homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Religious freedom for Judges?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Religious freedom for Judges?
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In this article from the Guardian Amanda Bancroft asks this question:
quote:
from the article:
When one reads the remarks of the judge knowing his belief system, one can only ask: did the judge view this case only on the context of the crime she actually committed, or also in the context of a crime against a god which may not be hers?

I think we may be very close to dead-horse territory here but there certainly is a lot to discuss from the article... such as:
  • What kind of sentence should inducing an abortion at 39 weeks carry?
  • Is she actually guilty of inducing labour and killing her newborn child?
  • Are the judges comments on the Abortion Act relevant?
  • Is the judge right in how the statute law on abortion is indeed used very differently to how it was intended?
  • What degree of freedom of thought are judges entitled to?
  • Should we be concerned that the article appears to be saying that a judge who holds religious belief should not be a judge?

That should do for starters... I am sure some will see this article as part of the great Secular-anti-Christian-conspiracy™ but I think it raises so many questions for discussion

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the article is (by circumlocution) actually suggesting that judges with particular beliefs should not preside over matters where the judge's beliefs are likely to be conflict with the majority's morals.

Not a defensible position to take.

It's a judge's job to interpret and apply the law. If the judge gets it wrong (as they often do) the proper process is to appeal the judgment. This will be the case regardless of whether the judge erred because of his or her personal beliefs.

Sentencing can be tricky because each case is individual, and similar cases can only be compared by analogy. Even so, judges still have to reach a conclusion which is reasonable, and if it is not reasonable it can be overturned on appeal.

So the bottom line is that if the judge gets the law wrong because of personal beliefs, the error can and should be cured by appeal. And if the judge doesn't get it wrong - there's no problem. Judges are only human - they have their own beliefs and prejudices just like the rest of us. While they are required to put them aside, it is no good insisting that they must not have them at all.

Of course all this only works if sufficient legal aid is allowed to those who require it - but I'll leave that aside.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the surface, there would appear to be a clear case for appeal. If nothing else, Lord Hewart's aphorism would apply.

It does not look like a proper decision was made, given the judge's rather fundamentalist religio-political views.

I realise that, whichever way a second opinion went, there would be some feeling of bias from one or another view - but at least the system would have been reviewed.

Editing to add that a judge's freedom of religion has the same limit as anyone else's: you can only go so far as the line where you start doing harm to someone else. 8 years and probably no psychiatric help is definite harm to an obviously troubled lady.

Of course, in Cameron's new England, the chances of someone getting the money to do an appeal is pretty remote, but, hey, ya gets what ya pays (or votes) for.

[ 21. September 2012, 00:12: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HB, if you look below the line of the article, you will see it repeatedly pointed out that the Judge didn't apply the law incorrectly.

It appears whatever his personal opinions may be, they didn't affect his judgment.

That should be the end of the story.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but let us discuss the issue of personal stance, belief, feelings and values affecting judging of legal cases, and perhaps professional behaviour in other areas as well. I am going to articulate a strong point of view here, which reflects liberal and tolerant values, and demands professional conduct from those in power positions and behaviour as professionals. It is not right to impose personal belief on to judging of legal cases any more than it is right to impose personal feelings and belief on science experiments.

A judge could believe in anything or nothing. But must set aside all biases, preferences, and heart felt beliefs. As any of us who serve the public do. I don't know how it works in other places, but courts here have a bevy of judges and they divide up who hears what case based on assignment by the chief justice and discussion. The point is that cases should go to judges who have expertise in particular areas. It is not much to have a professional set him/her self aside when a case might cause personal troubles. Judges are lawyers and only expert in law matters even if they have some sort of aura and real power. Misconduct can be alleged, albeit investigated and prosecuted with difficulty, if they don't behave themselves.

A judge who is worth anything will set aside personal feelings and belief and do the right thing. A judge who cannot do that must resign or be removed. I don't know how your system precisely works, but there could be an appeal here based on a judge's remarks, though the appeal would only be I think on the basis of whether the sentence is fit or not, and not about the specifics of the remarks if the sentence is fit.

I am reminded of the UK case of the counsellor who refused to counsel same-sex couples and lost his job. He refused to be a professional and set aside personal feelings and belief, and thus justly was dismissed. We've had the same thing here in Canada where marriage commissioners have been fired for refusing same sex couples. Again, the professional role must triumph. There really is no other way.

So in answer to the OP question, yes religious freedom for the judges, but setting aside of the personal when entering into the professional world. Period.

[ 21. September 2012, 03:23: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
It is not right to impose personal belief on to judging of legal cases any more than it is right to impose personal feelings and belief on science experiments.

