homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » If you could be a critter...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: If you could be a critter...
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you could choose to be a critter of some sort, and not a human, what would you choose to be? And why?
I would probably choose to be an alpacca 'cause they're so gosh-darn cute that they could probably get away with all kinds of crap.

(Alpacca my coat.)

[ 23. July 2012, 20:55: Message edited by: Silver Faux ]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cat, and not just to make it easy for people to keep track. They are gorgeous, fierce, self-sufficient, in charge and sleep a lot.

Cattyish, wishing I were agile.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sometimes think that I would fit in as a dog, because I am already on board with the anti-squirrel and raccoon platform.

But then I remember that part of being a dog is sticking random stuff you just found in your mouth, just to find out what it is. That would take some getting used to...

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IF?

Check the avatar.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be a squirrel. I have long suspected they are plotting to take over the world, and I'd like to be on the winning side.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A kingfisher.
Any species.
But if given the choice I would especially like to be one of the hovering diving ones rather than just the perching diving ones.

[ 24. July 2012, 03:49: Message edited by: Galilit ]

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be my dog, Gavin - he's so pampered!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The majestic eagle. Not only can they fly, nobody fucks with them.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A dolphin. No boundaries, no territories, just the whole ocean to swim in and play with my friends.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

I'd like to be a weasel because weasels don't have to worry about being sucked into jet engines. Besides, being a weasel may help me understand the thinking of certain politicians.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to be a bear living on the Alaska/BC coast. I promise not to chase people and there's nothing quite like fresh river-caught salmon.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But they have to hunt live stuff. [Paranoid]

Make me a turkey vulture, anytime.

I also think (anecdotally) the glide ratios are better although I have yet to read any real science on the matter.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A penguin. I actually suspect human beings are a first attempt, and a cosmic joke. Penguins were created in the image of God, humans were created in the image of funny. I would ask for opposable thumbs however.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
I'd be a squirrel. I have long suspected they are plotting to take over the world, and I'd like to be on the winning side.

The idea of those overrated rats even thinking themselves worthy of an attempt at world domination disgusts me. This is why I would make a great dog.
quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:
A penguin. I actually suspect human beings are a first attempt, and a cosmic joke. Penguins were created in the image of God, humans were created in the image of funny. I would ask for opposable thumbs however.

You may be familiar with this song, written after the singer met a woman who had a large collection of penguin related memorabilia.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Otters seem to have a lot of fun.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitly a cat - but only if it would be a much loved and spoiled-rotten one like our pair are. They certainly rule the household and get away with just about anything.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Albatross.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:

Me, too! Me, too! I wanna be a sea otter!

I just went to the Aquarium of the Pacific a few weeks ago and got to watch them swim under water in the tank, and listen to a docent give an explanatory talk. The tank was very roomy with lots of rocky holes to swim through, and they had some fun, tough plastic toys to play with for enrichment. They enjoy playing and they are very curious and exploratory.

I asked the speaker whether they ever ate the fish in the tank. She laughed and said when the aquarium introduced live fish to the new otter tank, the otters had a "WHAT THE HECK!?" response. They were all young rescues and had never swum with live fishies before. They worked it out and fish no longer scare them. [Big Grin]

They don't have too many predators, the worst being great whites. They have musky butts with smell and taste that sort of put off many orcas and sea lions once they've tried to eat one.

Ah! to be an otter taking a nap in the kelp after a tasty round of sea urchins.... [Cool]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a teenager, I sometimes thought that I would like to be a breeding bull with about 200 cows to service.
What spoiled that dream, however, was that they would be, like, cows!

--------------------

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think many self-confessed studs, at the end of their studding days, tend to realise their many courtships have had a certain animalistic quality about them and the same sort of regard for women as breeding bulls have for cows, which is terribly, terribly sad, Silver Faux. You were fortunate you realised it was the adolescent stage you were going through. Many men never do.

Wolves have always intrigued and interested me. Ditto bears. Pity there so many loony hunters around. I think I'd be a wolf.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Horse, of course

People are nice to them.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:

Me, too! Me, too! I wanna be a sea otter!

