homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Avengers Assemble!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Avengers Assemble!
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I caught this last night and basically loved it. Loki was the high spot, IMHO, but Thor, Iron Man and the Hulk were all great too. There was great action, occassional humour, and plenty of stuff to keep an old comic fan happy. The Shield aircraft carrier becoming the flying HQ was excellent in that respect. However I do have some questions:

1) Who were the aliens? I felt I should recognise them, but couldn't.

2) What was wrong with Cap's costume? Somehow it didn't look right, but I can't say why.

3) Most importantly, where was the Wasp? Frankly I thought both the Black Widow are Hawkeye were a bit dull. We had Cap to do non-superpowered stuff, and they didn't add much. I can live without Giantman, but the Wasp was a real loss.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, I'd like to come back to this thread later - we plan to see the film in a few days, but my son has seen it already and pronounced it 'awesome' - though his girlfriend wasn't quite so keen.

I loved 'Ironman' and 'Captain America' and am looking forward to this a lot, and it's got some good reviews... carry on, shipmates, what do you think?

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
2) What was wrong with Cap's costume? Somehow it didn't look right, but I can't say why.

I've only seen the trailers, but for one thing, Ol' Winghead's wings are just painted on the side of the cowl rather than popping out the sides.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fabulous fun. TP & I saw it today. Loki was a fabulous villain, and Robert Downey Jnr is inimitable. TP asked the waspish question too. However, I'm sure the makers have that in hand as the stream of yearly Marvel based releases continues. Newcomers to the Marvel superheroes will want to play catch-up by buying/renting all the individual hero movies, so they are guaranteed a buying audience for a long time to come.

When the alien turned to snarl into the camera at the end - all I could think of was "So is this a link to Hell Boy's planet?" And then I couldn't remember whether Hell Boy was a Marvel idea or not. But it's definitely set up for a sequel. (Of course...)

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Hellboy is a Dark Horse character, but comics companies are more willing these days to do crossovers than they used to be. So who knows?

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The alien right at the end was Thanos, a long time major Marvel baddy. So it's not a link to Hellboy, but it does bode well for the sequel.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

sllc
Shipmate
# 12707

- Posted      Profile for sllc   Email sllc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I caught this last night and basically loved it. Loki was the high spot, IMHO, but Thor, Iron Man and the Hulk were all great too. There was great action, occassional humour, and plenty of stuff to keep an old comic fan happy. The Shield aircraft carrier becoming the flying HQ was excellent in that respect. However I do have some questions:

1) Who were the aliens? I felt I should recognise them, but couldn't.

3) Most importantly, where was the Wasp? Frankly I thought both the Black Widow are Hawkeye were a bit dull. We had Cap to do non-superpowered stuff, and they didn't add much. I can live without Giantman, but the Wasp was a real loss.

Unfortunately, this movie doesn't start here in the US until Friday. However, we are going to catch the 1st show on Saturday afternoon then hopefully I can comment intelligently. [Big Grin]
Posts: 179 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

That really surprises me - I assumed big films always opened in the States before we got them here. Is the Jarvis' influence at work?
sllc
Shipmate
# 12707

- Posted      Profile for sllc   Email sllc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That really surprises me - I assumed big films always opened in the States before we got them here. Is the Jarvis' influence at work?

I think the whole world saw it before we can. Somewhere this week, I saw a headline that said that this movie was breaking records all over the world. However, we can't see it until this weekend. Go figure.
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're just back from seeing it - great fun, and it thoroughly cheered me up! I *loved* Loki, and enjoyed the initial bickering between the various heroes. Black Widow and Hawkeye weren't as bad as I feared, and the Hulk was fun, raising a few laughs from the audience, and it was good to spot Harry Dean Stanton in a minor cameo, as well as Stan Lee's obligatory appearance. I'm looking forward to more sequels, and in the meantime there were trailers for the new Spider-Man film as well as the new Batman one.

As I said to Mr Marten, Stan Lee is *still* laughing all the way to the bank! And why not, indeed? [Yipee]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed it but not as much as husband and son did. They have seen all the other tie in movies and I have not. I am growing tired of Robert Downey Jr and his schmuck shtick. Loki was a real highlight(although when I first saw him I thought of Bugs Bunny ( 'sword and magic helmet') I do like the way Joss handles female characters and was sad when they booted him off Wonder Woman.

