homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » King Charles the Martyr (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: King Charles the Martyr
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just seen the website of the Society of King Charles the Martyr and read the accounts of the annual service in London on 30th January. I understand that there are three commemorations each year.

Although primarily seen by some as a specifically CofE martyr, I notice that he has a number of RC adherents and that there is a branch of the Society in the US.

Do any shipmates have any experience of the SKCM or services organised by it?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't know much about it, but the church of King Charles the Martyr at Falmouth has a friendly cafe! [Yipee]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, churchy stuff.

Eccles it is.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:

Do any shipmates have any experience of the SKCM or services organised by it?

I have been to a number of the January 30th masses here in the States. They tend to be as extreme in the old fashioned AC manner as humanly possible.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
poileplume
Shipmate
# 16438

- Posted      Profile for poileplume   Email poileplume   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By chance I was at a very traditional, or should it be eccentric, Anglo Catholic Church on one of these celebrations. I found out later that they regularly put out copies of ‘The Monarchist’ for the congregation’s edification.

I made the mistake of saying I thought Charles the First probably got what was coming to him. This was a serious mistake....

--------------------
Please note I am quite severely dyslexic

Posts: 319 | From: Quebec | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by poileplume:
By chance I was at a very traditional, or should it be eccentric, Anglo Catholic Church on one of these celebrations. I found out later that they regularly put out copies of ‘The Monarchist’ for the congregation’s edification.

I made the mistake of saying I thought Charles the First probably got what was coming to him. This was a serious mistake....

[Killing me] I would have LOVED to be there. (And FWIW I agree with you.)

Still, I would like to go (politely) to such a service someday. Is it a sin to go to church to be amused?

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The church of St Mary-le-Strand used to have statues (icons? at any rate I seem to remember a votive stand nearby) of both Charles I and Henrietta Maria.

As a good papist, I trust she would have disapproved.

Archbishop Laud actually dedicated the church of St Katherine Kree in the City of London, and they have a copy of Van Dyck's portrait of him from the Fitzwilliam Cambridge.

I don't really approve of all this monarchist stuff at all.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
jordan32404
Shipmate
# 15833

- Posted      Profile for jordan32404   Author's homepage   Email jordan32404   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a member of SKCM, although I've never been to one of the Masses (it's a shame I couldn't go this year, we had a service at All Saints Cathedral in Albany). Their newsletter is very interesting, although I'm more of a Protestant churchman so I don't go for all the veneration and all but I'm an eccentric Churchman too so I seem to fit in.
Posts: 268 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Although not a member of SKCM, I normally go to the commemorative Solemn Eucharist each year on 30 January and this year was no exception. That is to say in the Banqueting Hall in Whitehall, London.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps as a cavalier in most things (though a fairly non-religious one) I ought to join as a sign of recoil and distaste at anything puritanical?

I might find the liturgical stuff rather off-putting though.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've always tended to go along with 1066 and All That's assessment of the Cavaliers as Wrong but Romantic, and the Roundheads as Right but Repulsive. But the deification of royalty (especially dead royalty) strikes me as both Wrong and Repulsive.
YMMV.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
The church of St Mary-le-Strand used to have statues (icons? at any rate I seem to remember a votive stand nearby) of both Charles I ...

As do we (an icon, that is).
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not having attended any such services myself, I can only report from hearsay that the annual commemoration in Whitehall is.....er......interesting - both liturgically (old-fashioned A-C to the Nth degree) and theologically.

IIRC, there are about half-a-dozen churches in the UK dedicated to His Late Majesty. One of them, at least - King Charles, Tunbridge Wells - is not at all extreme. Straightforward MOTR Anglican, with good music, a tiny parish, and yet a fair-sized congregation (Tunbridge Wells is, largely, an Evangelical stronghold!).

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I've always tended to go along with 1066 and All That's assessment of the Cavaliers as Wrong but Romantic, and the Roundheads as Right but Repulsive. But the deification of royalty (especially dead royalty) strikes me as both Wrong and Repulsive.
YMMV.

Then here we would profoundly disagree. I do possess a bust of Charles I on the stair well that gets a bow from time to time, and the main picture on the dining room is the arrival of Charles II in Dover in 1660 at the end of the repulsive years of tyranny, to celebrate the glorious restoration of the monarchy in that year.

