homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The world is my oyster

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The world is my oyster
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all,

I find myself in the enviable position of wanting to go away this year (to celebrate the end of my twenties) and some pennies to spend on a nice holiday/trip (We're based in the UK).

I love nice, hot weather but don't really want a 'normal' beach holiday. I want to do something special!

What would you do? I'm spoilt for choice!

Jen

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How adventurous do you want to be, how many vaccines are you prepared to have and are you willing to travel to places with endemic malaria?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
good questions.

I have no issue with malaria tablets, have had the yellow fever vaccine but it's a bit difficult to go to anywhere where my partners disabilities (not mobility related) are too much of an issue.

I/we don't do mountain biking, too long hikes or too sporty activity. We have a liking for geological features (me) and classical stuff (greeks/romans/egyptians etc - him).

I had thought Iceland, but my actual birthday is June and I want some darkness at night!

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you like cities or wilderness? or something in between?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:
We have a liking for geological features (me) and classical stuff (greeks/romans/egyptians etc - him).

Some places come to mind which would combine the two, but since my flatmate went to the likes of Petra (and came back raving about it), the region may have become a trifle too hot for casual travel...

What about Turkey?
Istanbul is brilliant all round (I can testify to that myself); also, there are lots of classical sites on the coast, and geology and pre-classical stuff inland. Plus warm weather.

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about Sicily? It's no more dominated by organised crime than Nice or Venice (or London I suspect). Lots of culture but Palermo's not the nicest of places.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
aren't there some nifty volcanic sites in the greek isles? that could give you old ruins AND geologic candy.

also - consider the big island of Hawai'i if you dig geology. not a lot of "classics" in the european sense, though. maybe Japan? fascinating geology AND a fascinating human history.

of course, if you're REALLY into geology, consider coming up here. yeah, yeah, it's a long way. and there's not much in the way of visual human history (we build with wood. wood rots.) but you can't beat the mountains, glaciers, hot springs, volcanoes, and earthquakes.

not to mention the wildlife. of the human and non-human variety.

as for hot - it's all relative, but contrary to popular belief we do hot. high 80's F here, high 90's F in the interior. there is a lot of light, yes, but you deal with that. not as hard as you think with a little pre-planning. if you do choose Iceland or another polar spot, let me know and I'll give you some pointers about the light thing.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... We have a liking for geological features ... I had thought Iceland ...

My thoughts exactly - I wouldn't let the perpetual daylight stop you. Mind you, the times I was there were once in December (hardly any daylight at all) and once in February (not much).

Didn't stop them being the best holidays we've ever had. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... love nice, hot weather but don't really want a 'normal' beach holiday. ...We have a liking for geological features...

Come to Arizona! We have more hot weather than you can shake a stick at, but no beach. You want geological features.. we've got the world's most beautiful!

And we've got friendly Shipmates here and next door in New Mexico, who'd love to show meet you!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Machu Picchu

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell. Yes.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Top End ... Kakadu, Lichfield, Uluru, Humpty Doo, all waiting for you

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The two places I'd been that I first thought of in answer to your question were Iceland and Turkey. In the light of others' comments I'd also recommend Iceland.

The flight is not exhaustingly long and there are sites where it's really like being on another planet (see here).

Hotels are fitted with blackout blinds so assuming you can sleep, you won't notice it's not dark once in your room.

From Keflavik airport, take the coach transfer to the Blue Lagoon geothermal pools for a relaxing bathe after your flight (they look after your luggage) and then let them take you on to a hotel in Rekjavik.

There's lots to see and do within easy reach of Rekjavik and/or a day's drive. If you're content to stick to the main road (singular) and larger secondary roads, you'll be fine with a regular car, otherwise a 4WD is recommended.

