homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » west coasties! quake check in

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: west coasties! quake check in
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm getting reports of a Tsunami alert after a 7.7 about an hour ago in BC. that's a respectable one. tsunami alerts are out for all of BC and all of SE AK. my earlier info about washington and oregon was wrong, looks safe enough there. my info is still pretty sparse, just the release from NOAA.

my mother's place is up on a hill so no worries there. Everyone else okay? check in once you're safely on high ground, please!

[ 28. October 2012, 04:03: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I can gather it was a 7.7 followed by a 5.8 but no further news yet as to it being horizontal or vertical shift.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my mom, who happens to be in Kodiak (way out of the tsunami area) in a conference, did all her masters work on those plates and just jabbered a bunch of stuff at me about effected areas and stuff but I didn't get most of it. the upshot is that it was probably felt stronger to the north of the epicenter than the south, I think.

Vancouver/Victoria shippies - hope you're okay.

my biggest ever was a 7.9, so I know how impressive that stuff feels. yikes!

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I am hearing the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre has said there is no threat of a tsunami at the moment so I am presuming lateral shift - a big relief.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seattle area didn't feel it. I hope all your friends and relatives are safe, Comet!

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the people of Haida Gwaii and Northern British Columbia as well. [Votive]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard there had been a 7.7 and immediately sent up a prayer for all those affected.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First tsunami waves have just hit the coast of Hawaii, according to news feeds

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC website has reported a tsunami alert on the Hawaiian Islands, for 3'-6' waves, c 08:30 GMT, ie a few minutes ago. [Votive]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've been seeing ongoing quakes in the 5 to 6 range in the Queen Charlotte Islands for several days.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
We've been seeing ongoing quakes in the 5 to 6 range in the Queen Charlotte Islands for several days.

Queen Charlotte Islands = Haida Gwaii. It took me a few minutes to work that out from the Mothership (aka CBC)

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Update from Haida Gwaii: Large aftershocks

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sister on Vancouver Island says there's no damage and not much movement. That is probably relative, not much movement means something different to those on the Pacific rim than the rest of us.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:

Queen Charlotte Islands = Haida Gwaii. It took me a few minutes to work that out from the Mothership (aka CBC)
Haida Gwaii is the old name turned new name again. happens. its like our whole Denali/McKinley thing. sometimes it feels like everything has a real name and an anglo name.

I'm fairly impressed how lightly this was felt - but honestly, a good portion of seismology is magic to me. I just don't understand enough. our biggie in 03 (was it 03?) was felt by some in Louisiana but not in other parts of Alaska. And while we were actually closer to the epicenter, way down in Mentasta they took a ton more damage. has to do with the map of fault lines, I understand. and what kind of movement we get. I'm very happy this turned into a small event.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As of a couple of hours ago, my son in Courtney/Comox had felt nothing at all, either from the first quake or from the aftershocks.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I'm fairly impressed how lightly this was felt - but honestly, a good portion of seismology is magic to me. I just don't understand enough. our biggie in 03 (was it 03?) was felt by some in Louisiana but not in other parts of Alaska. And while we were actually closer to the epicenter, way down in Mentasta they took a ton more damage. has to do with the map of fault lines, I understand. and what kind of movement we get. I'm very happy this turned into a small event.

My sister, on Vancouver Island felt nothing, even though the quake was felt in Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary even though she was muck closer to the epicentre than any of those places.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016