homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How To Be A Bad Christian (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: How To Be A Bad Christian
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a new book coming out by Dave Tomlison called How To Be A Bad Christian......And A Better Human Being.

Reviewed on St Paul's Cathedral website like this:

quote:
Lots of people think that being a Christian is being a ‘good person’ – going to church a lot, or believing in a list of strange things, or following certain rules.

Dave Tomlinson thinks being a Christian isn’t about any of that, and that following Jesus is a lot easier, and more fun, than most people think.

How to Be a Bad Christian (Hodder 2012) is his guide to, among other things, how to talk to God without worrying about prayer, how to read the Bible without turning off your brain, how to think with your soul rather than trying to follow rules, and ultimately about being the person you’ve always wanted to be, following a God you’ve always hoped is on your side

I'm intrigued by the idea.

I certainly think following Jesus is more fun than most people make it out to be.

Is this bloke worth a read? Or does he chuck out the church with his theology?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's certainly an interesting premise and I would imagine it could be helpful starting point for certain outreach ministries, but I'm wary of such an individualistic approach to what it means to be part of God's family. For me family is a key word - it's not about goodness in particular, it's about living in relationship with God and with others through God's power, and naturally the outcome is behaving in a way most people would describe as good.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm hooked.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the bloke who used to be a house-church leader, coined the term "Post-Evangelical" in his book of that name, and finally ended up as a CofE vicar in London. He's pretty theologically orthodox (Catholic lite with evangelical roots) and socially liberal (read "inclusive"), AFAIR, so alright by me, as they say.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

I think the latter. There are clues in the review which suggest all is not well, for example:
  1. "how to talk to God without worrying about prayer" - what's that supposed to mean?
  2. "how to read the Bible without turning off your brain" - does that mean an orthodox interpretation is the equivalent of having one's brain switched off?
  3. "...and ultimately about being the person you’ve always wanted to be, following a God you’ve always hoped is on your side" - something fundamentally wrong here - does he mean being a christian is about doing what you want and hoping God is pleased?

I may of course be wrong, but if so he needs to change his advertising agent.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
quote:

I think the latter. There are clues in the review which suggest all is not well, for example:
  1. "how to talk to God without worrying about prayer" - what's that supposed to mean?
  2. "how to read the Bible without turning off your brain" - does that mean an orthodox interpretation is the equivalent of having one's brain switched off?
  3. "...and ultimately about being the person you’ve always wanted to be, following a God you’ve always hoped is on your side" - something fundamentally wrong here - does he mean being a christian is about doing what you want and hoping God is pleased?

It makes good sense to me. Prayer is associated with guilt inducing ideas in many people's minds. Talking to God cuts neatly round the dutiful and worthy preconceptions we may have and says clearly what it's all about.

It's predominantly Evangelicals who are most guilty of reading the bible with their brains turned off. I think it's a common fault.

And becoming the person you always wanted to be? I can see why that might alarm some fearful souls, but think of 'my yoke is easy' or 'for freedom Christ has set us free!' or 'Love God and do what you will,' or coming down 'where we ought to be.'

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
quote:
quote:

It makes good sense to me. Prayer is associated with guilt inducing ideas in many people's minds. Talking to God cuts neatly round the dutiful and worthy preconceptions we may have and says clearly what it's all about.

It's predominantly Evangelicals who are most guilty of reading the bible with their brains turned off. I think it's a common fault.

And becoming the person you always wanted to be? I can see why that might alarm some fearful souls, but think of 'my yoke is easy' or 'for freedom Christ has set us free!' or 'Love God and do what you will,' or coming down 'where we ought to be.'

Jesus' yoke is easy because it involves death to self and sin, though. 'Being the person you always wanted to be' seems at odds with Jeremiah 17:9 and Romans 6:11. Jesus' death and resurrection being necessary in the first place means that serving God and serving ourselves* are mutually exclusive.

*serving ourselves = serving ourselves only, since of course we get good things from serving God

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I think the latter.
He describes himself as 'post-Evangelical'. That gives a clue about the experiences he has come through.
quote:

There are clues in the review which suggest all is not well, for example:

I know way too many people who pray with a conscious effort to do so for longer and louder than everyone else. 'Look how mighty a wo/man of prayer I am'. No, I'm not convinced, Dave Tomlinson neither. I can't speak for God, but He hears everyone's prayers.
quote:
  • "how to read the Bible without turning off your brain" - does that mean an orthodox interpretation is the equivalent of having one's brain switched off?