I just went to the Aquarium of the Pacific a few weeks ago and got to watch them swim under water in the tank, and listen to a docent give an explanatory talk. The tank was very roomy with lots of rocky holes to swim through, and they had some fun, tough plastic toys to play with for enrichment. They enjoy playing and they are very curious and exploratory.

And they can juggle (sort of).

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

just last week my family were having a conversation deciding who was what animal, and they decided unanimously that I'm an otter. it had never occurred to me before, but I'd totally be an otter.
quote:
Originally posted by 205:
quote:

Make me a turkey vulture, anytime.

Bald eagles are carrion eaters when the opportunity arrises. I used to get them in my trash all of the time. a little intimidating to shoo off, believe me.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You say that as if it's something I wouldn't enjoy...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Indeed.

We have a cat.

To a true predator hunting and killing of prey is not just necessary, it is enjoyable.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to be a giraffe so I could stand in a crowd and still be able to see something other than the armpit of the person in front.

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm....it's a toss-up between our cat, who rules our home like a dowager empress, and our dog, who is quite possibly the most spoiled pooch on the planet -- her life is an ongoing cycle of sleeping (she is at this moment enjoying her daily "second sleep," which happens after waking up to greet everyone and taking her morning constitutional), getting tickles and hugs and snuggles, eating, running and, once a week, visiting the dog-sitter and her posse of canine friends. Other than the indignity of getting dosed with much despised flea medicine every month and having to go outside to relieve herself, I'm not really seeing a downside to her life.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Either I would be an otter or a tiger. Tigers are the only big cats that love water and I love water... and tigers. Otters look like they have so much fun.

Seals are cool, too. I'd be a dolphin but with my luck, the U.S. Navy would capture me and make me detonate underwater mines on ships or something.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I want to be something out of a medieval bestiary, like a chimera or a Unicorn or a hippogriff. I fancy the menace of a tiger, the beauty of a gazelle and the excitability levels of a sloth. Plus the ability to fly.

[ 25. July 2012, 19:38: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I think I want to be something out of a medieval bestiary, like a chimera or a Unicorn or a hippogriff.

Oh well, if we're allowed those I'll be a dragon please [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Smile]

And to add insult to injury this morning I watched a very comparatively small bird annoying a hawk perched on a powerline.

The little shit WOULD NOT leave him/her alone going as far as actual contact while strafing.

(Og: according to an ol' Southern boy I once met squirrels are rats with a presentation.)

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A chamaeleon so I could fool people most of the time.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

quote:
quote:
I think I want to be something out of a medieval bestiary, like a chimera or a Unicorn or a hippogriff.

If you can be a Martian, I'm pretty sure that you can also be a dragon; in fact, you could inform us that all Martians are also dragons.
I mean, who is going to argue with a dragon about something like that?
I still would not want to be the worm in a bottle of tequila, though; you have to be dead to qualify, and besides, I prefer rum to tequila.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:

I still would not want to be the worm in a bottle of tequila, though; you have to be dead to qualify,

Yes, but you would die happy.
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

quote:
quote:

I still would not want to be the worm in a bottle of tequila, though; you have to be dead to qualify,

And you would like me to be prompt about it? [Snigger]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

In your own time. But if you do die of tequila saturation, you won't half go up with a whoosh at the crematorium.

Ah. Marvin, I've just thought of a way you could get the whole fire-breathing thing going...

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
quote:

In college one night, I thought I was going to die of tequila saturation. Believe you me, nothing happy about that event. No hospital visit, but I did become quite familiar with my bathroom floor. It was years before I could even smell the stuff without breaking into the sweats.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:

There's a thought

On second thoughts...

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No competition. I'd be a sloth (if I wasn't one in my past life I am certain I will be in the next. I'm getting the practice in as much as I can already zzzzzzzzzz).

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
angelfish
Shipmate
# 8884

- Posted      Profile for angelfish   Email angelfish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglerfish (not angelfish)! They are so mean looking, everybody would take me seriously for a change.

--------------------
"As God is my witness, I WILL kick Bishop Brennan up the arse!"

Posts: 1017 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

It might be fun to be a Bigfoot and go into a McDonald's or Starbucks, sit down at a table with my laptop computer, and check out what's new on The Ship. Then I could take pictures of facial responses with a cellphone, and upload them to YouTube.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016