homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Approved Seminaries by Diocese (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Approved Seminaries by Diocese
KevinL
Apprentice
# 12481

- Posted      Profile for KevinL   Email KevinL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been reading forever but this is my first post, so please move/delete/forgive as is called for.

I want to go to Nashotah House. I am from Southern California and would likely want to serve in the Episcopal Church, Los Angeles Diocese. Does anyone know if the Bishop has approved any of his ordinands to go to Nashotah House? Are there any priests currently serving in Los Angeles that are Nashotah house grads? I'd appreciate any information.

Preemptively in response to what I think may be questions of me:
1. I am not in formal discernment
2. I am not an Episcopalian, yet
3. My parents live in Southern California, and while I'm happy to go anywhere to serve now, I anticipate needing to be near to them within a decade
4. I am somewhat familiar with the Anglican landscape/realingment, and I'm specifically inquiring about TEC because for various reasons I'd like to understand better what the likelihood of it working out in TEC is
5. I am somewhat familiar with the discernment/ordination process in TEC, which is in part why I'm askin this question here.

Thanks in advance for any info. I suppose if necessary it would be interesting to know which dioceses/bishops approve or disapprove of which seminaries.

-Kevin

Posts: 35 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kevin, I think the first thing you need to explore is Anglicanism/Episcopalianism.

It is highly unlikely that you would be accepted without first a) being confirmed or received as an Episcopalian, and b) going through a thorough discernment process.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard of lots of things, but never of a non-Anglican being accepted by a bishop as a postulant, or even being considered as one. The question you ask is perhaps step 17. In any case, the diocese provides a guide-- the choice of seminary does not seem to be a burning question.

TEC's clergy directory will tell you if there are Nashotah grads in LA, and what the diocese' attitude might be. As well, there are other TEC dioceses in southern California.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
KevinL
Apprentice
# 12481

- Posted      Profile for KevinL   Email KevinL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Nunc Dimittis. I'm pretty sure I'm on my way in, I don't think there's any way they would move me through the process if I wasn't Episcopalian, my question was just if LA allows anyone to go to Nashotah House.

Thanks Agustine, I've reviewed the guide, but I appreciate the link.

Cheers.
Kevin

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Nunc and Augustine said.

As to your actual question, while I don't know for sure, I'd be shocked beyond belief if Bishop Bruno allowed his seminarians to attend Nashotah House. Even if you find some Nashotah grads in the directory, don't assume the current bishop allows seminarians to attend Nashotah or even allows recent Nashotah grads in the diocese. The politics of TEC has changed in the last 20 years. Nashotah has changed. I know bishops who attended Nashotah House who wouldn't allow their postulates to go there. I know conservative bishops who don't have Nashotah House on their list.

A few questions...

Why are you thinking about TEC?

Why Nashotah House?

What church do you currently attend?

Do you have an undergraduate degree?

[ 04. June 2012, 14:55: Message edited by: Beeswax Altar ]

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
jlav12
Apprentice
# 17148

- Posted      Profile for jlav12   Email jlav12   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's wrong with Nashotah House? It's an approved, Episcopal seminary, right?
Posts: 34 | From: Albany, New York | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Episcopal Church believes the discernment happens in community. It is not something one does alone, as a purely cerebral decision. The first step, therefore, is to become an Episcopalian and participate in the life of a single parish for at least a year. The year minimum is not a mere hoop to jump through- there is a heavy emphasis on discerning from a proper place in one's spiritual life, and it may take longer to really have your voice in the community.

You do have to be warned that the discernment process is very long in the Episcopal Church, and there is very little financial support given even if you are admitted into the process. You have to get a master's degree, and many seminarians graduate with a significant amount of debt.

It also must be said that the "process" is extremely long. It could take a couple years to be admitted into the process, and it takes a minimum of 6 years after that before one is ordained to the priesthood. That is only a minimum, it is not AT ALL uncommon for people to be barred from moving forward in the process after years of work.

