homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Beards (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Beards
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A post I made about Karl Marx got me thinking about beards.

I have had my beard (a full one) since my late teens, except for my time in the army doing National Service.

Years ago, it was possible to come across conservatives (in the Brethren, at least) who thought Christians should not wear beards.

In my defence, I created an aggressive follicular theology which taught that every Christian man should have one, using my opponents’ veneration of the Bible, and their exegetical idiosyncrasies, against them.

The argument ran that the first mention (very significant!) of shaving in the Bible was Joseph’s denuding his chin to meet Pharaoh, because shaving was an Egyptian custom.

However, Egypt in the Bible supposedly speaks of the place outside God’s will and blessing, so shaving was a bad thing, as further shown by verses such as Isaiah 7:20, where it speaks of judgment.

Then there is Aaron’s beard in Psalm 133, the Lord’s beard in Isaiah 50:6, and David’s direction in II Samuel 10 to his humiliated emissaries to “tarry till your beards be grown”.

In reality, I couldn’t care less whether anyone has a beard or not, though I can’t say I am very fond of them on women.

Any other weirdo beardos out there?

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a goatee. I also have shoulder-length hair and wear sandals. I think I need no other faith credentials.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of my hair has slipped from my scalp to my chin... but, boy, does it save on haircuts!! Run the clippers over top & bottom every 2 weeks... saves a fortune! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another beardo checking in.

I used to have a full beard, back when I was 17. It went well with the waist-length hair [Smile] . The current goatee came into being on my brother's stag weekend as the result of a bet, and just kinda stuck around since then.

And yeah, anyone saying a beard is un-Christian hasn't really though it through.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About every three years I grrow one for about six months, and am told it's quite acceptable. Unfortunately it makes me feel some frigging fungus is attacking me and I eventually eradicate it.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a long van dyke, so long that I can plait it in ribbons for special occasions. It looks good when I am doing Kung Fu although it is a bit grey these days. I first grew it because as a teenager I was always cutting myself shaving and playing in a brass band with a cut lip is no fun at all.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meerkat:
Most of my hair has slipped from my scalp to my chin... but, boy, does it save on haircuts!! Run the clippers over top & bottom every 2 weeks... saves a fortune! [Big Grin]

Ditto. I'm variously compared to Clement Freud, Garibaldi, and Mick Fleetwood. Twenty-five years ago I was Terry Waite's double. You get the idea.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
About every three years I grrow one for about six months, and am told it's quite acceptable. Unfortunately it makes me feel some frigging fungus is attacking me and I eventually eradicate it.

Have you tried washing?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another beardie, a goatee. I started growing it at Uni (waaaay back in 1997) and always said I'd shave it off when I graduated (in 2001). I did graduate, but have never shaved it off and now all my id photos (passport, driving licence etc) have me with a beard and most people know me with a beard. So shaving it off would create more hassle that it's worth.

Plus, I quite like it (though I don't think my mum does...).

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
I have a long van dyke, so long that I can plait it in ribbons for special occasions.

My husband had a long beard. When our younger daughter was small, she used to climb up in his lap and braid it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bearded since 1987 continuously*. I had one for a while when I was first married, but after my wife took off, I grew it back.

*during chemotherapy in 2001, it disappeared on its own volition, but as soon as I could it grew again. It complements the lack of hair on my head.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As soon as I had to start shaving daily, I stopped. I found it a disagreeable experience and have maintained a beard ever since (one "friend" suggests that this is so, should I ever be sought by the authorities, a few minutes with a razor would render me unfindable as there are no photographs of me clean-shaven since the 1970s). I trim it about twice a week and carefully use conditioner after shampooing it.

One of my first encounters with Orthodoxy involved the late Sylvester of Montréal (perhaps flippantly) discussing the importance of beards. He suggested that only effeminate men would go about clean-shaven and wishing to be like women. One of his interlocutors offered that he knew many clean-shaven men who were most respectable, and fathers of families. Vladyka offered that they might be latent in their tendencies.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew a beard in the upper sixth for a role in a play we put on. I was envied by others because they weren't allowed in school so i was the only one.

I shaved it off in the summer before A' Levels.

I grew a beard in the autumn and shaved it off every spring from then onwards until it started to go gray and made me look old.

Now I am clean-shaven all the time.

[ 20. September 2012, 14:11: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clean shaven for a few reasons. Gill H (my wife) perfers me that way. I used to ballroom dance competativly so it was discouraged. I have always worked it catering and not haveing a beard looks better than haveing a beard in blue net.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was either clean shaven or with a mexican style droopy moustache through the 70s. From the mid 80s, as the hair disappeared from the head it apeared on the chin.

