homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Good vibrations

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Good vibrations
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of Bob Dylan's songs reach deep, for me, particularly this one: The
lyrics combined with their delivery get me, time after time. I can meditate on it.

Now I know that a lot of the words are drawn from the Bible, but before I knew the Bible I was being touched by this song. Why?

Why do some songs/words/music touch us, while others don't?

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
Some of Bob Dylan's songs reach deep, for me, particularly this one: The
lyrics combined with their delivery get me, time after time. I can meditate on it.

Now I know that a lot of the words are drawn from the Bible, but before I knew the Bible I was being touched by this song. Why?

Why do some songs/words/music touch us, while others don't?

I don't know - maybe it struck a chord with something you were familiar with, but knew not from whence it came?
Anyway, great track - another good 'un from that album is "In the Summertime." Again, somehow familiar.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's good to meet someone else who enjoys it, Mark Betts.

It's more like a hymn to me than a song.

I don't know what I don't know, hence the thread. All ideas are welcome. I don't think that the words struck a chord of familiarity when I first heard it, although they do now. It could be that the harmonica resonates, as I'm told my father used to play one, although he gave it up before my childhood memories kick in.

I only know that it touches me deeply, not in the mind as much as in the soul/spirit?

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016