Nashotah house is technically an approved Episcopal Seminary, but its party line preaches against the Episcopal Church, and it has tried to break from the Church in living memory. Many dioceses refuse to let their seminarians go there.

It must be noted that your choice of seminary is determined by your bishop. He or she would of course take your choice into consideration, but ultimately it's up to him.

I am not trying to discourage you, but know what you are getting in to.

[ 04. June 2012, 15:10: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's wrong with Nashotah House? Nothing and everything is wrong with Nashotah House. Depends on who you ask.

TEC doesn't have a list of approved seminaries. Nashotah House is a seminary loosely affiliated with TEC. Each diocesan bishop can choose which seminaries are acceptable and which aren't. The bishop doesn't have to put all of the episcopal seminaries on the list. Many bishops who don't allow their postulates to attend certain episcopal seminaries will allow them to attend seminaries in no way affiliated with TEC.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kevin, before you could even think of being admitted into seminary you'd not only have to become a member of TEC (does one have to be confirmed? I'm ELCA, so I'm not sure what y'all do), but you'd have to go through a fairly lengthy discernment period. A friend of mine who was considering the priesthood in her 30's after a career elsewhere was advised to go through EFM, Education For Ministry, the sort of baseline course for lay ministers within TEC -- and she was a cradle Episcopalian.

I'm also assuming that, as in the ELCA, before you can be accepted into seminary you'll have to go through psychological testing, done at your own expense.

I'm wondering why you want to be an Episcopal priest when you are not an Episcopalian. Have you been attending services at an Episcopal church? Have you gone to TEC's website and researched the requirements for the priesthood? Have you talked to priests/hung out with them? Have you undergone any sort of "spiritual gifts" inventory? Do you have a spiritual director?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade; just noting that, in traditional/mainline church bodies you can't just say, "I want to be a priest/pastor," and enroll in a seminary on your own...getting to that point is the culmination of a long, involved process. And it is long and involved because the church body wants you to be as sure as it can of your vocation and your competency before you all start investing time and money in the process...because even then it's still not a given that you'll meet your candidacy requirements; you will be evaluated all through your seminary years, and if your professors and mentors discern an ongoing problem -- emotional or academic or theological -- that would seriously impact your ability to perform the duties of a pastor, you won't be able to be ordained. So all of this testing and evaluating and discernment is meant to clarify both your competency and your commitment, for all concerned, as soon as possible.

I'd also gently suggest that if your desire to be a priest is less grounded in wanting to serve God's people in a pastoral-care way and more about trying to learn more about God/the Bible/Christian theology, you're far better off simply being a thoughtful layperson who takes advantage of programs like EFM to enhance your biblical literacy, theological knowledge and practical skill set for being an active member of a parish. If during that process you still feel a call to the pastorate or to a career as a theologian, then it's given you a healthy head start. And if you enjoy some parts of leading worship and/or small groups and/or assisting the priest with various other tasks, and are good at them, but aren't sure about the whole package, EFM is a stepping-stone to doing that. The priest at the church you attend, if you're attending an Episcopal church, can tell you about EFM.

Seminary isn't for "seekers"; it's for people whose desire to become "a called and ordained servant of the Word" has been vetted through the church.

[ 04. June 2012, 15:15: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Confirmation is a requirement. TEC accepts Lutheran and Roman Catholic confirmation so if Kevin is either he would only need to be received. That said, most diocese will require the same preparation for reception as they do for confirmation.

