't say that they will baptize right then.

It was refreshing, but odd. Is it odd to anyone else?

I've heard Archbishop Sentamu invite people to come forward for baptism when he does the ecumenical Easter outdoor baptisms in York.

If people do come forward (this year I think about 2 or 3 did) they first have a talk with one of the local church leaders who I presume ask them why they want to get baptised. After the baptism, they are linked up with a local church, who presumably stay in touch and invite them to services etc.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cruet
Shipmate
# 14586

- Posted      Profile for Cruet   Email Cruet       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Texas, a Baptist friend of mine was
re-baptized because he had sinned since his
first baptism which was three years earlier.

--------------------
snake belly land

Posts: 92 | From: Houston, Tx | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We'd all be in the pool every week if that was the case!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] Would we ever be OUT of it?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cruet:

Perhaps they should consider the ancient practice of delaying baptism until one's death is immanent.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The author and advocate of 'organic church', Frank Viola, claims that in the NT (he refers to Acts) converts were baptised immediately upon believing. He quotes scholars who say that 'those who repented and believed the Word were baptized without delay', and that 'converts were baptized with little or no delay'.

It was only in the post-apostolic age that a long period of preparation, fasting, instruction, etc. began to be required before individual converts could be baptised. The idea also arose that you had to be 'worthy' of baptism, which meant living a certain kind of life; church leaders would scrutinise someone's life carefully before baptising them.

It also came to be believed that baptism forgave sins. This is why some people didn't get baptised until they were dying, because this would enable them to gain the maximum benefit, so to speak, from the procedure.

[ 10. June 2012, 12:02: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister:
quote:
We'd all be in the pool every week if that was the case!
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
[Killing me] Would we ever be OUT of it?

Better safe than sorry. Especially in August. [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A United Methodist pastor can do many things that go against the Book of Discipline, but none are dealt with quite as strongly as when he or she re-baptizes a person.

Also, I was talking to my District Superintendent once about dedicating a baby, and he stopped me. "You dedicate ships and buildings. You baptize babies."

I'll never re-baptize anyone, at least not knowingly. But I can and do reaffirm baptismal vows periodically. It's good to remember what promises I've made.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As others have pointed out, at least some people were baptised immediately after professing faith in the very early church. The Ethiopian Eunuch and Cornelius and his household seem like obvious examples. Of course both of those involve 'God fearers' who already worshipped the God of Israel, which might explain the apostles' relatively relaxed attitude.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
quote:

A United Methodist pastor can do many things that go against the Book of Discipline, but none are dealt with quite as strongly as when he or she re-baptizes a person.
Same here - one of the quickest routes out of the ministry!

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
As others have pointed out, at least some people were baptised immediately after professing faith in the very early church. The Ethiopian Eunuch and Cornelius and his household seem like obvious examples. Of course both of those involve 'God fearers' who already worshipped the God of Israel, which might explain the apostles' relatively relaxed attitude.

The Philippian jailor is another example, although I highly doubt he was a 'God fearer'.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
quote:

Same here - one of the quickest routes out of the ministry!
I was once seated in front of a minister at a (British) Methodist cell church conference. A layperson was talking to him about a problem she'd once come across, where someone who was baptised as a baby came to faith as an adult and wanted to be rebaptised by immersion. The minister said there were 'ways around' this problem in the Methodist Church. I was rather curious as to what these ways were, but since they weren't talking to me, and I didn't know them, I didn't want to turn around and ask.

I know that Methodists don't make too much of a fuss about evangelism, but I can't imagine that a Methodist minister would willingly send away a new believer to the Baptist or charismatic church down the road because of Methodist rules against rebaptism.....

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get the feeling from the context of both the Philippian gaoler and the Ethiopian Eunuch that the conversation preceeding the requst for baptism had been heavy enough to ensure that they had a pretty clear idea of the central truths of the Christianity.