I spent 20 years alternating between full beard in winter and a goatee in summer until the appearance of grey meant I shaved it off.

I'm now old enough for grey not to matter. The goatee is back.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hubby has a full beard, has had one pretty much from the time he started shaving. He keeps is trimmed during the summer, but from about October til the end of February he grows it all shaggy and mountain man like. Luckily, I'm a huge fan of face fuzz [Big Grin]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We all grew beards in the 1970s and 80s. Commonly I had French braids in my hair as well. In the early 1990s, it started to turn rather grey and then quite white, so reduced it to a moustache in 2000. I stopped shaving for Movember* and kept it until Easter. I ended up considering it an Advent-Lent continuation and may repeat this year. Beards are a little troublesome in very cold weather as they freeze up, though that also stops excessive talking.

* growing of moustaches during the month of November to raise awareness of prostate cancer

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had a full but closely trimmed beard for about 15 years now. An earlier attempt was less successful (I shaved it off because I kept getting spots underneath it [Ultra confused] ). It's now got patches of grey but less than my hair. Even with it people always underestimate my age and without it I would look younger still. So I'll keep it until my vanity gets desperate.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most beardless place I know is China. We were visiting a temple off the beaten track.. Among the amenities was an old man with a rather mangy Bacterian camel with which, for a few yuan, you could be photographed. Well, his business was shot that afternoon. My husband, who has a full beard, was mildly mobbed by a crowd of young women, all wanting to be snapped. A gweilo! With a hairy face! A much more exotic beast.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
(I shaved it off because I kept getting spots underneath it [Ultra confused] ).

I've been accused of being too lazy to shave. What these people don't realise is that a beard is high maintenance. When you wash your face you need to make sure you was deep.

When you shave, which is just as often as a bare faced man, you need to be accurate around the beard edges. Shaving takes longer. Then you need to trim the beard regularly.

Top tip: When you wash your hair shampoo your beard as well. LRP appreciates my use of conditioner. Scratchy is not good.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Correction:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
When you wash your face you need to make sure you wash deep.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I merely have a mustache. I've had it a long time. I think one reason I grew it was that I am clumsy and kept cutting my upper lip when I shaved. I do sometimes think of getting rid of it.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

When you shave, which is just as often as a bare faced man, you need to be accurate around the beard edges. Shaving takes longer. Then you need to trim the beard regularly.

I have a full, close beard which I trim (using an electrical trimmer thing) about once a fortnight. That's about as much maintenance as it gets.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goatee in warm months, full beard when it gets cold here.

quote:

Top tip: When you wash your hair shampoo your beard as well. LRP appreciates my use of conditioner. Scratchy is not good.

This.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
kaytee
Shipmate
# 3482

- Posted      Profile for kaytee   Email kaytee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading this thread has made me realise that I can't remember ever seeing my dad wash his beard, which he has had since long before I was born. But then I don't remember seeing him wash the rest of his face either... I guess his time in the bathroom is private!

He doesn't shave at all, just trims his beard with scissors when it gets too bushy.

--------------------
'Lying is a vital survival skill – and a terrible habit.' ~ The Doctor

Posts: 152 | From: Hertfordshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a beard. I keep mine trimmed close-ish... I think maybe 3/8"? I've never measured.

I do shampoo my beard every morning when I wash my hair. It just does much better that way. I hadn't thought about conditioner, though.

I used to be clean shaven, but I worked at a golf course one summer and was getting up at 4AM to shave. I quickly decided that was for the birds, and within two weeks had a full beard. I've kept it since. I trimmed it too close by mistake once or twice, but I've only shaved it off once. I quickly decided that was a huge mistake, so I grew it right back.

Oh, and you might find this site interesting.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see how you guys resist the call of the blade on hot, sweaty summer days. It's all I can do to keep from shaving my head.
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's why I keep it close trimmed. When I see someone with an Edward Lear beard in summer it does make me feel uncomfortably sweaty.

This is something which is never pointed out when it comes to electric shavers: they are really unpleasant in a humid climate.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beardy-weirdy and proud of it.

Although I think I'm unusual in my variability. I think - and please correct me if I'm wrong - most men either never have a beard or have one for years. I tend to grow a beard, keep it for a few months and then get bored - or have an important job interview - or be pressured by women in my life - and shave it off, and be clean shaven for a while.