• It means studying the Bible for yourself, rather than taking the party line.
    quote:
  • "...and ultimately about being the person you’ve always wanted to be, following a God you’ve always hoped is on your side" - something fundamentally wrong here - does he mean being a christian is about doing what you want and hoping God is pleased?

• Being the person you want to be and doing anything that floats your boat are very different: there's the 'being' and 'doing' dichotomy for a start. The hope of salvation ought to convince you that God is 'on your side' and wants you to be you, not some cartoon cut-out conformist, pew-filler.
    quote:

Give him some mileage, though your's varies from it considerably.

--------------------
    "He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
    Chorister

Completely Frocked
    # 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    I've been a bad Christian for as many years as I care to remember. It's so good to see that Dave Tomlinson has caught up. [Biased]

--------------------
    Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Yerevan
    Shipmate
    # 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Is this bloke worth a read?
    Judging by his last book ("Re-imagining Chistianity"?...something like that), no. I wanted to like it, having heard that his post-evangelicalism book was decent, but it was literally the most flimsy, vacuous thing I've ever had the misfortune to read (and I used to mark undergraduate essays for a living [Razz] ). Mercifully I've blanked most of the details from my mind, but I vaguely remember a poorly argued and spectacularly uncritical Liberal Theology 101 rehash, written by someone who seemed to think that ideas which had been floating around for half a century were New, Shiney and The Future [here ends my Rant in E Minor].

So no, I won't be rushing out and buying this one...

[ 28. June 2012, 17:05: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
    iamchristianhearmeroar
    Shipmate
    # 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Opposite view from me - having read his previous book and heard him speaking I'd say it's worth a read! (Personal preference etc etc)

--------------------
    My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
    Mockingale
    Shipmate
    # 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    There is a new book coming out by Dave Tomlison called How To Be A Bad Christian......And A Better Human Being.

Reviewed on St Paul's Cathedral website like this:

quote:
    Lots of people think that being a Christian is being a ‘good person’ – going to church a lot, or believing in a list of strange things, or following certain rules.

Dave Tomlinson thinks being a Christian isn’t about any of that, and that following Jesus is a lot easier, and more fun, than most people think.

How to Be a Bad Christian (Hodder 2012) is his guide to, among other things, how to talk to God without worrying about prayer, how to read the Bible without turning off your brain, how to think with your soul rather than trying to follow rules, and ultimately about being the person you’ve always wanted to be, following a God you’ve always hoped is on your side

I'm intrigued by the idea.

I certainly think following Jesus is more fun than most people make it out to be.

The whole "personal relationship with Jesus Christ good/religion bad" thing is one of the more ridiculous tropes of the evangelicals. Most of the New Testament talks about living together as a community of believers.
    Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
    Sioni Sais
    Shipmate
    # 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mockingale:
    The whole "personal relationship with Jesus Christ good/religion bad" thing is one of the more ridiculous tropes of the evangelicals. Most of the New Testament talks about living together as a community of believers.

And except for an hour a week, few Christians go very far towards that admirable end.

If Christ is to be your Saviour, isn't it worth trying to get to know Him better?

--------------------
    "He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
    Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
    # 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    I saw a couple of talks last year by Dave Tomlinson when he was writing this book, one was based on this and called "How to be a Bad Christian". If I remember correctly, he was reflecting on his experiences as a North London vicar and how so many people said they were bad Christians because they weren't in church and weren't doing the expected Christian things. He thought that many of them were being good Christians in many ways and that beliefs in God have been so caught up church directions that we've lost touch with what being a Christian means. He was suggesting ways to be better Christians and change the ways we do church to enable this.

That talk was incredibly inspiring, so was his parish away day on Re-enchanting Christianity.

--------------------
    Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
    Mockingale
    Shipmate
    # 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mockingale:

And except for an hour a week, few Christians go very far towards that admirable end.

If Christ is to be your Saviour, isn't it worth trying to get to know Him better?

There's a difference between promoting personal devotion as complementary to communal worship, and claiming that communal worship is an obstacle to knowing Christ. And maybe that's more the fault of some editorial license with the title than the contents of the book itself.
    Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
    Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
    # 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    How to be Bad Christian was Dave Tomlinson's own title - it's what he was calling it over a year ago, when he came to talk to us about the ideas. I am not sure quite how it came about, because I suspect it came out of the planning of the talk with the Rector here.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
    Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
    # 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Don't forget that "Bad" is one of those words where, for a while, it was cool to use it to mean the exact opposite. It was a while ago tho...

