homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bible readings (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bible readings
drnick
Shipmate
# 16065

- Posted      Profile for drnick   Email drnick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How are Bible reading introduced at your church during a service?

This morning I was thinking aboiut the fact that at my church (URC) there is no set way of introducing the readings. Usually, the reader will say something like 'Today's first reading is from the Book of X, which can be be found on page xxxx', and then introduce the second reading in a similar way (there being usually one Old and one New Testament passage, though this vary). But everybody does it slightly differently, which I don't think really matters in itself.

So what happens in your church? And do you think it is important?

(The reason I was thinking about this is that this morning the reader didn't give the page number, and went very quickly into the reading. Which meant it took me a couple of verses to locate Ezekiel (I personally like to look up the passage and read it along as it is read out, as I know do many other people).)

--------------------
"Christians like you are why God invented lions" Pagan Wanderer Lu.

Posts: 58 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have the chapter and verse of the readings with Bible page numbers listed in the pew sheet. We also have a one sentence summary of each reading, which I write. It depends who does the reading: some people ignore the summary, just say "a reading from the book of xxx", some give that, the page number, and read out the summary sentence as well. One man does his own introduction and sometimes his own transliteration if he doesn't like the look of the NRSV words. I find that a bit irritating TBH as he clearly has an agenda, but in the grand scheme of things it's no biggie. If I'm reading I will say "the first/second reading is taken from the book of xx" and leave it to the cong to read what's in the pew sheet, but I am always aware that some can't read the pew sheet as it isn't in large print, some don't approve of the existence of the pew sheet, some have already made it into a paper plane by that stage......... At the end I will say "this is the word of the Lord" unless it is something particularly OT-violent or that bit about women covering their heads, but the vicar doesn't usually schedule those even if they are in the lectionary!
Posts: 187 | From: I wish I knew | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to use something like:

quote:
The (descriptive optional)reading is from A-book chapter B verse C, [page xxx in the church bibles]* that is A-Book chapter B verse C
The double announcement because if people are following in their own bibles then it means they have two chances of getting the passage right (using the page numbers is cop out imho) and also gives them extra time to find it.

* page number if the church has standard pew bibles (my home congregation pew bibles consist of: 6 NRSVs, Two REBs, a dozen NEB and several KJV, plus some of us bring our own version). At this point you also give any introduction that the preacher has requested.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Page numbers only work if everyone uses the same edition of the Bible. In my experience churches where many people like to follow along with the readings, tend to be those where people bring their own Bibles. Not entirely sure why this is.

We do have pew Bibles available in my church, but page numbers are rarely announced. Maybe because the reader is likely to be using their own Bible, or the lectern Bible (or if they are me, a printout from Bible Gateway, or even from my Kindle ... both I have used before when reading in church), so would not have access to the page number.

Another reason for lack of need for page numbers, would be that in churches like the one I grew up in Open Brethren) not only did everyone bring their own Bible (AV of course) but it would be inconceivable that anyone would not be sufficiently familiar with the books of the Bible to be able to find Ezekiel without the need for page numbers.

Yes I am one such person for whom page numbers make it harder not easier. For some Bibles start the numbering from the beginning again in the new Testament, so its confusing. Much better for me to just sing along (in my head) the Books of the Bible song we learnt at Sunday School, which tell me that Ezekiel comes before 'Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos...' and after Lamentations .... so if I managed to find any of those (which of course I know are towards the end of the Old Testament) then I can easily locate it.

I do realise of course that not everybody had this grounding in learning the books by rote. For them, Bibles have indexes!!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drnick:

...So what happens in your church? And do you think it is important?

My church has its Sunday meetings in a school hall so there are no pew Bibles or suchlike. If there's a Bible reading in any part of the meeting then it's usually projected on to a screen so people can follow along.

I don't think the precise form is important at all, as long as people of various learning styles are catered for. So I think it's good to read clearly, give the passage reference, and have the reading visible too, so that more visually-inclined people can follow it.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'A reading from the Acts of the Apostles.' *

After long toil, we have banished 'taken from' (pages torn out?) chapter and verse, pew bible page number and subtitles from the NSRV which claim to indicate what a passage is about and, thereby, exclude multiple layers of meaning from the mind of the hearer.