Alternatively, fly to the north and visit Akureyri and the region bordering the Arctic circle. If the weather's good, the flight, on a small plane, is a great way to see the less hospitable interior from above.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to agree with Zappa in as much as the top end of Australia is loaded with geological features, Uluru, Kakadu national park, devils marbles, the olgas, kings canyon, Katherine Gorge and the list goes on. It is slightly less well endowed (I may be understating a little here) with any classical Greek or Roman features....although the rock art in Kakadu is some of the oldest on the planet.

Malta is a great place with heaps of history, you can go snorkelling or scuba diving and see coral and there are some cool geological features on the island of Gozo, including great fossils. I had a great time in Malta and the weather would be fab in June/July.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the influx of Syrian refugees into Turkey and the recent firing into a refugee camp just inside the country, I'd probably not plan a Turkish holiday too far ahead just now while it's all still rumbling on: it hasn't come to a head yet.

I'd suggest Italy instead. You get all the Roman stuff, some stunning scenery, great food and wine, and you can do the major cities by train with a rail pass. Pompeii also has a railway station.

How much heat do you want? Italy can be blistering in summer, as can anywhere in the Med.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard some good things about Sardinia. I'd really like to go there one day.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seconding Turkey. You want classical sites? You got 'em. You want fabulous geology? You got it. Fabulous place [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All those are good suggestions - although I have to admit the advent of Google and the like have been a life changing experience. Instead of the queues, fumbling for passports, injections, bag searches, cancelled flights, packing and everything else that goes with a holiday, just type in the ocuntry and area of choice and you can see it on screen. Just sigh 'ah great! now been there!' and you have also saved the money.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turkey, yes.

Macchu Picchu I found completely underwhelming. Although the mountains were nice. Otherwise, Peru is great. Combine it with a yacht trip around the Galapagos.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
All those are good suggestions - although I have to admit the advent of Google and the like have been a life changing experience. Instead of the queues, fumbling for passports, injections, bag searches, cancelled flights, packing and everything else that goes with a holiday, just type in the ocuntry and area of choice and you can see it on screen. Just sigh 'ah great! now been there!' and you have also saved the money.

it ain't the same as being in a place.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
BalddudePeekskill
Shipmate
# 12152

- Posted      Profile for BalddudePeekskill   Email BalddudePeekskill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd suggest Sicily too. The ruins at Agrigento and Selinunte are stunning; the salt 'farms' at Mozia, Mont'erice....tons of history and lots of interesting antiquities as well...and we sicilians are very very nice folks as well, and will be thrilled that you've chosen our island.

--------------------
Christos Aneste

Posts: 308 | From: Peekskill, NY | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd certainly second Petra, and for at least two days if not longer. However, unless you're happy to travel about quite a lot to other places and/or have friendly 'locals' (we went out to visit friends who worked with the FO) it's not enough for a holiday on its own. And tours seem to be of the "half a day here, half a day there" variety.

We were lucky enough to have two days in Petra, an overnight stay in Wadi Rum, and also see a few other more every day places, and to be able to do so in the company of good friends. Makes a world of difference!

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd third Sicily: I think Mozia is one of the few places you can see Etruscan remains that haven't had half a dozen other civilisations piled on top. Plus the view from Erice ( you can go up in a cable car from Trapani) is worth the price of admission in itself.

Noto, unfortunately, is mostly under scaffolding these days, in an attempt to conserve the limestone carvings, and the ruins of Noto Antica are pretty well lost in undergrowth now. But if you want to see the most impressive evidence of what an earthquake can do, it's worth going to the original Poggioreale. Whole streets look eerily intact, until you look through the doorways. The place reminds me of a china bowl that has been struck and completely crazed, but holds its shape although shattered. And the thing that struck it was the Earth.

And of course Etna is very impressive, and usually just a little bit lively.

