homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Really? The Loch Ness Fucking Monster?? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Really? The Loch Ness Fucking Monster??
Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's rare that I'm surprised by the shitbrains of American fundamentalists, who strive at every turn to fill even the heathen children's heads with nonscientific YEC propaganda dressed up in the guise of scientific knowledge, but this is beyond the pale:

How American fundamentalists are using Nessie to disprove evolution.

REALLY? The Loch Ness monster?? THAT'S your argument that scientists don't know what they're talking about? Some hazy pictures and local folk lore about a fictional beast that sounds kinda like a dinosaur disproves evolutionary biology?

I'm so fucking tired of these brainless, dickless, friendless, loveless, soulless, dishonest, disreputable, malodorous, malevolent, pants-on-head-on-fire-insane backward toothless fucknuggets shitting up Christianity and shitting up the United States. 40 years ago we were sending humans to the moon. 40 years from now we'll be condemning the internal combustion engine as a form of sorcery. [Mad]

Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, fundies may be tiring, but do bear in mind that there seems to be a tendency among those of the opposite extreme to conflate science with a particular philosophy - something I find particularly wearisome and not very intelligent or honest.

So perhaps if certain vociferous fanatics give up associating science with atheism, you might just find a bit more moderation on the fundie front.

Just as "violence begets violence", so idiocy begets idiocy.

A bit more light and less heat, methinks.

In fact, instead of referring to certain people as "shitbrains" and "fucknuggets" (how very mature of you!), why not actually try to make some effort to understand their concerns? Or is that too much trouble for you on your self-righteous soapbox?

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welp, I'm convinced!

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
In fact, instead of referring to certain people as "shitbrains" and "fucknuggets" (how very mature of you!), why not actually try to make some effort to understand their concerns? Or is that too much trouble for you on your self-righteous soapbox?

I understand their concerns:

1) Some never developed beyond the intellectual level of an eight-year old and are incapable of grasping metaphor and symbolic thought - Genesis must be literally, factually true in every detail or else nothing in the Bible is of any use;

2) Others see any change as threatening the entire order of society - for heaven's sake, we even let women vote and wear pants!

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mockingale:
I'm so fucking tired of these brainless... [etc]

So dinosaurs coexisting with humans is stupid, but it’s totally reasonable to believe that a bloke who was conceived without sexual union and born to a bronze-age Middle-Eastern peasant virgin woman was in fact also God The Fuckoff Almighty (who has really sick Superpowers and made the universe and everything in it) as well as the Holy Ghost, who (it says in some tatty old manuscrips that were written a century later) mooched about a random patch of desert a couple of thousand years ago telling everyone to be nice, and variously healed the blind, cleansed leprosy, reversed paralysis, resolved perpetual menorrhagia, cured dropsy, withered hands and deafness, calmed storms and walked on water, raised the dead and turned water into wine, who promptly got executed by the local authorities, and, after being dead for three days came back to life again and thereby bought every single man woman and child who ever lived a free ticket to an eternal life of perfect bliss in heaven after we all die.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:

So dinosaurs coexisting with humans is stupid, but it’s totally reasonable to believe that a bloke who was conceived without sexual union and born to a bronze-age Middle-Eastern peasant virgin woman was in fact also God The Fuckoff Almighty (who has really sick Superpowers and made the universe and everything in it) as well as the Holy Ghost, who (it says in some tatty old manuscrips that were written a century later) mooched about a random patch of desert a couple of thousand years ago telling everyone to be nice, and variously healed the blind, cleansed leprosy, reversed paralysis, resolved perpetual menorrhagia, cured dropsy, withered hands and deafness, calmed storms and walked on water, raised the dead and turned water into wine, who promptly got executed by the local authorities, and, after being dead for three days came back to life again and thereby bought every single man woman and child who ever lived a free ticket to an eternal life of perfect bliss in heaven after we all die.
Thank you for proving that you're not one iota smarter than the dickless fundie retards for the first "concern" stated in my last comment.
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yorick is a fundie, an athiest fundie.