The chapter and verse numbers are on the pew leaflet - mind you, I think it is important that some personality types follow the text and i want to encourage people to get familiar with the bible - it is disheartening that many churchgoers never read the bible a home.

* except when we do 1662, when we follow Cranmer's rubric 'Here beginneth the xth verse of the yth chapter of the book z'

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my church, using Common Worship Order 1 Traditional Language, the Gospel is announced so:

quote:
The holy Gospel is written in the nth chapter of the Gospel according to Saint n, beginning at the nth verse
(NB that this is the BCP introduction, rather than the CW one. Why, I don't know.)

When I read the other lesson, I follow the BCP form as well:

quote:
The epistle/lesson is written in the nth chapter of ___, beginning at the nth verse.
I think this gives a gravity suitable to this particular service, which is fairly formal.

Not all those who do this reading use this form, however; many use the "a reading from..." form.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was the lector this morning. I simply used what the lectionary said:

"A reading from Acts" and "A reading from Romans."

The lector last week said:

"The First Reading for the Seventh Sunday of Easter is taken from the Book of Acts, Chapter 1, Verses 15 through 17 and 21 through 26. A reading from Acts."

[Roll Eyes]

Most of the lectors do specifically that...their own intro, followed by the one in the book.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the Eucharist :

"The Epistle is written in the [x] chapter of the [name of book], beginning at the [x] verse."

"The Holy Gospel is written in the [x] chapter of St [name], beginning at the [x] verse."

At the Office :

"Here beginneth the [x] verse of the [x] chapter of the [name of book]."

[name of book] = the name as given in the first edition of the AV

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Epistle for today" or "The first lesson this morning" are pet peeves of mine. Whenever I hear them a cringe a little--you'd damn well *better* be reading the Epistle for today! What's the alternative--next week's? One of your own choosing?

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wm Dewy
Shipmate
# 16712

- Posted      Profile for Wm Dewy   Email Wm Dewy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It’s always good for the reader to announce a full name of the book. “A reading from Paul’s second letter to the Corinthians” is better than “A reading from 2nd Corinthians.” And “A reading from the Book of Joshua” beats “A reading from Joshua.” It always sounds to me like the prophet is tattooed.

I don’t have strong feelings for or against citing chapter and verse, but I seldom hear it done well.

--------------------
"And harmoniums and barrel - organs be miserable--what shall I call 'em ? - miserable machines for such a divine thing as music!"

Posts: 216 | From: Indiana USA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
"The Epistle for today" or "The first lesson this morning" are pet peeves of mine. Whenever I hear them a cringe a little--you'd damn well *better* be reading the Epistle for today! What's the alternative--next week's? One of your own choosing?

One of my pet peeves too. I prefer the economical to the chatty so the temptation is strong to bounce someone's head off the wall a few times when you get

"The Old Testament Lesson for the Second Sunday after Easter is from Two Samuel, Chapter 1 verses 19 to the end. In this passage..."

At this point I am usually scouting around for which wall is plastered brick or masonry so that the head-bouncing when administered will be effective...

I had one lay reader who could not get it into his head that the proper way to introduce a lesson was Here begins the nineteenth verse of the first chapter of the second Book of Samuel and nothing more. I presevered for six years in trying to get him to do it right without success and probabl to the detriment of my blood pressure!

PD

[ 28. May 2012, 01:20: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a consistent approach on the part of the readers is helpful for the listeners in the pews. I think it might be a bit jarring to hear the lector start out with his or her own intro of choice and then to have that method change from week to week. We use the method described by Martin L, which is also prescribed in the TEC lectionary, e.g. "A reading from the Book of Acts [or the Acts of the Apostles]." If a particular congregation's method is to add chapter and verse to that introduction, fine, but let it be consistent from week to week. Otherwise the listener is likely to get auditory whiplash.