Plus the food is wonderful, and it's the home of Marsala - what more do you want?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thera

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apropos Sicily, if you want a bit of home from home, for the British anyway, you can get the ferry to Malta and spend a day or three there. The best crossings take about 90 minutes from Pozzallo.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for Turkey - Marvin's photos made me sigh, been to both of those and there are dozens more similar places to visit. There's also a decent coast, of course. Prices are reasonable and the people are friendly and hospitable, and we always felt safe. I'm a great fan of the Greek islands myself, nuff sed.

My daughter was in Iceland last year and took some breathtaking photos, but it's not cheap, and quite limited if you're not into schlepping about ruggedly! But she loved it and will be going back.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Firenze mentioned Etna, and it (she?) is erupting again.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about a cruise around the aegean? Plenty of stopping off points with lots to see, plenty of relaxing days on deck if you don't feel like going ashore. Good medical facilities on all the ships I have been on, as far as I have tested them.
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't pass up the temptation to be a parody of myself and recommend Detroit. [Two face]

Of course, if anyone ever finds themselves going there for any reason, I can recommend things to do and see, but even I wouldn't try to convince someone with the world for an oyster to go to Detroit. Although it would be pretty funny.

Sadly, I'm not well-traveled enough to make any serious suggestions. But were the world my oyster...wow, that is a tough one!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for the Grand Canyon, get up early sit on the canyon edge and wait for the sun to rise. While you are there a visit to Brice Canyon and Zion Canyon in Utah should be fitted in.

Try Madeira. There are no beaches, and not much sea bathing, but the whole island is a garden paradise. When God made Eden he was only practising. Madeira is the finished article.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New Zealand - I visited the South Island only for a week which was nowhere near long enough and am planning to go back sometime soon for a proper visit of all of it. I think everything you might enjoy is there -- if you want company I'm available. [Biased]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are a fan of the romanesque rather than the Roman (although there are a number of classical sites), you might find the northern route of the Camino to Santiago to be of interest. It has the advantage of being less crowded than the main drag into Santiago and, at the end of every day, you end up in a small coastal town with a beach and some very good restaurants. There is no need (unless you'd rather) to bunk with the Bavarians in the pilgrims' hostels, as there is plenty of other accommodation along the route. It is easily reached from the UK, with ferries into Santander, and flights into Bayonne, just over the border from France, or Bilbao.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
New Zealand - I visited the South Island only for a week which was nowhere near long enough and am planning to go back sometime soon for a proper visit of all of it. I think everything you might enjoy is there -- if you want company I'm available. [Biased]

New Zealand would be a fabulous place to visit. I have the impression, anyway, that it's a postcard everywhere you look. I'm not sure I could handle such a long flight there myself, though!

ETA: I've been trying to remember the last place I've thought I'd really like to go if I ever could. I remember now - Moscow! Only to be able to visit the Virgin of Vladimir icon and Rublev's Trinity icon which are both at
A friend of mine visited Croatia a while back (early '00s) and rather enjoyed it. Anyone else have experience there? I hear it's beautiful, and there's quite a bit of history - and probably not a ton of tourists. this museum (but in a church connected with the museum, thankfully!).

[ 15. April 2012, 03:59: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

OOPS! Sorry, I meant THIS museum!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
South India. Disabilities catered to... history, geology.

New Zealand. Definitely. I was there Last year for three weeks. If I were 25 years younger, I'd move there.

Even to Christchurch.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

Oooh, Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Turkey - This probably isn't going to happen as my sister lived there for a couple of years - my holiday would quickly become hers/a lecture on why we weren't doing it right.. ( [Roll Eyes] - maybe in a few years)

Sicily - good idea, although I just told stoo Etna was erupting and he went a bit pale [Big Grin] will certainly investigate this further.

Japan - just doesn't appeal for some reason. Nor a cruise, but good idea, certainly memorable.

Alaska - YES!! I'd love to! again, will investigate further. ditto Hawai'i.

Australia and NZ - yeah, I'd love this but want to give it more planning and more time than I probably have available this year (at least 5 weeks...)

Thanks so much everyone so far!

Jen

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016