I find myself in the middle of the range of possible views on this one. I am not sure that an immensely long preparation is necessary, but that folks need to be sincere in their commitment to accept Christ as their Saviour and renounce the Devil and all his works, and the vain pomps and glories of the world. A more detailed catechesis - at least in traditional RC, Anglican, Lutheran and Methodist circles - then preceeds confirmation. That approach at least seems reasonable to me, even if it does not suit the liturgical archeologists with their fixation on the 4th century.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would tell this person that I was unable to rebaptize, because in doing so I would in effect be saying that his/her baptism as a baby was invalid, and that God's grace is ineffective if the person's intent or physical memory isn't there -- which clearly isn't so.

I would also say that remembrance isn't merely physical memory. When Jesus said "do this in remembrance of me", he wasn't merely speaking about physical memory, but about placing ourselves in the moment. That is how we, removed by an ocean and two thousand years, can still remain faithful to this command. Likewise, when we "remember" our baptism, we may or may not physically remember the service, but we can certainly place ourselves in the moment and repeat and reaffirm the vows as though we were saying them for the first time.

Finally, I would say that I understand the need for ceremony in human life (for that is why we have graduations, funerals, weddings, coronations and Presidential inaugurations, and similar rites and ceremonies), and I would find a way to allow that person to have a physical memory of a special ceremony while remaining true to my theology and the Book of Discipline. This would probably include a reaffirmation of baptismal vows among and in front of the gathered community, and using water in ways that cannot be interpreted as baptism (as per the rubrics).

Having this touchstone of ritual cannot always completely replace the lack of physical memory, but I believe it can be an acceptable and useful substitute. I think the main point is that it is done among and in front of the gathered community, not in isolation or private. In that regard, it is a rite of passage.

I have done this very thing for someone who had been baptized, who had been an active believer, and then for a certain reason had moved away from the Church and from God. At a later point, he found himself again seeking God, and wanted to return to full membership. He wanted to be rebaptized as a sign to himself and to the rest of the church that he was back in the fold, so to speak. I explained the things I outlined above and we had a good conversation about it. In the end I had him come forward on Easter Sunday morning and led him and the whole church in a reaffirmation of baptismal vows. I then got to fling water at everyone. [Biased] This all meant a lot to him, and gave him a memory which he could then point to as the time when the church received him back joyfully.

I ran into him quite some time later, after I'd left that church, and that experience was one of the first things he mentioned. So I know it can work.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Padre Joshua

There are probably some cultural differences to take into account here.

In the UK, the situation is less likely to include a 'backslider', as you might say. It's more likely to be a question of someone who was never really 'in' the church, apart from their infant baptism, (and perhaps a few years in Sunday school, although even that is quite rare now) but who comes to faith in later life. In other words, the individual may never have paid much attention to living up to the promises made during their infant baptism, and their parents were not likely to have been very active Christians themselves.

I don't know what would happen in an evangelical CofE congregation, which is the kind of congregation where this is most likely to be an issue. Baptists and other evangelicals mostly just re-baptise. And non-evangelical British churches probably don't often attract the kind of converts who would present this problem.

BTW, I've never come across the practice of throwing water around in church! It sounds like fun!

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
[I can't imagine that a Methodist minister would willingly send away a new believer to the Baptist or charismatic church down the road because of Methodist rules against rebaptism.....

I can - at least, if they are adamant they wish to be (re)baptised. I would have thought that most Methodists (and URCs) would be very sensitive to the ecumenical implications - as, to be fair, would be many Baptists (BU rather than Strict).
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
[I can't imagine that a Methodist minister would willingly send away a new believer to the Baptist or charismatic church down the road because of Methodist rules against rebaptism.....

I can - at least, if they are adamant they wish to be (re)baptised. I would have thought that most Methodists (and URCs) would be very sensitive to the ecumenical implications - as, to be fair, would be many Baptists (BU rather than Strict).
What I meant was, they would probably be loathe to lose this person to another church, particularly if they've come to faith among the Methodists. To put it bluntly, the Methodist Church can't really afford to turn good, impassioned people away! But I suppose that this has to occur if all else fails.

