homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Curacy support (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Curacy support
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a thread for those going through the discernment process, and a job support thread, but I wondered if anyone else would value a support thread for those of us awaiting invitation to first title parishes.
I've had my meeting with the Bishop and DDO and am now waiting for a letter. With so many in college already having been invited to consider a title parish I feeo very isolated. How are others coping?

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had my letter and it isn't good news as I'm in an exporting diocese and I'm in the process of being, um, exported. I know it isn't personal but it feels rubbish.

Hey ho...

I hope you hear soon Jante.

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear that Poppy. [Waterworks] I;m in an importing diocese under normal circumstances but something niggles at me that I amy be released.

--------------------

Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear both, speaking as one who started in his Title parish in 1978, I'm looking forward to following this thread and hearing how much better things are now than they were then....

If, as I suspect, How Things Really Are doesn't quite reflect How Things Are Supposed To Be, then maybe I can even offer some support as well? [Smile]

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was ordained in the 90's and I remember clearly the tension at the theological college at the start of the last year.

First of all, there were the smug so and sos who knew that they were being kept on by their sponsoring dioceses (usually because they were the ones who had been busily sucking up to their bishops for some time). These people were a real pain as they never missed an opportunity to remind you that they were sorted and that they really felt (in a condescending way) for anyone who hadn't got a post by the end of September.

Then there were the ones who were so particular about their requirements that they dismissed a number of possible posts for apparently no reason. It was too rural or too urban; it was not evangelical enough or not charismatic enough.

And as more and more people got places, those remaining to find anything became increasingly worried and even desperate.

I was in a strange position in that I was one of the first to be potentially placed, but the vicar of the parish was about to retire and so no final decision could be made until he had left, a new incumbent had been appointed and he had had a chance to meet me and decide if we could work together. So in the end, I was one of the LAST people to be finally sorted.

My advice (based on all I saw and experienced that year) would be as follows:

• Don't pay any attention to what anyone else is doing or saying.
  • Be prepared to move outside your comfort zone in terms of church tradition or geographical location (I know from countless conversations with DDOs across the country that unwillingness to be flexible is one of the biggest problems in placing curates.)
  • Look VERY CAREFULLY at the prospective training incumbent. If this relationship works, a curacy can be great fun, even for a townie in a rural group or an evangelical in an Aff-Cath parish. If the relationship doesn't work, everything else will be awful as well.
  • If you go to a parish that has a history of curacy posts, make sure that the parish doesn't have a predetermined idea of what you will do, based on "that's what the last curate did". You shouldn't be forced into a mould of someone else's making
  • Try and find out from existing curates in the diocese what they think of the way the diocese supports curates. Some dioceses are very good - others are worth avoiding like the plague.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

quote:

Don't pay any attention to what anyone else is doing or saying.
Be prepared to move outside your comfort zone in terms of church tradition or geographical location (I know from countless conversations with DDOs across the country that unwillingness to be flexible is one of the biggest problems in placing curates.)
Look VERY CAREFULLY at the prospective training incumbent. If this relationship works, a curacy can be great fun, even for a townie in a rural group or an evangelical in an Aff-Cath parish. If the relationship doesn't work, everything else will be awful as well.
If you go to a parish that has a history of curacy posts, make sure that the parish doesn't have a predetermined idea of what you will do, based on "that's what the last curate did". You shouldn't be forced into a mould of someone else's making
Try and find out from existing curates in the diocese what they think of the way the diocese supports curates. Some dioceses are very good - others are worth avoiding like the plague.

