homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » daisydaisy shipmeet - 21st August, Glasgow

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: daisydaisy shipmeet - 21st August, Glasgow
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Later in August I'll be spending a few days in Glasgow and a couple of days in Edinburgh, and wonder if anyone would be free for a shipmeet.

I'll be free in Glasgow on the evenings of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 20th to 22nd August, and in Edinburgh during the day on Thursday 23rd and the day and early evening (before the sleeper train) on Friday 24th.

[ 17. August 2012, 12:55: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Let me know how it goes... i.e. are the natives friendly?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I'm not a native, but I'm fairly friendly...

I should be able to meet up sometime when you're in Glasgow.

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where would be a good place for a Glasgow shipment? I'll be staying not far from the school of art.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lucky you - I love all the Mackintosh architecture in Glasgow. We'll be in Edinburgh around then, but we'll be too busy cooing over my new great-niece to do anything much else. [Smile]

Have a good one though - why not meet at the Willow Tea Room?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While in Edinburgh I strongly recommend that you visit my old parish church, Sacred Heart, Lauriston The Stations of the Cross especially are worth a visit on their own.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unfortunately I will be at work (in Edinburgh) during your Glasgow free nights so will struggle to make it on a school night (as it were), and travelling down to/at Greenbelt when you are in Edinburgh! Sorry to miss you, but hope you have a great trip - both cities are wonderful [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Lucky you - I love all the Mackintosh architecture in Glasgow. We'll be in Edinburgh around then, but we'll be too busy cooing over my new great-niece to do anything much else. [Smile]

Have a good one though - why not meet at the Willow Tea Room?

I've already booked lunch there on day 1 of my CRM pilgrimage - 3 days visiting as many as I can on public transport - it can be done!!

I will listen out for a cooing piglet [Smile]

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, it needs to be evening for me.

Places to meet/eat.... hmm, city centre I've no idea really, apart from Paperino's. Any suggestions, other folks?
Or you could come out to the West End... (if you're thinking about visiting the Kelvingrove and/or the Mackintosh House that would be West End and we could piggy back off that)

[ 05. August 2012, 13:33: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

--------------------

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, shippies across the pond.

We're putting together a Nashville meet with no particular date in mind. Grits suggested a possible Skype link between shipmeets, and since this one is coming together soon....

Any interest from your side?

Perhaps the 1st every virtual shipmeet linking.

[ 05. August 2012, 19:13: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, not the first virtual link up - we did it for the 10th anniversary, with Kelly over in London? - tried for 10 meets in 10 places and link ups, managed about 5. We used the café

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
if you're thinking about visiting the Kelvingrove and/or the Mackintosh House

The Mackintosh House is closed until Sept 15th.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Maybe not the Mackintosh House then....
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
if you're thinking about visiting the Kelvingrove and/or the Mackintosh House

The Mackintosh House is closed until Sept 15th.
I'm so glad you posted this news.... my plan had been to go there on my way over to Helensburgh for the Hill House, which I am planning to do on either Tuesday or Wednesday - I can be flexible (on Monday I have bookings for an Art School tour & lunch at the Willow Tearooms).
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

If you're wanting to do as much Rennie Mackintosh as possible, don't forget House for an Art Lover
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Oh yes that is for the day I'm not going to Hill House (and now Kelvingrove to replace The Mackintosh House). I'll be going to Scotland Street School on the same day.
My plan is roughly:
Monday
- sleeper train arrives
- Glasgow School of Art tour
- Willow Tearooms in Sauchiehall Street
- The Lighthouse
Tuesday or Wednesday
- Scotland Street School
- House for an Art Lover
- The Mackintosh Church at Queen's Cross
Wednesday or Tuesday
- Kelvingrove (a revisit and replaces The Mackintosh House)
- The Hill House
Thursday & Friday
- Edinburgh, including Speed of Light on Thursday night
and the sleeper train home on Friday night.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Heavens - that really is a Rennie Mackintosh pilgrimage, isn't it!
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I'll be coming home needing sleep I think!
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We might manage to join you in Glasgow. I'll try and remember to pay attention to plans.
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Any suggestions for Glasgow yet on where & when (next Tuesday or Wednesday)? My guide book mentions Cafe JJ on Dumbarton Road and Beanscene on Argyle Street, both of which are on bus routes back to where I am staying. A quick peek at their websites looks promising.