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Unlike the ACE, none of us is claiming any of that stuff is scientifically verifiable.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good point. I was trying to be a bit tongue in cheek, of course, but the point is that we all have our beliefs, and that's all they are.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no, that's not true. There's nothing like belief, backed up with feeling to become motivated true belief, unshakable to its core. This is why some of us are concerned when people go in for fringe ideas based on new ideas that avoid any context or tradition. The rise of fundamentalism of all kinds, Christian, Hindu, Atheist and Islamic are all problematic.

The OP may be a little excitable and over the top, but I personally enjoyed the long string of epithets in the third paragraph and will spend quite a while trying to understand some of the words.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Of course we don't believe that - we're not stupid. She was an iron age peasant ...

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
we all have our beliefs, and that's all they are.

But this is an actual monster in an actual loch in actual Scotland! All it needs is a boatload of true believers prayerfully letting down their nets, and the scaly, writhing refutation of all those godless scientists (of whom marine palaeontologists are the worst) will appear.

Of course, it will be costly. But what are a few hundred thousand dollars compared to the vindication of the truth! Give generously!

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem with fundamentalists is that they really do not get scientific theory, and the idea of testing a working hypothesis against empirical evidence. They confuse that with their own eisegenic way of engaging Scripture.

And that in turn is, I think, an indictment of the sorry state of science education in our country, hampered as it is by a combination of underfunding, inadequately trained/interested teachers and ideological/political meddling in public education.

[ 26. June 2012, 20:02: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, whatever so-called YEC "scientists" practice, it ain't science. They begin by stating their conclusion as fact, and selectively choose "evidence" that seems to support it.

And the utter misunderstanding of the term "theory" would be [Killing me] if it wasn't so [Eek!] .

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually enjoyed the OP, and have a certain sympathy with Mockingale's concerns, but I can't be the only old Shippie who sees Mockingale's avatar and has flashbacks...

Now you young-uns run along and play while Grandpa sits over here in the sun and snoozes...

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

quote:
Originally posted by Lothiriel:
Yeah, whatever so-called YEC "scientists" practice, it ain't science. They begin by stating their conclusion as fact, and selectively choose "evidence" that seems to support it.

And the utter misunderstanding of the term "theory" would be [Killing me] if it wasn't so [Eek!] .

It would all be amusing in a sort of pathetic way if there weren't state and local governments that repeatedly try to force this bullshit on kids at public schools. The fundamentalists have political influence far beyond their numbers and if it were up to them, we'd be in the dark ages.
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't feel so bad, if they find out that Nessie likes mates of her/his same sex, that will refute their attitude against homosexuality.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

Oh, that we could just give the fundamentalists an island somewhere with plenty of food and water and see where they get themselves after 50 years of pure godly ignorance. I bet they'll be burning witches and attempting to cure common maladies with leeches and tinctures of nightshade.

Better them than us.

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

But this is an actual monster in an actual loch in actual Scotland! All it needs is a boatload of true believers prayerfully letting down their nets, and the scaly, writhing refutation of all those godless scientists (of whom marine palaeontologists are the worst) will appear.

Of course, it will be costly. But what are a few hundred thousand dollars compared to the vindication of the truth! Give generously!

But don't you know? Tom Baker killed Nessie back in '75! I thought everybody knew that!

[ 26. June 2012, 20:49: Message edited by: AristonAstuanax ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know when I first read your idea of an island, my first thought was England (even if it is wagging it's Scottish tail). [Devil]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:
You know when I first read your idea of an island, my first thought was England (even if it is wagging it's Scottish tail). [Devil]

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks! England, you are now our Australia. xoxo North America
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
I actually enjoyed the OP, and have a certain sympathy with Mockingale's concerns, but I can't be the only old Shippie who sees Mockingale's avatar and has flashbacks...

Now you young-uns run along and play while Grandpa sits over here in the sun and snoozes...

No, you're not the only one! [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
But don't you know? Tom Baker killed Nessie back in '75! I thought everybody knew that!

He fucking WHAT???!

Uncool!
[Mad]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's ok, it was only a flesh wound.
[The synopsis decribes Nessie going back to the Loch]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I was hoping to use this thread to have a nice long sneer at the Americans, and then I discovered this, from TES.

quote:
Exams for an Evangelical Christian curriculum in which pupils have been taught that the Loch Ness monster disproves evolution and racial segregation is beneficial have been ruled equivalent to international A- levels by a UK government agency.

