homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Paralympics Opening Ceremony (& Closing Ceremony !)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Paralympics Opening Ceremony (& Closing Ceremony !)
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought there'd be a full on debate in flow by now (if there is, my apologies for not being able to find it).

I was looking forward to this; I was expecting to be inspired and maybe challenged as well. Instead I was bored and bewildered. What was going on? A sort of sub-Shakespearian hotchpotch, with only one quote from the Bard in it (the name Miranda by itself down't count). Lots of music I didn't know, with new pieces sung in such a way as to be incomprehensible. The stuff with the apples - especially when we are all meant to take a bite at the same time.

There were good moments, such as the flying athletes, and the arrival of the torch and lighting of the flame. But mainly it was a confused mess. (And why was Mcellan playing such a prominent role? Does gay now count as disabled?)

Anyway, that is my NSVH opinion. What did the rest of you think?

[ 09. September 2012, 19:47: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been trying to find it on the net to watch it - can anyone tell me where it is?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can get it on 4OD.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I have been trying to find it on the net to watch it - can anyone tell me where it is?

From an Olympic thread festering in Hell:
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Opening ceremony - in case anyone's interested.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huntress
Shipmate
# 2595

- Posted      Profile for Huntress   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There were beautiful moments - also some mind-boggling moments.

The thing that stood out for me was the apples, both great and small, which formed part of the "Isaac Newton" segment celebrating his theory of gravity and the further increases in knowledge and scientific understanding which that brought. When the announcer suddenly declared that everyone in the audience had an apple and they were all to bite it at the same time, also if anyone at home had an apple they should do the same (this last bit may have been a commentator) I identified it as eating the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge - though presented in a positive way. My better half thought I was reading too much into it and perhaps I was [Smile]

Posts: 431 | From: Lancashire / Nottingham | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also reckoned it was beautiful, many people from all over the world, dressed specially and often not able to walk.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am watching on 4OD at the moment - I rather like the sparkly whale - and enjoyed that bit of Handel with the flying athletes.

Oh and loving the flame edged whirling dervish on top of the orrary.

[ 30. August 2012, 19:57: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

David Toole also fantastic.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
I also reckoned it was beautiful, many people from all over the world, dressed specially and often not able to walk.

Walking is over-rated.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw only a few highlight but enjoyed what I saw. However, I was reminded that I could listen to Ian McLellan's voice for hours.

I actually was not watching the screen when I first heard him and recognised the voice straight away. [Yipee]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:

Walking is over-rated.
If golf is a walk ruined, how does that rate golf?!?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well, I really enjoyed it, though fast forwarded through the parade. I can understand why they commissioned new music, but I don't think that works well in a stadium setting.

I thought having Spasticus Autisticus was a good contrast of tone.

I would have liked a little humour, though I am not sure where they would have put it.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huntress:
I identified it as eating the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge - though presented in a positive way. My better half thought I was reading too much into it and perhaps I was [Smile]

No - that's what I thought too. Rather good theology about the fall being a fall upwards.

[ 31. August 2012, 11:33: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huntress:
I identified it as eating the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge - though presented in a positive way. My better half thought I was reading too much into it and perhaps I was [Smile]

That's what the Today programme went for, as well. Some people remembered Turing, too, but that seems a bit down for the general concept.
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the ceremony largely succeeded in being both very different from the other opening ceremony - and therefore its own creature - and also thought provoking and impressive. Though I did wonder about the emphasis on books at a sports event? Enjoyed the flying books though. The flying athletes over the beautiful music was just lovely.

I was slightly with Robert Armin on the 'is gay the same as being disabled' thing - but only humourously so! I suppose as they'd wheeled in Kenneth Branagh for the first ceremony, they needed an equally big wheel (if not bigger) for the second ceremony. And Dumbledore dressed as the magician Prospero is rather appropriate. And I think McKellen is an equal rights kind of guy for all sections of society?

I thought 'Miranda' was great. And Peter Toole.

I enjoyed the athletes' parade. And it was genuinelly thrilling to know that every seat in the arena was filled. It really did feel like the paralympics had 'come home' after its almost unrecognizable beginnings at Stoke Mandeville.

The 'Spasticus Autisticus' was a great change of pace and whether intended or not a great tribute to a still sorely missed musician and genius rocker.

The 'pity' element was well avoided which is a triumph, surely. It felt like a celebration of extraordinary people for all the right reasons - no small achievement. Though there were one or two moments I couldn't get my head around!

