homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Breakfast of Champions. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Breakfast of Champions.
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My neighbor stopped by while I was fixing my usual week-day breakfast. " Good Heavens is that what you eat for Breakfast?" she said. My usual week day morning meal is one piece of whole wheat toast divided into three parts. One part has butter and seaweed with ground nuts, the second part has peanut butter, and the third part has hummus. I add some fruit and tea. Saturday is a day where hubby and I have a big breakfast. It can be any of the following, eggs, or french toast, bacon or sausage, pancakes, or waffles. Sunday it is plain toast and tea as there is always some fruit and cookies after church. So shipmates how do you start your day.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oatmeal porridge with a teaspoon of brown sugar and a little milk just about every day. If I'm feeling daring, I add a little cinnamon. If not oatmeal then frosted mini-wheats.

Favourite breakfast out is eggs Benedict made with smoked salmon or french toast.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was working in the woods up in Alaska, I would get up at 5:30 and start my day by drinking coffee with my left hand while making 2 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, and 2 pieces of tost. Then I'd make it all into a sandwich and head out the door still drinking coffee.

When living in New England a bowl of cereal usually sufficed on the weekdays and we'd make omelets, pancakes, or something else more elaborate on Saturdays.

Once we moved to Turkey we started doing Turkish breakfasts: feta cheese, tomatoes, a boiled egg, and fresh bread with spreads. I still drink my coffee for breakfast, I like Turkish tea, but there's not enough caffeine for my morning kick-start!

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two boiled eggs, with toast. That really sets me up.

If I'm out and find somewhere that does kippers, smokies or the like, I home in on that. Anyone for kedgeree?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lilypad posted
quote:
eggs Benedict made with smoked salmon
Yum, I am with you Lilypad, but around there they make it with fresh crab cakes rather then salmon.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most weekdays I have a bagel with cream cheese. There is a bagel shop down the street from my office that gives away a dozen day-olds with purchase, and they freeze well.

Other mornings it is rice cakes with peanut butter and jelly, sometimes banana slices as well.

Weekend mornings, especially after a boozy night, will sometimes find me making traditional chilaquiles. The other go-to is a less traditional version of the same dish, where I fry tortilla strips, mix them into scrambled eggs, and then make an omelet with pickled jalapenos, cheese, breakfast sausage, sour cream, and salsa. You wouldn't fit into your pants for long if you ate it every morning, but sometimes it is exactly what you need in the morning.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My breakfast is usually whatever is leftover from the previous night or two. This morning it was a raw ear of sweet corn followed up with spaghetti & meatballs. Yesterday I munched on cold steak, pasta salad, and raw green beans.

I love breakfast food, but rarely eat it at breakfast time.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Toast.

Toast and marmite.

Coffee.

Did I mention toast?

I make my own bread and I have to say I am heavily influenced in my choice of recipe by its potential toastability. White with grated cheese and sesame/poppy seeds is the best.

Special treat is Tip contents of fruit bowl into juicer and have wildly original smoothie. Followed by toast. Or, if it happens to be Christmas Day, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon (on toast) with Buck's Fizz.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Usually no morning breakfast at all. Mornings are too short for breakfast, I'm always late for work, and anyway I usually don't really want to eat for some hours after I get up because I'm not fully awake yet. So the first mug of tea is likely to be at work at maybe 11am or later, and I don't usually eat till 2 or 3 pm. The choice between "stay in bed another fifteen minutes or get up earlier and have breakfast" is no choice. Neither is the choice between "have a bath or have breakfast". Bed and bath win. If someone else was making the tea I'd gladly drink it - morning physiological objections to eating don't apply to drinking tea of course - but that only happens when I visit my Mum.

If I do have breakfast in the morning its almost always tea and toast. The tea being the one vital thing.

Fry-ups are for hangovers, parties that are still going at dawn, or the morning after an election night. General elections tend to lead to all three together.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Lilypad posted
quote:
eggs Benedict made with smoked salmon
Yum, I am with you Lilypad, but around there they make it with fresh crab cakes rather then salmon.
Sounds amazing! I would love it.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Juice on an empty stomach makes me nauseous, so I never have juice. First thing, I take my meds (blood pressure & thyroid) with water.