I agree.

quote:
The point is that cases should go to judges who have expertise in particular areas. It is not much to have a professional set him/her self aside when a case might cause personal troubles.
The appropriate starting point is that cases should be assigned to judges with expertise in the relevant area of law. The justice system is not properly served if well-qualified judges either refuse, or are prevented from hearing, cases they are legally well qualified to deal with. As you say, it is up to the judge to put all personal feelings aside.

The question is what circumstances should be considered too risky for a judge to hear a case. Personal circumstances (such as a financial interest in the case, or an association with one of the litigants) will be very good reason for this.

However I don't see that it follows that a judge should refuse to hear a case because of his or her personal beliefs. Furthermore, there would be practical difficulties. Judges could end up recusing themselves right left and centre resulting in delays and expense to litigants.

quote:
I don't know how your system precisely works, but there could be an appeal here based on a judge's remarks, though the appeal would only be I think on the basis of whether the sentence is fit or not, and not about the specifics of the remarks if the sentence is fit.
It will be interesting to see if any appeal is filed.

quote:
I am reminded of the UK case of the counsellor who refused to counsel same-sex couples and lost his job. He refused to be a professional and set aside personal feelings and belief, and thus justly was dismissed. We've had the same thing here in Canada where marriage commissioners have been fired for refusing same sex couples. Again, the professional role must triumph. There really is no other way.
Perhaps a better case involved the attempted extradition of General Pinochet. The highest appeal court in the UK (the House of Lords) ruled 3-2 in favour. The wife of one of the judges in favour was heavily involved in Amnesty International, which led to an accusation of apparent bias. I don't think it was ever argued that the law lord in question actually was biased, and there was no evidence that he was.

The result of that case was a great many resignations by judges and their partners from various voluntary organisations, societies and charities.

I don't think that was a desirable outcome.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
In this article from the Guardian Amanda Bancroft asks this question:
quote:
from the article:
When one reads the remarks of the judge knowing his belief system, one can only ask: did the judge view this case only on the context of the crime she actually committed, or also in the context of a crime against a god which may not be hers?

I think we may be very close to dead-horse territory here but there certainly is a lot to discuss from the article... such as:
  • What kind of sentence should inducing an abortion at 39 weeks carry?
    Comparable to that for infanticide. At 39 weeks, this really is murdering a baby. That is not a matter of pro- or anti- abortion rhetoric. The sentence should have taken into account whether she pleaded guilty or not guilty and that she doesn't appear to have been willing to own up to what she has done with the baby's corpse.
  • Is she actually guilty of inducing labour and killing her newborn child?
    Yes
  • Are the judges comments on the Abortion Act relevant?
    Remember that his comments have been mediated through the words of a hostile journalist. It is difficult though to disagree with the statement that the legislation has been misrepresented and "liberally construed in practice so as to make abortion available essentially on demand prior to 24 weeks with the approval of registered medical practitioners."
  • Is the judge right in how the statute law on abortion is indeed used very differently to how it was intended?
    Yes. At the time the Act was passed, it was intended that abortion would be a rare concession to hard circumstances, only allowed after careful thought and investigation. It was also motivated by a wish to see off the knitting needle harpies. It wasn't envisaged that there would be clinics selling abortions, and providing rubber stamp medical approvals in duplicate.
  • What degree of freedom of thought are judges entitled to?
    They should not be influenced or appear to be influenced by their personal quirks, but that also means they should not be more progressive than the public at large.
  • Should we be concerned that the article appears to be saying that a judge who holds religious belief should not be a judge?
    Very.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No matter what third-party ruse you use to generate the discussion, threads about abortion belong in DH. Down you go.

--Tom Clune, Purgatory Host

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
On the surface, there would appear to be a clear case for appeal. If nothing else, Lord Hewart's aphorism would apply.

It does not look like a proper decision was made, given the judge's rather fundamentalist religio-political views.

I realise that, whichever way a second opinion went, there would be some feeling of bias from one or another view - but at least the system would have been reviewed.

Editing to add that a judge's freedom of religion has the same limit as anyone else's: you can only go so far as the line where you start doing harm to someone else. 8 years and probably no psychiatric help is definite harm to an obviously troubled lady.

Of course, in Cameron's new England, the chances of someone getting the money to do an appeal is pretty remote, but, hey, ya gets what ya pays (or votes) for.

8 years is also the tariff for rape of a child, where at least the child is alive at the end of the ordeal. It is therefore interesting to consider whether HB considers the two offences comparable, and whether he would extend the same concern to a convicted paedophile as apparently offered by his '8 years and probably no psychiatric help is definite harm to an obviously troubled lady.' At some point the damage that 'obviously troubled' people do becomes criminal, and needs to be dealt with as such.