One thing that really intrigues me is the absolute freedom people feel to comment on beards - in a way they wouldn't about other things; everyone seems to think that their insights are valuable (they rarely are) and that I really want to know what they think (I don't).

The other issue for me as a man in his thirties who allegedly is a professional is that I do have a baby face - and hence feel more comfortable with a beard as it makes me look late twenties rather than about 19. In ten years time I may have a different view on this.

And as I have no woman in my life presently ( [Frown] ) I have very little incentive to shave - it's so much less hassle to do a biweekly trim...!

BAFZ (Bearded Alien from Zog)

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My woman wants me to shave, just so she can see how I look unshaven. I'm not going to do it, though.

I've never found my beard to be too hot, and I live in a place where summertime temps approach (and often pass) 37C and humidity stays above 70%. I guess it's what you're used to. But mine is really quite short, so that probably helps.

My only gripes are that the area round my mouth often feel greasy, and my mustache bugs me when it gets over 1/2". Mainly it starts messing with my nose hairs, thereby making my nose itch. I keep both offending parties trimmed.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moustache hairs also get caught in the ring-pull thingy on soft drink and beer cans, which is exquisitely painful.
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
My woman wants me to shave, just so she can see how I look unshaven. I'm not going to do it, though.

My wife was the same, so I shaved it off. She was horrified by my weak chin - cunningly concealed until then through 20 years together.

I allowed the beard to grow back. We didn't talk about it anymore except, a few months later she said "I prefer you with more of your face covered up".

We've now been together for 30 years: I'm not going to take a risk like that again.

[oops: small typo shaved off and a stray comma tweaked out]

[ 21. September 2012, 08:01: Message edited by: que sais-je ]

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am one of the least hairy people I know and my one attempt at growing a bear back in the mid-80s was an abject failure! HWMBO grows a beard, keeps it a while then shaves it off. I like him with a beard but he changes his mind all the time.

[edited so that it made some semblance of sense]

[ 21. September 2012, 08:18: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a goatee.

Through most of my 20s I was officially non-bearded but in practice often had 2,3,more days of beard growth due to laziness. I tried full beards and found them too itchy.

I've had a goatee for 15+ years now and have occasionally shaved it off to remind myself what I look like without. I look younger but chubbier. The other advantage of a goatee is I find it low maintenance. There's less to shave than being fully clean-shaven and less to trim in the beard department. Also if I miss a day, or shave quickly and miss a spot, the contrast means you still look relatively tidy - more so than a clean-shaven man with stubble.

However now most of the lower part of the beard is white (that picture is a few years old) whilst my hair is still dark-ish with grey streaks. So I could either shave it, or dye it. But either militates against my natural laziness.

[dye not die]

[ 21. September 2012, 10:08: Message edited by: Late Paul ]

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by que sais-je:
My wife was the same, so I shaved it off. She was horrified by my weak chin - cunningly concealed until then through 20 years together.

I allowed the beard to grow back. We didn't talk about it anymore except, a few months later she said "I prefer you with more of your face covered up".

I once put my long hair up in a french twist, thinking myself quite elegant for the evening, and my husband told me it, "showed too much of my face." I asked him, hotly, if he thought I should put a bag over my head, which made the bystanders laugh in the theatre. Embarrassment is a fine revenge.

As for weak chins, Norman Rockwell loved weak chins. It's one reason most of his characters seem so sweet and lovable. I've often wished mine was less "determined," looking. It makes me look like the sort of person who would be touchy and bad tempered.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I am one of the least hairy people I know and my one attempt at growing a bear back in the mid-80s ...

this made me get such a dirty mind! vroom...
[Devil]

to chime in from a straight chick's perspective - nicely trimmed and clean beards are sexy. shaggy things that look like something crawled onto your face and died are not. clean shaven is nice too, if you have to face for it. if you have a weak chin - grow some hair!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
.... Norman Rockwell loved weak chins. It's one reason most of his characters seem so sweet and lovable.

Thanks Twilight, that makes me feel better.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Full set, of course. It does however get trimmed (electrically, just around the edges, daily) when I'm at home, takes about 20 seconds. When I'm on holiday it tends to be left to grow, but it doesn't look much different. Once in a while it gets trimmed on length.

I have given up putting lighted fuses in it.

Unfortunately it is no longer black.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew a beard whilst at university (early 1980's), mainly because I was too cheap to buy razor blades. And there was the incentive that my dad had a beard (grown on holiday in the early 1970's when he 'forgot' to pack his razor ...).