Psychological testing is mandatory. Some diocese pay for it. Some diocese pay half. Some diocese pay nothing. Usually, the aspirant's parish will pay for a portion of the testing.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I go to a church in the LA diocese. We have had several priests and several ordinands work at our church during Bishop Bruno's time as bishop and from what I recall they have all gone to Church Divinity School of the Pacific (Berkeley, CA), Seminary of the Southwest (Austin, TX), Seabury Western Theological Seminary (Chicago, IL), and Virginia Theological Seminary (Alexandria, VA). If Nashotah House is very reactionary to recent developments in TEC, it's doubtful it would be Bishop Bruno's choice for his ordinands. I mean we have two women suffragans and one of them is a happily partnered lesbian. Not exactly old school.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AFAIK in the CofE bishops can ordain people who have not gone through the usual process. In the 70's and 80's some bishops had a policy of bringing in the Charismatic influence through people whose roots were outside the CofE, often in the House-Church network. With varying results.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Within a church body's seminary system, different seminaries will have a different "flavor"; for instance, in the ELCA, PLTS in Berkeley has a sort of NoCal reputation as a relatively liberal place that fosters experimental ideas in ministry (they're the ones, for instance, who coordinate the ELCA's no-residency MDiv program for nontraditional students in underserved areas)...LSTC in Chicago is an intellectual, big-city seminary...Trinity in Columbus is a down-to-earth Midwestern incubator for down-to-earth parish pastors...and so on.

Does school bias come into play on a diocesan (or in our case, synodical) level? Not sure. I'd think a thoughtful and savvy bishop would want a healthy mix of pastoral candidates to serve a variety of calls within his/her jurisdiction. But if one diocese/synod tended to be "off the chart" in one direction or the other I can see a bishop leaning in the opposite direction having reservations about pastors with that academic pedigree.

[ 04. June 2012, 15:54: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being a Nashotah House graduate can be "the mark of the beast" depending on the diocese. Most parishes in my Missionary District would not take someone from Nashotah as the prevailent churchmanship is MOTR-Low.

PD

[ 04. June 2012, 16:11: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does school bias come into play on a diocesan (or in our case, synodical) level? Not sure. I'd think a thoughtful and savvy bishop would want a healthy mix of pastoral candidates to serve a variety of calls within his/her jurisdiction. But if one diocese/synod tended to be "off the chart" in one direction or the other I can see a bishop leaning in the opposite direction having reservations about pastors with that academic pedigree.
Things are a bit more polarized in the TEC at the moment. IIRC Nashotah still frowns on women's ordination and gay people are firmly in the closet. I don't believe women are allowed to consecrate at services there (correct me if I'm wrong).

It's probably the choice for more conservative high church dioceses (Quincy, Ft. Worth, San Joaquin before they bolted, perhaps Eau Claire and Albany) but off the map for a liturgically MOTR and moderately liberal diocese like Los Angeles.

[ 04. June 2012, 16:37: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Theoretically, women can celebrate at Nashotah but to my knowledge, one never has. There are a few diocese that still send people to Nashotah such as Fond du Lac, Eau Claire, Springfield, Rio Grande, Dallas, Western Louisiana, Louisiana, Central Florida, Southwestern Florida, South Carolina, and Albany. Might be a few more, I don't know. None of those places are close to Southern California unless you think New Mexico is close to Southern California.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
... more about trying to learn more about God/the Bible/Christian theology...

Dunno about American but over here if someone wanted to learn about theology they could go to a normal university as an undergraduate and study theology. Quite separate deal from a theological college or Bible college that trains people for church ministry. Loads of people study theology with no intention of ever being ordained. Some of them aren't even believers (though most probably are) If they later went on to seek ordination a theology degree would usually be taken into account towards some of the academic requirements, though it wouldn't shorten the process of discernment or guarantee that they got recommended.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
... more about trying to learn more about God/the Bible/Christian theology...

Dunno about American but over here if someone wanted to learn about theology they could go to a normal university as an undergraduate and study theology. Quite separate deal from a theological college or Bible college that trains people for church ministry. Loads of people study theology with no intention of ever being ordained. Some of them aren't even believers (though most probably are) If they later went on to seek ordination a theology degree would usually be taken into account towards some of the academic requirements, though it wouldn't shorten the process of discernment or guarantee that they got recommended.
Lots of private universities offer undergraduate degrees in theology. State-funded universities might offer a "religious studies" program, but that will approach the subject from a purely secular perspective like historical or anthropological.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

If the Ye Oldde Thyme College atmosphere is what attracts you to Nashotah, Sewanee keeps up appearances as well. Undergraduates wear ties to class, and the faculty frequently wear their academic gowns when lecturing.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

And both are in the middle of nowhere. Sewanee has better financial aid. However, if Anglo-Catholicism is what you like about Nashotah, stay far away from Sewanee.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

quote:
Dunno about American but over here if someone wanted to learn about theology they could go to a normal university as an undergraduate and study theology.
Exactly. And some of those students will continue on the academic track while others might find their calling and go on to seek a seminary education.