Then: I alternate between "cereal days" and "egg days". Both days include black coffee freshly brewed.

Cereal days: Lo-carb, sugar-free cereal such as bran flakes, multi-grain flakes, etc. with half-and-half or heavy cream* and sweetened with Splenda.

Egg days: Two eggs fixed in a variety of ways (soft boiled, scrambled, fried over easy), sometimes with bacon or sausage.

If with bacon, sometimes I'll have my eggs basted (fried sunny side up but with bacon grease basted over them to cook the tops without having to flip them).

If soft boiled, I usually crumble a piece of multi-grain toast into the eggs (comfort food, like my mother used to do when I was little, don't you know). Otherwise I sometimes have the eggs on toast, other times not.

On egg days, for variety, I'll sometimes fix an omelet. Some of my favorite things to cook into an omelet are: corn, fried peppers/onions, asparagus, broccoli, and of course cheese (Swiss or cheddar).

* I never use milk, especially milk-flavored water (oops, I mean lowfat milk), as it's all carbs and no taste. Half-and-half and cream may be high on fat but they're proportionately low on carbs and high on taste.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need protein of some sort to start the day, usually an egg, scrambled if I'm in a hurry (most days), boiled at weekends, occasionally omlette or poached for variety. Usually with bread or toast, unless I'm trying to lose weight (which I should be but can't be bothered at present [Hot and Hormonal] ). I love full english breakfast with bacon and sausages but sadly such pig derived delicacies are not readily available here in Tunisia.
Coffee is also required. Even though I drink decaff and so it's not for the caffeine kick I still like coffee for breakfast. (It's not that I don't like caffeine but it doesn't agree with me!)

What I can't tolerate is carb only breakfast, especially speedily absorbed sugar laden cereal. The rapid rise in blood sugar just makes me feel so sleepy, sluggish and almost nauseous all I want to do is go back to bed!

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems to be an eggy crowd!

Long time routine when young: put on the porridge while washing up and getting dressed. You get to know the stove and know what temp and how long. Always add the mix of oats and 7 grain porridge to cold water mixed with fruit juice or fruit if have some on hand. Now with microwaves no need for stove timing nor pot washing. Twice per week sardines on toast with a second piece for jam. That is a power breakfast and will last until 1:30 or 2 pm.

I do make bread pudding with left over bread and will eat that for 3 or 4 mornings some weeks. I make all the bread. Egg, bread, fruit, all baked up. Never the same twice.

And tea always. And never that nasty alternative drink: teabag. Clear and something to stand a spoon in. I make 1˝ L of it each morning. 2 cups or 500 ml into me with breaky, another 500 over the course of the morning, and another 500 in the afternoon. Often another 500 in the evening. Wife's grandmother taught me this 30+ years ago and she lived to 94....

Now if we're at a lake, there's nothing like fresh fish scrambled up with an egg or two over a fire.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bowl of cornflakes with semi skimmed milk. A cup of coffee with single cream. And my morning meds.

I cannot eat savoury in the morning, but I love a cooked breakfast (as long as it is without the bacon or sausage) at lunchtime.

--------------------
I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am going

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There isn't anything I "always" have as I get bored pretty quickly eating the same things all the time, and I really dislike cereal and milk.

This week's mornings have started with a Marmite sandwich; a croissant; a banana; grilled tomatoes on toast; tomorrow might be beans on toast if there's time, more likely a hot bacon roll with tomato sauce if I get to the station on time.

There is no set plan. When time permits, other good things are Eggs Benedict with ham and a squeeze of lemon, or potato cakes, or the Full Irish, or mushrooms on toast, or a cheese sandwich. Blue cheese is good. For whatever reason strong flavours seem to be a necessity in the morning, a kickstart to the day.

Variety is the spice of life [Biased]

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coffee and 4oz juice.
That's all I want first thing.

However, reading this thread in the late afternoon has made me very excited.

Irish Lord's sandwich, in particular, sounds prize worthy. Firenze is like my father who used to keep the toaster on the table and go through a half loaf a meal.

