homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Affirming Laudianism

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Affirming Laudianism
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having just read 'All Glory, Laud and Honour' by Graham Parry (2006) about the Counter-Reformation in the CofE in the period 1620-40, and the development and use of the arts and reverence in worship and architecture during this brief period before the vile destructiveness of the 17thC Taliban tendency of English puritanism, have any shipmates discovered the website 'Affirming Laudianism' with its hilarious take off of the contemporary church?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always assumed that the site was serious.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this was about supporting giving laudanum to children to get them to sleep. Which, of course, I am fully in support of, little brats.

Ah well.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No the site is not serious, it is by a shipmate, he used to have several similar sites but as he is a parish priest, so I do not expect him to be along shortly.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I thought this was about supporting giving laudanum to children to get them to sleep. Which, of course, I am fully in support of, little brats.

Ah well.

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

I have always felt the same way, especially in public venues.

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a link for the lazy.

(You're welcome)

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly the picture portraying naughty continental religion has disappeared from the site and I can no longer recall exactly what it was -- possibly something being done at St Silas Kentish Town. Does anyone recall?
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Affirming Calvinism anyone? [Snigger]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Affirming Calvinism anyone?
You know, that's exactly what my fellow theologians at this Roman Catholic seminary I am attending accuse me of doing when I cite Saint Paul or Augustine? It's happened multiple times.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Here is a link for the lazy.

(You're welcome)

[Smile]

Thank you Boogie
That was brilliant!!

'Old wineskins'....

[Killing me]

And having watched an Easter Service from King's College Cambridge, I was horrified to see there were no altar rails, although in all other respects the service was excellent
I think the ghost of the late Archbishop might have something to say about that!!! [Two face]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Cambridge hated Laud and his reforms. Laud was an Oxford man.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a member of a notoriously Laudian Cambridge college, which had its chapel trashed by the Puritans for its trouble, I would dissent from that statement.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Generalizations are just that. Laud caused the most trouble when he, as archbishop, asserted pastoral oversight on the university's curriculum. The tantrums on both sides were so severe that the king had to intervene.

Zach

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All glory, Laud and honour.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Or, "Give great glory to God, and little Laud to the devil."

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

...er, I don't think so.

--------------------
sebhyatt

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

...er, I don't think so.

--------------------
sebhyatt

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The site was pretty funny. I have not been over there for a bit. Personally I prefer my Laudianism non-affirming, hence the title of my blog.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure Purgatory is the right home for this thread (though I did enjoy the link).

Taking soundings with other Hosts.

I think it's Heavenly, but I suppose it could turn Hellish as well! It's even got a few Ecclesiantical undertones.. Plus we're not normally in the business of importing the contents of other websites as a prime topic of discussion anywhere.

(So it might well stay here).

Meanwhile, please continue to enjoy.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
I have always assumed that the site was serious.

No, the seriousness can be found on our Ecclesiantics board.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hehe!!!
.....which is where this thread will end up,probably [Biased]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
.. Maybe, but not immediately. Admin tend to go along with the view that Heaven is better, since this is quite a nice bit of whimsy but not much scope for serious discussion.

So up you go, and continue to enjoy.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
Affirming Calvinism anyone?
You know, that's exactly what my fellow theologians at this Roman Catholic seminary I am attending accuse me of doing when I cite Saint Paul or Augustine? It's happened multiple times.

Zach

Oh dear. I thought we'd settled all that fuss.

What happens when you use the longer version of the Lord's Prayer? Klaxons, the sprinkler alarm goes off, a confessor ropes down from the ceiling to correct your error?

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
Having just read 'All Glory, Laud and Honour' by Graham Parry (2006) about the Counter-Reformation in the CofE in the period 1620-40, and the development and use of the arts and reverence in worship and architecture during this brief period before the vile destructiveness of the 17thC Taliban tendency of English puritanism, have any shipmates discovered the website 'Affirming Laudianism' with its hilarious take off of the contemporary church?