Clearly there's a necessary difference in approach between churches that use a pew sheet and those where the congregation reads along in a Bible; and within the latter group, a difference between churches that have pew Bibles and those where folk bring their own Bibles to church. Each will require a different way to give the introduction. But whatever the method, let it be followed with consistency. (And leave the explication to the preacher.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drnick:

From the Pentateuch:
"The reading is from the book of Moses called N."

From the Prophets:
"The reading is from the book of the Prophet N."

Other Old Testament readings:
"The reading is from (name of book)."

The Gospels:
"The reading is from the Holy Gospel according to Saint N." If the pericope doesn't have a clear introduction and would sound stunted on its own, the reading usually begins "At that time..."

The Acts of the Apostles:
"The reading is from the Acts of the Holy Apostles." The reading begins "In those days..."

The Pauline Epistles:
"The reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to N." The reading begins "Brethren", "Child Timothy".

Other Epistles:
"The reading is from the General Epistle of Saint [N]." The reading begins "Beloved" (if the Johannine Epistles) or else "Brethren".

Psalms are chanted or sung as parts of the service, as any other hymn or prayers within a service, and are never proclaimed as readings.

Chapter and verse references are never given. The readings are proclaimed within the context of the liturgy for the hearing of the people, and the sermon will expound on them, so there is no expectation for people to be following along as they would at a bible study, where the reading might stop every few lines to draw people's attention to a particular point/word/phrase for discussion. For those whose hearing might make this difficult, the lectionary readings are widely available online and I always e-mail prior to the service the variable propers that my parish will be using for that Sunday/feast, including the scripture references, and anybody is welcome to them. Mainly the choir receives these but there are others who have asked to be added to this mailing list because they like to look up the saint/feast of the day and use the hymns and readings as a personal preparation for the liturgical celebration.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wm Dewy:
It’s always good for the reader to announce a full name of the book. “A reading from Paul’s second letter to the Corinthians” is better than “A reading from 2nd Corinthians.” And “A reading from the Book of Joshua” beats “A reading from Joshua.” It always sounds to me like the prophet is tattooed.

Indeed, even better in my view is "the second letter of St Paul to the Church in Corinth". Given that Paul wasn't writing to all Corinthians, just to the Christian ones. But otherwise, yes.
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Astley:

Other Epistles:
"The reading is from the General Epistle of Saint [N]." The reading begins "Beloved" (if the Johannine Epistles) or else "Brethren".

That's an extremely neat differentiation.

I honestly don't see why anyone says "The Old Testament reading is taken from..." instead of "A reading from..." if their service books do not prescribe a formula.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am frequently asked to read the Old Testament or an Epistolatory lesson at our said Communion service on a Wednesday.

Never having been told how to introduce it, I usually begin "This morning's reading is taken from the Book of XYZ, beginning at Chapter 1,2,3.

Last week, I discovered that the reading began right in the middle of Paul's long speech to the Ephesians, and deciding that the majority of our small and elderly congregation would not have a clue what I was talking about added "Paul is talking to the Ephesian Christians".

The Gospel is always read by the Celebrant, in a duly formal and holy way.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In the British Methodist Church there is a lectionary, but preachers aren't obliged to follow it. So they might well be reading a Bible passage of their own choosing.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

In the British Methodist Church there is a lectionary, but preachers aren't obliged to follow it. So they might well be reading a Bible passage of their own choosing.
Even us Anglicans do now and again. We have rules, but no means of enforcing them, so really they aren't rules if your vicar doesn't want them to be.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the customary in the Seabury-Western seminary chapel called for a minimalist introduction:

A reading from Exodus.
A reading from First Corinthians.

This was to prevent lectors from adding their own twist in some way.

Our parish retains one of the options given in the interim books leading up to the 1979 BCP but not ultimately included in that BCP:

The Word of God, written in the book of the prophet Isaiah.

and at the end:

This is the Word of the Lord.

(The BCP lacks the "This is.")