Vivat vivat

--------------------
sebhyatt

Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A mass for King Charles the Martyr is held each January here in Melbourne.

Both King Charles and Archbishop William Laud, Martyrs, are included in the Calendar for January of A Prayer Book for Australia.

We have a window in our church to Archbishop Laud that includes the text from Revelation 2:10: ‘faithful unto death’.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Angloid:
quote:
But the deification of royalty (especially dead royalty) strikes me as both Wrong and Repulsive.
YMMV.

(I don't know about deification, except in the Orthodox sense)...but, but... What about Queen Margaret of Scotland? It would be hard to find a kinder, more giving saint than she.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a rather fine holy picture of the King at All Saints, Ashmont, Boston . In a city so identified with rebellion against royal power it seems rather amusing: evidence of incipient jacobitism? Paul Revere, an agent for the restoration of the Stuart successn, anyone?

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find the whole 'Charles-King-and-Martyr' business very tempting. But I'm not sure I believe it - it would be somewhat akin to canonising Neville Chamberlain, another basically decent man who ended up wreaking catastrophe on the country through his own personal weakness.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In fairness, Charles by all accounts went to his death with dignity and without bitterness for his enemies, which can be honoured as a Christian act.

I'm in the Wrong but Wromantic camp myself, but for many his death would have seemed the end of a tyranny.

PS Bishop's Finger: those dedications at Tunbridge Wells and Falmouth date from the Restoration. They are not a result of the more recent cult with Anglo Catholic touches, evinced by eg the statue of Charles in the shrine church at Walsingham on the back stairs up to the Orthodox chapel.

[ 11. April 2012, 09:13: Message edited by: venbede ]

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
YMMV.

Except the Roundheads were clearly wrong when it came to their treatment of the Church. One only needs to flick through a list of their Ordinances (Acts of Parliament without Royal Assent) and purported Acts of Parliament to see quite what a vast proportion of their scheming was against anything (or anyone) that represented catholicity or apostolicity in the Church; it includes such dubious gems as:

List here

Although the full Eikon Basilike treatment may go too far, whilst there are still Nonconformists around doing a whitewash job on the so-called Great Ejection, the 29th of January serves as a useful reminder.

[Edited for copyrighted material.]

[ 11. April 2012, 12:45: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pererin, posting a large chunk of text copied verbatim from another source, even if abridged, is a violation of Commandment 7. In future, please post a link instead.

Mamacita, Eccles Host

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe there should be a perennial thread for discussions of Chuck, since it comes up more than anything since the ancient subject of *shudder* Gin?

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Pererin, posting a large chunk of text copied verbatim from another source, even if abridged, is a violation of Commandment 7. In future, please post a link instead.

Mamacita, Eccles Host

Mamacita, I do not believe what I posted to be "illegal material", as it consisted solely of my own selection of the titles of Bills, the complete list of which is a matter of public record (not that citations in themselves are in any meaningful sense copyrightable anyway, else no-one would ever be able to cite anything). Notwithstanding Commandment 5, I find your characterization of it as such verging on offensive. If you meant to say simply that you edited me for length, I would ask you kindly to edit your post to say so and to retract your allegation; otherwise I am going to have to raise this in the Styx.

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hosts do not edit posts to alter the content. If Mamacita wishes to retract a hostly comment, that is her business but she is in no way obliged to. Any further discussion on this matter belongs in The Styx

Spike
SoF Admin

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course, King Charles' eldest son died a RC and his next son is often considered to be of saintly character too, so something must have been going on.

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
James didn't just die an RC but lived one too, to clarify. So, bound to be some interest from a wide religious spectrum.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice to see you again, Vaticanchic.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vaticanchic:
Of course, King Charles' eldest son died a RC and his next son is often considered to be of saintly character too, so something must have been going on.

Who on earth by?

Charles II said of him that he feared that when he came to wear the crown, he'd be obliged to travel again. He was.

