homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Canon Glyn Webster - Gawd Bless 'im

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Canon Glyn Webster - Gawd Bless 'im
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Downing St today announced the new appointment to the See of Beverley: Canon Glyn Webster of York Minster.

At 61 he's getting on, isn't he? (Many of us ordained in our middle 20s had the usual hassle from older folk about being too young, but hooray that swings both ways.) His wisdom in the role will be most welcome, especially his experience in "keeping up with friends & holidaying as often as possible in Italy"!

We wish him well. I'd be interested to know views and opinions on the appointment and prospects for the future.

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First thoughts?

Old [sic]
Mainstream
Trained at Cranmer

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know anything about him (though hints given on the cathedral website as well as by Vaticanchic suggest a convivial personality), but it's interesting that as Acting Dean of York he will be succeeded by the Minster's first woman dean.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, clearly a traditionalist, yet probably more mainstream than expected. I don't know the chap, but I hope someone will come on here with a bit of personal insight/news.

He's a bit older, isn't he.

I wonder who was the oldest bishop ever to be ordained into office? Ironic he'll be following a suffragan with "antediluvian" episcopal orders.

I wonder how the CABAL who appoints these type of fellas swung Glyn into the picture?!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing about liturgy here, so it's off to Purgatory. Hang on to your birettas.

Mamacita, Eccles Host

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hes does appear to be 61 - but that shouldn't matter. One of the most well loved and dynamic vicars arrived here at 61 - and stayed till he was 94. He had the longest period of his ordained life after 60.

There have also been a number of deacons and priests ordained in their 60s recently in England.

Pope John XXIII of Vatican II fame, was 77 on his election.

The liberally minded Pope Leo XIII (elected 1878) was pope in his 90s.

I suspect the age thing will become irrelevant with the advent of anti-ageist legislation, increasing longevity (61 is the new 51), a fairer and more scientific understanding of the process of aging, the church's gradual understanding that we need leaders of various ages.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
>"keeping up with friends & holidaying as often as possible in Italy"!

Like Canon Stanhope in Barchester Towers? That's not the happiest image, but I suppose it's better than the Proudie couple.

[ 29. August 2012, 23:04: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Egeria
Shipmate
# 4517

- Posted      Profile for Egeria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If he can do the job well, his age is as irrelevant as the color of his hair.

--------------------
"Sound bodies lined / with a sound mind / do here pursue with might / grace, honor, praise, delight."--Rabelais

Posts: 314 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
AngloCatholicDude
Shipmate
# 16476

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicDude   Email AngloCatholicDude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bless Canon Glyn Webster and I am much over joyed with his appointment. He is slightly old which is quite good in a sense as he won't have a long term in office.

He was trained a Cranmer Hall which is slightly alarming but saying that we've had traditionalists clergy come from Wycliffe Hall, Westcott House and Cuddesdon and they've turn't out fine.

He has worn a Double Breasted Cassock on the numerous occasions I've seen him, it may be purely that he works inside a Cathedral and feels comfortable in that.

He is not a member of SSC, is he a member of Forward in Faith? It will be interesting to see (+)Glyn Beverley in a Zucchetto and Mitre

PLEASE ALSO PRAY FOR +Whitby, +Blackburn and the long awaited +Fulham which is the next announcement due in the coming weeks.

Posts: 85 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

- Posted      Profile for Ahleal V     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AngloCatholicDude:
...we've had traditionalists clergy come from Wycliffe Hall, Westcott House and Cuddesdon and they've turn't out fine.

The last time I bumped into a group of traditionalist clergy at Mass (at least one of them was SSC) I did a double-take when they said they'd all trained at Westcott House, so it's probably more common than we think. Though probably less so, these days!

And I heard the story of one guy (circa 2008) who trained at Wycliffe, but ended up going to Pusey House...

x

AV

[ 30. August 2012, 14:52: Message edited by: Ahleal V ]

Posts: 499 | From: English Spires | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

quote:
PLEASE ALSO PRAY FOR +Whitby, +Blackburn and the long awaited +Fulham which is the next announcement due in the coming weeks.

Any ideas who's in the mix for this lot? Fulham would be a London priest, I'm guessing, or at least one who's spent some time there.

Beverley's always been a bit of a gamekeeper's job, I suppose. Is Glyn known around the region?

--------------------

lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

<snip>

He has worn a Double Breasted Cassock on the numerous occasions I've seen him, it may be purely that he works inside a Cathedral and feels comfortable in that.

<snip>

Coming from a thoroughly low church background, I find observations of this sort fascinating. Is there some dictionary somewhere on the ship or elsewhere that describes exactly what wearing a double breasted cassock (insert other ecclesial garb here) is supposed to signify about someone?

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me 61 sounds like a great age for a bishop. Hopefully, lots of good solid parish experience behind him; young enough to be relatively healthy, old enough to have good experience of life and people. I know loads of people in their early sixties who are just in their prime for all kinds of active work and ministry.