As I say, according to the minster I mentioned in my post above, the Methodist Church has ways around the problem. I wonder - maybe the individual concerned could be rebaptised by an independent, non-Methodist evangelist, outside the walls of a Methodist church. This might absolve the Methodist minister of guilt in the eyes of his own employers, and the individual concerned could still become a member of the Methodist Church. Some might see this as underhand behaviour, but the Methodist Church does tolerate certain things offsite that it wouldn't accept within the walls of a Methodist church, e.g. drinking alcohol, and the blessing of same-sex unions. Also, I doubt that the Methodist Church refuses membership to those who actually believe in rebaptism, or who have already been rebaptised.

I've heard of a curious case in the West Indies, where apparently a whole Methodist congregation decided to get baptised in Jesus' name, according to the formula used by the Oneness Pentecostals. Yet they apparently remained 'Methodists'. The congregation wasn't ejected as heretical. I'd be fascinated to know the facts of this case, such as when this actually happened and what became of this congregation in the long term, but my sources probably don't know the details.

Cruet
Shipmate
# 14586

- Posted      Profile for Cruet   Email Cruet       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Svitlana V2, Roman Catholics and Anglicans reaffirm there baptismal vows every year at
the Easter Vigil. Many churches use the Asperges
every Sunday to remind us of our Baptismal vows.

--------------------
snake belly land

Posts: 92 | From: Houston, Tx | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

quote:
Padre Joshua

There are probably some cultural differences to take into account here.

In the UK, the situation is less likely to include a 'backslider', as you might say. It's more likely to be a question of someone who was never really 'in' the church, apart from their infant baptism, (and perhaps a few years in Sunday school, although even that is quite rare now) but who comes to faith in later life. In other words, the individual may never have paid much attention to living up to the promises made during their infant baptism, and their parents were not likely to have been very active Christians themselves.

This does happen in the US, although it seems to be getting rarer as time passes. People may have gone to Vacation Bible School (the eighth Sacrament in the southern US) as children and were baptized, but their parents never really got them into church. Or maybe they were baptized in the RC or TEC or even UMC as infants, but their parents didn't follow through with making sure they were raised in church. There are several other possibilities, which I won't get into.

I do understand your point, and I can see where it would be a larger issue in the UK than here, partly because we don't have an "official" Church and partly because people don't think to have their babies baptized.

Still, just because someone cannot remember their baptism isn't grounds for me or any other UMC pastor to rebaptize. We have to fall back on what I outlined above, or some variation, and hope that God's grace will continue to work in that person's life so that they can find peace about not having a physical memory of their baptism.

We also respond with grace, and occasionally rules are bent somewhat to accommodate God's children, because no one is perfect and no rule covers every situation. But those are almost always discussed with the district superintendent and/or bishop beforehand.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
BTW, I've never come across the practice of throwing water around in church! It sounds like fun!

I first got introduced to this (formal term "Asperges") at Easter Vigil at our Episcopalian cathedral. Most of the clergy I've seen doing it appear to be having a blast. It's definitely one of my favorite parts of the Vigil. One time at my present church when I was "on duty" and had been asked to go back to the sacristry before it happened (to hand out items to the acolytes), I flagged down one of the priests after the service and requested it.

I was baptized as a baby. One of the few things I retained from my Methodist Sunday School days was that re-baptism was Just Wrong, no matter how much I'd *like* to do it. I never ended up in the type of church that insisted on believer-only baptism, so going through the vows again - and getting sprinkled - has helped square the circle for me. (I did get a Ritual Fix eventually through confirmation, but there is something about getting wet.)

As a note, in TEC there are four Sundays (or Sunday-equivalents) regularly appointed for baptisms, or in lieu of baptisms, the renewal of baptismal vows by the assembled congregation: the feasts of the Baptism of Our Lord (Sunday after Epiphany), Easter/Easter Vigil, Pentecost, All Saints Sunday (first Sunday in November). Baptisms may happen at other times, but those are the four regular times.

Our interims (one paid, one NSM) love doing the Asperges and we have a beautiful new font so we do get it with "renewal of vows", not just at the Great Vigil of Easter. Some places do it a lot more often. I can't recall at the moment whether we got sprinkled after the two recent baptisms (both of which were off the "regular" schedule).