I love eggs! Eggs are one dollar a dozen at Kroger this week! They're always a bargain and they're such perfect protein, possibly my favorite food. For a while there they were getting a bad rap because of the cholesterol but I think the verdict is in now and the cholesterol in eggs doesn't effect human blood cholesterol.

I love eggs scrambled, fried, Benedicted, and deviled but I think the best, most respectful way to get the maximum flavor from an egg is to soft boil it just until the white is firm and the yellow still runny. Only I can't ever time it right. Any tips?

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very small bowl of Rice Krispies. Where would I be without my snap, crackle and pop?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dearly love a good fry-up, or kippers, if I'm out - but also rather fond of the cold meats/cheese/pastries kind of buffet if it's any good.

At home tea, cereal, of a bran-y, fruity kind, with a banana on it: then, at the moment- luxury of luxuries- home-made bread with honey from our own bees.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On my disorganised days, a pain au raisin from the hole in the wall outlet on the way to work. Actually this particular outlet is only open in the mornings. Apparently they make such a killing in the morning selling croissants and all their cousins that they can close after that.

When more organised, muesli and yogurt (don't like it with milk) or wholegrain toast and marmite. I need wholegrains because I get too hungry too fast otherwise.

I always try to get some kind of fruit component in the morning because I find it tough to get to five a day otherwise. I usually have a carton of juice or smoothie in the fridge at work for the second half of breakfast (see my earlier point about being disorganised).

Eggs are for weekends.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
A very small bowl of Rice Krispies. Where would I be without my snap, crackle and pop?

That is so you, Chorister. Even your breakfast is musical.
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
coffee coffee coffee.

about half of the mornings, I also do a smoothie - something along this theme: plain full-fat yogurt (homemade), blueberries and whatever other fruit is handy, and a glob of almond butter. sometimes protein powder, especially if I'm out of almond butter. sometimes some ground up ginger, especially if I'm fighting off the crud. these "smoothies" are very thick and eaten with a spoon.

I'm a big fan of eggs - usually made with chile. lots of chile! but that's lunch or dinner.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two cuppas, one piece of toast with either home made lemon curd or crab apple jelly and a banana. And another cuppa.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
On my disorganised days, a pain au raisin from the hole in the wall outlet on the way to work. Actually this particular outlet is only open in the mornings. Apparently they make such a killing in the morning selling croissants and all their cousins that they can close after that.

I used to live within walking distance of a French bakery. Same deal- they were open until they sold out, which was noon if you were lucky. I think they made most of their money selling loaves of wonderful bread to restaurants. They make a croissant with a sweet walnut paste on the inside that is to die for. I don't know why I ever moved out of that neighborhood.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pain au chocolat is another morning joy, btw. They never last long enough, though.
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tea. A least two mugs.

Home-made bread toast with marmalade (at the moment I am eating up a batch made with blood oranges) or jam; or porridge made with milk and with golden syrup on top; or raw porridge oats, milk and sugar.
At the weekends, pancakes (either crepes or scotch).

I can never feel like savoury food in the morning.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daily: Porridge made with 30g rolled oats, 15g oat bran 1/2cup skimmed milk and1/2 cup water. I mix in 1 small banana, chopped, and 1/2 cup blackberries, blackcurrants or blueberries from the freezer (defrosted) or in summer 1/2 cup of any seasonal soft fruit. I will have had a mug of coffee couple of hours earlier, and after I have eaten I have a mug of fennel tea.

However, occasionally, if there is anyone around offering to cook a "Full English" fried breakfast or to serve warm croissants with home-made jam, I find that a more than acceptable alternative to my healthy bowlful.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Ken on the choice between bed and breakfast and not wanting to eat as soon as I surface.

I usually have a couple of cups of coffee as soon as I arrive at work, and a bowl of muesli and some more coffee around 10.

Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coffee and A bowl of cereal. I'm eating a muesli-type thing from Costco at the moment with cold milk, but I'll sometimes have weetbix with hot milk.

I'd do toast more often but him indoors has a plate and can manage the weetbix better than toast before putting it in.