He's also reputed to have said, on hearing that James had got Anne Hyde pregnant and was marrying her, that marrying ones mistress was like being sick in ones hat and then putting it on ones head.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
His devotees tend to be tories and BCP types. That's why I have nothing to do with it.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
There's a rather fine holy picture of the King at All Saints, Ashmont, Boston . In a city so identified with rebellion against royal power it seems rather amusing: evidence of incipient jacobitism? Paul Revere, an agent for the restoration of the Stuart successn, anyone?

Later 19th Century Anglo-Catholic romanticism and American-Bostonian elite romantic monarchism. That's all. Little to do with the Congregationalist, Yankee mercantile colonial bourgeois Boston that was a hotbead of revolutionary ferment in the second half of the 18th Century. There's a big historical gap between serious, austere John Adams and the affluent toffs of America's Gilded Age.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

Who on earth by?

Ditto - just to clarify, you are talking about James II yes? I somewhat unfortunate man perhaps but I have never heard him described as being remarkable for his holiness.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I am not certain who considers James II to be a saintly character, but I am perhaps out of the loop on these matters. I believe that his elder brother Charles II, commenting adversely on the looks of James' mistress, said that she must have been prescribed as a penance by the then-Duke of York's confessor.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

Ahh how unkind and limited. John Callow writes sympathetically of the King, both at home and in exile. Similar saintly cause to his father. When it became apparent that domestic Stuart succession was extinct, overtures were made to James. He was required to agree to his heir being a Prot. He didn't.

--------------------

Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

And yes - the annoying thing about saintly character is that anyone can attain it (cos that's why we are created) and it's generally not what popular culture thinks it is.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Of course something was going on, it was all taken care of in the Glorious Revolution. May God bless the memory of Dear King Billy and Queen Mary. [Angel]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
quote:

Of course something was going on, it was all taken care of in the Glorious Revolution. May God bless the memory of Dear King Billy and Queen Mary. [Angel]
An odd position for a Nonconformist to take. Your lot were persecuted almost as much as RCs under the Penal Laws.

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
quote:
quote:

An odd position for a Nonconformist to take. Your lot were persecuted almost as much as RCs under the Penal Laws.
If he doesn't mind me speaking for him, SPK is only a Nonconformist in part - and that part is mainly Methodism, which was not around at this time.

The main part of SPK's UCCan ancestry is the Church of Scotland - most definitely not nonconformist, but very much the National Church. And after all the trouble we non-bishop types went through under Charles II and James VII, King Billy's arrival on the scene was greeted with some understandable relief in the lowlands of Scotland. The Stuarts were a pest and a plague to us, and we were loyal to them longer than they deserved.

Ach, you have awoken the Covenanter in me. Tread softly, CL ... [Biased]

[ 11. April 2012, 23:25: Message edited by: Cottontail ]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who you callin' a Nonconformist? The Church of Scotland achieved its final settlement of Presbyterian polity through the Glorious Revolution and the Scottish Episcopalians were ejected.

Down south the Act of Toleration, 1689 did well for most things. In Scotland Anglicans were treated as Nonconformists.

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

For Christ's Crown and Convent! [Angel]

--------------------

otyetsfoma
Shipmate
# 12898

- Posted      Profile for otyetsfoma   Email otyetsfoma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Scottish Presbyterianism in Canada owes as much to Scottish non-conformity as to the Kirk. My presby ancestor came from the Secession (anti-burgher and auld licht) and thought the CofS minister in Halifax was "just as bad as the CofE". He founded churches throughout northern NS ,PEI and New Brunswick .
Posts: 842 | From: Edgware UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by otyetsfoma:
Scottish Presbyterianism in Canada owes as much to Scottish non-conformity as to the Kirk. My presby ancestor came from the Secession (anti-burgher and auld licht) and thought the CofS minister in Halifax was "just as bad as the CofE". He founded churches throughout northern NS ,PEI and New Brunswick .

Fair point - although once again, these splits happened quite a few years after the period in question. The Auld Lichters in particular identified strongly with the Covenanters.