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know what would happen in an evangelical CofE congregation, which is the kind of congregation where this is most likely to be an issue.
I attended an interesting baptism service a while back in a big youth-orientated charismatic evangelical C of E church, where three of those involved underwent full immersion believers' baptism under the VERY transparent figleaf of a re-affirmation of baptismal vows, having already been baptised as babies. According to a friend of mine who used to attend there they are basically Baptist in practise.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
quote:
I don't know what would happen in an evangelical CofE congregation, which is the kind of congregation where this is most likely to be an issue.
I attended an interesting baptism service a while back in a big youth-orientated charismatic evangelical C of E church, where three of those involved underwent full immersion believers' baptism under the VERY transparent figleaf of a re-affirmation of baptismal vows, having already been baptised as babies. According to a friend of mine who used to attend there they are basically Baptist in practise.
Ah. So this is the answer!

I suppose the question is whether you see the water or the liturgy as the most important aspect of baptism. These 're-affirmations' will surely not be using a baptismal liturgy, since they don't claim to be baptisms. But they will, of course, be using water. Can you accuse them of re-baptising if they follow orders and stay away from the official CofE baptismal liturgy? I imagine that they've devised their own, somewhat different liturgy.

The CofE leadership has presumably decided that this congregation and its priests should be left alone rather than punished. This suggests either that a flourishing congregation can get away with anything, or more subtly, that the CofE is willing to consider the spirit rather than the letter of the law in evangelistic and pastoral contexts.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Or, more cynically, that the bishop doesn't want to alienate churches who put bums on pews and money in the plates.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Or, more cynically, that the bishop doesn't want to alienate churches who put bums on pews and money in the plates.

Certainly. I did consider giving this as a possible motive, but didn't want to come across as too cynical myself! But I think all churches, once they become institutionalised, have to steer a path between doctrinal purity (as they see it), strictness, and pragmatism. Growing movements and those seeking higher social acceptability are more willing to eject people who don't conform. But stagnating or declining movements that already have a settled social status are less willing to drive committed participants away.

These institutions have to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of various courses of action, and at the moment I can't see how it would be wise for the bishops to make a big issue out of these 're-affirmations' that look like baptisms.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
quote:
The reference to 'very transparent fig leaf' conjured up the thought that they might be reviving a very different Early Church practice. I know this sounds unlikely but I have heard it alleged that in the first centuries, baptismal candidates were baptised naked.

CW does actually include a service called "Affirmation of Baptismal Faith" (p 200 in the Christian Initiation book). I think it has to be made clear that it is not a baptism.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know this sounds unlikely but I have heard it alleged that in the first centuries, baptismal candidates were baptised naked.

It's the unquestioned norm for many centuries. In his Mystagogical Catecheses, Cyril, 4th Century bishop of Jerusalem, has this to say to the newly baptized:

quote:

Upon entering [the inner room of the baptistery] you took off your clothing, and this symbolized your stripping off of "the old nature with its practices." Stripped naked, in this too you were imitating Christ naked on the cross, who in his darkness "disarmed the principalities and powers" and on the wood of the cross publicly "triumphed over them." (2.2)

As one of my liturgy profs said, "You want early church liturgy? You can't handle early church liturgy!"

[ 25. June 2012, 22:23: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No need to get overly excited. I gather that women were attended by deaconesses precisely because of the nakedness thang.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Holy Smoke
Shipmate
# 14866

- Posted      Profile for Holy Smoke     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The CofE leadership has presumably decided that this congregation and its priests should be left alone rather than punished. This suggests either that a flourishing congregation can get away with anything, or more subtly, that the CofE is willing to consider the spirit rather than the letter of the law in evangelistic and pastoral contexts.

A certain amount of slack is cut: open table for the Liberal Catholics, Roman Missal for the Anglo-Papists, lack of vestments for the Evos. The line has been drawn in the past for Lay Presidency; doubtless it would for blessings of homosexual partnerships. This sounds like following the letter of the law, rather than the spirit, so it is unlikely anything would be done, I think. And it is a large and successful (or should I say popular) church.
Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016