Thanks Oscar, I am willing to be flexible , though at the moment the problem is more not having anything to even consider. I have been told by my diocese that they intend to offer me something and I have chatted to current curates in the diocese who seem to be happy with their support. I suppose all I can do is be patient- something that the long journey here should have taught me.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stopping in to wave a hand and the promise of prayers, support, and any useful advice I can muster. This is an anxious time for those awaiting curacies, and a great time to mug up on the meaning of 'adiaphora'. The training incumbent is the all-important feature of the curacy. Where that works, everything else falls into place. While I'd agree with everything people have said about not being too fussy, I'd also FIRMLY emphasize the other side. Don't get so desperate that you agree to a curacy that feels all wrong. My first curacy was with someone who had written in to the Bishop every year asking for a curate, in the same way that a child begs for a pony every Christmas. And then a week after she finally gets one, decides that what she really wanted was a bicycle.
When you find your curacy, a working agreement is a good idea. Make sure it includes your saying the morning office together: that's something that cannot be assumed.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

- Posted      Profile for Bagpuss     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope you both get sorted Poppy and Jante [Votive]

I am SSM and have been very lucky to get sorted with a great incumbent very locally, not quite as high churchmanship as I would refer but as others have said there has to be compromise somewhere and the relationship is a priority, plus I figure the expereince of something slighty out of my comfort zone will do me good.

I have friends going through what you are at the moment in a diocese who seem to be ordaining half the county next Petertide - so I feel your pain.

The whole process is challenging enough without this bit too! xx

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd echo everything that has been said about the relationship with the incumbent. You don't have to be best friends, but you do have to want the relationship to work, and to do all that you can to make it so...both of you.

Churchmanship is probably less important, IMHO, as you will only be a curate for 3 - 4 years and it can be a good learning experience to be stretched in this area.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

Update- email from my DDO letting me know that title posts won't be offered before beginning of September so at least I now know. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other one I would say, as someone who works in a training parish, do take advantage of every opportunity. No, it may not be something you ever do again, and yes, you may hate every moment of it, but, really, it does not make you popular turning things down as 'not in your comfort zone' when you're there to learn and try new things.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrahamR
Shipmate
# 11299

- Posted      Profile for GrahamR   Author's homepage   Email GrahamR   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
I'd echo everything that has been said about the relationship with the incumbent. You don't have to be best friends, but you do have to want the relationship to work, and to do all that you can to make it so...both of you.

That's very true!

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
Churchmanship is probably less important, IMHO, as you will only be a curate for 3 - 4 years and it can be a good learning experience to be stretched in this area.

Less important, yes, but 3-4 years can be a very long time if you're too far out of a form of spirituality that actually feeds you as well...

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The other one I would say, as someone who works in a training parish, do take advantage of every opportunity. No, it may not be something you ever do again, and yes, you may hate every moment of it, but, really, it does not make you popular turning things down as 'not in your comfort zone' when you're there to learn and try new things.

Quite! Although, what you really need to do as a curate is learn ways of saying 'no' (at least to some stuff!) to both your incumbent and the congregation in ways that don't get people's backs up!

--------------------
My blog - theology, archaeology, science

Posts: 184 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

- Posted      Profile for Bagpuss     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My curacy was announced this weekend [Big Grin]
I'm sure the time will fly until next June.

GrahamR
Shipmate
# 11299

- Posted      Profile for GrahamR   Author's homepage   Email GrahamR   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Bagpuss!
[Votive] [Smile]

--------------------
My blog - theology, archaeology, science

Posts: 184 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you mean by 'announced' Bagpuss... do you mean, in the training parish itself?

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

[Yipee] for you Bagpuss so pleased to hear that you are sorted.

--------------------

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bagpuss:
My curacy was announced this weekend [Big Grin]
I'm sure the time will fly until next June.

Congrats!

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aside from any considerations of having to be further away from family and friends, I wouldn't be too worried about being in an exporting diocese. I was "exported" (to a neighbouring diocese) 19 years ago, and it couldn't have worked out better. My incumbent was simply the best priest I've ever worked with, and those three years were the happiest of my ministry. He taught me loads, and gave me the space to learn even more. He was gentle with my mistakes, but made sure I learned from them, too. He took the training element of the curacy seriously, but recognised (in a way my theological college never did) that I already had gifts and skills that I could use - including some that he didn't have.