I know the parish did a thorough trial of the interim liturgies, and these must have been determined not jettison-able when the final BCP was approved.

But using what's actually given in the BCP isn't wrong, of course, and some do that.

Trickydicky
Shipmate
# 16550

- Posted      Profile for Trickydicky   Email Trickydicky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oblatus said:

I think that introductions to readings need to be far longer. They need to put the reading into context - both in terms of where the reading is in that book (what's gone before, what's come after, or what Paul is arguing) and in terms of our contemporary world. We are such a biblically illiterate people that we need something like this, otherwise people cannot engage with the Bible.

[fixed code]

[ 28. May 2012, 16:33: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
If something's worth doing, its worth doing badly. (G K Chesterton)

Posts: 57 | From: Greater Manchester | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think, for me, the place for all of that is in the sermon.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wm Dewy
Shipmate
# 16712

- Posted      Profile for Wm Dewy   Email Wm Dewy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
But using what's actually given in the BCP isn't wrong, of course, and some do that.

[Killing me] Do you think it will ever catch on?

--------------------
"And harmoniums and barrel - organs be miserable--what shall I call 'em ? - miserable machines for such a divine thing as music!"

Posts: 216 | From: Indiana USA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

- Posted      Profile for Matariki   Author's homepage   Email Matariki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I publish page numbers for Bible readings in our order of service, we have Good News Bibles which have their strengths but is not my preferred version for public reading. Sometimes before the reader is invited up I give a little potted account of the readings and how they are understood by biblical scholars.

--------------------
"Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accompanied alone; therefore we are saved by love." Reinhold Niebuhr.

Posts: 298 | From: Just across the Shire from Hobbiton | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For decades I used a more pompous version of Cranmer's. It was convoluted and fairly pointless I see in retrospect. I'd say (and teach others, forgive me)

The Word of God (or at Mass, the Epistle) is written in the thirteenth chapter of Blessed (or Saint) Paul's first epistle to the Church at (or of) Corinth, beginning at the first verse.

It would end, (This is) The Word of the Lord.

At Mass, Acts or Revelation or once in a while an OT would get, "The portion of Scripture appointed for the Epistle."

Gospels at Mass never got "the continuation" business, just

The Holy Gospel of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ according to the twenty-fifth chapter of the Gospel according to Saint Matthew, beginning at the thirty-first verse.

Now I see the wisdom in the 1979 books vast simplification.

At the Eucharist, I prefer calling the OT Lesson, the OT Lesson rather than the 'first reading.' It is part of the genetic makeup of many Anglicans to call the epistle the epistle, even if everyone else has conspired for almost forty years to call it "the second reading." Yuck.

At the offices, I much, much, much prefer them to be called "lessons," (something to be learnt/learned) rather than mere "readings" which is very RC and Proddie.

There are lectors who are taught to say, "Here endeth the lesson" intead of "(this is) the word of the Lord" only if it's from a book of the deuterocanon, which is repulsive to my delicate sensibilities--but if they do it for the next lesson even from the Gospel, I am thankful for their consistency.

I loathe the still very common custom of ending a lesson with "Here endeth the Lesson/Epistle/Reading" and the congregation invariably piping out, "Thanks be to God" instead of just being quiet.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trickydicky:
quote:
Oblatus said:

I think that introductions to readings need to be far longer. They need to put the reading into context - both in terms of where the reading is in that book (what's gone before, what's come after, or what Paul is arguing) and in terms of our contemporary world. We are such a biblically illiterate people that we need something like this, otherwise people cannot engage with the Bible.

[fixed code]

In my experience, the minister usually contextualises the passage before someone else reads it. In fact, sometimes it seems as though we end up hearing the story twice, once via the explanation and secondly via the reading itself. And then, if the sermon is built around it, that's three times!

But I don't know what kind of unacceptable 'twist' someone might give to a reading. Very occasionally, a layperson might preface a reading by saying how much it means to them, but usually they just get on with it.

Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
At the offices, I much, much, much prefer them to be called "lessons," (something to be learnt/learned) rather than mere "readings" which is very RC and Proddie.