And just as it's a mistake to think of a seminary education as a vehicle for "finding God," it's a mistake to think of a secular university's religious studies department as a catechetical agent for a belief system. When I was at my university most of the religious ed professors were practitioners of the faith they taught about -- a couple of them also happened to be ordained clergy -- but they took care to avoid sectarian bias in their lectures. And I remember, with every class, having at least three or four students drop out after the first two weeks when they discovered that the course was not going to be an echo chamber for their own version of Christianity...like the Evo guy in my Christian ethics class who was so appalled to find out that we would be exploring a continuum of Christian thought on any number of moral issues instead of providing "the right answer" that he called our professor's faith into question as he righteously flounced out the door. Our prof, who happened to be a Baptist minister as well as a theologian, took it in stride.

[ 04. June 2012, 18:18: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My roommate went through the process in Los Angeles and was sent to Nashotah by his bishop. He lasted through one rural Wisconsin winter and requested a transfer to General. But this was in the early 1970s and the school (and the church) were quite different.

You'll probably find a few priests in SoCA who are Nashotah grads, but they are likely to be older. I don't think they can give you much insight into what it is like now.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am aware of at least one seminarian who was approved by Bishop Bruno to attend Nashotah House. It should also be noted that Bishop Bruno, a graduate of VTS, was himself something of a curiosity in the Diocese of LA, which traditionally had required its seminarians to attend General. At the funeral of a GTS graduate, I heard Bishop Bruno refer to himself, disparagingly, as a graduate of the "Virginia Bible School."
Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While as a layman, I can barely envision being a bishop, I would be loth to blacklist any Episcopal seminary, although I might look extra carefully at graduates of some to be sure that they do not typify the mold or stereotype. The excellent rector for whom I work now comes from Nashotah, even though the parish is liberal on social issues.

His predecessor was loyal to Seabury-Western as representing, in his opinion, the same virtues without the faults.

Among the detractors of Nashotah, strangely enough, was +William Brady, Bishop of Fond du Lac in the 1960s. It always seemed to me in my youth that the diocese was full of young Nashotah grads, but was told by someone who knew that the bishop was no friend of the place.

If I were to prepare for the priesthood, Nashotah would be one of my first choices, although I would have to disagree with at least one characteristic position. It is an Anglo-Catholic, liturgical place with the mission of preparing men for parish ministry in particular, and with the conviction that doing so is not just a matter of academic training, but of formation. It seems to me that you could do much worse.

[ 04. June 2012, 19:15: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must say, if I were American and a member of TEC, I would, if felt called to the ministry, agree with Alogon and attempt to go to Nashotah House, despite the climate of Wisconsin.

From what I understand of the place there is a strong emphasis on an ordinand's spiritual formation, which, if done properly and in sympathy with the person concerned's temperament, seems the right way to go.

What would lead me to enquire further about the place before committing (if approved) would be the possibility the place might embody a sort of dated 1950s Anglo-Catholicism which I have experienced here. It was, I believe, sadly prevalent throughout the Communion.

From what I know of the place, it had strong connections with the late, saintly Archbishop Ramsey, who taught there in retirement. He was certainly not, in my opinion, dated in any way and not a "cliché 1950s Anglo-Catholic". This would encourage me.

A similar reason for encouragement is the strong links the House has with Orthodoxy.

