homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hot Date for the Apocalypse

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Hot Date for the Apocalypse
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the Mayans have been kind enough to give us the date of the end, what are your plans for 20 December; your last day on this earth?
End of the world party? Wild spree of madness, fervent prayer or quiet night with a book?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have heard all this before
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heard what? This is not a thread about the silly misinterpretations of the Mayan calender. This is a thread about people's silly plans for the night before.
Any excuse for a party, in my book.

Apologies if there has been a thread like this and I missed it.

Edited for clarity. Yes, it was worse.

[ 18. October 2012, 19:13: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I might get completely hammered. Because I will not have a night of throwing up or a hangover.

And I will also put every drink, including stupid mixtures of cocktails and champers and the most expensive stuff I can find on my credit card, because I will never have to pay it off.

If, of course, it doesn't happen, I will be in serious trouble. But we can always trust the Mayans, can't we?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
20 December, eh? Well that lets us off Christmas (so the end of the world has an upside).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't care if we go before Christmas. I am still going to watch Miracle on 34th Street (the original, with Edmund Gwenn and Natalie Wood--not any of the amazingly crappy remakes). It's tradition. And what better way to spend the Last Day than watching the one, true Santa Claus restoring people's faith in what he stands for?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, good. [Paranoid] We'll be around to do the Family Christmas event on Advent III, but not Christmas Eve. After all the practicing the choir is doing, can't we tack a sticky note with a few extra days onto the Mayan calendar?

Bummer.

Oh, and maybe add a couple more days after that. It's just so hard to fit in End of the World™ events with such a busy schedule, you know.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sitting at my computer posting on the Ship because I'll finally be able to guarantee having the last word.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
same thing every year on the solstice - freezing my ass off at a bonfire, drinking too much mulled wine, singing loudly, and probably saying things I'd regret - except I won't have to worry about the regrets. [Big Grin]

maybe I'll finally tell that one former co-worker of mine how much time I have spent staring at his butt.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Sitting at my computer posting on the Ship because I'll finally be able to guarantee having the last word.

And meanwhile, I'll be trying to see if I can't break all ten commandments and a few implied rules in a single post.

It's either that, or try to score a last date in some bar. I know which one's probably more fun.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possible chat-up line: hey, let's go up to my place and break all Ten Commandments!*

(Followed by hours of date staring glumly at the Complete Works of Aristotle at the beddes heed while Ariston hammers at his laptop).

*success could depend on a certain level of Biblical illiteracy.

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I just found the first conversation I want to put on the Quotes File.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Possible chat-up line: hey, let's go up to my place and break all Ten Commandments!*

[Killing me]

I'll need to buy some new underwear - essential if we're to be caught up to meet the Lord in the air. I might be wearing a skirt that day.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
...if we're to be caught up to meet the Lord in the air.

I hate to break this to you, but if the Mayans were right that's not going to be an issue.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last Thursday before Christmas....I'm likely to be having a pre Christmas celebration with some jugglers, so any madness could be happening. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other hand, Hanukkah starts on December 9--so the Hannukah Elf (on his Flying Dreidel) will have completed his annual chores before the Mayans blow the whistle for time.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would want to spend the entire night making love with my sweetheart, as niether one of us would have to get up for work the next day.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cenobite
Shipmate
# 14853

- Posted      Profile for Cenobite   Email Cenobite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Mrs Cenobite's birthday, so we will celebrate in style!

--------------------
Cenobite: means "Common Life"; cenobites lived in community, serving one another and the rest of humanity.

Posts: 109 | From: On a journey of discovery. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no, that's the day BEFORE the choir party! Can't they postpone it by one day to let us really make the party go with a BANG!?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be going to a wonderful choral concert with a good friend, so not a bad last-night-ever!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone remember a couple of years ago (I think) the tabloids getting excited about the day they were going to collide particles at Cern? If the people in Cern got the experiment wrong, the world would explode.

It was due to happen mid-morning (a precise time was given) and it was a beautiful sunny day. Somehow at that time I was outside looking up at the sky thinking that I didn't want to die indoors on such a beautiful day and how lovely the world was. Then, suddenly -

- nothing happened.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loquacious beachcomber:
I would want to spend the entire night making love with my sweetheart, as niether one of us would have to get up for work the next day.

Meanwhile, what will your wife be doing?

[Biased]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We thought about going down to the Yucatan for the big event, on the theory that if the end of the world was ushered in by some wild Indiana Jones style special effects, we would have a front row seat, and that if the world didn't end, we could go back to Modelos on the beach. But that didn't come together, and it will probably be packed anyway. So we are currently planning on sequestering ourselves in the house with a bottle of champagne or three. I make a delicious Yucatan-style turkey dish in my slow cooker from time to time, maybe I will make that for the night of the big event.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
20 December, eh? Well that lets us off Christmas (so the end of the world has an upside).