I'm sorry, in that case, to have to inform you that "lesson" derives from the Latin lectio, which means precisely "a reading".
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
But I don't know what kind of unacceptable 'twist' someone might give to a reading. Very occasionally, a layperson might preface a reading by saying how much it means to them, but usually they just get on with it.

I'm guessing that in a seminary chapel, the clergy and faculty are extra-sensitive to personal statements about the various biblical books: "A reading from the Second Book of Moses, commonly called Exodus," or "A reading from the Epistle of Blessed Paul the Apostle to the Hebrews" would induce cringes, throat-clearings, and later lectures, I would think. So the seminary's customary required that the introductions be the bare minimum, basically the short version of the book's name, as one would find it in the Bible. I think they had these short versions listed, even.

Then there are the variations brought on by little disputes over style: "A reading from Acts." "A reading from the Acts of the Apostles." "A reading from the Book of the Acts of the Apostles." "A reading from the Book of Ecclesiasticus, or Jesus ben-Sirach." Book of Wisdom, Wisdom of Solomon, Revelation, Revelation of/to [St.] John the Divine, etc. I gather the short version in the customary is just enough to identify the book, and on with the reading/lesson.

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:

I'm sorry, in that case, to have to inform you that "lesson" derives from the Latin lectio, which means precisely "a reading".
But in English "reading" and "lesson" can mean different things.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was recently reader at a friend's funeral (at TEC). I haven't done the reading before, and no one told me exactly what to do or say. I insisted on being told what passage in what translation so I could practice a time or two, they said it would be on the lectern for me. (I insisted, and was emailed the passage a day ahead.)

The passage started with the word "so," which is a connecting word to the unread passage before. That sort of bugged me, I;d have liked to skip that word, or state a simple sentence of context.

The reading was followed by a psalm "to be read responsively by whole verse" but no one told me if I read the responsive verse with the congregation of am silent during those verses. (I turned away from the mike and read those verses softly with the congregation.) The Psalm was one of those that skips a few verses, so I introduced it as "Psalm X starting on verse Y," not knowing if that's the official way.

I guess either "everyone knows" or no one cares how it's done?

But my big question -- is it common to have someone read whatever is in front of them Sunday morning cold, instead of giving them a chance to practice once at home and deal with any peculiar words/names before doing it in public? Maybe it's just that a funeral is not routine, so the weekly routine wasn't followed? Or I'm too obsessive compulsive about preparing? [Smile]

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
But my big question -- is it common to have someone read whatever is in front of them Sunday morning cold, instead of giving them a chance to practice once at home and deal with any peculiar words/names before doing it in public? Maybe it's just that a funeral is not routine, so the weekly routine wasn't followed? Or I'm too obsessive compulsive about preparing? [Smile]

I think the minimum preparation for our lectors is to arrive a little early so they can check the book on the lectern: (a) to make sure it matches the one in the bulletin, and (b) to read through the lesson for any tricky bits or difficult pronunciations. There's a guide in the sacristy that one can use to look up pronunciations.

But our parish administrator emails a copy of the text to the assigned lectors, subdeacon, and deacon of the upcoming Sunday or principal-feast Masses, so the lessons can be read through and practiced ahead of time.

On a couple of occasions some years ago, I failed to check the book before Mass and paid a price for that neglect: the worst was on Pentecost when I went up to read and the book was set on the Ezekiel lesson that is provided for use when Morning Prayer is the principal service (rare these days, and never at our shack). I figured the preacher or somebody wanted that one read, so I read it. Too bad what was then missing was the actual story of the Day of Pentecost from Acts. The rector read the Acts lesson before starting his sermon. Learned my lesson! Check the book before Mass.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our church secretary handles the selection of the lectors. A couple times a year, she walks around the church with the upcoming bulletin covers (readings preprinted). She approaches anybody who fails to avoid eye contact. She asks if you would please be the lector on such-and-such a date. When you say yes, she writes you down on her list and hands you the bulletin cover with the reading. Then she scans the crowd for her next vict...erm, volunteer.