If you're interested in Nashotah, KevinL, it might be worth your while investigating both Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy. Christianity is far wider than Anglicanism.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Saturday a young woman was ordained deacon at my church. I was convener of her discernment committee before the vestry recommended her to the bishop.

The procedure is that the person who wants to become a priest must go through a discernment process with a lay committee, as well as convincing the parish priest that they have a call. After the discernment committee makes its recommendation, then the vestry votes on whether the person should be recommended to the bishop.

In the committee meetings we asked her when and how she became convinced that she should become a priest. I don't remember her answers; what became very clear was that this was something that she had thought and prayed about deeply. We also asked her how she thought she could manage dealing with the various difficult situations and unreasonable people that all clergy encounter occasionally. Again, the point was not her answer, but that she was aware that such situations do arise

We were careful to keep the meetings as relaxed and friendly as possible. We had no hesitation in recommending her.

Here is the list of questions which we had to answer in our report.

What is this person's understanding of the ministry to which they are aspiring?

How do you see this person growing in the Christian faith?

Describe the current ministries of this person.

What is this person's capacity to learn?

What is the status of this person's emotional health?

Describe this person's capacity for leadership.

In what ways can you envision this person as a deacon or priest? as your deacon or priest?

Recommendation

The bishop of our diocese allows his candidates to attend any Episcopal seminary except Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge, Massachusetts and Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry in Ambridge , Pennsylvania

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your bishop seems very Catholic in the seminaries he allows his ordinands to attend, Moo.

Does he have reasons for the two exceptions?

Americans are indeed fortunate, as are Brits. In the Anglican Archdiocese of Brisbane there is but one choice: St Francis Theological College in Brisbane.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):
Your bishop seems very Catholic in the seminaries he allows his ordinands to attend, Moo.

I think he sees Episcopal Divinity School as too liberal and Trinity as too conservative.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir P:
quote:
I must say, if I were American and a member of TEC, I would, if felt called to the ministry, agree with Alogon and attempt to go to Nashotah House, despite the climate of Wisconsin.
Sure, since you've got a Y chromosome. Otherwise you might get tired of sitting in the back of the bus as well as tired of the weather.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EDS is a weird one. It is a merger of ETS and Philly Divinity both of which were somewhat liberal Low Church schools, which had begun as Evangelical Episcopalian seminaries. However, when the two schools it was like someone used a multiplied rather than added and it went off-the-chart liberal.

VTS is much more liberal than it used to be and is now about where the old Philly Divinity was theologically - Liberalish with a tribal memory of Evangelicalism.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another line of thinking: What happens if one attends seminary first, perhaps with the intent of a professorship, and thereafter realizes that his true vocation is that of the priesthood? While I can see some enforced continuing education, I highly doubt that a second M.Div. would be required. I know someone non-ordained with an M.Div., so I know it's possible.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
Another line of thinking: What happens if one attends seminary first, perhaps with the intent of a professorship, and thereafter realizes that his true vocation is that of the priesthood? While I can see some enforced continuing education, I highly doubt that a second M.Div. would be required. I know someone non-ordained with an M.Div., so I know it's possible.

I was on a discernment committee in New Hampshire that dealt with two women who had attended divinity school before the ordination of women was permitted. One of them had actually taught in a seminary

The job of our committee was to help them discern whether they had a vocation. After we decided they did, the bishop required them to fill a few gaps in their education.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:

Attending seminary before discernment is strongly discouraged in many dioceses, but if one has an M.Div. from a non-Episcopal seminary one is usually required to take an Anglican Certificate from an Episcopal seminary, which takes a year.

Most dioceses will not shorten the process for those who already have an MDiv, and fill up the rest of the time with extra field education.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):

I think he sees Episcopal Divinity School as too liberal and Trinity as too conservative.

Moo

You are correct.

quote:
originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Sure, since you've got a Y chromosome. Otherwise you might get tired of sitting in the back of the bus as well as tired of the weather.