On 'The Last Leg', the comment show on the paralympics, one of the reporters said the best thing about the ceremony was that Paul McCartney did NOT sing at this one! Cruel but fair... [Big Grin]

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my goodness! How could I have forgotten Stephen Hawkings?! [Eek!] Brilliant touch, really lifting the direction of the ceremony into a new area.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

- Posted      Profile for Telepath   Email Telepath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's difficult to get this from the C4 broadcast, but 90% of the show was mass choreography and pattern effects. This came over to full effect in the stadium, but on TV you wouldn't have known it was happening.

Pissed off at what seems like a semi-wasted effort due to the TV coverage, but a live show in front of 80,000 ain't peanuts.

--------------------
Take emptiness and lying speech far from me, and do not give me poverty or wealth. Give me a living sufficient for me.

Posts: 3509 | From: East Anglia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well, the closing ceremony is now on. It appears can haz cyberpunk [Smile]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

First bit was a little boring, lots of floats etc - now they are doing presentations and stuff. Nice to have gifts appreciation for the games makers.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the invoking of the spirits of he seasons and (currently) the Fiery Man is all pleasantly pagan.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Triple-posting to add - its all gone a tad pagan noveau, (I'd be enjoying this more if I liked Coldplay.)

[Crossposted]

Yes,it went cyberpunk and then segued into something a bit more earthy.

Do like any circusy firestuff though - I was clearly a pyromaniac in an earlier existence.

[ 09. September 2012, 20:20: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this a closing ceremony or a coldplay gig?

(I don't object to clodplay particularly, but I'm a bit bored now.)

[Edited to correct spelling error, then decided I like it.]

[ 09. September 2012, 21:01: Message edited by: birdie ]

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yes, I am somewhat disappointed and have now switched over - having decided that I am not going to watch the rest simply out of a sense of duty. Its all that slightly whiny music.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No harm to it, but the Brazilian anthem is a bit tiddly-om-pom-pom.

Bit of wheelchair break dancing quite fun and guy wearing a giant paper condor on his head?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Wow. Guys in fluffy trousers, girls in tutus - apart from condor man and rainbow feather woman. Fireworks.
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
Is this a closing ceremony or a coldplay gig?

It was definitely a Coldplay gig. I was just grateful Macca didn't make an appearance!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An obscene waste of money and a PR boost for Coldplay.
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Ah, a ray of sunshine.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
An obscene waste of money and a PR boost for Coldplay.

Catching the Olympic zeitgeist as usual I see.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

And continuing the note of geniality:

Why was George Osborne booed by 80,000 people at the Paralympics?

Because that's the capacity of the stadium.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was good, and better than the olympic closing ceremony. But then, I don't have a big problem with Coldplay.

I liked the steampunk. I have no idea why they did it, but it was good.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

I thought it was interesting enough. But I think you'd have to be a hard-core fan of Coldplay to have really enjoyed it all the way through. To my mind it's surely a risk to feature certain bands in this way, because pop music is so subjective.

It did worry me when the commentator said at the beginning of the ceremony that there wasn't meant to be much of a narrative theme through it. I work better with narrative themes than with abstract gubbins. It all looked very impressive and clever but I kept catching myself wondering 'but what does it mean?'

There were some lovely moments - the motorbike on the high-wire, people floating through the arena etc. And the Paraorchestra. I saw the programme on that before the ceremony. Very interesting.

I hope the athletes enjoyed it - saw it as a great big party for them and their efforts.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank God its all over. ( apart from the constant replays which will seemingly go on forever).

Now we can get back to being unemployed, paying £1.41 per litre for fuel when the wholesale cost of oil has dropped 20% per barrel, finding it impossible to get credit allowing small businesses to compete, no mortgages available, paying £7 for ribeye steak which cost £4 a few months ago.

I am visiting a man diagnosed with a malignant tumour on his kidney and whom the hospital told to go home after a 3 hour wait because the "consultant was busy on the wards" and this is his third abortive visit to the hospital in a week.

Its what is called Real Life. The magnificant summer games was a magnificent distraction.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:

Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper,

There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.

But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste?

For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor.

When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.

For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.

For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.

Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her.

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

The woman was extravagant in honouring the Saviour of the world.

Extravagance in aid of a feel good factor is something else.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

OK - then explain why Jesus bothered creating wine, when he could have created water ?

There are a lot of challenges and problems in life, part of building up our resilience and energy to deal with that is having the chance to enjoy life.

You may happen not to enjoy sport, or possibly even none of the stuff put on as part of the cultural olympiad, but they have given a lot of people a lift. Which makes one's everyday shit just a little easier to deal with.

--------------------

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't understand the finer details of either the opening or closing ceremonies. But I didn't care --- they were both so much a celebration of the human spirit whatever bodies we find ourselves in!!! Let's all go go go (when and where we can).

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:

There is frankly nothing else worth spending money on.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Down here, we use the phrase, being a happy little vegemite from an old commercial. The phrase is being used sarcastically.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
OK - then explain why Jesus bothered creating wine, when he could have created water ?