That, I would humbly suggest, is the kind of incumbent to look for.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

Thanks Adeodatus,
Thats the kind of training incumbent I'm praying for! [Votive]

--------------------

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is encouraging Adeodatus and the neigbouring diocese does have a huge amount of postives. It is just the waiting that is getting to me as it feels as if everyone else has something sorted and I'm left like the kid that no one wanted on the team in school sports. I know this isn't how it is but it plays into some deep seated stuff as I was the kid that noone wanted in school sports!!

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We need a curate.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

I loved that cartoon when I saw it in the Church Times. I'd love to come to creamtealand again if wodnerful Derbyshire doesn't want me. [Smile]

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Poppy:
That is encouraging Adeodatus and the neigbouring diocese does have a huge amount of postives. It is just the waiting that is getting to me as it feels as if everyone else has something sorted and I'm left like the kid that no one wanted on the team in school sports. I know this isn't how it is but it plays into some deep seated stuff as I was the kid that noone wanted in school sports!!

Believe me, you're not that kid. My final year at college, I think one person only got a parish in about February. Only about half of us were fixed up at the beginning of our final year.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel deeply for all those who are waiting without any "posting" in sight.

Which makes me glad of the Methodist system.

You are guaranteed a placement upon completion of training regardless.

It may be many a mile from where you live / trained/ want to be /

but you are accepted / valued/ and "stationed" and after that initial posting all is an open possibility nation-wide.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

quote:
Originally posted by Birdseye:
What do you mean by 'announced' Bagpuss... do you mean, in the training parish itself?

Yes, was announced in my home parish and the 2 churches in the joint benefice where I am going.

However, I am VERY aware that I am the only person on my training course who has even recieved a suggestion from the Bishop let alone got it all sorted, but it is early. However, that doesn't stop the frustration for my friends.

Birdseye

# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Righto, thanks... just wondering how that bit takes place, it's all very hush-hush before that innit!

--------------------
a birdseye view

Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

quote:
Righto, thanks... just wondering how that bit takes place, it's all very hush-hush before that innit!

LOL yep, basically I got a letter from the Bishop suggesting where they would like me to go. I contacted the vicar, met up, met the churchwardens, toured the churches etc. Both went away for a while to pray and think about it and spoke to each other to say we were both happy to go ahead.

Slightly off tnagent - bemused thought - it's almost like a carefully arranged marriage by the bishop!

Then I got a formal letter of offer from vicar with Bishop's chaplain copied in, I accepted formally - likewise with copying in and then diocese told us when we could announce it and it was done on the same day in my home parish and new training parish. [Eek!] [Eek!]

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

LOL yep, basically I got a letter from the Bishop suggesting where they would like me to go. I contacted the vicar, met up, met the churchwardens, toured the churches etc. Both went away for a while to pray and think about it and spoke to each other to say we were both happy to go ahead.

Slightly off tnagent - bemused thought - it's almost like a carefully arranged marriage by the bishop!

:

The whole UK Methodist stationing system is based on this arranged marriage approach - though after the first appointment (where you are sent and no veto) you do get to see the vacancies and express an interest/preference.

ETA - the deacons are always sent.

[ 06. September 2011, 07:14: Message edited by: Avila ]

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praying for all those who are waiting on tenterhooks: keep your nerve.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
quote:
quote:

:

The whole UK Methodist stationing system is based on this arranged marriage approach - though after the first appointment (where you are sent and no veto) you do get to see the vacancies and express an interest/preference.

ETA - the deacons are always sent.

The Baptists operate more like a dating agency. Names and details of final year students looking for a church are passed on. The church will then pray over them and contact the student if they want to take it further. (There's more about the whole process in my blog if anyone's interested).

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my husband was in this situation, he was one of the very last in his college to be fixed up. First the bishop sent him to look at a well-known training parish in his sponsoring diocese, without checking to see that all concerned were in agreement over OofW - they weren't, so that was the end of that, and he was released.

Then he was invited to go and look at a parish in Wales, and the incumbent was thrilled to have him at the interview, but then the bishop (a different bishop) stepped in and said, "No, they don't need a curate, I need you to go somewhere else" - this, without actually being my husband's bishop, mind! In all good faith we went and looked round, but the house was appalling, and when we pointed this out, the bishop got a bit cross and made some nasty comments about my husband's vocation being related to how the nice the accommodation was. So we departed a long way from that diocese, and so the college principal pulled out his shoebox-full of hopeful training parishes, and said 'Try this one,' so we did.