--------------------
    "We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
    Bran Stark
    Shipmate
    # 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Sounds a bit like that "Hate religion but love Jesus" guy on YouTube. Just playing around with words to sound new and exciting and "relevant". There is nothing new under the sun.

--------------------
    IN SOVIET ЯUSSIA, SIGNATUЯE ЯEAD YOU!

Johnny S
    Shipmate
    # 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    His previous books have been so-so.

Someone, who shall remain anonymous, did say that he eats babies and that the money he stumped up to publish this book came from his people trafficking syndicate.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
    Hairy Biker
    Shipmate
    # 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Don't forget that "Bad" is one of those words where, for a while, it was cool to use it to mean the exact opposite. It was a while ago tho...

Wicked!

--------------------
    there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
    Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
    Evangeline
    Shipmate
    # 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Johnny S:
    His previous books have been so-so.

Someone, who shall remain anonymous, did say that he eats babies and that the money he stumped up to publish this book came from his people trafficking syndicate.

[Two face]

Interesting....but given he's not on Youtube providing recipes for baby stew or selling books that give sordid accounts of his life as a people trafficker, or seeing visions of how happy people are to be trafficked, I'll have to discount your anonymous source until such time as there is some more "smoke" to evidence a fire.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
    Johnny S
    Shipmate
    # 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Evangeline:
    Interesting....but given he's not on Youtube providing recipes for baby stew or selling books that give sordid accounts of his life as a people trafficker, or seeing visions of how happy people are to be trafficked, I'll have to discount your anonymous source until such time as there is some more "smoke" to evidence a fire.

Fair enough.

I hope you realise that I shared those views simply out of the public interest.

Think of the children.

Evangeline
    Shipmate
    # 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Johnny S:
    quote:

Fair enough.

I hope you realise that I shared those views simply out of the public interest.

Think of the children.

Of course, after all some church leaders in our city might show a surprising lack of discernment and invite Mr Tomlison to Sydney to tell us how to run our lives. We wouldn't want false prophets here, now would we?

[ 29. June 2012, 06:43: Message edited by: Evangeline ]

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
    Johnny S
    Shipmate
    # 12581

quote:
    Of course, after all some church leaders in our city might show a surprising lack of discernment and invite Mr Tomlison to Sydney to tell us how to run our lives.

Yes, that is how to be a bad Christian.
    Yerevan
    Shipmate
    # 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Opposite view from me - having read his previous book and heard him speaking I'd say it's worth a read! (Personal preference etc etc)

Yes, mileage varying and all that. I read it as part of a group some of whom loved it (I felt like the bad fairy picking holes in it every week [Razz] ). I just found that even on issues where I sympathised with him (universalism for example), his arguments were piss poor. I came away with the impression that he had brought many of the traditional weaknesses of charismatic evangelicalism with him, particularly the over-excited, uncritical love of New! Shiney! Except in his case New! Shiney! are ideas which have been commonplace in liberalish circles for donkey's years. It perhaps says something about the insularity of his particular charismatic evangelical subculture that he thinks he is being original.
    iamchristianhearmeroar
    Shipmate
    # 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    he thinks he is being original
    My impression of Dave Tomlinson is that he is trying to be a bit of a British Brian Mclaren. I do find Mclaren more original than him, but then again they are in completely different contexts.

Mclaren's liberal church that he founded is entirely independent and contrasts so strongly with ultraconservative US churches, whereas Tomlinson is within the established, and generally much more liberal, CofE. That may have nothing to do with it, of course, and it may just be a difference in personalities!

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
    # 11770

I didn't get the impression that Dave Tomlinson thought he was being particularly original, certainly not from talking to him (and I really must send him the photos), but that he was trying to put a voice to a number of ideas that were floating around. He really wasn't surprised that a lot of what he was suggesting could be found with us.

Maybe he's trying to give the liberal churches the agenda that everyone is saying they lack? [Razz]

We read Re-enchanting Christianity very differently, which may be why I have a less jaundiced view of it. We all took it away to read and then were asked to bring ideas back to a meeting, where it was acknowledged that we wouldn't agree with everything in the book. We had more of a discussion about it and how to take ideas forward with Dave Tomlinson on an away day (so 10am-3pm with breaks). It was more a stimulus for how to take the church and parish forward.