That being said I was more excited about the trailer for Prometheus.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hulk smash

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
sllc
Shipmate
# 12707

We enjoyed it also. I agree with art dunce about Robert_Downey Jr. I would have liked to have seen more Thor [Big Grin] and less Iron Man.

[ 06. May 2012, 21:10: Message edited by: sllc ]

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that it was great fun. [Smile]

I enjoyed the relationship between Tony Stark and Dr. Banner.

However, I kept wondering when Charles, Meg, or Ms. Which was going to turn up. (Drat my memory for children's fantasy and sci-fi!!!)

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
puny god [Big Grin]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D-U and S-i-L saw it Sunday, and Daughter is taking me to see it tomorrow! [Yipee] Looking forward to that!

I'll report back.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that was a fun frolic! The only part that gave a bit of trouble was finally realizing that some of those folks must have been introduced in a previous movie. (I asked D-U afterwards to check.) Other than that, it was fun! And funny!

Did anyone else stay for the scene after the credits? And did anyone else think that Fury could have used a lightsaber? [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

What scene after the credits? Was there something apart from Thanos?

(It never fails. If I wait till the bitter end, there is no extra bit; if I leave at the same time as everyone else I miss something important.)

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Apparently it was only in the US. You remember Tony suggesting that they have have a meal afterwards? In the US they got to see them having that meal, with someone sweeping up the mess in the background.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
The only part that gave a bit of trouble was finally realizing that some of those folks must have been introduced in a previous movie.

With the exception of the aliens, I think everybody who got more than one scene had been introduced in a previous movie.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
I do like the way Joss handles female characters and was sad when they booted him off Wonder Woman.

As I remember, the studio executives decided that a superhero film in Joss Whedon's style of witty heroics would never do as well as Batman Begins.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

Apparently it was only in the US. You remember Tony suggesting that they have have a meal afterwards? In the US they got to see them having that meal, with someone sweeping up the mess in the background.
Oh, rats. We always stay until after the credits in case there's another scene - actually I like reading the credits anyway, as apart from the production crew listings etc it's nice to check out, eg., music used, locations used and so on.

Wonder why we didn't see that scene in the UK [Confused]

--------------------

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most people left after the Thanos scene but the handful that waited saw the team exhausted and slumped eating Shawarma at Tony's favorite place. Apparently Lebanese restaurants saw a surge of customers after the
scene aired.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We really enjoyed the film; I did not have it as my first choice until I read a good review from Mr. Turhan of the LA Times. We did not see it in 3D, so there were fewer than two dozen people in the cinema: unfortunately, those who were had bad manners.

At the end, I stopped an older couple who had been sitting next to us with this lecture:
When a 2-year-old talks during a movie, it's because he's learning to speak. When a 72-year-old talks during a film, it's because he wasn't brought up right!

That said, we enjoyed the film very much. Cinematography was great and so was a lot of the acting. I could see where the money was spent. It was fun to be rewarded for watching the credits with a long scene of the cast eating!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw it today--unfortunately didn't wait for the credits to finish rolling. Though I must say that putting substantive stuff after the credits is really obnoxious. At any rate, I liked it, I thought it captured the spirit of 1960s Marvel Comics (that being my era). OTOH, it was my first 3D movie, and I was seriously underwhelmed by the 3D experience. I mean, really--I can get vertigo in 2D, and it feels about the same, and it doesn't cost $18.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enjoyed the movie, loved some of the humour, especially the unexpected bits when Hulk smacks Thor after they destroy the flying thing and his thrashing Loki like a toy.
Not surprised the film was popular, but am surprised at the level of popularity.
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Though I must say that putting substantive stuff after the credits is really obnoxious.

Yeah, not if you, or someone you know, are in those credits. Many of them deserve more credit than they receive for what you just enjoyed.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked on a little film called "The Kingdom" for Universal a few years ago, and at one point, even I was in the credits. It was fun to see my boss in the plastering department and his boss the art director in the final version of the credits. I also like to see where the pictures were filmed.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am reminded of an exchange in the original The Muppet Movie: Kermit and Fozzie Bear are in a hot air balloon watching the credits scroll by. Fozzie says "Does anybody read these things?" to which Kermit replies "Sure. They all have families." Quite right, too.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016