I get the distinct feeling that most of our lectors do not prepare in advance anyway. For what it's worth, I do, but I have a paperback, smaller copy of the actual lectionary book that the lector uses in church, so I have an unfair advantage. My book gives a few helpful little tidbits here and there..."a good reader will be one reads slowly and allows the message of verse 14 to sink in before moving on to verse 15." I cannot say it gives a ton of advice, but it's better than nothing.

At the bottom of our bulletin covers each week is a section that says, "Next Sunday's Readings" and lists the citations. The lectionary is also contained in the hymnal.

In my experience, people who read at funerals usually have to do it "cold."

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

In my last church (British Methodist), most readers expected to be notified of the readings in advance. This is important, since the readings don't always follow the lectionary, as I said above. More articulate readers will read something at almost the last minute, but if you want 'ordinary people' to participate, you need to give them time to read the passage, and to practise any funny words, etc. Also, I think some people like to pray over the readings.

Readings at funerals (and sometimes at weddings too) often have a last minute air about them, which is a bit awkward, since many of the people doing the readings aren't used to public speaking and aren't necessarily all that familiar with the Bible. (This is the case in the UK, anyway.) There's little sense of the need to project or modulate the voice. Of course, sometimes churchgoers have the same problems. But they do tend to be a bit more aware.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:

At the bottom of our bulletin covers each week is a section that says, "Next Sunday's Readings" and lists the citations.

Our parish-administrator-equivalent puts them on the blog and sends them out with the weekly electronic newsletter. The citations are hyperlinks that give you the full reading, which is very helpful for when I forget I'm lectortating until I'm on the bus headed to church (smartyphone to the rescue!)

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Readings in full are printed in the weekly bulletin. Psalm is also included along with music for chant. The Gospel procession has music and words and the Gospel acclamation is words only. All in bulletin. Back of weekly bulletin has names for intercessions, death notices and saints days and also has the lectionary readings for the week for those who don't have a copy or net access to the lectionary.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
Our parish-administrator-equivalent [...] sends them out with the weekly electronic newsletter.

Same at our place, along with a notice of the Rota for the next two weeks. The links go to the very helpful site, textweek.com, which is very useful if your church uses the RCL. (It's also a great help if you're preaching or if you're preparing something for a class or small group.)

Belle Ringer, I find it unusual that an Episcopal parish could not give you the reading well in advance of the funeral. There are a handful of selections that are recommended for the funeral service (and you can find them in the rubrics for those services in the BCP).

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Belle Ringer, I find it unusual that an Episcopal parish could not give you the reading well in advance of the funeral. There are a handful of selections that are recommended for the funeral service (and you can find them in the rubrics for those services in the BCP).

I don't know much about funerals (alas, I'm reaching the age where they are becoming part of life!). Singer friend died semi-suddenly -- cancer, thought he had another month or two; family gathered for his birthday but he died instead, shock might have delayed the funeral planning a day or two, I gather they had some choice in what passage was read? Obviously the family selected who would be readers and who would do what music, all fellow singers.

I printed it out so I'd have it in print a size I like for reading. [Smile] If readers are used to just reading cold whatever is on the lectern, they wouldn't see any reason to tell me the passage ahead of time. That may be the system, there have been complaints about readers not reading well. People said I read well and want me on the regular list of readers; I'd have to show up in church once a month! Sigh, maybe.

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:

That is utterly appalling - inconsiderate to you, the mourners and the deceased.

A funeral is even more important than the Sunday service, and that is important enough to ensure that the readings - a central element - are delivered competently and consistently.