There are a lot of challenges and problems in life, part of building up our resilience and energy to deal with that is having the chance to enjoy life.

You may happen not to enjoy sport, or possibly even none of the stuff put on as part of the cultural olympiad, but they have given a lot of people a lift. Which makes one's everyday shit just a little easier to deal with.

It was a feast, and wine was appropriate, so He made wine.

The Olympic and Paralympic Games are about excellence. Not merely of performance, but of character too, and not of the athletes alone, but of the support staff, broadcasters, organisers and the spectators too. That excellence demands resilience and energy. The ceremonies were more than a celebration, but they were a terrific motivator to all involved, just as good wine makes those at a feast realise that this really is a special occasion.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

There is frankly nothing else worth spending money on.
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I didn't dislike any of the ceremonies. But any 'feel good' factor from the Olympics is short lived. There must be far more worthwhile causes for the money - but, sadly, there is no way this government would have spent it anyway.

The 'feel good' factor may feed a soul for a day - better to feed it for a lifetime by improving schools, NHS, transport etc. All of which are desperate for investment.

The Olympics were actually a good example of social spending over private - but those lessons won't be leaned by the Tories either.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I mean that he best use of money is on that which increases happiness. Obviously that assumes a certain outlay on necessities like food and shelter on the individual level, and on services and infrastructure on the social. But it needs to be bread and roses.

I am an apostle of the ephemeral: so much of what makes up the best of life is superfluous, redundant, extravagant and fleeting. Who needs - in the strictly functional sense - parties or poetry? A coat is no warmer for being scarlet than being grey. What need you - as my compatriot remarked - being come to sense, but add the half pence to the pence?

I dislike the imputation that feeling good is a shallow and trivial effect, not to be compared with the sterling qualities of boredom, anxiety, fear or misery. I expect that for some, both participants, volunteers and spectators, the various Games may turn out to be the most significant thing that ever happened to them. And for most - what's the worst that can be said? A spectacle, an entertainment, some moments of vicarious triumph, at the very least a reminder that there are possibilities and dimensions beyond our narrow lives.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
The 'feel good' factor may feed a soul for a day - better to feed it for a lifetime by improving schools, NHS, transport etc. All of which are desperate for investment.

My feeling - no more than that - is that the British have been given a sense of how fucking awesome we can be. We have shown how much we support the disabled, we have shown that we can do thinks better than anyone else. That is a feelgood factor that I suspect will last for along time.

The real challenge (and I blogged on it) is to translate this into changes in policy from a government that is completely out of touch with this sense to put money into those things we need in this country. The real legacy of the summer should be a change in government policy. that is where the money comes from long term.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree. I am an artist and I love to paint. But I can't paint when I'm hungry/uncomfortable/worried.

I know a lot of art comes out of pain, but some basics need to be covered first. I have taught in schools where the environment really does detract from teaching and learning.

This government want us to feel good with no investment imo.

In schools the arts have been the first casualties. I do painting classes, but very much 'under the radar'. Last year I taught painting to Y6 children who hadn't picked up a paintbrush since Reception.

This is due to a crap system which drives out 'so much of what makes up the best of life is superfluous, redundant, extravagant and fleeting.' and uses Market Forces as its only measure (and has done since Thatcher)

[Frown]

The Olympics and their ceremonies were a smoke screen to hide all this imo.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

The real challenge (and I blogged on it) is to translate this into changes in policy from a government that is completely out of touch with this sense to put money into those things we need in this country. The real legacy of the summer should be a change in government policy. that is where the money comes from long term.

Exactly [Overused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Exactly [Overused]
Some money has been made available. OK, not a whole lot, but it isn't getting to where its needed. See here about the Regional Regeration Fund. £1.4bn available, £60 million actually supporting work, £364million parked mostly with the banks, doing f. all but that leaves about a billion in Whitehall doing nothing.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I agree. I am an artist and I love to paint. But I can't paint when I'm hungry/uncomfortable/worried.

YMMV. Most of my best creative work has come from those times when I've been under pressure and unhappy. Things tend to drift a lot in an unfocused sort of way otherwise.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:

The Olympics and their ceremonies were a smoke screen to hide all this imo.

The present administration were quick to bask in the reflected glory when the Games went well - even though they were not in power when the bid was made. I don't doubt that they would like you to take away the message That was a splendid circus (in the Roman sense - and hoping you won't notice the shortfall in bread). But people are equally able to read into it: We did that well. We should have more of the provision which made it possible.

What I don't think you get is No Spectacle = More for the unspectacular.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

And indicentally, when churches stop spending hundreds of thousands on their buildings "so they can be better used for the community" (Ha!) I might listen to them more when telling the government where to spend its money.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016