Saturday morning is always breakfast out at a cafe in the village with friends.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Three mornings a week I eat with my dad. He usually has a large variety of cold cereals on hand, so I have plain mini wheats with Splenda, or sweetened wheat puffs or honey oats with dried strawberries, all with 2% fat milk.

On Mondays when I'm going across town to volunteer at the church office, to reward my virtue I pick up an egg burrito with shredded cheddar, sliced tomatoes, and green sauce, and a carton of orange juice. A favorite!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coffee and the Guardian Quick Crossword, ideally in the garden to the sound of birdsong.
(Bowing in admiration of Miss Amanda's wonderful variety of breakfast fare...)

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Eggs are one dollar a dozen at Kroger this week! They're always a bargain.

I used to buy the cheap ones too, at Frys (owned by Kroger). However, I just finished reading a book that described, among other things, the conditions under which hens that supply us with cheap eggs are forced to live. It's enough to put you off food altogether, let alone eggs. I now spend the few extra dollars for free-range eggs. They do look and taste noticeably better, by the way.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
I think the best, most respectful way to get the maximum flavor from an egg is to soft boil it just until the white is firm and the yellow still runny. Only I can't ever time it right. Any tips?

Bring water to a boil with the eggs already in it. Start timing just as the water comes to a boil. Time for exactly three minutes -- use a timer. Rinse eggs in cold water immediately when the time is up.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been eating untoasted muesli with apricot and dates and almonds for months. Frozen berries on top and some coffee.

However, it's now winter down here and the last few mornings have been cold. Very cold wind here today. So I've switched to rolled oats. Just plain, very occasionally a sprinkle of brown sugar, but usually plain and no milk. And coffee, made at home on small coffee machine which turns out better flat whites than many shops.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alas, I am allergic to oats [Frown]

I'm also one who can't face food straight away, so first it's a strong, sweet coffee, and then either eggs and mushrooms and/or bacon, cheese on toast or yogurt and fruit (sometimes with rice pudding as a porridge replacement if it's cold outside). I can't seem to manage a big breakfast. Sardines on toast sounds like a delicious option but I don't think my fish-hating household would approve of the smell.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
poileplume
Shipmate
# 16438

- Posted      Profile for poileplume   Email poileplume   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those supplying recipes for porridge / hot oats have forgotten the maple syrup.

--------------------
Please note I am quite severely dyslexic

Posts: 319 | From: Quebec | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love breakfast! It always includes a big mug of tea, and yogurt. Sometimes I make a bowlful of steel cut oats with sultanas and dried blueberries in it. (Poor babybear thinks I'm crazy to ruin oats with raisins!) About half the time, a banana is part of the meal. Most often, though, it's yogurt and tea...and applesauce to mix one of my meds into.

Sometimes Saturday breakfast is turkey bacon and two eggs over easy. Mom and Dad's chickens (pampered, spoiled things) provide the eggs!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My breakfast routine was disrupted about a year ago when my doctor prescribed Synthroid for me (must be taken first thing in the a.m.), and now I can't tolerate calcium for at least an hour afterwards. So my long-standing routine of Cheerios, blueberries and milk has been thrown off and I'm trying to regain my footing. On work days I generally have a piece of whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Plus coffee, of course.

I'm trying to get used to soy milk so I can have cereal again, with mixed results.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
soy milk sucks. try almond milk. or coconut milk! even better!

[ 22. June 2012, 04:41: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

Mamacita wrote
quote:
I can't tolerate calcium
I cannot do calcium either. I have found oatmeal with fruit and no milk works, and dry cherrios in a cup with some dried fruit, eaten out of hand is okay. Almond milk works better for me then soy, but the bottom line is I keep thinking it is going to taste like dairy and of course it does not.
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a breakfast person. My first thought on waking is "What am I going to eat?" On days when I get to sleep in, I may spend an hour or so drifting in and out of sleep, alternately planning and dreaming of breakfast. Unfortunately, on w*rk days I'm pretty much stuck with cereal (steel cut oatmeal in the winter, if I remembered to soak it overnight--with nuts and dried fruit, usually pecans and cherries; cold cereal with fruit--usually bananas, strawberries or peaches in season--in warmer months).