Some find it easy to mock those with liturgical obsessions. Maybe at times. But this shows why taking time and trouble over liturgy and having consistency is vital.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As people have mentioned preparation, I used to be quite good at this, taking the lectionary home with me and preparing each week for Sunday. I don't do that anymore. I suppose I got fed up of the binding of my rather smart lectionary being weakened through the hazards of an 80-mile round trip on public transportation each Sunday so now I leave it at church. This means that I do not see the actual text before the reading, and the translation is not available online. This isn't too much of a problem. I can look at another translation to get the feel of the reading, and I have learnt to anticipate some of the quirks of this particular translation, which occasionally retains some Greek syntax that doesn't work in English and appears in no other translation that I know, so I'm generally ok to go when it comes to the Pauline epistles. (Though I don't think I shall ever understand why all other names are rendered in their common English form except for James, which is Iakovos. Needless to say, I always say "James".)

However, I have been reminded over the past few weeks that the Acts of the Apostles, being in the narrative style, really requires a whole different approach to reading. The chant has to be much more carefully married to the text than it does in the case of the epistles, as I take on the role of storyteller. A slower reading also seems to work better in this case. With this coming Sunday being Pentecost, I shall be delighted with that superb reading from Acts 2, naming every unpronounceable race under the sun. It was the first reading that I ever did in church, when I was nine years old, and I have loved it ever since.

[ 29. May 2012, 07:14: Message edited by: Michael Astley ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trickydicky
Shipmate
# 16550

- Posted      Profile for Trickydicky   Email Trickydicky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After I'd said that readings needed a longer introduction, Seasick said:
quote:
I think, for me, the place for all of that is in the sermon.
Yes, but if people haven't engaged with the reading then they may well have already forgotten it. So you have to tell them what it is again.

It is wrong to read a passage without context. It reduces the reading to mere words. Belle Ringer tells of a reading that began 'So...'. You either miss out the 'So' or you tell them what comes before it.

And speaking from the British Methodist tradition, I can reassure Svetlana than no reading in a funeral I have conducted has ever been given last minute.

--------------------
If something's worth doing, its worth doing badly. (G K Chesterton)

Posts: 57 | From: Greater Manchester | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

lazarus mooreally posted by Trickydicky:
It is wrong to read a passage without context. It reduces the reading to mere words.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you but think that the presence or absence of proper context depends in large part on the form, content, and execution of the liturgy.

In Orthodox churches, provided there aren't omissions, before the people hear any readings from Scripture, they should be in no doubt about what to expect those readings to relate to. At Vespers, they will have heard a number of poetic hymns setting out the feast or saint, of theme of the day, and should hear the Old Testament readings in light of that. At the Divine Liturgy, they will have heard similarly thematic poems read aloud between the verses of the beatitudes, then they later have joined in more hymns along the same lines. Then, immediately prior to the first reading, they will have joined in a short responsory setting the tone of the reading.

If it be the feast of a martyr, or other saint, or a thematic Sunday based on something from the Gospels, or a commemoration of some event in the life of the Church, they will have already had it significantly reinforced in their minds before the reader even opens his mouth. That is the context in which the reading is heard.

In modern western Eucharistic liturgies, a well chosen entrance hymn and the collect should help do the same sort of thing, I imagine.

--------------------

IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with those who have said preparation is important. It distresses me when I hear a lector stumble over pronunciations, punctuation etc. But even moreso when the reading is delivered with any sense of meaning.

I take my reading preparation from Nehemiah 8:8
Nehemiah 8:8
So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm all for delivering a reading with sense.

I just wish Paul had remembered to put a full stop in now and again. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:

Pretty much what I tell the parish yoof when I am coaching them to serve as lector. "Read it several times and figure out where you would put more punctuation."

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
I'm all for delivering a reading with sense.

Then we wouldn't have the fun of disagreeing about whether a phrase modified the previous thought or the following thought.

I read somewhere that there was no punctuation in ancient Greek, then I read the words weren't even separated, is that true? All question marks, quotation marks, semi-colons, even full stops are interpretive?

I pray about a song before I sing it, that God use it to touch people with awareness of him, so I prayed the same way before the reading. Seemed like the right thing to do, although I suppose in both cases one could argue it's redundant, why else would one be singing or reading a Bible passage in church.

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a variety of possibilities - some people just give the bare minimum: "The first reading is taken from Exodus", right through to "The first reading is taken from Exodus ch xx verses xx to xx".