<tangent>The sermon on How to be a Bad Christian was the annual Lenten guest sermon last year. This sermon was established back in the 1600s with a bequest (the preacher to be paid £1) and was revived a few years back. The preachers vary year to year.</tangent>

--------------------

ken
    Ship's Roundhead
    # 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
    quote:
    he thinks he is being original
    My impression of Dave Tomlinson is that he is trying to be a bit of a British Brian Mclaren.

He'd need a time machine for that as he founded his first church-not-that-he'd-call-it-that over a decade before McLaren's first book was published. He'd probably never heard of him.

quote:

Mclaren's liberal church that he founded is entirely independent and contrasts so strongly with ultraconservative US churches, whereas Tomlinson is within the established, and generally much more liberal, CofE.

The history is almost exactly the other way round. McLaren was an academic for a while, and then became the pastor of a church. Tomlinson was brought up in a strict conservative-evangelical Brethren church, then was involved in the charismatic-evangelical movement, then started "Holy Joes", then studied theology, then got ordained as an Anglican - he was well into middle age and had already pastored more than one independent church before he joined the CofE.

--------------------
    Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
    Yerevan
    Shipmate
    # 10383

quote:
    I didn't get the impression that Dave Tomlinson thought he was being particularly original, certainly not from talking to him (and I really must send him the photos), but that he was trying to put a voice to a number of ideas that were floating around.
    I did get the impression from the book that he wasn't sufficiently aware of how much the ideas he was putting forward were already very Establishment in the mainstream denominations. Universalism for example is hardly edgy once one moves beyond the confines of evangelicalism. I guess I was looking for a clear argument as to how his particular ideas would re-enchant/re-whatever Christianity and was left none the wiser at the end of the book. I know two many people of opposing views who could shred him in about six seconds in any kind of debate.
    iamchristianhearmeroar
    Shipmate
    # 15483

quote:
    He'd probably never heard of him.
    That's probably true!

quote:
    The history is almost exactly the other way round.
    I really meant the situation now (rather than their respective histories) at least as far as Dave Tomlinson's situation was concerned when he wrote Re-enchanting Christianity ('08). I think perhaps the point I was trying to make (badly) was that when Tomlinson wrote this book he was writing it from the position of a CofE vicar. Whilst some people might feel what he was saying was not particularly original per se it probably was quite new for the CofE.

--------------------

Evensong
    Shipmate
    # 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by ken:
    The history is almost exactly the other way round. McLaren was an academic for a while, and then became the pastor of a church. Tomlinson was brought up in a strict conservative-evangelical Brethren church, then was involved in the charismatic-evangelical movement, then started "Holy Joes", then studied theology, then got ordained as an Anglican - he was well into middle age and had already pastored more than one independent church before he joined the CofE.

Do you have any idea what his ecclesiology is? Is he working from within the institution of the church or is he advocating stepping out of it....?

--------------------
    a theological scrapbook

Evensong
    Shipmate
    # 14696

quote:
    Originally posted by Yerevan:
    quote:
    I didn't get the impression that Dave Tomlinson thought he was being particularly original, certainly not from talking to him (and I really must send him the photos), but that he was trying to put a voice to a number of ideas that were floating around.
    I did get the impression from the book that he wasn't sufficiently aware of how much the ideas he was putting forward were already very Establishment in the mainstream denominations. Universalism for example is hardly edgy once one moves beyond the confines of evangelicalism. I guess I was looking for a clear argument as to how his particular ideas would re-enchant/re-whatever Christianity and was left none the wiser at the end of the book. I know two many people of opposing views who could shred him in about six seconds in any kind of debate.
    Mmmmnnnn...... I don't know much at all about "Post Evangelicals" but I suppose all things post evangelical would be exciting and new to someone that has finally discovered "the truth" outside Evangelicalism. [Biased]

Still not sure what to make of this bloke.

But Giles Fraser has called him one of his gods. And as Giles Fraser is one of my gods I should probably give it a go.

I'm intrigued by the title because I'm a bit with hatless on this one.

Abundant life and all that.

Alot of Christians seem to take their religion as a chore, a burden and it can become something that makes them bitter and hard.

Alot of other Christians take their religion joyfully and live that life joyfully.

Perhaps (like other areas of life) it's just a personality thing.......who knows.....

--------------------
    a theological scrapbook

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
    # 11770

Dave Tomlinson is working within the Church of England. He's reaching out to his community - more from the Church website

--------------------

Evensong
    Shipmate
    # 14696

Yes. Thanks Curiosity.