Unless the culture of Nashotah changed dramatically in the past 5 years, I wouldn't recommend a woman attend Nashotah under any circumstances. Comparing the plight of women at Nashotah to African-American students during the early days of integration is not an exageration. Last I heard, half the faculty didn't believe in the ordination of women and some of the students were just plain cruel to female classmates.

quote:
originally posted by MartinL:

You would get an MA if you wanted to be a professor but not get ordained. What if you enrolled in seminary as an MA/MTS student and then switched to the M.Div program? This is known as the backdoor into the process. Bishops frown on it. Even if accepted while in seminary, you won't be ordained the same time as everybody else.

What if you get an MA in theology and then want to be ordained? Most bishops won't make you get an M.Div. You still would have to attend seminary to fill all the educational gaps especially pastoral theology plus do field ed and CPE.

--------------------

KevinL
Apprentice
# 12481

Thank you all for your thoughtful and helpful responses, especially Lyda Rose, who I think understood specifically what I was asking. In response to all the questions:

I feel a strong connection with Nashotah House; their emphasis on the formation of the student is a good fit, as is the conservative theological perspective. When I visited, it felt right. Yes, going to school in an approximation of Hogwarts sounds fun, but is secondary.

I have a BA in Rhetoric and Religious Studies, and a JD. I've been in a process of personal discernment and am currently looking for a spiritual director.

I do not have a problem with initiating formal discernment during or after seminary, but that would not be ideal. I want to to be a priest because I feel that a priest is what God would have me be. Seminary is not the question/problem for me, I feel that I have good clarity on that; discerning vocation and the formal process is the difficulty. I do not want to back-door into the process if it can be helped, but I also don't want to place myself in a position that will make the process unnecessarily difficult.

I am in the unique position of not being under episcopal authority right now (because I'm currently in a non-denominational community, but that relationship is soon to end), and I am aware of the . . . "preferences" that particular bishops have for particular seminaries, hence my original question.

I am a celibate gay man, with what I would describe as a conservative Open Evangelical (I know I'm mixing countries here) theology but am appreciative of the Anglo-Catholic perspective, and I have a AC aesthetic. Yes, I know there are fundamental incompatibilities between and evangelical and a catholic ecclesiology.

I'm feeling out TEC because it is, still, a big-ish tent, though increasingly less so. I know ACNA is an option too, as are some of the other Anglican bodies. I guess the reason I asked the question was to get more information to help make that decision.

I recognize that since none of you know me, it sounds like I'm either an idealistic ingenue (whatever the male version of that is) who hasn't yet done his homework, or that I'm trying to cherry pick jurisdictions to fulfill some selfish and ill considered personal ordination fantasy. It is my sincere prayer that neither of those would be the case.

Thank you all again for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully and thoroughly, I do really appreciate it.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KevinL:
...what I would describe as a conservative Open Evangelical (I know I'm mixing countries here) theology but am appreciative of the Anglo-Catholic perspective, and I have a AC aesthetic. Yes, I know there are fundamental incompatibilities between and evangelical and a catholic ecclesiology.

Yep, sounds like an Episcopalian to me!
KevinL
Apprentice
# 12481

Martin, I was just about to add, I have a sacramental theology that I think approaches the catholic view.
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

The sooner you find a parish and get involved the better. At this point, no episcopal bishop will give the time of day to somebody not completely committed to TEC. Don't even mention you considered the ACNA. Pretend you don't know it exists.

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Don't even mention you considered the ACNA. Pretend you don't know it exists.

It may not be the best idea to play up the catholic tendencies with the LA bishop, either.
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Plenty of Anglo-Catholics in Los Angeles

--------------------

LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

Bishop Bruno has been extremely respectful of the Anglo-Catholic parishes in his diocese. When one of them, a small parish with financial and other problems, needed a new interim priest, the diocese made a point of selecting a male priest with impeccable Anglo-Catholic credentials. Even though Bishop Bruno fully supports women in the clergy (and serves with two female suffragan bishops), he respected that parish's wish to continue to have only male clergy. Similarly, there was no interference when St. Thomas the Apostle in West Hollywood moved its altar to the wall and elevated its already somewhat spiky liturgy with the rectorship of Fr. Ian Davies. Bishop Bruno also has not interfered with Blessed Sacrament parish in Placentia, which he allowed to have alternative episcopal oversight and appointed its Anglo-Catholic rector as an honorary cathedral canon.