I kept the beard until 1990, when I got a job that involved occasional work in a clean room. In deference to the clean room, the rule for the site was simple enough - all staff had to be clean-shaven, women too. As I urgently needed the job (previous two years unemployed) the beard had to go. As this was the beginning of February, workplace at 1100 feet above sea level, shaving the beard off was quite a sacrifice.

Once it was off, St Gwladys made it very clear that it was not to re-appear. I abided this ruling until October 2009, when my dad died. As he had been the last bearded member of the family, it was my duty ( [Razz] ) to grow a beard. So I did.

I keep it trimmed to #1 (3mm) with an electric hedge trimmer (OK, hair and beard trimmer) so there is only 3mm for St Gwladys to object to.

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:
I abided this ruling until October 2009, when my dad died. As he had been the last bearded member of the family, it was my duty ( [Razz] ) to grow a beard. So I did.

I would remind you that your son and your nephew have facial hair.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son and my nephew have bum fluff.

It doesn't count.

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vollbard, as they say in Rheinish land. I grew one at university, along with my hair (a relationship ended badly...), and didn't shave for 5 years. I hacked at it (the beard) with scissors every so often: the hair grew long enough to sit on. As I was doing geology, no one batted an eyelid.

And then I shaved it off and got my hair cut, but only to the middle of my back, when I was 23 or so. It was bloody cold, and I shaved every day for the next twenty or so years, except at festivals when I let the increasingly white stubble grow out.

Then last year, I grew it back, with permission from Mrs Tor. It looks like a badger's arse, but I am now distinguished and noble once again. I'm tempted to go for the full Darwin, but for now, I keep it trimmed with an electric trimmer.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:
My son and my nephew have bum fluff.

It doesn't count.

The Cousin has a fine beard at the moment. Until this evening I had a fine moustache. I shall have words next time I am home.

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad has had a beard all my life except for one time, when he shaved it off to emcee in drag for a New Year's Eve entertainment. At that time we lived above his work, so he worked all day with a beard, came upstairs, shaved, and made his entrance beardless and in a dress. Not surprisingly, it took a while for him to be recognised, and I think one dear old lady never did figure it out!

My husband is more of a lazy shaver, and I may have to try and sneak the conditioner into his routine, as his seems to be prickly at any length from 6 hours after shaving onwards.

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On shaving off my beard one morning c.25 years ago I traumatised Eldest Son! He came out of his bedroom just as I came out of the bathroom, having just shaved off the beard I had had since he was a couple of months old. Mrs Sioni spent the rest of the day reassuring him that it was "Daddy without a beard" but when I got home from work, he fled to his room without his tea! This was unheard of.

Next day, I went to work, came home and there wasn't a problem. He just needed to sleep on it.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

Have you tried washing?
No matter how hard I wash it doesn't come off, and in the end I have to use a razor [Frown]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. Red is under strict orders to never shave his beard - I've never seen him without it and I don't think at my advanced age I could take the shock of waking up to a strange man presiding over the coffeemaker.

Plus when he wears a turtleneck sweater, everyone thinks he's a professor.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mother Julian

Ship's librarian
# 11978

- Posted      Profile for Mother Julian   Author's homepage   Email Mother Julian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beardy weirdie most of my adult life. Full set. Originally dark with gingerish areas, then with grey areas, now white just about all over. I hate shaving, it gives me a rash. Fortunately, my wife is very keen on my beard, the longer the better for her. Barely tolerated at work, so I keep it shortish, trimming it every fortnight. I look forward to retirement when I can complete my transmogrification into Captain Birdseye, and visit a local Orthodox church without feeling I'm letting the side down.

--------------------
The corn was orient and immortal wheat which never should be reaped, nor was ever sown.

Posts: 359 | From: the banks of the mighty River Mersey | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I last had a full set in the early 1990s when I had a full head of hair. I loved it, but the then Mrs Binge didn't. Alas it had to go, but my revenge was a full-on Freddie Mercury moustache for a day, photographic evidence of which exists somewhere.

I am seriously pondering growing a full set again, waiting until after the Beach Boys concert in London next week when I shall be entertaining in a gentlemanly way a good ladyfriend who didn't like the beard in the old days..

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my wife and i were dating, back in the seventies, I grew a beard every year then shaved it off. I passed for 22 at age 17 because I had a full beard though not much of a moustache. I had a full beard on my wedding day but shaved it off less than a year later. I briefly had a goatee when I was forty. Due too advancing age and multi-coloured beard, I shall never grow one again! I have a moustache which is still largely brown and if I wear a hat to cover my white hair, I can pass for someone in his late forties as opposed to pushing sixty!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016