On weekends I go for eggs: fried over easy, with bacon or sausage and grits or hash browns; Huevos Rancheros (for those unfamiliar with Mexican food, that's eggs, fried or poached, over refried beans and tortillas, topped with salsa and cheese);or if I'm feeling ambitious, an omelet--mushroom, bacon, spinach, and Camembert is my favorite.

When I get to eat breakfast out, other dishes come into play....

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by poileplume:
Those supplying recipes for porridge / hot oats have forgotten the maple syrup.

I love the flavour but I eat very little of anything sweet and certainly not on oats. I don't do it but my grandfather used to put a sprinkle of salt on rolled oats. I also don't use the instant oats packages with different flavours.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because I'm a Type 2 diabetic, I try not to eat really carb-laden foods early in the morning because they'll just make me want to go back to sleep. I have been known to eat "strange" things when first awakening--not strange to ME, strange to everyone else. Things like cold lasagna and cold pizza are favorites. Actually cold pizza anytime of the day is great. In the winter, I will eat instant artificially flavored oatmeal just because it's hot and filling and the oatmeal tends to have a little more mileage than some other carbohydrates. I would love to drink orange juice but again, it's that diabetes thing--so much sugar in orange juice or really, fruit juice of any flavor. I bought some frozen blueberries yesterday and plan on making pancakes with them this weekend. I already know they're going to put me to sleep... [Biased]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh boy! I almost forgot! June 18th was my forty-fifth birthday and my oldest sister had gotten me a bread maker last winter but I just got it this week. I can't wait to make some homemade bread, toast it, and put some lovely sugar-free preserves on it. Maybe to celebrate, I'll whip up some scrambled eggs with cheese and veggies and serve that with the bread.... mmmmmmm, hope my stomach cooperates... I was in the hospital last week with ongoing mysterious stomach problems and there's no clue what food will set my stomach to forcibly ejecting its contents. Sorry! Gross, I know.

And now, back to the PLEASANT conversation already in progress.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some years I had a job for in which a swathe of work had to be completed by 8 am. Which, happily, was when the staff canteen opened. Fairly foul coffee ( but with caffeine in. Caffeine!), a white roll with a hash brown and two rashers of bacon.

It was a lifebelt breakfast - kept you afloat for the rest of the day.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Usually I have Greek yogurt. Sometimes I eat a nutrition bar if I have to run before I can eat, and other times I have wheat bread with honey. The main thing is that it takes no preparation. I'm not a morning person.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
I think the best, most respectful way to get the maximum flavor from an egg is to soft boil it just until the white is firm and the yellow still runny. Only I can't ever time it right. Any tips?

Bring water to a boil with the eggs already in it. Start timing just as the water comes to a boil. Time for exactly three minutes -- use a timer. Rinse eggs in cold water immediately when the time is up.
Thank you for that. I see my mistake has been waiting for the water to boil before sliding in the eggs.

I may try the free ranges again, soon, I agree they are good. My vegetarian son reads all the food scandal items on the internet -- he made me watch a documentary about turkey farming that I'll never get over -- and just yesterday he read something to me from one of his magazines that says canned tomatoes are dangerous. Sometimes I'm conscientious about it all and sometimes the sale signs turn me toward the bad side.

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Be good but not too good
Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I vary between two breakfasts. Some days I have a bowl of porridge to which I add sliced banana and whatever other fruit is around. Sliced strawberries are good. My porridge doesn't include milk as I am lactose intolerant. Other days I have two slices of multi grain toast with Vegemite plus a banana. All is accompanied by a hot cup of tea. I never drink coffee.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apropos fried breakfast this is a bid for the biggest. (video, not safe for those of a nervous disposition.)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Work days: a bowl of cranberry-and-almond cereal and get a Timmy's™ when I get to work.

Saturdays: breakfast would interfere with Sleep, although we occasionally go out for brunch.

Sundays: I don't have anything before going to church; it's not so much a liturgical "breaking one's fast" thing, more a development of habit. After church we usually go out for lunch (which is sometimes breakfast depending on where we go).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016