Out of interest, the churches your ancestor founded - did they eventually work their way into the UCCan, or are their descendants more identified with the Presbyterian Church in Canada, for example?
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:For Christ's Crown and Convent! [Angel]
SPK - ahem! - Covenant! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Quam Dilecta
Shipmate
# 12541

- Posted      Profile for Quam Dilecta   Email Quam Dilecta       Edit/delete post 
In the United States, the Whig version of English history is still so dominant that efforts to include a commemoration of Charles I in the calendar of the Episcopal Church have thus far been unsuccessful. Just as one need not be a monk or a nun to recognize sanctity in the life of a religious, one need be a monarchist to recognize sanctity in the life of a king.

--------------------
Blessd are they that dwell in thy house

Posts: 406 | From: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

That CoS minister in Halifax was the minister of St. Matthew's United Church (as it is now), established 1754. It was originally a joint Congregationalist/Presbyterian endeavour too.

It's never that simple with Scots Presbyterians. The Presbyterian Church in Canada brought itself together in 1875. That ended the Great Disruption and in fact every other Disruption in Canada. There was only one Presbyterian Church in Canada from 1875 to 1925. The main components were the Auld Kirk and the Canada Presbyterian Church (=United Frees).

From 1875 to 1925 the PCC built a large number of churches which had no previous identity, in particular everything from Manitoba west.

The Church Union talks started in 1904 and went on hiatus during WWI. The Union question was sent down on Remit twice. 60% voted in favour both times. The Presbyterian Churchmen's Association was the main opposition group, the PCC senior leadership was pro-union.

The final result was that the Presbyterian Church in Canada merged into the United Church in 1925 as an organization but individual congregations could choose to stay out, they were the "Non-concurring Congregations." 70% went in, 30% stayed out. The common denominational property was split by Commission. The final General Assembly in Toronto at Bloor Street Presbyterian Church had an interesting end: 70% stayed seated and adjourned for the Inaugural Service the next day, 30% walked out, went round the corner to College St. Presbyterian Church and resumed as the General Assembly.

The Non-Concurrers fought tooth and nail to recover the title "Presbyterian Church in Canada"; the Supreme Court of Canada deemed that the United Church abandoned the title in 1925 and gave it to them in 1939.

The United Church of Canada's line of moderator terms is unbroken from the Presbyterian Church in Canada's. Very Rev. George Pidgeon served a standard two year term length, one year as PCC Moderator and one year as United Church of Canada Moderator.

We have been in Disruption in Canada since 1925.

--------------------

Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Quam Dilecta:
In the United States, the Whig version of English history is still so dominant that efforts to include a commemoration of Charles I in the calendar of the Episcopal Church have thus far been unsuccessful. Just as one need not be a monk or a nun to recognize sanctity in the life of a religious, one need be a monarchist to recognize sanctity in the life of a king.

But then why does PECUSA's calendar include Laud? I don't see much of a difference in their ideologies.

On the other side of the Atlantic, I found a proposed revision of the English Prayer Book, the one that eventually became the ill-fated 1928 edition. This earlier draft included the Royal Martyr, but apparently he was too controversial to have in the final proposal.

--------------------
IN SOVIET ЯUSSIA, SIGNATUЯE ЯEAD YOU!

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Warming Pan Baby (aka King James III) was much more saintly then his father and would have made a much better King if only Anne had seen sense

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Siegfried's comment upthread about the perennial nature of this topic prompted me to take a stroll around Oblivion. There are, in fact, any number of threads dedicated to SCKM stashed away in the Ship's attic. And it's interesting to note that they all tend to end up in similar tangents and polarizations as this thread (although this one has taken on a particularly Presbyterian flavour).

All of that being prelude to this hostly request:

This being Ecclesiantics, can we rein in the tangents and return to a discussion of liturgical observances related to King Charles? Thanks for your cooperation.

Mamacita, Eccles Host

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Anne's opinion was irrelevant, the Act of Settlement was in force.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:

You mean Covenant surely rather than Little Gidding?

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
Later 19th Century Anglo-Catholic romanticism and American-Bostonian elite romantic monarchism. That's all. Little to do with the Congregationalist, Yankee mercantile colonial bourgeois Boston that was a hotbead of revolutionary ferment in the second half of the 18th Century. There's a big historical gap between serious, austere John Adams and the affluent toffs of America's Gilded Age.

I did know that, LSK,. I was just being mischievous.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
quote:

You mean Covenant surely rather than Little Gidding?
Freudian slip, obviously. [Devil]

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016