The National Recognition Information Centre (Naric), which guides universities and employers on the validity of different qualifications, has judged the International Certificate of Christian Education (ICCE) officially comparable to qualifications offered by the Cambridge International exam board.

[Eek!] [Mad] [Eek!] [Mad] [Mad] [Eek!] [Mad] [Eek!]

[ 26. June 2012, 23:08: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The fundamentalists have political influence far beyond their numbers and if it were up to them, we'd be in the dark ages.

It's stuff like this that makes me sooo glad all my American forebears skedaddled north in the revolution. (Not that I'd be around to care if they hadn't.)

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Might as well set the record straight. A very decent Métís man told me a decade ago how he was spring hunting ducks on Great Slave Lake in the NWT. He said he saw a family of ducks, mother and a half dozen babies. A 'log' rose up out of the water and swallowed up mother duck and most of the babies in one gulp. Then dove. He estimated the length as about 20 feet, with width about 15 inches. We call the fish that was this 'log' a jack in many parts of Canada. You may know it as a northern pike.

I submit that Nessie, if ever existed, is either a jack or was developed from a story of big old jackfish.

As for your fundamentalists, they may be invited to swim with these fresh water sharks. If the water temperature doesn't take them first.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks! England, you are now our Australia. xoxo North America

Not sure about this - I thought we populated Australia with our criminals - we sent the (worst of our) religious fruitcakes across the pond - where some of them appear to have flourished.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Don't feel so bad, if they find out that Nessie likes mates of her/his same sex, that will refute their attitude against homosexuality.

The thread title claims Nessie is a fucking monster so she must be mating with something. .

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
OK, I was hoping to use this thread to have a nice long sneer at the Americans, and then I discovered this, from TES.

No matter the pond or border crossed, we all have our share of nutters.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I completely fail to see how, even if the existence of the Loch Ness Monster was proved, it would have ANYTHING to say about evolution vs creationism that isn't already said by other animals that can be spotted much more easily.

I mean, is anyone really stupid enough to think there's something magic about the word 'dinosaur'? There are plenty of other creatures around that are said to have been around at the same time as the dinosaurs. What the hell is the difference between dinosaur-era creatures co-existing with us and actual dinosaurs co-existing with us?

Or plesiosaurs, to be strictly correct.

[ 27. June 2012, 02:50: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are expecting reason and sound logic from such as these? Beginning to question your sanity, then.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know, I know. I'm just thinking of the poor Louisiana school children who could be learning about spiders (for example) as proof of YEC instead of Nessie. It would be so much easier to believe in YEC if you had the proof right there in your neighbourhood, instead of relying on fuzzy photographs from thousands of miles away.

[ 27. June 2012, 05:55: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Might as well set the record straight. A very decent Métís man told me a decade ago how he was spring hunting ducks on Great Slave Lake in the NWT. He said he saw a family of ducks, mother and a half dozen babies. A 'log' rose up out of the water and swallowed up mother duck and most of the babies in one gulp. Then dove. He estimated the length as about 20 feet, with width about 15 inches. We call the fish that was this 'log' a jack in many parts of Canada. You may know it as a northern pike.

I think you might mean a Muskellunge, they grow bigger. There is a theory it might also have been some form of large eel,

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

An uncommon North American fish doesn't strike me as that much more likely a candidate for Nessie than a plesiosaur. You could at least be trying for an uncommon European fish.

Then again, I suppose someone letting loose a pair of muskellunge in Loch Ness circa 1802 might have done the trick...

The jack/northern pike, on the other hand, is indeed native to Britain as well as North America.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we have already established upthread that dinosaurs became extinct because they were gay. Apart from velociraptors, who turned into bluetits. It was while King James was fishing on the banks of Loch Ness that he saw something that caused him to insist the translators of his bible put in references to Leviathan (since he didn't know the word 'dinosaur' - this being before evil science was invented). He also wrote a book about witches, or, as we know them, feminists.

I donate the above paragraph to the educators of Louisiana. It seems to me to meet, if not exceed, their requirements for coherence and accuracy.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a conversation with the Monster of Loch Ness last year, and she confirmed to me that she recently converted to Orthodoxism.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:

No matter the pond or border crossed, we all have our share of nutters.
I know we've got nutters. I didn't know our government endorsed them.