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Religious freedom for Judges?" That's a happy capital letter, that "J". I first thought thge trhead was goping to be about the Book of Judges, or the Judges of Israel. But, even before I opened it, I realisewd that it realkly ought to be about the Judges of Megacity One.

Which would be a much more interesting thing to discuss than this dismal topic. A judge has a whinge about the law, the Graduienaian has a whinge aboiut the judge, the OP has a whinge anout the article, and opens this topic for us all to whinge back. And all based on a desperately sad and very unusual court case involving at least one completely screwed up person and maybe a whole family of them. Hard cases make bad laws as they say and other than prurient interest in other people's troubles I can't see much good coming out of this.

Things were much simpler in 2000 AD.

quote:

I do not break the law - I AM the Law!!

quote:

• Be pure!
  • Be vigilant!!
  • BEHAVE!!!

[ 21. September 2012, 16:02: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cod:
The justice system is not properly served if well-qualified judges either refuse, or are prevented from hearing, cases they are legally well qualified to deal with. As you say, it is up to the judge to put all personal feelings aside.

If they cannot, they do not have the proper temperament to be a judge and should step down.

[ 21. September 2012, 16:05: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might be interesting to know who grassed her up as having taken labour-inducing drugs. Week 39 is near-as-dammit full term - and stillbirths can happen in the best-regulated families. How would anyone know it wasn't a natural occurrence? How did the mother know that, at such a late stage, she wouldn't produce a living child?
All very strange - and very sad - as the columnist comments, this woman seems to have *issues* around pregnancy. Eight years is, imo, ridiculous - especially if we compare that to some of the equally imbecilic leniency shown in some cases of truly vicious and dangerous individuals - I hope she appeals and gets the psychiatric help she needs.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken,

My apologies for the inappropriate capital letter.

I don't think the judge was having a whinge at the law. I think he was making a precise and accurate assessment of the application and relevance of the Abortion Act 1967. And I think (someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to correct this) his referral to the Act was inevitable given the law in such a case.

I think the Guardian article is completely out of line.

Two threads in my thinking here. Firstly the idiotic Christians in this country who think they are being persecuted need to get out and see the world but reading this article I could see more red meat for the wolves.

Secondly, I detect among much of the Left in the UK an anti-Christian feeling which as a Christian lefty I find a bit tedious (and it is extremely predictable and samey) but moreover there are some of the left who really want to make abortion an issue - much like in the States. And this I think is a really bad move - morally and politically. Morally, as we may end up where America is that Abortion is a wedge issue whereby the life or otherwise of an unborn child is a wonderful tool for right wing zealots to get elected by but then make things
worse for poor children be they unborn or otherwise. And politically there are many of us on the left who have big moral objections to a free-for-all on abortion and given how fractured left-of-centre politics is the UK, alienating another group strikes me as a really bad idea.

But to return to the original point of the article, she is seems to be saying that essentially anyone who holds a religious view is not qualified to be a judge, which I think is beyond ridiculous.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
8 years seems a bit light to me. Start from the proposition that this is a near manslaughter, being brought down from murder because there's some evidence - not apparent from the press link - of mental impairment giving rise to diminished responsibility. That gives a starting point of 15 years or so. There seems little remorse, given that she won't disclose where the body may be, and the link does not give details of any other mitigating features. Lets assume that there are some. There should be some discount for the utilitarian value of the plea of guilty and if this were entered early, that is around 25%. Overall, and assuming a lot in the accused's favour, that leaves a sentence of 9 years plus. This analysis does not cover such local matters as the imposition of a non-parole period and the determination of a suitable period to be spent subject to the supervision of a parole officer.

Of course, a judge should set aside personal viewpoints in determining any case. We don't know the particular views of this judge towards abortion, apart from some general opinions expressed by a group with which he was closely connected a decade ago. The reported comment about an interpretation of the Abortion Act is not anti-abortion, but rather one on a popular interpretation which the judge considers incorrect. That does not indicate his opinion of abortion generally, but does show that he is looking at relevant legislation and considering its impact on the decision he is to make.

Finally, judges make decisions every day which are unpopular with some people. It's a judge's role to make decisions, a task from which many people shy. If a judge is thought to have erred, there is the course of an appeal to have the correctness of the decision as a matter of law reviewed. But the review is whether there has been an error of law, not whether some people disagree with the outcome.