The site has been around for quite a while and is funny; I would agree that the book is interesting even if the author tends to go on a bit about glassmakers. But, Sebby, isn't 'Taliban tendency' a bit tendentious for a heavenly discussion? The puritan iconoclasts were not a particularly attractive bunch; they certainly sought to impose their ideas of worship, church decoration and the like on on those who disagreed with those ideas. Yet my reading of the period, various histories and a couple of biographies of Laud (including the one by Trevor-Roper which probably tells one as much about the author as its subject) suggests that Laud was a rather fussy chap who sought to impose his ideas of worship, church decoration and the like on on those who disagreed with those ideas.... In that, the dispassionate observer would come to the conclusion that there was little to choose between Laud and Dowsing et al. As tolerance was not a 17th century virtue, each behaved as they did. Laud of course went on to make the fatal mistake of trying to impose his ideas on the Scots, which folly cost him - and his royal master (Charles King and Martyr, forsooth!) their heads.

My mental picture of Laud is not of a dislikeable man, but rather a 17th century clerical equivalent of Captain Mainwaring. A pity there was never a film based on his life, the main character played by Arthur Lowe ...
[Two face]

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Oh dear. I thought we'd settled all that fuss.

What happens when you use the longer version of the Lord's Prayer? Klaxons, the sprinkler alarm goes off, a confessor ropes down from the ceiling to correct your error?

Neh, they just get all defensive about their Rahner and liberation theology is all. If anything, I'm the one out to correct dread heresy with the Gospel Truth. [Biased]

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metapelagius:
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:

The site has been around for quite a while and is funny; I would agree that the book is interesting even if the author tends to go on a bit about glassmakers. But, Sebby, isn't 'Taliban tendency' a bit tendentious for a heavenly discussion? The puritan iconoclasts were not a particularly attractive bunch; they certainly sought to impose their ideas of worship, church decoration and the like on on those who disagreed with those ideas. Yet my reading of the period, various histories and a couple of biographies of Laud (including the one by Trevor-Roper which probably tells one as much about the author as its subject) suggests that Laud was a rather fussy chap who sought to impose his ideas of worship, church decoration and the like on on those who disagreed with those ideas.... In that, the dispassionate observer would come to the conclusion that there was little to choose between Laud and Dowsing et al.

Well, except that Laud was right. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Where's a milk stool when you need one?

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metapelagius:
Laud was a rather fussy chap who sought to impose his ideas of worship, church decoration and the like on on those who disagreed with those ideas

for that very reason he should be compulsory reading for all theologs

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When it comes to High Churchmen of the 17th and 18th centuries I am usually more at home with the more pastoral figures such as Bishop Wilson of Sodor and Man than I am with legislators like Laud. Wilson would give somethings to local custom, such as allowing folk to stand to receive communion if they scrupled to kneel, but he also imposed church discipline rigorously. You can still visit the Bishop's Prison within Peel Castle. If you are 5'10" and about 230lbs it is a tight fit to get in and out of there!

Lancelot Andrewes also appeals to me due to his gentle spirit and wry attitude to the somewhat wooden royalism of theological counterparts Neile and Buckeridge.

I am sure, though, that some of my clergy think I most closely resemble a certain 19th century High Churchman - 'Harry of Exeter' - due my uncompromising attitude when riled.

PD

[ 10. April 2012, 06:47: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

I can't remember the exact quote, but didn't C.V.Wedgwood say something along the lines that Laud was a 'tidier and setter-up in order' than a true reformer?

Ah,yes, PD - 'that fiend the Bishop of Exeter' I believe Queen Victoria once said......

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

Sorry to double post but with regard to the older divines one could mention John Donne, whose meditation beginning with 'No man is an island' still speaks I think to the circumstances of today

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

I seem to remember reading that John Donne ended up a High Church Calvinist - not an uncommon combination at the time - when he got over being a Papist. Of course, the best known of the High Church Calvinists are Whitgift and to a lesser extent Bancroft, and they sort of represent the 'Anglican orthodoxy' of the 1590s/1600s. Laud represented the new thinking coming in to the C of E through renewed study of the Eastern Fathers initiated by Andrewes, Baro, and Barrett.

PD

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I seem to remember reading that John Donne ended up a High Church Calvinist - not an uncommon combination at the time - when he got over being a Papist.

That would describe Cranmer, Jewel & Hooker as well--and, I would argue, to a lesser extent most of the Carolines too.