I don't know if any of this applies to Canon Webster. But age shouldn't be a bar to bishophood.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:
quote:

<snip>

<snip>

Coming from a thoroughly low church background, I find observations of this sort fascinating. Is there some dictionary somewhere on the ship or elsewhere that describes exactly what wearing a double breasted cassock (insert other ecclesial garb here) is supposed to signify about someone?
AC clergy use Roman-cut cassocks (single-breasted) without a second thought. As the PEVs are usually, though not necessarily, AC - then this might be remarkable.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not so much the cassock he wears, as the fact that his ministerial experience seems entirely MOTR (or cathedral, which is more or less the same thing.) Interesting health-care background.

It seems that he is very much part of the mainstream which is surely good news. If the anti-OoW integrity is to have any integrity (IYSWIM) it needs to show that it is comfortable with ordinary Anglicanism as well as the exotic fringe.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vaticanchic:
Beverley's always been a bit of a gamekeeper's job, I suppose. Is Glyn known around the region?

Not sure what you mean by a gamekeeper's job, but Glyn is a real Yorkie. He's been an active figure in the Diocese for all his years in ministry, and I hope he continues to be - Beverley is also a suffragan in the Diocese of York. He was until recently our Diocesan chair of the House of Clergy, and is Prolocutor of the Convocation of York, so a lot of clergy in the North will know him.

He seems to me as very much part of the mainstream CofE, and someone as much at home in an evangelical as will as an Anglo-Catholic setting.

He's very pastorally inclined, well liked by many people, and has a lovely sense of humour. I wish him every success in the role.

[ 31. August 2012, 11:37: Message edited by: Earwig ]

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:
quote:

<snip>

<snip>

For me, it would signify that my paunch has grown too big to be accommodated by single-breasted cassock!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glyn is a great appointment and should give some comfort to Northern Trad Caths that they're not being neglected.

Fulham is on the way.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean they've promoted you? [Biased]
'Going up' in the world? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

- Posted      Profile for +Chrism   Email +Chrism   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
Glyn is a great appointment and should give some comfort to Northern Trad Caths that they're not being neglected.

Fulham is on the way.

I totally agree Glyn is a great appointment and he's seems like someone who is in it for the long run and won't jump ship, if the going gets tough.

We Trads Caths in all over, thank you all for your continued support

--------------------
+In Nomine Patris Et Filio Sancti

Posts: 38 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
You mean they've promoted you? [Biased]
'Going up' in the world? [Big Grin]

I've spent quite enough time in London Diocese doing two jobs (still trying to stop being Acting Archdeacon!) I suspect that Fulham would be a bridge too far - both for that constituency and for me!

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

- Posted      Profile for +Chrism   Email +Chrism   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that would be amazing if we saw Suffragan See of Fulham on the Number 10 website and this below it:

The Queen has approved the nomination of the Right Reverend Peter Alan Broadbent MA DipTh to the Suffragan See of Fulham, in the Diocese of London.

Does anyone why the Canon Glyn's consecration is in the January and not before the end of the year

--------------------
+In Nomine Patris Et Filio Sancti

Posts: 38 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by +Chrism:
Does anyone why the Canon Glyn's consecration is in the January and not before the end of the year

There's only him and one other Canon running the Minster at the moment - if Glyn left before the new Dean was installed, the poor Precentor would have everything on his shoulders! I think it's a practical decision.
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

Plus there's only so many saints' days on which to ordain there chaps.

--------------------

Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

As I said in the OP, I wish Glyn well. Clearly, he's a good and decent man and he's been a busy-little-bee. But is there anything else that can be said?

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there anything else that needs to be said?
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

Yes, please.

And why isn't he going to Whitby?

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But is there anything else that can be said?

If there is something you want said (as there seems to be), then perhaps you could stop being coy and say it.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

I don't know the guy at all, but I'd love to hear from somebody who does! He must be more than a lovely man. Does he get angry? Is he funny? Does he hate & shout at clergy in "silly hats" like his predecessor?

In another thread, someone suggests Houlding is going to Fulham. Now, there's an oddbod - great. I like genuine people - characters with strong faith, so does the world out there, and I wonder if Glyn is such a man.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, neither of us could be said to know him, but Mrs A has been a great fan of him at a distance ever since she saw him on a BBC documentary a few years ago, striding round York in a Paul Smith scarf and having a party to celebrate switching on the Christmas lights outside his house in the Close. I did hear him preach once and he took as, as it were, his text from Joan Collins.
I rather like that kind of thing.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

quote:
I don't know the guy at all, but I'd love to hear from somebody who does! He must be more than a lovely man. Does he get angry? Is he funny? Does he hate & shout at clergy in "silly hats" like his predecessor?

In another thread, someone suggests Houlding is going to Fulham. Now, there's an oddbod - great. I like genuine people - characters with strong faith, so does the world out there, and I wonder if Glyn is such a man.

I know Glyn, and as I said above:

quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
He's very pastorally inclined, well liked by many people, and has a lovely sense of humour.

I've never seen him angry or shouting at anyone! I wouldn't call him an oddbod. He has a strong faith and is very caring. He started out as a nurse and I think there's something of that that's never left him. He's outgoing, gregarious and generous, and widely loved at the Minster.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016