[ 22. September 2012, 04:12: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are actually 5 grounds for abortion before 24 weeks in the UK, so this reporting isn't brilliant. I can find where that quotation comes from, the NHS website summary of medical abortions verbatim. Using the official statistics published abortion statistics for 2011 (pdf) pages 4 & 5 on the reader which references its findings to the different reasons as given in the Abortion Act 1967 gives:

quote:
  1. the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk to the life of the pregnant woman greater than if the pregnancy were terminated (Abortion Act, 1967 as amended, section 1(1)(c))
  2. the termination is necessary to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman (section 1(1)(b))
  3. the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman (section 1(1)(a))
  4. the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of any existing children of the family of the pregnant woman (section 1(1)(a))
  5. there is a substantial risk that if the child were born it would suffer from such physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously handicapped (section 1(1)(d))
or, in an emergency, certified by the operating practitioner as immediately necessary:
  • F to save the life of the pregnant woman (section 1(4))
    G to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman (section 1(4))

(sorry, it wouldn't let me format this to continue a lettered list after a comment)

Two points, the Act isn't used as it was originally written, but firstly, from the reports, this particular case sounds as if she'd possibly fit into ground G. Secondly, looking at the way the Act is used, 91% of abortions were carried out at under 13 weeks gestation and 78% at under 10 weeks gestation in 2011 and 98% were carried out under ground C, the least stringent of the reasons. (This last comes from table 3a)

I find this subject difficult, because nobody particularly wants abortion to be used instead of contraception, on ethical grounds, but the timing of the vast majority of abortions has to be from women finding that they are pregnant and not wanting to continue with the pregnancy. The number of abortions went up by 0.2% from 2010 to 2011 and 7.7% from 2001 to 2010; there was a drop from 2009 to 2010. There is currently a slowing of the rate of increase in the number of abortions.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She might have fitted into ground G if she'd sought an abortion early in her term. But at 39 weeks, whether she could or could not have had an abortion is irrelevant. So is how she would have been treated if she'd sought one at the proper time. At 39 weeks, this was a viable baby, not even classed as premature. There are probably plenty of shipmates who were born before 39 weeks or who loved, cared for and healthy children who were.

This isn't about abortion. It isn't about any 'right to choose'. Unless this baby had died in utero or died during birth, both of which are tragic and cause anguish to those afflicted, he or she should have lived.

Nor is anyone entitled to say, 'I have issues about pregnancy; so if I have a child, people should be sympathetic if I bump him or her off'. We don't accept that argument for 'I don't like the sound of a baby crying', or 'the baby was the child of my partner's ex-husband'.

For the same reason, it is not relevant what the judge's personal views on abortion might be. It is dishonest journalism to suggest that it might be.

The underlying premise in the article is:-
'This is a woman. Therefore she is a victim. Therefore we should be sympathetic'.

Either one accepts that, in which case all else and a lot more follows, or one doesn't.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a difficult case, and I wasn't arguing from the specifics as we've had them reported because I'm not sure we know enough of the facts to be able to discuss it fully. I was using the grounds as laid out in the Abortion Act 1967 to query whether the judge was using the law appropriately. Ground G applies to cases after 24 weeks.

We don't know what happened here. I know, from personal experience, that even slightly premature babies can be born with their lungs not fully developed and need fast medical intervention shortly after birth. From the information that has been published we don't know enough to sit in judgement.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
She might have fitted into ground G if she'd sought an abortion early in her term. But at 39 weeks, whether she could or could not have had an abortion is irrelevant. So is how she would have been treated if she'd sought one at the proper time. At 39 weeks, this was a viable baby, not even classed as premature. There are probably plenty of shipmates who were born before 39 weeks or who loved, cared for and healthy children who were.

This isn't about abortion. It isn't about any 'right to choose'. Unless this baby had died in utero or died during birth, both of which are tragic and cause anguish to those afflicted, he or she should have lived.

Nor is anyone entitled to say, 'I have issues about pregnancy; so if I have a child, people should be sympathetic if I bump him or her off'. We don't accept that argument for 'I don't like the sound of a baby crying', or 'the baby was the child of my partner's ex-husband'.

For the same reason, it is not relevant what the judge's personal views on abortion might be. It is dishonest journalism to suggest that it might be.

The underlying premise in the article is:-

'This is a woman. Therefore she is a victim. Therefore we should be sympathetic'.

Either one accepts that, in which case all else and a lot more follows, or one doesn't.

Much of what you say is true, Enoch, however this

< 'This is a woman. Therefore she is a victim. Therefore we should be sympathetic'.

may possibly not be the whole story - I cannot see anyone in their right mind wanting to go through labour just because a new child might be inconvenient. In fact, it's easier to deliver a living child at that stage than one that has already died in the womb. So there is something more going on here, I would think. As CK says, we really don't know all the facts - but my guess would be the mother is mentally unstable and a jail term is inappropriate.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016