homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Grapefruit and pineapple

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Grapefruit and pineapple
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It emerged around our dining table today that three members of our family having difficulty telling apart grapefruit and pineapples.

I mean, we can all see they are two different fruit, but we have trouble remembering which is called which - some of us in English and some of us in French. I'm one of them - I know which is which in French but I often have to stop and think in English despite it being my native language.

Does anyone else suffer from this affliction? Can anybody explain the possible reasons? Or do you experience other, similarly inexplicable confusion between two nouns?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can understand a non-native English speaker confusing the two because they both contain the name of an unrelated fruit in their names; it just seems like a mnemonic that could easily backfire. "Pamplemousse" (French for Grapefruit) is just a fun word to say, so I always remember it. I had to look up pineapple (anana), and I have to admit that I would have ended up being surprised if I ordered that at a restaurant and didn't end up with a banana. Pineapple juice has always been my favorite juice, and I have always detested grapefruit juice (even though I enjoy the fruit itself), so I am rather unlikely to confuse the two.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, for remembering in English, a pineapple looks a little like a pinecone. And a grapefruit doesn't. And a grapefruit, grown on a tree, looks almost nothing like a grape being large, round, and yellow/blush.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
And a grapefruit, grown on a tree, looks almost nothing like a grape being large, round, and yellow/blush.

Yet, they grow in clusters, like grapes do! [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But I imagine they make crap wine. [Razz]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard otherwise from many folks! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It surprised and upset me to discover that pineapple juice has one of the nastiest, immovable stains I've ever come across. As for grapefruit it does not mix well with a whole heap of medications, including some contraceptive pilss and some blood pressure meds.

Huia - supplier of irrelevant and useless information. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

Scary! [Eek!] [Ultra confused]

I'll stick to making greyhounds. They are damned good when made with fresh-squeezed, pink or red grapefruit juice.

Ingredients:

2 oz Vodka
5 oz Grapefruit Juice

Directions:

Pour vodka and grapefruit juice into a highball glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well, and serve. Slurp!

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grapefruit juice does all sorts of nasty (or helpful!) things to medications, but it does wonderful things to alcohol; I've heard at least one bartender recommend it as a way to fix any drink. It's bitter, so it blends with the alcohol, but has sweetness to cover over other mistakes, and tartness to contrast with them; it's like salt, but for booze.
As for pineapple, the only thing I've ever confused it with, linguistically speaking, is a banana; when ordering gelato, the word for "pineapple" (pineapple gelato is delicious with frutti di bosco) is very similar to the Italian word for "banana." Forget the "b" at the beginning (easy to do when your brain's in Italian Mode), and your delicious flavor combination is wrecked.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most illuminating.

Although it occurs in both languages in our bilingual household, it's not a language problem. It's fleeting a moment of aphasia when confronted with the fruit, thinking 'what's this one called, again?' or alternatively, when somebody says the word, wondering which of the two fruit it is. I'm pretty sure I've mistakenly ordered pineapple juice when I've meant grapefruit juice.

And yes, I've had to double-check I've got those the right way round just posting there.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
it just seems like a mnemonic that could easily backfire. "Pamplemousse" (French for Grapefruit) is just a fun word to say, so I always remember it.

I suspect it is linguistic but inter-linguistic not French or English

Pineapple
Pamplemousse

at least to my phonetically strange hearing have similiar sounds, so the mind is linking on sound across languages wrongly.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'll stick to making greyhounds. They are damned good when made with fresh-squeezed, pink or red grapefruit juice.

Ingredients:

2 oz Vodka
5 oz Grapefruit Juice

Directions:

Pour vodka and grapefruit juice into a highball glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well, and serve. Slurp!

I prefer gin with my grapefruit juice.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Actually I think Og might have it here:
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
they both contain the name of an unrelated fruit in their names

That would be the kind of thing to derail me, at least.

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

You should speak to
Steely Dan about this!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
poileplume
Shipmate
# 16438

- Posted      Profile for poileplume   Email poileplume   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The English tend to confuse bras (arm) and jambe (leg) when speaking french.

An english friend told me that his mother welcoming a French delegation in her bad french meant to say « For the French, my arms are always open », no prizes for guessing what she actually said.

The french president of the delegation replied that he had previoulsy beleived that the english were boring, he had now changed his mind.

--------------------
Please note I am quite severely dyslexic

Posts: 319 | From: Quebec | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never confused those particular words in French or English, but a few years ago I was trying to explain to a puzzled lifeguard that I thought my daughter had been stung by a "nenuphare" which I was fairly sure was the word for "jellyfish".
When I checked in the dictionary back at the gite, I discovered "nenuphare" means "waterlily". [Hot and Hormonal]

(It was a weaverfish actually - nasty little things, common in Brittany; they lurk in damp sand and stick spines in your feet. Beware any beaches that the locals inexplicably avoid as that may be the reason!)

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

Ingredients:

2 oz Vodka
5 oz Grapefruit Juice

Directions:

Moo

If g-fruit juice & vodka is a greyhound, what is gin & g-fruit juice called?

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

I'm not much of a gin drinker, but gin and fresh grapefruit juice actually sounds appealing.

--------------------

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't do this with pinapple and grapefruit, but I do get words mixed up all the time.

My brain often does it with certain names, for instance Pauline and Barbara, I often call people Pauline when their name is Barbara and vice versa!

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been confused by pineapple and grapefruit, though why grapefruit doesn't taste like grapes is annoying. Basically I like pineapple (even if I hate preparing it [brick wall] ) and don't like grapefruit (or any citrus for that matter, plus I'm on one of those meds that interacts with grapefruit - WTF is that about?).

I don't so much have an issue with confusing words as I have with forgetting words all together. That is very annoying when trying to have a conversation.