I realised he is a minister. But that doesn't necessarily tell you much about ecclesiology. [Big Grin]

(For an extreme example we could go Bishop Spong [Biased] )

Which is kinda weird actually. Spong was a lifesaver for me when I first started in the church. Made things understandable for this heathen.

Since I've been in the meta-narrative longer now, my language has changed.

--------------------
    a theological scrapbook

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
    # 11770

That website gives the recent talks, the services held by that church and descriptions of what the church does - how is that not going to help you find out something about his ecclesiology?

--------------------

Jolly Jape
    Shipmate
    # 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by ken:

Do you have any idea what his ecclesiology is? Is he working from within the institution of the church or is he advocating stepping out of it....?
    Since he chose to join the CofE from an independant church, my guess is he's pretty committed to working within it.

It's interesting (to me, anyway) that his theological journey to a very open and generous evangelicalism happened at almost the same time as my similar journey did, though, at the time, I had never heard of him. Something in the water?

--------------------
    To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
    Yerevan
    Shipmate
    # 10383

quote:
    Mmmmnnnn...... I don't know much at all about "Post Evangelicals" but I suppose all things post evangelical would be exciting and new to someone that has finally discovered "the truth" outside Evangelicalism.

Its funny. I think there is a certain type of post charismatic evangelical (I've met them in real life too) who bring a lot of their charismatic evo baggage with them when they leave. Part of that is the ignorance of anything pre-1960. They don't always get that they are...gasp...not the first people ever to question evangelicalism, and they are in fact treading an extremely well worn path. Tomlinson's contention that we need to abandon the hidebound irrelevance of institutional religion and have a nice experiential relationship with Jesus looks very charismatic evo to me. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree [Razz]
    ken
    Ship's Roundhead
    # 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Do you have any idea what his ecclesiology is?

Seeing as he went from Brethre, th House Church, to a connexion od independent Charismatic churches, to "church in a pub", to being an Anglican vicar, I think its a fair bet that his ecclesiology has been fluid :-)

Anyway, he's hardly unknown to some of the regular posters here, as more than one of them has been a member of his congregation, and one couple had their wedding at his church. I don't know him personally, though I've met him more than once and I've heard him speak, and I've been to his church - once or twice to the pub meetings they did years ago. I'm not a big fan of his "post-evangelical" thing, but then I suppose I wouldn't be.

--------------------
    Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
    leo
    Shipmate
    # 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Dave Tomlinson has been a lifeline to many.

i wouldn't say he's 'liberal' - it's just that some evangelicals are so guarded and narrow that they throw around the label 'liberal'.

I relate very strongly to his 'post evangelicalism' because I regard myself as a 'recovering anglo-catholic.'

--------------------
    My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
    My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
    ianjmatt
    Shipmate
    # 5683

- Posted      Profile for ianjmatt   Author's homepage   Email ianjmatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    When I heard Dave speak back in 1997 when he was on a speaking tour for Post-Evangelical he came across as incredibly angry and bitter (he was rude and dismissive of one old man who tried to understand things better during the Q & A for example).

However, talking with a friend who attends his church now I understand that he is much different now, 14 years later.

--------------------
    You might want to visit my blog:
    http://lostintheheartofsomewhere.blogspot.com

But maybe not

Posts: 676 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
    Evangeline
    Shipmate
    # 7002

quote:
    Originally posted by Yerevan:
    quote:
    Mmmmnnnn...... I don't know much at all about "Post Evangelicals" but I suppose all things post evangelical would be exciting and new to someone that has finally discovered "the truth" outside Evangelicalism.

Its funny. I think there is a certain type of post charismatic evangelical (I've met them in real life too) who bring a lot of their charismatic evo baggage with them when they leave. Part of that is the ignorance of anything pre-1960. They don't always get that they are...gasp...not the first people ever to question evangelicalism, and they are in fact treading an extremely well worn path. Tomlinson's contention that we need to abandon the hidebound irrelevance of institutional religion and have a nice experiential relationship with Jesus looks very charismatic evo to me. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree [Razz]
    I don't know anything about Tomlinson other than what I've read on this thread but the above makes me think that he might be doing Christianity a great service by publishing books and telling people about this well worn path which seems to remain invisible to many. So many Christians and the "unchurched" believe that Christianity IS conservative evangelicalism and who could blame them, most of the books and publicity does go to that branch of the church (they don't mind retelling a well worn story) . More people need to know that there are other ways of being Christian and the more narratives out there that tell the story, the better IMO. Although that doesn't excuse his arguments being poorly put together, which might undermine the cause.
    Evensong
    Shipmate
    # 14696

I believe I will have to buy the book.