Please do not assume anything about Bishop Bruno without knowledge of the man.

KevinL
Apprentice
# 12481

LA Dave, thanks for the info about Bishop Bruno, I have wondered how the Anglo-Catholic parishes have related to the diocese.
KevinL
Apprentice
# 12481

Beeswax Altar, don't you think that if I'm honest in my discernment process it'll end up coming out anyway (that I gave equal consideration to ACNA)? What I am trying to avoid, and perhaps it is wrong of me to do this, is getting involved in a TEC parish (everything around me that is staying in TEC is MOTR liberal), beginning discernment with them, and, Lord willing, having my call attested to by the community, only to then have my bishop (Bruno or Bruce, if Bruno retires) prohibit me from going to Nashotah. I understand that is the point of being under authority, but I have the opportunity now of choosing whose authority to be under. Is this analysis wrong-headed of me?
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

Kevin, while I am not qualified to advise you in your calling, I would echo those who suggest becoming involved in one of the parishes in the Diocese. Three Anglo-Catholic parishes come to mind, but there may be others: Blessed Sacrament in Placentia (which is under episcopal oversight of Bishop Little of Northern Indiana, and has a companion ACNA parish, so I don't know how that would work), St. Thomas the Apostle in Hollywood or St. Nicholas in Encino.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Unless the culture of Nashotah changed dramatically in the past 5 years, I wouldn't recommend a woman attend Nashotah under any circumstances. Comparing the plight of women at Nashotah to African-American students during the early days of integration is not an exageration. Last I heard, half the faculty didn't believe in the ordination of women and some of the students were just plain cruel to female classmates.

Interesting. Last year at a conference I talked with a young woman who's at Nashotah House. She loves the place and insisted that she was always made to feel welcome. She firmly pooh-poohed any Nashotah stereotypes. But I recognize that one person's experience does not make a trend, and I would tend to defer to Beeswax Altar's information, since he's much closer to the action than I.

Two other things about Nashotah, Admittedly, these are in the category of "things I have heard," although I wouldn't pass them along if I didn't have confidence in the sources. One is that the anti-woman pressure comes not from the current faculty but from the trustees. Second, with regards to women presiding at the Eucharist, I have been told that in order to preside, one must be a full professor at the seminary. And the female faculty? None of them full professors. How convenient. [Roll Eyes]

One final bit: My Diocesan Bishop is a Nashotah graduate, and he is a lovely individual, a superb liturgist, is very progressive, and a fine Bishop. I don't know that he's sent anyone there, however.

[ 05. June 2012, 05:04: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Becoming an Episcopalian is not a hoop to jump through on your way to becoming a priest. I would look askance at ANY bishop that would accept into postulancy a candidate who treated membership in the Episcopal Church in such a manner. Join the Episcopal Church if, and only if, you believe it was founded by Christ and preaches the Gospel of Christ. If you believed that, then you would come to the Episcopal Church whether it would ordain you or not.

Second, discernment really is how you make the decision, not a formality you enter after you have made your decision. Again, it is only when you are a member of the Episcopal Church that it will be possible to make this decision.

If you want to go to Nashotah, then there is nothing stopping you from going. One can do lots of things with an M.Div. besides the priesthood.