Damm this is the first year that I am organised and being prepared - and now I won't need to be. I could have spent all that money on loose living instead.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I will prepare a logbook of things that have happened so I can show St Peter the real story.

If that doesn't happen, I will be hosting. as usual, and counting down to midnight.

Or whenever it happens.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whose midnight I wonder? And on what side of the dateline?

Ah, maybe Yucatan's. Midnight. Or dawn. Or sunset. Or...as Pete says "Whenever".

[ 20. October 2012, 07:18: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

What matter the time? Simply continue the party.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Just as a matter of interest, any detail on what form The End will take? Giant wolf eating the sun? Earth gaping and the sea rising? The stars going out one by one?

I mean will there be anything going on that would make it worth while putting your glass down, pulling on a few clothes and going outside to look?

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You must go out to see the credits, listed in the sky:

THE END
Produced and directed by God
Music by Wagner

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Just as a matter of interest, any detail on what form The End will take? Giant wolf eating the sun? Earth gaping and the sea rising? The stars going out one by one?

I mean will there be anything going on that would make it worth while putting your glass down, pulling on a few clothes and going outside to look?

The Mayans neglected that detail. The scholars studying the event have arrived at many different theories, almost as if pulling them out of their...well, far be it from me to criticise the
experts.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

THE END
Music by Wagner

Wagner was Mayan?
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

THE END
Music by Wagner

Wagner was Mayan?
The Mayans just predicted (or not) the end. They didn't predict the music, because Herr Wagner wasn't around yet.
[Biased]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wonder about what to wear... Is it formal, do you think? Or mart casual? Funeral black?
Should I get my hair done?

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think comfy clothing would be correct. Who knows what gyrations and acrobatics we might be subject to? Surely it will be a big finish rather than a quiet little *poof*.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I understand most actual, living Mayans aren't that worried. I hope they reap a good tourism bump during December.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Silly Lyda. The Mayans are not worried as the aliens who helped them build their pyramids are returning to pick them up before the end.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Well, damn! Maybe I should go to the Yucatan for the holidays and stow away on a rescue ship. I just hope it won't be the Vogons making way for an interstellar bypass. My own teenage poetry is about the worst poetry I could handle. [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to prepare special food for a fun party to celebrate the end of the world. But what exactly? Maybe a quiche? Apple crumble?

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Devils on horseback, surely?

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Surely it will be a big finish rather than a quiet little *poof*.

Not according to TS Eliot, but that's another story.

Or is it?

I shall wear my trousers rolled. (Gotta feel sad for my daughter, though, who turns 20 that day)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I imagine the end of the world being more like Glyndebourne. Dress will be informal (ie, black tie/dinner suit) and the evening will finish with the orchestra playing the national anthem ('God save the King' of course, God being an Englishman).

The question will then be whether to repair to the bar for a final drink or to endure the scrum of exiting the car park. People will depart for Heaven, Valhalla, Sto'Vo'Kor etc as appropriate, with those whose manifold wickedness means they are not fit for eternal bliss heading for Guildford.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I just hope there's some air traffic control in place. Otherwise there could be aerial pile ups between raptured Southern Baptists and galloping Valkyries, particularly with all those spaceships dodging about trying to get their tractor beams in position.

I'm seeing a lot of people ending up in the wrong afterlife.

Sarumriterules
Apprentice
# 16032

- Posted      Profile for Sarumriterules   Email Sarumriterules   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does one have to book?

--------------------
Liber Sapientiae 1:11

Posts: 13 | From: Kent | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Surely reservations would be wise, one would think.

I wonder if there's travel insurance available to cover the potential destination snafus that Firenze warned us about?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarumriterules:
Does one have to book?

Everyone will be there. Of course you have to book.
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Everyone will be there. Of course you have to book.

Sounds like a bit of a crush. I think I'll stay home and watch the highlights the next day.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rowen:
Apple crumble?

Apple crumble with added blueberries and red-currants topped with lashings and lashings of sweetened whipped cream dusted with fresh-ground nutmeg and cinnamon and a big scoop of vanilla ice cream with maple drizzled across it fancily.
Served on a large white bone china dessert plate pref with tiny floral designs in red and cornflower blue round the circumference...

[ 21. October 2012, 21:51: Message edited by: Galilit ]

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Sounds good, but I will have to make sure I collect the plate it's on, and take it with me. I hate leaving containers behind after functions like this, and who knows? I might need it in the afterlife for events there.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016