--------------------
I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am going

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
My brain often does it with certain names, for instance Pauline and Barbara, I often call people Pauline when their name is Barbara and vice versa!

Ah now that I recognise too, I have trouble with a particular Françoise and a particular Dominique, although they are quite unlike each other.

<pedant/nationalistic alert>
quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
(It was a weaverfish actually - nasty little things, common in Brittany...)

The actal English name is weever fish (see here), vive in French, and they appear to be as common on your home patch as here. The same link quotes a South Wales Evening Post article about the number of stings around Swansea and Gower [Razz] .
</pedant/nationalistic alert>

--------------------

Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

Ingredients:

2 oz Vodka
5 oz Grapefruit Juice

Directions:

Moo

If g-fruit juice & vodka is a greyhound, what is gin & g-fruit juice called?
I've seen a delicious drink called a Salty Dog made with either gin or vodka and grapefruit juice, mixed with ice and served in a glass with a salted rim- like a margarita. Mmmm.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ingredients:

2 oz Vodka
5 oz Grapefruit Juice

Directions:

Pour into a glass with a salted rim (margarita style) for a Salty Dog. Mmm.

[2 typos in 13 words. A new record]

[ 22. April 2012, 22:31: Message edited by: Balaam ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine, having confused "poisson" with "poulet", once brought a large delicatessen in Nice to a standstill by trying to purchase a chicken leg.

His attempts to make make himself clear by making the "leg bye" signal (whilst saying "jambe") alternatim with doing chicken impressions (whilst saying "de poisson") were, apparently, unsuccessful.

Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

[Killing me] The levels on which that would be incomprehensible to the average Niçois tend to the infinite.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It soumds like me that would make me ill,

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it help if you remembered Ford Prefect's philosophical musing on why life is like a grapefruit? [Biased]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

The Reader's Digest has - or had - a page for people like you [Razz]

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But they also go together: one of the staples in our household when I was growing up was pineapple-grapefruit juice. (From a large can, of course.) The sweetness of the pineapple cuts the bitterness of the grapefruit.

On the linguistic theme, one of my French papers using comparative phrases was "Mon Chat n'est pas un Pamplemousse" (my cat is not a grapefruit). [There were, indeed, several differences to note: the cat had more legs and was more furry, while the grapefruit had fewer stripes and tasted better. I don't remember my conclusion on the level of activity - that was a close call.]

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by poileplume:
The English tend to confuse bras (arm) and jambe (leg) when speaking french.

The easy way to remember is that a bracelet goes round a bras like a necklace goes round a neck.

quote:
Originally posted by WhateverTheySay:
... one of those meds that interacts with grapefruit - WTF is that about?

I know its probably a rhetorical question, but my inner pedant wants me to say that there are things in grapefruit that inhibit the effect of the enzyme Cytochrome P450. And that is one of those enzymes, or rather families of enzymes, that is involved in all sorts of metabolic processes, not just one. And it exists in many variants inside each person, as well as in different people. Variation in the way it works is one of the mechanisms that causes different people (and other animals) to react differently to drugs and other chemicals.

In fact the amazing thing is not that grapefruit juice can cause problems if you are som some kinds of drug, but that so many other people can drink it without getting poisoned!

[ 23. April 2012, 17:16: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the info on weever fish, Eutychus! I'll take care if we go to the Gower.
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can never remember whether "framboise" is a strawberry or raspberry. "Fraise" doesn't help if you want fresh ones, either.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
In fact the amazing thing is not that grapefruit juice can cause problems if you are som some kinds of drug, but that so many other people can drink it without getting poisoned!

That probably explains why it makes me yack.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always confused Pamplemousse and Pompier in French… not that they're related at all!
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were just learning kitchen French back in the day, and I was quite amused by pamplemousse and kept repeating it. My grand'mamman who was a native speaker, and trying to encourage my French asked me

"What's pamplemousse in French?"

I stared at her, my Dad stared at her, and we both giggled as a look of horror spread across her face.

Disgusting fruit. Fresh pineapple sold by the roadside is much more palatable. Especially when a small machete is use to slice it into pineapple on a stick.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hovercraft is full of eels.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of howlers from my PhD fieldwork in Romania: firstly I caused my hosts to do a bit of a double take when I asked for 'onion yoghurt' (I wanted strawberry yoghurt, the words really aren't that similar in Romanian either). More embarrassingly, I had arranged to meet a contact one day to pick up an article she had written (and was vaguely hoping she might consent to being interviewed), and turned up a whole day early as I had completely confused 'Tuesday' and 'Wednesday' in my head. Luckily I did it that way round I suppose - I still have to stop and think about that one when days of the week crop up.

TME would probably point out that my main language confusion these days are 'left' and 'right'.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The confusion really sets in when you have a bunch of international friends and you ask them all to come round at "half seven".

You need to be prepared to welcome people from about 6.15 onwards if you do this.

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
TME would probably point out that my main language confusion these days are 'left' and 'right'.

Ah. That's my problem, too. Just last week I was meeting friends at a concert. They told me they were on the left aisle. You guessed it. I was looking for them down the right side. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a problem in Welsh with chwech "6" and saith "7". Or really mostly with saith which just looks like it (also) ought to mean "6"... [Eek!]

[ 24. April 2012, 22:58: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doubtingthomas:
I have a problem in Welsh with chwech "6" and saith "7". Or really mostly with saith which just looks like it (also) ought to mean "6"... [Eek!]

Yes!!! I always assumed that was just me.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WhateverTheySay:
I don't so much have an issue with confusing words as I have with forgetting words all together. That is very annoying when trying to have a conversation.

This happens to me a lot too, and on reading your post I just remembered it happened to me in a DREAM I had last night! I remember getting frustrated and saying, "What's that word I want?"

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016