If only to be able to quote it in a sermon. [Two face]

--------------------
    a theological scrapbook

Yerevan
    Shipmate
    # 10383

quote:
    So many Christians and the "unchurched" believe that Christianity IS conservative evangelicalism and who could blame them
    ...which mystifies me. None of the major Protestant denominations in the UK are uniformly evangelical, let alone conservative evangelical. Most aren't even majority evangelical. The Christian in the UK who gets most airtime is Rowan Williams. The woolly agnostic vaguely lefty C of E vicar seems to be a deeply ingrained cultural stereotype. I have a slightly harsher theory, that Christianity happens to be out of fashion, and that the evangelical stick is a useful one to beat it with. If Joe Blogs thinks that all Muslims are crazy fundies then we say that Joe Blogs is prejudiced. If Joe Blogs thinks that all Christians are crazy fundies we think that Joe Blogs really has a bit of a point and we Christians are to blame. How come?
    Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
    # 11770

<tangent in answer to Yerevan>Partly Richard Dawkins and his on-going attack on Christianity, which attacks the sort of Christianity that believes in Young Earth Creationism, says evolution is a myth and all that jazz. Plus if you say the Sinner's Prayer you can become a Christian.

And having worked in a number of places where the Christian voice - as in the people who speak out - is all about this, there aren't many ways of countering it. You either quietly say, "well, not all of us believe that" and get into a major row about not being a proper Christian if you don't see Genesis Chapter 1 as actual historical gospel truth, or you keep quiet and that myth is perpetuated.</tangent>

--------------------

Evensong
    Shipmate
    # 14696

quote:
    Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
    That website gives the recent talks, the services held by that church and descriptions of what the church does - how is that not going to help you find out something about his ecclesiology?

Have meandered around quite a bit. Still haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

Might do in his sermons.

But it's not Sunday and listening to one would be a sin.

--------------------
    a theological scrapbook

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
    # 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    I personally cringe at the "bad Christian" bit, because it goes hand-in-hand with that other pet-peeve of mine, the attitude that the institutional church is all about controlling the people.

But it's important to know what audience this book is intended for, and I don't think it's intended for me or for most people commenting on this thread so far. I think it's for people who have a distorted image of what it means to be a Christian, and think it's about following rules, or about being a nice person, going along with societal expectations, etc. Hopefully he winds up revealing that being a bad that kind of Christian is actually being a good Christian.

--------------------
    I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
    Ethne Alba
    Shipmate
    # 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    Certainly worth getting and reading...if only to be able to discuss it with some understanding.

fwiw, i think lots of us need stirring up every now and then...if only to realise how silly we are sounding.

Evensong
    Shipmate
    # 14696

But you're a bit of a post evangelical too aren't you Ethne? [Paranoid]

(Or perhaps I'm confusing you with someone else.....Hairy Biker of the same avatar....)

--------------------
    a theological scrapbook

leo
    Shipmate
    # 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
    Certainly worth getting and reading...if only to be able to discuss it with some understanding.

fwiw, i think lots of us need stirring up every now and then...if only to realise how silly we are sounding.

We get quite a few refugees from the big evangelical church up the road. they are usually seeking a more sacramental but not too rigid doctrinal fellowship.

Tomlinson's book has been the basis of several good discussions.

--------------------
    My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
    My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
    Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
    # 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
    I've not read this book so can't comment on that, but my experience of Tomlinson's work is that, although it's not startlingly original or new, if it catches you at the right time it really hits the spot. I read 'Post-Evangelical' several years after it was published, when I was struggling with living within the evangelical, charismatic church scene that I was part of, and it was an absolute revelation, that I wasn't the only one (which is certainly what it felt like at the time). As I say I was several years behind the times of even the book, never mind the thoughts behind it, but it was a godsend at the time. I think it helped that Tomlinson had come from a charismatic evangelical background that I was totally familiar with (although it was a different church to mine, but he certainly hung around in his time with the people who led mine) so I was able to relate to much of what he said. I wonder if I didn't have that background whether the book would have made anything like the same impression, probably not. But I was, and remain, grateful for the ministry of that particular book at that particular time, and so have kept something of a soft spot for Tomlinson ever since.

[ 01. July 2012, 19:05: Message edited by: Jack the Lass ]

--------------------
    "My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
    wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
     - Printer-friendly view
    Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016