(At least, not that sort of nutter. Our government usually endorses a better class of nutter, like the House of Saud, who are actual royalty.)

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

I love you, Firenze.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, y'all just calm down here, right now.
Any parts of the Bible that strike you as not quite reasonable are clearly the work of a later redactor, writing in metaphoric teaching mode to present a specific point of view, which may well not apply to current times.
Try reading that way; it is amazingly comforting.
Oh, Yorick will still burn, but for the rest of you, it's all good if you will just read the Bible properly.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In A Walk In The Woods Bill Bryson, commenting on the proposed (at the time) law in Tennessee to outlaw the teaching of evolution, says:

quote:
The problem for Tennesseeans is not that they are descended from apes, but that they may soon be overtaken by them.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the fact that otters can do synchronised swimming and therefore look like a lake monster is proof of Intelligent Design?

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
<snip> Apart from velociraptors, who turned into bluetits. <snip>

I donate the above paragraph to the educators of Louisiana. It seems to me to meet, if not exceed, their requirements for coherence and accuracy.

They won't like that bit. The YECcies I worked with really really didn't like the implication that dinosaurs had evolved into birds, y'see it's basically saying evolution exists. The dinosaurs, they're the monsters in the Bible that have all died out y'know.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The YECcies I worked with really really didn't like the implication that dinosaurs had evolved into birds, y'see it's basically saying evolution exists. The dinosaurs, they're the monsters in the Bible that have all died out y'know.

They would say that, wouldn't they? Just wait til the bluetits work out how to operate the door handles...
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Liopleurodon can give us the straight goods on Nessie. [Biased] OliviaG
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
]I think you might mean a Muskellunge, they grow bigger. There is a theory it might also have been some form of large eel,

This could probably morph into a circus thread. How about a mutant jack-muskie-pleisosaur cross dumped into the lake by Eric the Red on one of his viking visitations to the area? The vikings being well know to engage in genetic engineering 1000+ years ago. It is just as plausible as the OP's fundie complaint.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem with this argument is not that Dinosaurs (or animals around at the time of dinosaurs) are still one earth. There are plenty of such species known to science (popular science tends to call them living fossils, without having to go into the dubious like nessie. Why use nessie when your local friendly alligator would do? However given that these exist and recognised as such by science why do they think that is a problem for evolution, if something no longer needs to evolve it probably won't.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
quote:
quote:

No, he didn't! He threw Broton's homing device at the Skaresen, which promptly swallowed it, thus releasing it from Zygon control; the Doctor speculated that it would then return to Loch Ness as this was the only home it had know for so many centuries.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
]I think you might mean a Muskellunge, they grow bigger. There is a theory it might also have been some form of large eel,

This could probably morph into a circus thread. How about a mutant jack-muskie-pleisosaur cross dumped into the lake by Eric the Red on one of his viking visitations to the area? The vikings being well know to engage in genetic engineering 1000+ years ago. It is just as plausible as the OP's fundie complaint.
Personally, I favour the fermenting pine log theory, with a side order of misidentified seals, seiches and sporadic hoaxing - the lake itself just doesn't have enough food in for anything really large anyway. There was a theory there may be a hidden way out to the sea, but no one has been able to verify that.

[ETA My reference to Muskellunge was because when I read the wiki on the northern pike, it said it was muskellunge that were known as jack fish.]

[ 27. June 2012, 18:17: Message edited by: Think² ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
No, he didn't! He threw Broton's homing device at the Skaresen, which promptly swallowed it, thus releasing it from Zygon control; the Doctor speculated that it would then return to Loch Ness as this was the only home it had know for so many centuries.

Isn't that a relief. You just don't knock off a crypto-biological treasure, I don't care if you are a Timelord.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The YECcies I worked with really really didn't like the implication that dinosaurs had evolved into birds, y'see it's basically saying evolution exists. The dinosaurs, they're the monsters in the Bible that have all died out y'know.

They would say that, wouldn't they? Just wait til the bluetits work out how to operate the door handles...
That is about the most delightful image my addled brain has been offered in days. I am annoying people in the comp lab with my giggling.

[ 27. June 2012, 19:27: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016