--------------------

KevinL
Apprentice
# 12481

When I visited, within the last 12 months, I did not sense any disparity in the treatment, official or unofficial, of the female seminarians. The seating in the quire was mixed by gender (and churchmanship), and there was equal participation in class discussion and attention given. While I there for a visitor's weekend, I didn't get the sense that anything was being "put on" for us, since most of the seminarians were busy doing what I believe seminarians do. I sensed a deep respect for the differences in piety and theology of the members of the community, and it worked (didn't seem like there was an artificial stifling of "controversial" issues, on the contrary, I think they were discussed with greater civility than I've experienced elsewhere). One example of this is that the Angelus is recited silently (by those who do), out of respect for those whose piety does not include devotion to Mary. I spoke with one seminarian who is evangelical, and he says he just uses the time to thank Jesus for the day. That type of mutual accommodation and respect is why TEC is attractive to me.

I see in my mind's eye the retort being "They pray the Angelus?!?"

KevinL
Apprentice
# 12481

Thanks Zach82; I think hearing input from everyone on this board has been really helpful. I agree with you about not treating membership in TEC and the parish based discernment process as mere formalities, my questions really, are about bishops and dioceses, not TEC v. ACNA.
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I hope I am not sounding antagonistic. I am speaking from personal experience here- discernment is a very hard, and your motivations and attitudes WILL come out during the process.

You really have to love the Episcopal Church to discernment right. You have to love it as a real community of which you are part, and in which you have a stake. Until you feel that you have a stake in the Church, then it remains a mere abstraction to you and it isn't really your community.

--------------------

Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It took me a while to hack out this post, so the thread got ahead of me, but I'll post it anyway.

Having recently sat on a couple of parish level discernment committees, I'm going to pipe up and say I echo those about who've said you're getting way ahead of yourself, and you're really putting the horse in front of the cart. Just the way you asked the question would have raised flags for us, and a short time in the Episcopal Church (anything less than years), or the appearance of having joined the Episcopal Church for the purpose of ordination, never mind with an eye to a particular seminary, would have been met with suspicion. I'm not sure you'd get the priest to form a discernment committee if that were the case.

Even at the lowly parish level, we'd ask you over the course of months endless intimate questions about your personal and spiritual life. We'd ask about your Anglo-Catholicism, what it means and how you live it out. We'd ask about your Evangelical background, and how you moved from Evo to AC, or how you integrated the two. We most certainly ask why you joined TEC, and why you feel called to ordained ministry in this church. All this and more at the lowly parish level, even before you're passed on to formal discernment in the far less gentle hands of the diocese. I don't see how you can answer these questions for yourself, let alone convince a committee or the diocese, unless you've lived, served, and worshiped in the Episcopal Church for a good long time.

But you not even sure about joining the Episcopal Church! That's what you need to discern, never mind priesthood, never mind where you go to seminary.

And there's no back door. In our diocese at least, starting seminary without the bishop's say so is regarded with deep suspicion, and counts as a strike against you, precisely because it's seen as an attempt to get through a back door. Yes, the bishop can tell you where you can go to seminary, and you'd better be ready to live with it, and until you get to that point it's least of your worries. Of course people have hopes and aspirations about seminary, but you're call had better be bigger than that, or it isn't a call, and your parish committee, or diocese and bishop will see that. There's a reason the process is long and arduous.

I'm sorry if I sound judgemental, but I was in a position to sit in judgement of a couple of people sitting on a lowly lay parish committee, and this is a response to how your question sounds. At this point, "How can I get into the seminary of my choice?" is precisely the wrong question to ask.

So if you think God is calling you to TEC, why don't you join a parish wherever you are (you don't even need to be formally received until your sure), and live your life for a while. If you still feel called to serve the Episcopal Church in ordained ministry, you can start to figure out how to pursue it.

And to end an overly long post, I know a bit of the story of a women in our parish. She started off Roman Catholic, but she felt a call to priesthood, so she joined the Episcopal Church. After a number of years, she went through discernment in her parish, who told her essentially that she needed to get out more, she needed wider and deeper experience in the Episcopal Church, and they didn't sponsor her. She came to our parish, and after more years, went through another parish discernment, was sponsored, made it through the diocese, and went to seminary. Just to add a wrinkle, after finishing seminary and all was said and done, she decided not to get ordained, after a decade and more in the process; an awful lot can happen.

Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016