We went and looked the following Sunday, and went for it. That was mid-March, I believe.

Now it's my turn, but I am in Wales, so I am waiting to be told!

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Birdseye

# 5280

Argh! That all sounds horrendously scary!

--------------------
a birdseye view

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

Still waiting to hear from the diocese, despite learning yesterday that another training praish in the diocese has been in discussions with a prospective curate for 6 weeks!
[Disappointed]

--------------------

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

Oh poor you [Waterworks]

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

Six weeks is a long time. What are they dickering over, I wonder.

Keep your cool. It's still pretty early in the game. If this were Lent you'd have some reason to be a bit worried.

--------------------

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

Thnaks Poppy and Amos, had an meeting with our principal this morning and on his advice have emailed the Bishop.

--------------------

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

Update a parish profile was emailed from the Bishop's office this morning. Now awaiting a call back from the incumbent to arrange a visit.
Thanks for all the encouragement and prayers [Yipee]

--------------------

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

Oh how exciting!!!

--------------------

Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know in Wales you are Told and that's basically it, but I get the impression that the decision is made entirely without asking what an ordinand thinks. The bishop meets with the archdeacons, and the DDO, but none of these good folk, as far as I'm aware, will actually want to meet with me at any point. I'm a bit worried that I will be just filling a slot to be an extra pair of hands, TBH.

The fact that half the clerics of my deanery, and the next nearest well-known training parish are anti-women is no help either...

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

Oh dear - sounds tricky.

I'm not in a good place right now as the parish I've been to see seems to want something else in terms of age profile, experience, churchmanship etc, etc and I think that it will be a no from them.

So back into curate clearing [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

[Votive] Poppy.
Looked out for you last night but didn't see you

--------------------

Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

[Votive] Poppy - I hope it all sorts itself out. Hopefully it isn't just the diocese and God has a hand in there somewhere too [Big Grin]
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know someone looking for a curate, who i dont think has done much yet. I hope he finds someone as good as you lot for next year!

(wanted to give you all hope)

[Votive]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

Ferijen [Big Grin]

--------------------

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

National curate clearing has now started and there is something that looks hopeful. So what are good questions to ask when looking around a possible title post?

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Poppy:
National curate clearing has now started and there is something that looks hopeful. So what are good questions to ask when looking around a possible title post?

My training incumbent used to say that most clergy fall into one of two categories - workaholic or bone idle! Perhaps you could ask which category the incumbent would consider themselves to be in! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I asked mine what he considered his worst failing to be...he was very honest, and I found out in the course of time that he was spot on!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it very frustrating to read posts on here about people wanting to be curates and finding it difficult to get a placement - because in my diocese the story is that there is a shortage of trainee priests and that is the reason why churches are not being given curates at the moment. I can't help wondering whether it is really all about money? (And if it is, I'd rather they were honest.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

It is all about money, Chorister. There are plenty of ordinands in 'exporting' dioceses who would be delighted to serve their titles in one of the parishes of Creamtealand.

Re. Questions while visiting parish: The questions you ask should be real questions: things you actually want to know. The most important question is, as I've said earlier, the character and priestliness of the training incumbent. You can't find out about that by direct questioning, but can attend to it in all kinds of other ways, just as you would if you were meeting anyone and deciding whether they would make a good friend/teacher/whatever. Pay attention to the questions YOU are asked, and what is said about the parish, and the general attitude to God, the Church, and people which it displays. I know of someone who was told in such an interview: 'We have two requirements for curates in this benefice. That they wear black shoes and don't get married.' He went elsewhere. Find out if they say the Morning Office together.

PS I would be suspicious of anyone who thought the principal division within the clergy was between the workaholic and the bone idle. It isn't.

[ 10. November 2011, 12:33: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

It is a wierd process as it is both a job interview and discerning where God is in all of this. Thanks for the suggestions.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016