--------------------

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

Hmmm... not sure I would go that far. The language used by Cosin, for example, is often Calvinistic, but their content on the key doctrines of TULIP is not.

I would tend to use the epithet 'moderate Reformed' to describe Cranmer, Jewel and Parker. I tend to see them as not being quite Calvinist, but there is no denying the influence of Calvin and Bucer, but you do not get the distinctives of the later 'hard Reformed' position emerging until the later 1560s.

The Vestarian Controversy is traditionally held up as being the moment when the Anglican and Puritan positions split, but, in all honesty, that was essentially a row within Reformed theology. I have some suspicion that Whitgift was a more uncompromising Calvinist than Cartwright, but that is obscured by their attitude to worship and church order where Whitgift is the uncompromising episcopalian and Cartwright the uncompromising presbyterian.

I do not see a distinctive Anglican theological tradition appearing until about 1600.

PD

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course they aren't TULIP, TULIP did not exist. It really was not even formulated to 1619, so why would anyone prior to that use the formula. It is a specific Reformed formulation in a specific historical circumstances* and has about as much to do with being a good Dutchman as being a Calvinist. You can be Reformed and Calvinist and not TULIP.

Jengie

*Statements of the faith in the Reformed tradition are always contextual

[ 12. April 2012, 19:40: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Of course they aren't TULIP, TULIP did not exist. It really was not even formulated to 1619, so why would anyone prior to that use the formula. It is a specific Reformed formulation in a specific historical circumstances* and has about as much to do with being a good Dutchman as being a Calvinist. You can be Reformed and Calvinist and not TULIP.

Jengie

I was all set to post something that would have been a complete cross-post with this! Thanks.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I seem to remember reading that John Donne ended up a High Church Calvinist - not an uncommon combination at the time - when he got over being a Papist. Of course, the best known of the High Church Calvinists are Whitgift and to a lesser extent Bancroft, and they sort of represent the 'Anglican orthodoxy' of the 1590s/1600s. Laud represented the new thinking coming in to the C of E through renewed study of the Eastern Fathers initiated by Andrewes, Baro, and Barrett.

PD

Or ++Usher - the man who by the most meticulous scholarship showed that the Creation was in 4004 BC. From memory, he found the actual date to be 23 September. He also found that the preparations began at 3 pm the preceding day*. Usher's theology was pure Calvinism, and he wrote extensively against Arminius and his followers.

Certainly the predominant element in the theology of Bancroft and Whitgift was Calvinist. I'd never heard that of Donne, though. And most definitely not of Hooker - his line of descent was Luther.

* If you think about this, it means that work was done on what was about to become the Sabbath!

[ 12. April 2012, 22:13: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Burn them. Burn them all.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Jengie

Clarification - I was referring to the Caroline Divines most of whom were active after the TULIP formulation was aound and also rejected it. Lancelot Andrewes, who is sort of reckoned as the father of the Caroline theological position was at Dort and took an an TULIP position.

Cosin (1594-1672) is a particularly pertinent example in this case as he remained 'Reformed' on many points, including being a Rceptionist in the Eucharistic theology and counselling his fellow English Churchmen resident in France to Communicate in the French Reformed Church.

As you say, Reformed Confessions do need their context, and I was trying to distinguish between the Carolines who were post-Dort, and the moderate Reformed theology of their predecessors during the reign of Elizabeth.

PD

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

No by contextual I mean intended to state the faith as perceived in a specific time and place. Reformed statements are not universal pronouncements. That is what the divines were doing when they produced the statements.

This is an older tradition than all the statements cited as definitive. It meant that John Calvin in Geneva could teach the faith differently from Huldrych Zwingli in Zurich and there would be difficulties.

The Reformed tradition thus has never been univocal.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

hosting

Fluff, dears, fluff. [Roll Eyes]

/ hosting

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have googled TULIP and seen many colourful pictures of Dutch flowers.

Can someone tell me what it means in this context?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Right it is a formulation of the Calvinism produced by the Synod of Dort in response to the Five Remonstances and an explanation of it can be found at Wikipedia. It is perhaps worth saying that Calvin almost certainly would not have accepted TULIP ( I forget which point is out but one clearly is). There was also a lot of politics in this decision, and Arminius was a Calvinist by today's standards.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016