homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Lord Carey thread

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Lord Carey thread
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a bit uncomfortable with the direction this comment is taking this thread in Dead Horses.

One thing to discuss something that an individual said, something else to make claims about a named person (which his son, of all people, appears to dispute on the thread) and then something else again to angrily claim that you should not claim to know your own father.

I know passions are aroused, but does it really have to be this personal about a person who isn't here to defend themselves?

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're right - we should remove all threads involving any people who aren't here to defend themselves. Would that include Jesus?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is the added fact that the son is present for the demonizing of his father. Does there really need to be the level of personal attacks to people to make their point? The rhetoric in that thread makes me question those who resort to it.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl:
There is the added fact that the son is present for the demonizing of his father. Does there really need to be the level of personal attacks to people to make their point? The rhetoric in that thread makes me question those who resort to it.

My presence as a lurker and occasional poster should make no difference. Public figures are attacked - sometimes justifiably and sometimes not. This is free speech. And personal discomfort should not limit free speech. OTOH, we are equally entitled to make judgements about the good faith of some posters when they resort to ad hominems and gossip rather than making serious points.
Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spawn:

My apologies for causing you distress with comment about your papa: as one clergy child to another I should have remembered just how awkward it can be to hear public opinions of a loved parent.

Please would you point out to your Dad that he causes deep offence when he uses such emotive comparisons: having friends who lost entire extended families in the death camps and who themselves experienced real terror and persecution before being put onto Kindertransporte I am reluctant to let this sort of thing pass without comment.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spawn occasionally defends Lord Carey where a matter of fact is concerned.

He did so, on one occasion, about something I said and I am indebted to him for doing so.

[ 16. October 2012, 15:36: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I applaud your position Spawn.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Please would you point out to your Dad that he causes deep offence when he uses such emotive comparisons: having friends who lost entire extended families in the death camps and who themselves experienced real terror and persecution before being put onto Kindertransporte I am reluctant to let this sort of thing pass without comment.

Why should Spawn be expected to carry messages to his father?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Why should Spawn be expected to carry messages to his father?
Perhaps if one of his children tries to explain to Lord Carey how his words/comparison caused offence he might get the message: I don't think the words that brought about the original thread were a one-off.

Of course it may be naive to hope that this might happen...

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and perhaps unreasonable

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Would anyone really expect a scene to occur where Spawn starts a conversation "...you know, I just had someone on the internet post that what you said was offensive. They think I should explain that to you so that maybe you'd stop"?

And is it likely to do any good even if it happened? Of course not. Spawn is not going to be converted to your cause because he reads an anonymous post, and neither is Lord Carey.

Of course you realise that. So why would you bother to ask Spawn to do it?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What conversations the Carey family may or may not have in their own home is so not Ship's business. Or anyone else's come to that.

Tubbs
Styx Host

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Post from MDijon
quote:
Would anyone really expect a scene to occur where Spawn starts a conversation "...you know, I just had someone on the internet post that what you said was offensive. They think I should explain that to you so that maybe you'd stop"?
No, I'm not that naive, just wonder whether it may be partly a generational thing?

--------------------

the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
No, I'm not that naive, just wonder whether it may be partly a generational thing?

I'm sorry, can you stop now? It was inappropriate the first time, stop talking about it.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the long ranger:
quote:

I'm sorry, can you stop now? It was inappropriate the first time, stop talking about it.
This. Only an ill mannered jerk would think it’s appropriate to approach someone on the Internet and ask them to pass messages on their behalf onto a relative who happens to be a public figure. Particularly when they’ve been told to stop.

And, as this conversation has nothing to do with Ship’s business, it is now closed.

Tubbs
Styx Host

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016