The Sunday lectionary is available in church every quarter, with just the references for each Sunday, or readings are also given for the following Sunday on each notice sheet.

As church warden, I'm responsible for arranging the Sunday service rota, which includes readers, sidesmen etc..

I also had that Acts 2 reading, and we did have a joke before the service about if anyone would notice if I slipped in a few 'bonus' place names, in the style of some London Underground announcers who occasionally pop in 'Hogwarts' or similar to their list of stops.

[ 29. May 2012, 19:27: Message edited by: moonfruit ]

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
Our parish-administrator-equivalent puts them on the blog and sends them out with the weekly electronic newsletter. The citations are hyperlinks that give you the full reading, which is very helpful for when I forget I'm lectortating until I'm on the bus headed to church (smartyphone to the rescue!)

I was sneakily scheduled in for reading on Pentecost, but it's all good, because Martin knows how to play these things...

"Oh it's wear red on Pentecost? I thought it was wear white on Whitsunday!"

[Snigger]

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a convert to the Episcopal Church in the late '90s, I really like the '79 BCP instructions. The way I've usually heard it implemented is:

OT readings:
"A reading from the book of Exodus"
or sometimes, in the case of a major prophet,
"A reading from the Prophet Isaiah"

Epistle:
"A reading from the First Letter of Paul to the Corinthians"
"A reading from the Letter of James"
(In practice, whether or not the contested Pauline letters get "...of Paul..." in the intro tends to vary.)

Both OT & Epistle readings (and Acts or Revelation if used) are followed by "The Word of the Lord" if it's a Eucharist, or either "Here ends the reading" or nothing at all for the Daily Office.

At a Eucharist, the Gospel is introduced with
"The Holy Gospel of our Savior Jesus Christ according to Mark" (to which the congregation responds, "Glory to you, Lord Christ," preferably bowing); and is ended with, "The Gospel of the Lord" / "Praise to you, Lord Christ."

At the Daily Office, the Gospel is treated as a reading:
"A reading from the Gospel according to Luke"

Lections from the deuterocanonical books read at a Eucharist are usually treated the same as any other OT readings, but in some churches I've encountered "Here ends the reading" in place of "The Word of the Lord" - that tends to depend on whether the church is more on the Catholic or Protestant end of the Anglican spectrum, I think - at least in terms of the biblical canon.

Sometimes the readings at weddings and funerals are treated as those at the Daily Office if there isn't a Eucharist in the service.

As a verger at a cathedral, part of my job is emceeing at wedding rehearsals, setting everything up, and preparing the readings, which we print out from a computer, so there's nothing on the page except what should be read. One of my pet peeves is when people make up their own introductions - especially if I've instructed them specifically to read what's on the page. If I were reading at a service in a different church, I would follow the usage of that church, not import my own habits.

IME, in the Episcopal Church generally, the Scriptures are proclaimed in services. It's not a Bible study; unless you're hearing impaired or have some other reason you really need to read along, you're ideally supposed to just listen. For that reason, lectors are supposed to not dramatize the text, or in any other way impose their own interpretation, and the standard introductions and responses help present the readings as proclamations standing in a long tradition of the Church at (communal) prayer (v. private devotions). The full reference is generally printed in a leaflet (including at weddings), so if you like you can look it over again later. One practice I really like is when churches print the references for the next week's lections in the leaflet, so those so disposed can read them in advance, and even reflect on them and come prepared - although hopefully still open to hearing something new in the proclamation of the Word and in the homily (etc).

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Pretty well says it all, churchgeek.

I am aware I do dramatize reading a bit, or at least try to read intelligently, shaping the text - I would suggest it is better to risk being ham than risk being unheard.

Incidentally, a church near me ends the readings "For the gift of the Lord" in place of "This is the word of..". Any comments?

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trick I discovered with Pauline letters was to read it more like poetry than prose. It is not that it is poetry (some of it may be) but it looks very like tidied up dictated speech and more closely follows the grammar of spoken language. Setting it out like a poem and reading it that way, often works better.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016