And would anyone like a coffee on Thursday or Friday?

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You need to find somewhere that does a deep fried Mars Bar.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does Scotland do poutine?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Not that I've seen.....
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are Beanscenes all over the place - good for coffee, panini etc, I've never eaten their more substantial stuff. Never come across Cafe JJ I don't think, but my info on that part of the world is well out of date.
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Beanscene 'substantial' stuff is basically pizza (if they do it - not all do) or nachos - both very nice, but nothing amazing or unusual. I don't know Cafe JJ, but there is a Paperino's on Byres Rd as well and we know they do good food [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Do any bus routes go near to Byres Road? I need to be able to get there from Renfrew Street & back again afterwards.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Sorry, got overtaken by lab work....

Byres Rd? Sure - dead easy.

Anything that's running along Argyle St/Dumbarton Rd goes past the bottom of Byres Rd. I was going to suggest Paperinos, which will give you dinner rather than snacky stuff, but Jack got there first! It's also quite a large restaurant, so shouldn't be a problem getting in; Cafe JJ is quite small. It's (Paperino) probably about 15mins walk from the Kelvingrove or if you're on the subway, virtually opposite Hillhead Station. I'm guessing the nearest station for where you're staying may be Cowcaddens.

I can do either Tues or Weds - what do you fancy? From 6pm on works best for me.

[ 15. August 2012, 10:30: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Um. My previous post assumed you were down Argyle St/Kelvingrove/Dumbarton Rd anyway...

If you're coming out of town, the 20 or 66 come up Great Western Rd and pass the other end of Byres Rd....

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

So, if we say Tues or Weds at Paperinos in Byres Road at a time from about 6pm, who would like to join us?
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Erm, maybe. The sczlet and I may be visiting a friend in Glasgow one of those days in which case we could easily stay on. It'd probably be a bit early for scz to join us, but he's perfectly capable of fending for himself. I'll get back to you when I have some sort of a plan....

Just thinking it must be about a year since we last met in a Paperino's given that the evening's entertainment included guess the gender! I seem to remember neither Kingsfold or JtL were very good at it [Biased]

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

You expected me to be any good with getting anything right about infants? More fool you [Biased]

So at the moment, we have place & time, just not day. Close enough for now?

--------------------

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

I seem to remember you're actually very good with infants [Razz]

We're now going through to Glasgow today making another trip next week less likely. Will keep an eye on what you decide and let you know if we plan to join you.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Could come in handy since I'm going to be an auntie... soon ( [Eek!] - puir wee bairn!)

OK - daisydaisy, how do you feel about Tuesday then?

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Tuesday sounds great - 6-ish?
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Wonderful - we have a date [Smile]

Tuesday 21st Aug, 6pm, Paperino's Byres Rd.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Please could a kindly host change the title of this thread to reflect that we have a date, time & place? [Razz]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've changed it a bit but if an Edinburgh meet then happens you might have to start another thread or I could change the title again.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Many thanks Wodders.

(makes far more sense when the full stop is in the right place)

[ 17. August 2012, 18:06: Message edited by: daisydaisy ]

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

I think realistically this would be a bit much for us this week [Frown] Daisydaisy I hope you're enjoying your trip, Kingsfold I hope we can catch up soon.
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Thanks - yes it's been good and 3 days isn't long enough! There is so much to see and do.

I had a lovely evening with Kingsfold - Paparino's was a good choice, especially as I was at Kelvingrove Museum for the last part of the afternoon.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Yes, indeed it was a good evening. [Smile]

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016