homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 101 uses for a brick (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 101 uses for a brick
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A self limiting game with a prize!

The game finishes when we reach 101. The winner is decided by poll - from a shortlist of ten (chosen by me)

The prize is a framed print of this photo.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. Putting in the loo to restrict water use.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
2. Weighing down the edges of the plastic sheeting we use on the roof when we dry the wheat before we have milled into flour.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
3. Holding netting in place over the strawberries.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
4. Castrating a horse. (You may need two bricks for this though)

[ 19. June 2012, 07:30: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
5. Breaking jewellers windows during a smash and grab raid.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
6. a door stop

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
7. Throwing it through your girlfriend's window, with a note attached asking if she'll marry you.

(The answer will probably be no.)

quote:
Spike: 4. Castrating a horse. (You may need two bricks for this though)
Rookie.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
4. Castrating a horse. (You may need two bricks for this though)

[Old joke] Doesn't it hurt? Not if you keep your thumbs out of the way [/Old joke]
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In combination with a bag that can be tied up, you can use a brick to keep down the cat population.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To rock a cat to sleep with, when you can't locate a rock.

[cross posted with Sioni S]

[ 19. June 2012, 20:44: Message edited by: Silver Faux ]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
Put it behind your rear wheel when parked on a hill with a faulty hand-brake.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
11 (I think). Put it on a plinth and claim a grant from the Arts Council.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To chew on.

are you talking to me, or chewing a brick? either way you lose your teeeth

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
13 (?)

Mix together some olive oil, lemon juice, grated garlic, oregano and horseradish. Cut the brick into thin slices and leave to soak overnight in the refrigerator.

10 minutes before serving, gently sautée the marinated brick on both sides. Serve with a sprig of fresh rocket and basil between two slices of pain de mie for the perfect brick sandwich.

[ 19. June 2012, 21:13: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
i) Lay concrete.
ii) Apply mortar to surface of concrete.
iii) Place brick on mortar.
iv) Water daily to Grow Your own House.

[edit: spelign]

[ 19. June 2012, 21:16: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

Measure the dimensions of the end of the brick. Then cut a hole in the top of your head which is approximately 3-5mm greater in each direction than the size of the brick.

Insert brick into the hole and seal in the gap with mortar (preferably a mix of three parts sand to one part Portland cement, with water as required). Place bowler hat on top of brick for the perfect head extension.

[ 19. June 2012, 21:19: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Rosina
Shipmate
# 15589

- Posted      Profile for Rosina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
16 as a step

--------------------
"Imagine." If you can imagine, you can dream, and if you can dream, you can hope and if you have hope, you may seek and if you seek; you will find.

Posts: 75 | From: Lancashire | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
17. Again, you'll need at least two: place one underneath either end of a plank of wood to make a bookshelf. This can become a modular structure limited only by the available space and the number of bricks (and planks).

PS Chorister, are you sure you don't come from Glasgow? [Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
18. When I was in primary school, some creep was squishing brown-bag lunches with his fist, leaving knuckle marks on the sandwiches.
I placed a brick in a brown bag, placed it on a shelf with the lunches, and discovered who the creep was when he mashed up his hand.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

I make my own pywood out of balsa (for use in rocketry parts). Once the laminations are glued up, a brick makes a handy weight.

(PS - 15 - Ricardus' suggestion - had me in stitches!)

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

As a 'buy one, get one free' offer on half-bricks.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
21. bricking yourself when about to take a test, sing a solo, face an angry Glaswegian, etc.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

22. A brick (idiom) is useful when, on meeting someone for the first time in years, you ask of their spouse only to be told that they are divorced or s/he is dead.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
23. A memento from an assassination: a brick from Osama Bin Ladin's commpound now hanging on Leon Panetta's wall.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
24. Threatening to throw one at a sleeping student instead of something less harmful like a blackboard eraser (rubber). I had first-hand experience with this alternative when I was a teenager: the Latin teacher who was also the football coach lobbed an eraser at me when he thought I was sleeping. I ducked and it sailed over my head and broke a window!
[Killing me]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

25. Dropping on your sister's head. (As my brother once did.)

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
26. A holder for ice cream cones.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
27. Use it for cooking chicken and sandwiches.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

28. Ash tray

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
30. Opening windows. Closing them again can be a problem.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

the real No 30

As the OP is an artist, what better use for a brick (and a few of his friends) than as an artistic medium.

[ 20. June 2012, 22:31: Message edited by: Balaam ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Rosina
Shipmate
# 15589

- Posted      Profile for Rosina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
to exercise with - as in weight lifting

--------------------
"Imagine." If you can imagine, you can dream, and if you can dream, you can hope and if you have hope, you may seek and if you seek; you will find.

Posts: 75 | From: Lancashire | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

32. A part of your typical student bookcase.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
33. To weigh down the plate in your sauerkraut barrel

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To cook an Australian native hen. Put a native hen and a brick in a big pot. Season and cover with water. Bring to the boil. When the brick is cooked the native hen is ready to eat.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

35. The perfect filler for any gap a little larger than a brick.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
36. Useful for looting during a riot.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
37. As a weight to stop any piece of outdoor furniture/garden urn/umbrella stand etc from blowing over.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
38. To get rid of the awkward silences in Pink Floyd's song Another <awkward silence> in the Wall.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
39. to prop up broken leg on furniture

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

40. as a way of explaining to someone how grateful you are for their support

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
41. Wrapped in fabric to make bookends

(this wasn't the half remembered idea I went looking for either)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Place in front of the base drum in a drum kit to prevent the entire kit from sliding across the floor due to over-enthusiastic use.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

43. placed in front of car tyres in case handbrake fails

44. to raise rustic barbecue off ground

[ 22. June 2012, 14:22: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
45. To throw into the air in order to bring down passing jets.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

46. Emergency ballast for a boat.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

47. To stop my dustbin lid from blowing away.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To drop off a high point on the moon with a feather and see which one lands first.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

49. Crafting for survival: Break one brick in half; put each half in its own sturdy sock, and you've got weapons for people with no crafting skills.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016